HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah, I don't think there is any chance Columbus has any interest in taking back Anderson and I don't even think Anderson would accept this with his NTC.

I'd take a chance on Laine and give up that other 1st we have for next season + a prospect.
I'd be shocked if CBJ gets back a 1st in any perspective Laine trade, maybe if there's a bunch of teams competing for him.

But his salary, trade demands, off ice issues (which i'm not holding against him, someone reaching out for help shouldn't be viewed negatively, but in the context of trade value, it matters) will make it difficult, IMO for the Blue Jackets to maximize his trade value.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That is prerequisite No. 1. If Laine even wants to talk to MTL, then HuGo can arrange the trade. If not, no discussion.
Nevermind the insanity that is Montreal, the Canadiens are rebuilding, not contending. He’s going to want another big deal in two years. Why go to a rebuild instead of a contender?

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Laine to habs is ok by me.
and
Laine said he wanted to show at the draft that he was a big time player. What better way then scoring many goals against the figs

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
I don’t get why Laine would want to come to an insane market. Scrutiny would be huge. A place like Nashville would make more sense and he’d get to play with. Stamkos on a team trying to contend. Columbus wants youth, they could give Askaroth…
Nashville is not really in this game. Their cap space is 600k and they need to sign Tomasino and Parssinen. This would require 50% retention on Laine and contrct going to CBJ otherwise they cannot fit. They still carry 11,8M and 8,8M from buyouts of Duchene, Johansen and Turris which is absolutely insane.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Columbus aint dumb. If they are to trade laine for andersen + 3rd. Theyd rather keep him. He’ll be PPG this year and they will trade him at deadline retained for a first and good prospect to a contender. The only reason he can be cheaper right now is because of his last seasons plagued with injuries.

Laine his massive, love the spotlight, same age as Suzuki and a goal scorer. Exactly what the doctor ordered. Hed be our second biggest forward after Slafkovsky.

Stop with the nonsens bad offers.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm not that crazy about Laine, but I do have to admit getting him would add a bit of intrigue to the early season. Rebuilds are good in the long run and all, but I'd be lying if I didn't say it can get a bit boring at times.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsQC

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Anaheim should make a package Zegras vs Laine. Anaheim need goalscoring and Columbus a second centerman. I don’t know why this is not a possibility

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Nevermind the insanity that is Montreal, the Canadiens are rebuilding, not contending. He’s going to want another big deal in two years. Why go to a rebuild instead of a contender?
I do not see an issue there. We are rebuilding which would ease the pressure in next couple years. After 2-3 years we can quickly turn into contender, especially if Laine works out to be successful. He is still just 26, so he can play next 8 years. I also do not think he will ask for big money considering injuries and mental health issues.

B1g B1rd

Habs Best Def of all times
May 21, 2018
Columbus aint dumb. If they are to trade laine for andersen + 3rd. Theyd rather keep him. He’ll be PPG this year and they will trade him at deadline retained for a first and good prospect to a contender. The only reason he can be cheaper right now is because of his last seasons plagued with injuries.

Laine his massive, love the spotlight, same age as Suzuki and a goal scorer. Exactly what the doctor ordered. Hed be our second biggest forward after Slafkovsky.

Stop with the nonsens bad offers.
Well then, they keep him. It's not non sense bad offers. Laine has many question marks and is not worth giving more. And its not like we absolutely need him.

Next!

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I could be wrong but wasn't Laine's personality in Winnipeg known for not giving a hoot about city pressure/what others thought of him? I seem to recall that being discussed years ago but I could be off. That he was pretty insouciant about markets.

Reactions: ReHabs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Nashville is not really in this game. Their cap space is 600k and they need to sign Tomasino and Parssinen. This would require 50% retention on Laine and contrct going to CBJ otherwise they cannot fit. They still carry 11,8M and 8,8M from buyouts of Duchene, Johansen and Turris which is absolutely insane.
20 mil in buyouts? :laugh:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I do not see an issue there. We are rebuilding which would ease the pressure in next couple years. After 2-3 years we can quickly turn into contender, especially if Laine works out to be successful. He is still just 26, so he can play next 8 years. I also do not think he will ask for big money considering injuries and mental health issues.
From Laine's perspective, I don't know why he'd want to come here. Why not a contender? If Canada then maybe Edmonton if they can make the numbers work... I just don't see why he'd want to come here.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Which contender currently has the cap space?
Don't know. But teams always find a way around the cap.

If Columbus is rebuilding (they are asking for picks in return) then they might just eat a pile of the cap. Or maybe they take a salary dump to make it work. Similar to what we were looking to do - trade for vets and bad contracts in return for picks/prospects.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
If you're a contender, you're way less likely to take a flier on him at that salary. You really don't know what you're getting and it's way riskier.

Contending teams won't be able to eat the whole thing so there's going to be a ton of retention needed. For that, the team will probably have to give up a lot more to get him. Given the risk I mentioned, that's a harder sell.

Montreal is insanity, sure.. when we don't suck. It's not nearly as bad at the moment as usual.

Reactions: ReHabs

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
If you're a contender, you're way less likely to take a flier on him at that salary. You really don't know what you're getting and it's way riskier.

Contending teams won't be able to eat the whole thing so there's going to be a ton of retention needed. For that, the team will probably have to give up a lot more to get him. Given the risk I mentioned, that's a harder sell.

Montreal is insanity, sure.. when we don't suck. It's not nearly as bad at the moment as usual.

That's such an underrated point at the end here.

Somewhat surprisingly, I don't think we have a lot of Montrealers on this board so it kind of flies under the radar but yeah, the Canadiens are trash and have been trash for years. In terms of media pressure, there's very little right now. The city just doesn't care about the Canadiens right now.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That's why Columbus has indicated that they want prospects. They're rebuilding. For two years they could just eat his salary (or much of it.)

Edmonton for example are trying to win now. So maybe they give up picks/prospects. Trade back a bad contract and Columbus eats some of it. Laine has two years to try to win the cup.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022

A contender would be nuts to acquire Laine at full cap-hit. The downside risk can actually derail their contending window.

But we knew that. Most of us anyway.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I don’t get why Laine would want to come to an insane market. Scrutiny would be huge. A place like Nashville would make more sense and he’d get to play with. Stamkos on a team trying to contend. Columbus wants youth, they could give Askaroth…

Laine just played in two of the smallest markets in the nhl and didn't like it there. I doubt playing on a market where there is less pressure is something important to him. If anything, he seems to me the kind of player that would thrive in a big market. He has that sort of swagger.

Reactions: Habs10Habs and JT3

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Because he’s stop putting up numbers and can be a huge offensive part of a team. I think you’re forgetting that part.
You can’t divorce the player from the contract and you’re trading back some salary as well from a young D which lowers Habs total cap, not that the Habs need it.
He's been a 65 point player with Columbus. My post mentioned how this is without Columbus taking on salary back or retaining which isn't going to happen.
The kid has some stuff going on..............but he is 26 yrs old, and is 6'5 and 210 lbs and can score 30 goals...............there are 32 GM's in the league and if a team has cap space to do it, most of those GM's just might go there........
2 years....that is key here.
A flawed player that has issues playing most of the season but scores 30 goals is worth 8.7x2? Doubt a GM would hand out that contract if he was a free agent, the extra year is a massive factor.
Corect, but it is still a matter of demand-offer. Just like MTL, there are few other teams which could be willing to take this risk for couple years, like Utah, Chicago, Anaheim.
If CBJ decide to retain 50% of his salary, this opens up bunch of other trade candidates and yu just need to beat them all.
Just because we could take the risk doesn't mean we should give up assets while taking on an 8.7 million cap hit for a non-star player.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Laine just played in two of the smallest markets in the nhl and didn't like it there. I doubt playing on a market where there is less pressure is something important to him. If anything, he seems to me the kind of player that would thrive in a big market. He has that sort of swagger.
It's one thing to leave a small market, it's another to go to Montreal... and again, we're not contenders. I don't know why he'd want to go to a rebuild.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Personally i don't think Nashville will be as good as people expect them to be. It's a very old team with lot of new faces. Will take time to gel and time is not something this team has. And yeah 11M in buyout is crazy.

That's why Columbus has indicated that they want prospects. They're rebuilding. For two years they could just eat his salary (or much of it.)

Edmonton for example are trying to win now. So maybe they give up picks/prospects. Trade back a bad contract and Columbus eats some of it. Laine has two years to try to win the cup.
Kane + prospects for Laine retained

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad