HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hutson will be in the lineup from day 1 unless something unexpected happens in the camp because:
A- watch the highlights video from his 2nd game. At 3:48 when he misses the shootout, look at Robidas and Letowski. They are happy like little boys who just found their first P0rn magazine because they see that elite skill.
B- Hutson is not an easy player to promote to NHL. He is weak and has significant defensive flaws therefore you need to protect him. We need to capitalize from presence of David Savard as much as possible. Hutson needs to play at least 50 games with Savard before we trade him at TDL. He just came out of university, this would be his 6 month internship.
Succesful rebuild means you promote your top prospects to NHL, but it requires time, patience and a lot of focus to be successful. This year, we promote Hutson, Roy and maybe Mailloux once Savard is traded. Next year you have Reinbacher, Demidov, Beck/Kapanen. Those are 6 key players who will require a lot of attention and if we want to be successful, I would assume at least 4 need to be executed well.

Giveaways/60 in those 2 games were not good at all. I'm 60% he makes the NHL this season but you are right with Savard. He's the only trusted guy we can place Hutson with.

Nobody thinks he's a perfect defensive player but he doesn't need to be a perfect defender to be a clearly better option than Harris or Struble. He's making the team out of camp.

Good managers don't manage by looking at offense only. One way to ruin or affect development is to promote the player faster than you should and then try to move then down after it. Very deflating. Look up Kotkaniemi. "Doesn't look out of place" type management.

Hutson has a shot but it's not high %. He's got lots to work on in the D zone against men who also skate much better than NCAA. 2 games is not enough bud.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Good managers don't manage by looking at offense only. One way to ruin or affect development is to promote the player faster than you should and then try to move then down after it.
Sure, but this is basically just a hockey truism and puts us back to square one because you think it's too soon to put him in the NHL and I don't.

In my view, the things Lane Hutson needs to learn about defending pros are not things he needs to learn in the AHL. He's not going to become 6'4 230 a year or two from now, he is always going to be small and he's going to have to learn to deal with that. I don't think 40 games in the AHL is going to make or break his development as a two way D.
Hutson has a shot but it's not high %. He's got lots to work on in the D zone against men who also skate much better than NCAA. 2 games is not enough bud.
Guhle will be on the right side so Hutson is competing with Xhekaj and Harris. I really struggle to envision that he won't be clearly better than at least one of those options in camp. Maybe he'll spend a few weeks in the AHL for waiver management if Barron/Harris are both still around, but I'd be very surprised if Hutson doesn't spend the majority of the year in the NHL.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Why not? Trade Anderson and picks for Laine with retention.

Laine can be easily the next Nichushkin for Habs (in sense that Nichushkin is now a huge piece for Colorado and they acquering him at age 26).

Just 2 years of his contract, I will try that 100%
I can’t see Anderson going back in a trade for Laine. Maybe in a separate deal but doubt CBJs want him and his cap.
Lol Jackets are dreaming if they think they can RECEIVE picks and assets for dumping 8.7 million without taking on any roster players.
They never said what prospects and picks they’re asking for. Doubt it’s a high package of quality. B prospects and 2nd 3rdish depending.

HuGo boss

Apr 7, 2022
I'm probably in the minority but I'd rather rein lane and mallioux play down in laval to start and call them up later in the year, logan and lane haven't played that many games over the last couple years and let David get comfortable in NA also see what you have with barron Harris struble and jackeye, let the kids marinate in laval no need to rush

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
The point is why mention his size as a plus if he doesn’t use it. He might as well be 5’7.

He also hasn’t hit the 30 goal mark since 2018-19.
I give up when a poster starts being deliberately obtuse.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
I'm probably in the minority but I'd rather rein lane and mallioux play down in laval to start and call them up later in the year, logan and lane haven't played that many games over the last couple years and let David get comfortable in NA also see what you have with barron Harris struble and jackeye, let the kids marinate in laval no need to rush

I don’t think you’re necessarily in the minority. I think a lot of people would send the kids down so we give Barron/Harris/Struble a chance to show what they are and what maybe let them raise their trade value.

Let Reinbacher bulk up and get used to NA ice.

Some franchises like Nashville/Winnipeg like to let their prospects marinate in the AHL and once they truly dominate down there then they get called up.

The problem with that is training camp.

What happens if in training camp Hutson/Mailloux/Reinbacher clearly outplay Barron/Harris/Struble? You go purely by merit or by seniority? And should we lose a young D to waivers? Is that good asset management?

It gets tricky quickly.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Lol Jackets are dreaming if they think they can RECEIVE picks and assets for dumping 8.7 million without taking on any roster players.
Yeah, they'd need to retain a bit or take a cap dump. Wouldn't blow me away to see a team offer a 2nd and ok prospect+ if the cap is made to work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad