HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He is not good. We shouldn’t waste a roster space on him. We have too many centres as is anyways.
Before last year he had a decent year, 35 points in 72 games. The leading scorer on the Preds that year had 59 points. I don't see the issue with too many centers, he can play wing and I'm sure there will be injuries.
I’m not sold - 25 and saw notable regression last year. Can’t stay healthy and can’t find a way to contribute consistently at either end. Might just be the end of the road for him as I think the odds of seeing a return on that 2.5mil contract are very very slim.

Unless it’s a clear upgrade, I’d rather give our own young guys a shot at prime minutes.
I should have been clearer, but I meant it as a cap dump for Glass, or they send us a pick. He's not worth 2.5 million for sure.

I envisioned him as a bottom 6 winger who would probably help out the 2nd PP unit more than Anderson/Gallagher/RHP/Armia while we get compensated for taking him on.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not even Kaprizov? He's by far their best player ever IMO. Gaborik was a franchise player for them, but I feel like Kaprizov is even better

I'm not that familiar with their current situation

I'd say with Kaprizov's contract coming expiring soon that he wouldn't be untouchable if there's signs he will want too much or want to test UFA. He's unlikely to move but it's more plausible than Boldy or Faber.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'd say with Kaprizov's contract coming expiring soon that he wouldn't be untouchable if there's signs he will want too much or want to test UFA. He's unlikely to move but it's more plausible than Boldy or Faber.
Kaprizov a UFA signs with Habs to play with Demidov. Mark my words

what are the chances of prying Matt Boldy he would be interesting target, Wild have a lot of younger talent up front and there defence seems under proportion to the salary cap, maybe we could help them transfer money to their defence with picks a NHL D and a younger player, they only have like 3 picks next year
Would you trade Guhle for Boldy?

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Before last year he had a decent year, 35 points in 72 games. The leading scorer on the Preds that year had 59 points. I don't see the issue with too many centers, he can play wing and I'm sure there will be injuries.

I should have been clearer, but I meant it as a cap dump for Glass, or they send us a pick. He's not worth 2.5 million for sure.

I envisioned him as a bottom 6 winger who would probably help out the 2nd PP unit more than Anderson/Gallagher/RHP/Armia while we get compensated for taking him on.
Good clarification, makes more sense. I think there’s logic in being paid to take him and using him in that role, but I think I’d still prefer giving those minutes to a guy currently in Laval. I’m more inclined to let Farrell, Heineman, Beck, or even Kapanen have their shot there than bury them behind Glass and take on two years of cap.

If we move out some depth in a trade for a top-6 forward, I’d probably revisit it though.

Reactions: The Great Weal

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
"If Montreal Canadiens GM Kent Hughes is determined to turn to the free agent market to find offensive reinforcements, he essentially has three candidates left.

Daniel Sprong. Tyler Johnson. Alex Nylander. That's it." - TVA Sports

I'm off to the cottage

1000005856.jpg

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
I would have no problem going after those guys for the right price:
Daniel Sprong (for a try in a top 6)

For bottom 6 usage:
Sammy Blais
Cal Clutterbuck
Matt Martin
I prefer grabbing a couple of waiver pickups that teams try to sneak through over those guys. Maybe one works out but his team has no room for him. Enough with the veterans looking for a retirement paycheck.

Reactions: Guillermo

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
Wild owner is a billionaire and it’s already been stated they plan to offer him the highest contract in nhl history! Wild aren’t trading kaprizov under any circumstances! Wild operate differently

lol dude wild have a top C in Russian Marat Knand have another Top C in Danila Yurov along with owner who will give him the highest contract in nhl history and willingly to sign all of kaprizov friends! It’s not happening!! They also just signed a Russian in free agency

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Wild owner is a billionaire and it’s already been stated they plan to offer him the highest contract in nhl history! Wild aren’t trading kaprizov under any circumstances! Wild operate differently

lol dude wild have a top C in Russian Marat Knand have another Top C in Danila Yurov along with owner who will give him the highest contract in nhl history and willingly to sign all of kaprizov friends! It’s not happening!! They also just signed a Russian in free agency

Ok

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

Craig Leopold trying to get himself sanctioned or something?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

That's a losing organization though. Imagine he would want to play for a cup

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Took a quick peek at the Jets and Hurricanes boards to see what’s the latest news on McGroarty/Necas and boy it’s looking juicy!!!

Went to the Jets board and went to the last page of the Rutger McGroarty thread to see what’s up.

Holy moly. Apparently he got real close to getting traded this past weekend but whatever team was on the verge of acquiring him pulled out because of his attitude/demands. Yikessss

Carolina board are currently talking about how the Hurricanes had a trade in place for Necas with Columbus but trade was only happening if Necas agreed to an extension before hand. He apparently refused to guarantee an extension, thus the trade falling apart.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deus ex machina

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022

Yes. Minnesota would never do it though 1 for 1

Good clarification, makes more sense. I think there’s logic in being paid to take him and using him in that role, but I think I’d still prefer giving those minutes to a guy currently in Laval. I’m more inclined to let Farrell, Heineman, Beck, or even Kapanen have their shot there than bury them behind Glass and take on two years of cap.

If we move out some depth in a trade for a top-6 forward, I’d probably revisit it though.
There’s no depth up front though. The team doesn’t have a 4th line or penalty killers other than Suzuki and Armia when he’s on

Reactions: Sterling Archer

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
"If Montreal Canadiens GM Kent Hughes is determined to turn to the free agent market to find offensive reinforcements, he essentially has three candidates left.

Daniel Sprong. Tyler Johnson. Alex Nylander. That's it." - TVA Sports
Pacioretty on a 1 year deal to play with Dach! - and be dealt at the deadline for a 2nd or a 1st.

I like what Hughes has been doing with the extra 1sts and 2nds: Hage, Newhook, Hutson, Mesar.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Took a quick peek at the Jets and Hurricanes boards to see what’s the latest news on McGroarty/Necas and boy it’s looking juicy!!!

Went to the Jets board and went to the last page of the Rutger McGroarty thread to see what’s up.

Holy moly. Apparently he got real close to getting traded this past weekend but whatever team was on the verge of acquiring him pulled out because of his attitude/demands. Yikessss

Carolina board are currently talking about how the Hurricanes had a trade in place for Necas with Columbus but trade was only happening if Necas agreed to an extension before hand. He apparently refused to guarantee an extension, thus the trade falling apart.
With Nečas it is kind of acceptable because he has 5 NHL seasons under his belt, but with RMcG it looks like a red flag. At least, he has some terrible advisors around him.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

I'm not sure what kind of demands you can do when you sign your first ELC contract. Big red flag if that is the case.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
If this McGoar really is looking for a top 6 guarantee then I am at a loss why we would look at trading for him, even as fans.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Probably don't want McGroarty then. If he has attitude. Wonder if that team was us?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Pacioretty on a 1 year deal to play with Dach! - and be dealt at the deadline for a 2nd or a 1st.

I like what Hughes has been doing with the extra 1sts and 2nds: Hage, Newhook, Hutson, Mesar.

Max is pretty much finished. We need to avoid players being injured. And Max is susceptible to get hurt again unfortunately.

The UFA's I'm mostly interested in is Daniel Sprong, Blake Wheeler, and JvR.

Sprong is 6' and 190 lbs so he's not small. He's 27 so not too old. And his last two seasons, he was a 40+ point player (and in 2022-23, he was on pace for 57 pts).

Now, JvR and Wheeler are older. Both over 35 years old. So they would be a vet presence. I'd rather Wheeler before JvR because Wheeler has produced more in recent seasons:

2021-22: 60 pts in 65 GP (on pace for 76 pts).
2022-23: 55 pts in 72 GP (on pace for 63 pts).

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Pacioretty literally can't skate anymore, he was legit slower than Ovechkin in the playoffs. His legs are completely gone at this point. There's just no use for him outside the powerplay at this point in his career.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Max is pretty much finished. We need to avoid players being injured. And Max is susceptible to get hurt again unfortunately.

The UFA's I'm mostly interested in is Daniel Sprong, Blake Wheeler, and JvR.

Sprong is 6' and 190 lbs so he's not small. He's 27 so not too old. And his last two seasons, he was a 40+ point player (and in 2022-23, he was on pace for 57 pts).

Now, JvR and Wheeler are older. Both over 35 years old. So they would be a vet presence. I'd rather Wheeler before JvR because Wheeler has produced more in recent seasons:

2021-22: 60 pts in 65 GP (on pace for 76 pts).
2022-23: 55 pts in 72 GP (on pace for 63 pts).
Sprong is the only player I'd target on a 1 year deal, he can produce and was good the past 2 seasons, especially in Seattle 2 seasons ago. I wouldn't mind giving him a shot and moving him at the deadline along with Dvorak and Armia. MSL can hopefully teach him to be responsible over 200 feet. Could be a really nice reclamation project !!

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad