HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Right now Hughes looks like a genius for staying out of the UFA contract madness and simply biding his time. Eventually a team that’s over the cap - or very close to it - that has visions of competing is going to come calling and Hughes will extract his pound of flesh for taking on a cap dump.

I enjoy the way that this man operates. He makes bold but logical moves, with the eye for helping the team in both the short and the long term.

As I’ve said for awhile, this is the big year for Hughes to really make some waves. David Savard should return a late first at the deadline. Armia and Dvorak will be moved as well. They won’t garner large returns but clearing another 11 million in change off the books is addition by subtraction.

By the end of the season, the Habs should have grown organically, made some improvements in all areas, but will likely ultimately fall short of making the playoffs. Habs will likely have 3 first round picks for 2025 (assuming they get one for Savard), a ton of cap space, and a young core about to be infused with some major talent up front and on the back end.

This is the biggest year for the Habs in a long time (in my opinion), and the year the franchise finally is able to firmly say the rebuild is finished, and the rise of the Habs like the mythical Phoenix from the ashes, begins again.

Indeed.

I think if healthy, Habs will be in the WC hunt heading into the deadline and that might mitigate KH "selling" a vet like Savard... But we might still move some vets if the internal development forces the issue (Heineman, Beck, Farrell, Strubble, Mailloux, RB etc).

Either way, this time next year I suspect it will be firmly a playoff expectation for '25-26, with the summer roster additions to support it.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
am I the only one that thinks Necas wouldn't excel here and would be a cap killer? 53 pts on a loaded Canes team, what the hell is he going to do here? I think the hype is unfounded, worries me a lot about giving up a ton for him.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock into his point totals last year. The Canes were stacked on the wing, but aside from Aho their centres sucked ass.

Necas spent all last year with the following centres:
- Jack Drury who had 10 career points prior to last year before his career high of 27.
- Coked out Kuznetsov
- Bambi Kotkaniemi

Prior to last year, he led the Canes in scoring with more points than guys like Aho and Svechnikov.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He might be the most promising 4th line piece there and even then, nowhere near a sure thing. That line has 9 NHL goals in 2023-24. RHP is gonna need a big camp to show he's anything more than pressbox filler. Vanilla gives jake Evans heart burn.
They're fourth liners. Man's wants Gretzkys on the fourth line. Poulin brings the jam and helps X.

RHP is either a place holder for X² or he develops into something good.

Evans is a typical high value non-event 4th liner that excels on the PK.

it's a good value fourth line honestly.
am I the only one that thinks Necas wouldn't excel here and would be a cap killer? 53 pts on a loaded Canes team, what the hell is he going to do here? I think the hype is unfounded, worries me a lot about giving up a ton for him.
No. Me too. He's not what the Habs need at all, unless it's to replace Caufield, then sure sign me up.
Looks intriguing not gonna lie
I've been high on him.since his D-1. He's a perfect buy very low candidate. If Mccarron carved out a decent career, Poulin can too.

That's if he's healthy though, but he's worth a shot IMO

Ieatsht4brkfst

Mar 22, 2024
what are the chances of prying Matt Boldy he would be interesting target, Wild have a lot of younger talent up front and there defence seems under proportion to the salary cap, maybe we could help them transfer money to their defence with picks a NHL D and a younger player, they only have like 3 picks next year

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
what are the chances of prying Matt Boldy he would be interesting target, Wild have a lot of younger talent up front and there defence seems under proportion to the salary cap, maybe we could help them transfer money to their defence with picks a NHL D and a younger player
As soon as you stopping typing the chance to get Boldy stopped there, too

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
Still hoping for some help at forward to be brought in. UFA market is pretty much bone dry at this point though. I'm not sure I have a good feeling about going into next season without adding a piece up front, but we probably don't need to take any unnecessary risks at this point either.

I think if we struggle to score early in year, while still healthy, there will probably be some pressure to make a move, and we won't be dealing from a position of strength.

I liked how our team competed last year, but there might be some limit on losing where a "losing culture" starts to permeate a bit.

Reactions: BLONG7

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
what are the chances of prying Matt Boldy he would be interesting target, Wild have a lot of younger talent up front and there defence seems under proportion to the salary cap, maybe we could help them transfer money to their defence with picks a NHL D and a younger player, they only have like 3 picks next year
Right up there with getting a call from:

IMG_2890.jpeg

expressing her longing …

Last edited:

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I don't think he'd be a cap killer because the number would be in the mid 7s and that's not too bad with the cap increases from the US TV deal already locked in, but I don't exactly love the fit with him. He's a good player but it all depends on price. If we can get him for that Calgary pick and some other stuff that would make sense but similar to Zegras I don't really want Necas if it's going to cost "this is our big move" level assets.

The thing with the NHL trade market is you can seemingly get basically every player that ever goes on the block for a 1st, a prospect, and a roster player of varying quality. Given prospect attrition rates, something like Mailloux + Calgary 1st + 2nd is probably "fair" for a prime aged Necas in terms of asset value. However, if that's the price I'd rather just hold off because you could probably get the next true star that goes on the block for not too much more in value. NHL trades at the higher end just seem like such an inefficient market when Eichel is only marginally more expensive than 29 year old Pacioretty was.
what are the chances of prying Matt Boldy he would be interesting target, Wild have a lot of younger talent up front and there defence seems under proportion to the salary cap, maybe we could help them transfer money to their defence with picks a NHL D and a younger player
Unfortunately probably close to zero. Minnesota has Spurgeon, Brodin, and Middleton around as vets and they just drafted Buium to pair with Faber over the long term. Defence isn't really a big need for them and they'd probably only ever do it for Slafkovsky.

They do have cap issues this year but they have the ~14M buyouts for Suter and Parise finally dropping off next year so they just kinda need to suffer through this season and they'll have plenty of money to spend to try and build around Kaprizov and Boldy.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
who is that?
Charlize Theron......

Still hoping for some help at forward to be brought in. UFA market is pretty much bone dry at this point though. I'm not sure I have a good feeling about going into next season without adding a piece up front, but we probably don't need to take any unnecessary risks at this point either.

I think if we struggle to score early in year, while still healthy, there will probably be some pressure to make a move, and we won't be dealing from a position of strength.

I liked how our team competed last year, but there might be some limit on losing where a "losing culture" starts to permeate a bit.
I still think there is a trade out there................we have too many D even after Kovacevic being dealt.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

0% - him and Faber are probably the only two untouchables on that current roster.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I would have no problem going after those guys for the right price:
Daniel Sprong (for a try in a top 6)

For bottom 6 usage:
Sammy Blais
Cal Clutterbuck
Matt Martin

Reactions: Garry Valk

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Cody Glass seems like a HuGo pickup. Preds are over the cap and he probably won't crack the lineup anyways.
I’m not sold - 25 and saw notable regression last year. Can’t stay healthy and can’t find a way to contribute consistently at either end. Might just be the end of the road for him as I think the odds of seeing a return on that 2.5mil contract are very very slim.

Unless it’s a clear upgrade, I’d rather give our own young guys a shot at prime minutes.

Reactions: BigM2 and HabbyGuy

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
"If Montreal Canadiens GM Kent Hughes is determined to turn to the free agent market to find offensive reinforcements, he essentially has three candidates left.

Daniel Sprong. Tyler Johnson. Alex Nylander. That's it." - TVA Sports
There are other options, the great Mike Offman is still out there.

Kubalik could be interesting if cheap.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
0% - him and Faber are probably the only two untouchables on that current roster.

Not even Kaprizov? He's by far their best player ever IMO. Gaborik was a franchise player for them, but I feel like Kaprizov is even better

I'm not that familiar with their current situation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad