GDT: Paris Olympics 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Leon gonna be mad at herself today. Missed a clear chance in regulation than a penalty on top of that.

Reactions: oilers'72

lopper

Oct 22, 2006
AB
Some terrible penalties by the Canadians and the roller coaster of news with this team is finally over. Hopefully they can clean up the staff/issues before the next World Cup

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Assuming he is healthy, Warner would likely have stayed in the decathlon if he could help LePage pace the 1500m. It was likely an easier decision with his fellow countryman not competing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Leon gonna be mad at herself today. Missed a clear chance in regulation than a penalty on top of that.
Sure, but she was also Canada's best player the moment she got on the pitch. Tireless running and attacking and just plowing through defenders. She played very well. Should've finished on breakaway but womens finish on the ball was lacking whole game. I thought Viens was most dangerous.

I don't really get the starting lineup. Canada was far better after the subs. Heitema has been such a big nothing. No replacement though, ever, for Sinclair.

I thought Gilles and Viens also saved some goals playing back making very needed touches on ball to prevent German goals.

Athlete of the year in Canada and it’s not even close.
I actually cried. She's simply spectacular. What a story. Summer McIntosh. What a perfect name too. You can't write a better script.

So much power at age 17. She just owned the last 50M. In the Pool there is Summer McIntosh, and then everybody else.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I don't mind them interrupting the game for the Summer McIntosh gold. Thats noteworthy. Why was I forced to be watching the womens 100M final while Canada germany were in extra time. That race had no Canadian in it and no interest. could be shown later. It services neither event showing small split screen. At least use whole screen if doing that. Not little boxes.

What a travesty too how the US media coverage is. Shacarri "Wins silver medal" lmao she was blown out and blown up by the winner, who hardly gets mention, Alfred beat her handily.

US were counting gold and didn't get it. Now they act like they won the event.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Haha Beckie saves the day, for now.
All 3 were similarly bad. Beckie just got lucky having some pace and spin on the ball. That ball was cheering for Canada. heh. The goalie got all of it, Should've kept it out.

In anycase Germany scored on every kick and also hit uprights. Probably deserved the win overall albeit Canada had taken the match over at times.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Sure, but she was also Canada's best player the moment she got on the pitch. Tireless running and attacking and just plowing through defenders. She played very well. Should've finished on breakaway but womens finish on the ball was lacking whole game. I thought Viens was most dangerous.

I don't really get the starting lineup. Canada was far better after the subs. Heitema has been such a big nothing. No replacement though, ever, for Sinclair.

I thought Gilles and Viens also saved some goals playing back making very needed touches on ball to prevent German goals.

I actually cried. She's simply spectacular. What a story. Summer McIntosh. What a perfect name too. You can't write a better script.

So much power at age 17. She just owned the last 50M. In the Pool there is Summer McIntosh, and then everybody else.
Good analysis. The one that’s sticks out to me was your thoughts on Heitema. Big nothing is right. She took up space this entire tournament. It’s hard to remember a single time she made a difference on any play. She hasn’t lived up to the hype she got when she first made the team.

Lots and lots of good performances from others though. This team shouldn’t have made it this far after the hole the coaching staff dug for them and yet they did and could have easily advanced to the semifinal today. That’s how I’m going to remember this group.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Leon was working well but the execution was off. Unfortunate.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Good analysis. The one that’s sticks out to me was your thoughts on Heitema. Big nothing is right. She took up space this entire tournament. It’s hard to remember a single time she made a difference on any play. She hasn’t lived up to the hype she got when she first made the team.

Lots and lots of good performances from others though. This team shouldn’t have made it this far after the hole the coaching staff dug for them and yet they did and could have easily advanced to the semifinal today. That’s how I’m going to remember this group.
Yeah. Heitema is nothing. Plays a timid bambi type game, rarely has the ball and just not noticeable at all. She's been so highly touted and I just don't see it. Leon is the quantum opposite. Will run the ball at opponents all day, hard to cover, and creates and makes chances. her finish lets her down but not her effort.

Viens was so smart out there as well in both boxes. Her and Gilles not only getting the goals for Canada but mopping up own backline as well. Between them I counted about 4 heroic needed touches on balls to prevent German opportunities.

Canada sure had the buy in from almost all of the players.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
the finishing ability of this Canada team during this game was pathetic.
Clearly you havent' watched a lot of Womens football. This problem being fairly endemic to the Womens game. We were spoiled with decades of Christine Sinclair. Few Womens players finish all that well. In 3/4 of the quarterfinals today nobody scored. Thats 6 teams that failed to score in regulation and 5 that failed to score even with 120mins of play.

In the other one it was a lot of goals only because Spain somehow conceded two early and had to get the goals back.

The German team was arguably worse finishing until penalty kicks. Although they did hit the upright in extra time.

Ashley Lawrence who unfortunately failed to score in kicks had Canada best shot on goal walking two Germans inside out before forcing a goalie to make a stop at the post. That was very nice.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

It’s a poor analysis. She was doing her job and was doing great at it. People shouldn’t talk about soccer if they can’t understand the team game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It’s a poor analysis. She was doing her job and was doing great at it. People shouldn’t talk about soccer if they can’t understand the team game.
Yeah thats the reason Canada was miles better the moment the subs came in and fairly ran the game against Germany. With Heitama on Canada got next to nothing.

Huitema has basically stopped scoring since 2022 rarely scoring for Canada now and had nothing in this whole tournament. She wasn't even noticeable. Not sure what it is but her performances for Canada since 2022 are decidedly lukewarm. Maybe she's much different in her pro games which I don't watch.

Indeed since 2020 Jordyn has only 8 goals for Canada across 60 matches.

Sinclair was noticeable every match she ever played. Huitema with all kinds of hype as the heir replacement is not even a factor in the games.

Even the telecast was saying that Huitema had nothing going and the subs were necessary, and huge improvement.

I think the money and fame has gone to Huitema's head. She had another disappointing tournament for Canada. She doesn't even look like a starter at this point.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Clearly you havent' watched a lot of Womens football. This problem being fairly endemic to the Womens game. We were spoiled with decades of Christine Sinclair. Few Womens players finish all that well. In 3/4 of the quarterfinals today nobody scored. Thats 6 teams that failed to score in regulation and 5 that failed to score even with 120mins of play.

In the other one it was a lot of goals only because Spain somehow conceded two early and had to get the goals back.

The German team was arguably worse finishing until penalty kicks. Although they did hit the upright in extra time.

Ashley Lawrence who unfortunately failed to score in kicks had Canada best shot on goal walking two Germans inside out before forcing a goalie to make a stop at the post. That was very nice.
You're right.

I only ever really watched Canada games and ive been spoiled with seeing Sinclair every time as shes been playing for the team since before I started watching.

I'm glad I spent the time to appreciate how good she was, nothing worse than watching a great and never realizing how good they are until they're gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium