HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Calling a 20 year old a d-bag is just a bit too much for my taste. I cannot stand the character assassination every time someone asserts their own influence over their development. McGroarty doesn’t deserve this treatment.

I still rate Mešar as a prospect but I have no hope for Barron (what a bum trade that turned out to be). If Hughes can recover some value and take a swing to add a new player for the top6 I’m here for it.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Here is a different perspective from a local Winnepeg writer. The article claims it is a disagreement over development paths, and Winnepeg’s recent mismanagement of young players’ development and promotion to the NHL:

If that article was true (it's basically Jets development at the NHL level sucks) then McGroarty would have asked for guaranteed top 6 TOI and PP1 time in the AHL, not the NHL and no yo-yo between the two leagues.

Reactions: ReHabs

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I think he will be better than that. A Holmstrom style net front guy which we could use.
Not at what they’re asking for. Looks like Cheveldayoff is getting greedy after he fleeced LA in a deal for another one of his problems. We should stay away from entitled player anyways.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
McGroarty is going to be a good complementary winger for a second line.

Good size, good shot, good IQ and a physical presence. Not the greatest skater though.

Reminds me a bit of a young Joe Pavelski. Something like that.

(I'M not saying he's going to have an impressive career like Joe had).

Last edited:

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Exactly…3 1st round assets is way too much for McGroarty…..

Barron OR Mesar plus another asset to me would be suffice enough to make it happen, that’s IF the Habs are interested.

I don’t believe they are nothing, they are just redundant and that we have the depth to trade them away without feeling any sort of pain.
Your first round assets doesnt value first round pick anymore.

Barron is yo-yo between NHL/AHL since 3 years, and he is going to be 23 years old
Mesar D+2 in the OHL is really not impressive
The only valuable piece is the first pick
Vs

Mcgroarty. Maybe the best prospect on Winnipeg Prospect pool

I wouldnt trade mailloux against a bunch of « maybe player »

Reactions: McGees

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
McGroarty is going to be a good complementary winger for a second line.

Good size, good shot, good IQ and a physical presence. Not the greatest skater though.

Reminds me a bit of a young Brayden Schenn. Something like that.

Good thing is he can improve his skating. And Habs have a development staff who can help him with that.

But McGroarty does other things that offset his skating issues. Similar to how Joshua Roy isn't the greatest skater, but his IQ makes up for his lack of foot speed/fluidity. And Roy has also improved his skating.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
Good thing is he can improve his skating. And Habs have a development staff who can help him with that.

But McGroarty does other things that offset his skating issues. Similar to how Joshua Roy isn't the greatest skater, but his IQ makes up for his lack of foot speed/fluidity. And Roy has also improved his skating.

Exactly.

Reminds me of Pavelski. Not the greatest skater but always finding a way to contribute.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Yes, value is important. Trading 3 1st round pick for 1 first round pick does seem bad at face value. But it,s all about emptying something we have enough for something we don't. And that deal would do the trick. First, the Barron deal wasn't Hughes. Then, for Mesar....well he might hide the fact that it was not the best of pick to say....to get some you need to give some.

I'm not a fan of both players so I'd have no problem doing that. And for Winnipeg...well....I could also see the other point of view....takes longer time to develop for a D. And frankly, while not a fan, Mesar isn't a bust. Yet. And then you add a pick.

value for value, it should do it. If not.....it says A LOT about what Mesar and Barron are seen throughout the league.

Reactions: Hannibal

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I'm not so sure he can.. he's not a bad skater because of a technical inefficiency, he's a bad skater because he has heavy feet. Some people just aren't fast and he's one of those guys who isn't fast.

He's really more of a 3rd liner on a PP2 for his one-timer.

Not worth anything that people are wanting to give up for him and he's certainly not good enough to be demanding top 6 ice time when it's a huge question mark whether in his prime he'd be a top 6 player.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Calling a 20 year old a d-bag is just a bit too much for my taste. I cannot stand the character assassination every time someone asserts their own influence over their development. McGroarty doesn’t deserve this treatment.

I still rate Mešar as a prospect but I have no hope for Barron (what a bum trade that turned out to be). If Hughes can recover some value and take a swing to add a new player for the top6 I’m here for it.

Crazy how we call a 20YO a d-bag but we never look into the organisation.

Were was Cheveldayoff working before the Jets and what has his former organisation did ?

How was the leadership in this team been with the likes of Wheeler, Scheifele, Byfuglien? How have they treated their young player and what happened with their former coach?

It has to be one of the most toxic organisation in the entire league.

McGroarty may have unreasonable expectation. But not wanting to burn a year of contract, or not wanting to play McGroarty when you have the likes of Toninato, Jonson Fallby claimed on waivers, Morgan Barron is indeed a slap in the f***ing face for a top prospect like McGroarty.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Well he ain’t Mckenzie, but he actually did get some things right. He ain’t complete BS ala Eklund.
Part of Eklund is that, at one point he did get things right, but when you just spew out a bunch of nonsense you're going to be right more than wrong.

I mean everyone on hf was talking about Domi for Anderson and it happened, so HF posters are somewhat legit and not just constantly posting terrible ideas ?

He sucks.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Part of Eklund is that, at one point he did get things right, but when you just spew out a bunch of nonsense you're going to be right more than wrong.

I mean everyone on hf was talking about Domi for Anderson and it happened, so HF posters are somewhat legit and not just constantly posting terrible ideas ?

He sucks.

Okay bud lol

Reactions: Heffyhoof and 417

Ad

Ad

Ad