HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
This is another guy we should stay away from. In player assistance, hasn’t ever lived up to his potential…

Why?

Guys, why do you think we need these kinds of players right now? We’re rebuilding and should be giving us to our young players who we’ve worked so hard to develop. Why not just give the ice to them and allow them to improve?

I get getting this kind of player if we’re in a cup run but why now?
The Habs need to add a top six forward to compete for the playoffs this year.

But it may be that a 4th consecutive lottery pick is for the best.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So was Stevie Y …until he wasn’t
Steve Yzerman was on horrible teams where he was the only guy they had. Totally different deal. It took ten years before they remotely became a contender.

And he didn’t sulk or deflect when he lost. He was accountable and a stand up player.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Problem with Leaf's making a big trade is that they have little chance of getting anything close to equal value back. Like should the leafs really trade Matthews and get today's equivalent of Wayne Primeau, Brad Stuart, and Marco Sturm?

How sweet would that be to watch the fan base implode after that lol

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The Habs need to add a top six forward to compete for the playoffs this year.
I don’t think it matters. The forwards are going to be good enough to get there as is.

Cc Suzuki Slaf
Newhook Dach Roy

That’s fine for a top six.

The D is why we’re not going to make the playoffs. We’re just way too green back there.
But it may be that a 4th consecutive lottery pick is for the best.
I’m of the mindset that we build organically. Give the ice you’d have given to Laine to Roy instead.

Reactions: jrom

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
This is another guy we should stay away from. In player assistance, hasn’t ever lived up to his potential…

5th in pts, 4th in goals (2nd g/gp) from his draft class

200 goals in under 500 games

1*40+ & 2*30+ goal seasons before he turned 21

Currently 26 years old.

"Hasn't ever lived up to his potential" seems quite exaggerated.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I don’t think it matters. The forwards are going to be good enough to get there as is.

Cc Suzuki Slaf
Newhook Dach Roy

That’s fine for a top six.

The D is why we’re not going to make the playoffs. We’re just way too green back there.

I’m of the mindset that we build organically. Give the ice you’d have given to Laine to Roy instead.
We have to stay healthy...........the top 6 then, just might score enough goals.
Our D and it's inexperience has gained a full year, and was the 4th best scoring group of all D in the league.
The reason we lose more often is because we can't score, and had a 3 goalie system that was so stupid to use from the get go.........but hey we got a 3rd round pick, so............

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
5th in pts, 4th in goals (2nd g/gp) from his draft class

200 goals in under 500 games

1*40+ & 2*30+ goal seasons before he turned 21

Currently 26 years old.

"Hasn't ever lived up to his potential" seems quite exaggerated.
It’s not.

He was projected as a perpetual Richard contender. Has hit forty goals once and that was when he was 19.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We have to stay healthy...........the top 6 then, just might score enough goals.
Our D and it's inexperience has gained a full year, and was the 4th best scoring group of all D in the league.
The reason we lose more often is because we can't score, and had a 3 goalie system that was so stupid to use from the get go.........but hey we got a 3rd round pick, so............
Health is (mostly) something you can’t predict. Though I admit I was way wrong to ignore CC’s surgery last year.

For the most part though, you can’t predict if a player will get hurt or not.

Yes, we have to stay healthy for sure. And a lot would have to go right to make the playoffs. Too much for me to think we’ll make it. But we’ll see.

I don’t think scoring will be an issue for us this year. We should have two good lines. Hutson will help the PP… should be okay. But that D is going to get even greener. Hutson, Mailloux and RB might all join at some point this year. It’s going to be a challenge keeping the puck out of the net.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Agree to disagree
The St Louis Blues won the Division with a sub .500 record in 87
The Wings were above .500 and at .500 when they won the Division in 88 and 89 with every other team below .500. And they did so with Yzerman putting up Gretzky-lite numbers.

What exactly do you disagree with here?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The St Louis Blues won the Division with a sub .500 record in 87
The Wings were above .500 and at .500 when they won the Division in 88 and 89 with every other team below .500. And they did so with Yzerman putting up Gretzky-lite numbers.

What exactly do you disagree with here?
Red Wings had more players with 70+ pts that year than Montreal.

Yes, the division was weaker, and yes, a division winner typically wins in large part thanks to their best player... Neither point supports the notion that Yzerman was a one man show.

To suggest that those were "horrible" rosters is an exaggeration that I disagree with.

Coles notes on the translation?
Thx
RHP hurt himself playing pick up with Rocket alumnus

Guy can't catch a break... Or, more to the point, catches all the wrong breaks

Coles notes on the translation?
Thx
RHP hurt himself playing pick up with Rocket alumnus

Guy can't catch a break... Or, more to the point, catches all the wrong breaks

Reactions: BLONG7

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Red Wings had more players with 70+ pts that year than Montreal.

Yes, the division was weaker, and yes, a division winner typically wins in large part thanks to their best player... Neither point supports the notion that Yzerman was a one man show.

To suggest that those were "horrible" rosters is an exaggeration that I disagree with.
They were brutal rosters. And in no way comparable with what Mitch Marner has to work with. Yzerman put up 155 points and they still only managed a .500 record. The only guy he really had was Adam Oates and he was just breaking into the league and didn't even play the full year.

The Montreal Canadiens were the best defensive team in the league. Why would you think they have anything in common with those Detroit clubs? They had a very deep roster with several HOFers on their roster including Chelios and Patrick Roy.

Horrible division. Weak clubs. Yzerman carried them. And there's absolutely zero in common with what Marner's had to work with. This is all pretty clear. Why are you even debating this?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
They were brutal rosters.
Exaggeration. While colourful, this kind of hyperbole weakens rather than strengthens your point.

And in no way comparable with what Mitch Marner has to work with.
Yes and?

Yzerman put up 155 points and they still only managed a .500 record. The only guy he really had was Adam Oates and he was just breaking into the league and didn't even play the full year.
Pts aren't as meaningful as you seem to think.

The Montreal Canadiens were the best defensive team in the league. Why would you think they have anything in common with those Detroit clubs? They had a very deep roster with several HOFers on their roster including Chelios and Patrick Roy.
Case in point. See above.

Horrible division. Weak clubs. Yzerman carried them. And there's absolutely zero in common with what Marner's had to work with. This is all pretty clear. Why are you even debating this?
Your debating yourself here.

I simply called to attention that Yzerman wasn't on a basement roster the whole time before the Bowman era in Detroit. You proceeded to double down with easily disproven exaggerations.

To address the Marner comparisons, I don't share your take there either. Marner is at a very similar career inflection point as Yzerman was in his late 20's. Big difference is that Marner has been on a better team & won a lot more games than Yzerman did early in his career (though Yzerman and his "brutal" Red Wings actually won more playoff rounds than Marner and his Laffs through 8 seasons).

But like Yzerman, if Marner wants to be a key player on a cup winning team, he'll have to evolve his game and put more attention to the non scoresheet aspects of driving impact. Yzerman himself, IIRC, acknowledged that the way he played early in his career wasn't conducive to winning. Points aren't everything, not all elite talents figure that out, and many fans simply can't see it.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Camp haven't even started yet.

At the same time, this would suggest RHP has bad physical preparation or he's made of glass.
What?

It could be just a bad luck because....:

He is a training freak and he never got injured before last season so...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad