HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If Askarov is so good why is Nashville always rumoured to want to trade him?
Friedman talked about this very topic on 32-Thoughts a few weeks back & again after Saros’ extension.

Scouts apparently question Askarov’s ability to maintain consistency, he apparently gets down on himself very easily after a goal which effects his game for long stretches thereafter till he can regain his composure & focus

Marek stated management & scouts he’s spoken with find Askarov’s “too noisy in nets” lacks positional soundness relying too much on athletic ability

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Nope - but I’d do McGroarty for Mailloux
McGoarty scouting reviews mentioned he had weak skating. What is his skating like today?

But I wouldn't trade one of our 4 darts ( we need 2 to be a no.1 and no.3 D )for a D man who can produce some offense for a winger.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Friedman talked about this very topic on 32-Thoughts a few weeks back & again after Saros’ extension.

Scouts apparently question Askarov’s ability to maintain consistency, he apparently gets down on himself very easily after a goal which effects his game for long stretches thereafter till he can regain his composure & focus

Marek stated management & scouts he’s spoken with find Askarov’s “too noisy in nets” lacks positional soundness relying too much on athletic ability
That first one is a serious problem. One of the reasons Price was so good was that he would shake off goals in a millisecond.

Would have thought by now a goalie coach would have helped him with that stuff.

If these concerns are true I can see why teams haven't paid the asking price.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

He's definitely the MAF type. He moves around a lot and he doesn't always have perfect rebound control, so he ends up having to make more acrobatic saves than most. He loves to play the puck too, and he can be a bit over aggressive at it. I happen to think he's making his style work for him, but I can see how he could give his goalie coaches a few headaches.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Can he though ?
Yes. Keep in mind he missed almost two full seasons in key development years and was an AHL All Star as a true AHL rookie and his defensive play kept improving. Also he looked like a 10-year veteran in his one NHL game. He has the tools and size to be an impact NHL dman when he hits his prime. Players like that are very difficult to acquire.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

IMG_2884.jpeg

IMG_2885.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Skip Bayless

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
McGoarty scouting reviews mentioned he had weak skating. What is his skating like today?

But I wouldn't trade one of our 4 darts ( we need 2 to be a no.1 and no.3 D )for a D man who can produce some offense for a winger.
If McGroarty is such a top end talent I wonder why no GM has traded for him yet? If you have ample assets you can even overpay for a young player like this. I don't see the hype.

Reactions: mdk

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
If McGroarty is such a top end talent I wonder why no GM has traded for him yet? If you have ample assets you can even overpay for a young player like this. I don't see the hype.
True isn't it ? Usually means the owning team is overvalueing the player by a lot. And again, if this guys skating isn't there at this point then it could be a real problem.

Reactions: Tyson

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Chevy is a notoriously patient GM and needs to extract as much value as possible due to the market he’s in and not being able to get quality players to come or stay. He usually wins his trades and gets every bit he can from it. You’re not going to get a “deal” on any trade with him. So it usually takes longer while he waits it out and gets other GMs to bite first.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Chevy is a notoriously patient GM and needs to extract as much value as possible due to the market he’s in and not being able to get quality players to come or stay. He usually wins his trades and gets every bit he can from it. You’re not going to get a “deal” on any trade with him. So it usually takes longer while he waits it out and gets other GMs to bite first.
... and in this case he has time to be patient. The Jets have McGroarty's rights for two more years.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
... and in this case he has time to be patient. The Jets have McGroarty's rights for two more years.
and the clock is ticking which wasn’t the case w PLD - as NCAA UFA deadline approaches all leverage exponentially drops to nil.

Chevy’s essentially got till end of this upcoming season to get some value otherwise, he’s going to get Pennie’s on the $

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
True isn't it ? Usually means the owning team is overvalueing the player by a lot. And again, if this guys skating isn't there at this point then it could be a real problem.
He strikes me as a top 6 or bust type player. Using the current roster he appears to slot in, but as early as next year, I fail to see him slotting in, especially if he is not a great skater. Players like Roy, Kapanen, Beck, Newhouse will all be better suited for a fast 3rd line that can contribute offensively as well. With Demidov added to the top 6 that leaves one top 9 spot available and I don't think he would be the ideal candidate given the cost to acquire him.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Remember when everyone said ‘PLD CAN JUST WAIT A YEAR FOR UFA AND WALK TO UFA’
Jets will trade McGruber before that happens but take their sweet ass time and annoy the crap out of everyone until they do.

Last edited:

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
His value isn’t the question. It’s Chevy’s leverage that is on a time clock.
The worst case is that McGroarty doesn't sign, and in two years the Jets get a mid second round draft pick as compensation. Chevy's not going to trade him now for Barron or Harris, who probably have 2nd round values. He's been patient in the past, so there is no reason to expect Chevy to behave any differently in this case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad