Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
True. Jake forced his hand. And even with Jake forcing his hand like that you just know that the Pens would have hung onto Jake if they were closer to a playoff spot at the deadline. And that would have been disastrous asset management.

Hell forget that. How many teams have even tried to do what the Pens are doing now? Maybe Detroit with Zetterberg/Datsyuk? I'm not even sure that counts as a precedent because Detroit never missed the playoffs with Datsyuk there and they only missed two years with Zetterberg before he decided to retire.

Even looking at the Sharks they never missed the playoffs two times in a row with Joe Thornton there and then decided to rebuild while holding onto him.

The Caps have only missed the playoffs one time with Ovechkin as well, and despite a brief period of trying to retool they went aggressive again this off season in trying to get back into it.

I'm not seeing a lot of precedent for what the Pens have tried to do.

I can't even think of a team that did try to rebuild in the manner we're going about it.

That’s because we don’t have a plan and are just making ass backwards decisions and will continue to do so until Sid makes a decision.

Reactions: Pancakes

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I can't even think of a team that did try to rebuild in the manner we're going about it.

A good point.

Fills me to the brim with confidence. Doesn't at all seem like they are literally just winging it.

A combined like 15M dollar braintrust assembled for tossin' wet spaghetti at a wall. Glorious.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
That’s because we don’t have a plan and are just making ass backwards decisions and will continue to do so until Sid makes a decision.
I couldn't agree more and that right there is why I'm not destroying Dubas as of now! Sid needs to let the organization know his decision, to be honest I'm already disappointed that his extension hasn't been signed yet.... unless he really wants to sign on 8/7...

All of this to keep the core together, heck maybe they should have listened to GMJR!!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
A good point.

Fills me to the brim with confidence. Doesn't at all seem like they are literally just winging it.

A combined like 15M dollar braintrust assembled for tossin' wet spaghetti at a wall. Glorious.

Yeah, but Dubas the 50 million dollar man will starve with Spezza whose made millions and some other guy whose dad probably bought him a Benz for his 16th birthday.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I couldn't agree more and that right there is why I'm not destroying Dubas as of now! Sid needs to let the organization know his decision, to be honest I'm already disappointed that his extension hasn't been signed yet.... unless he really wants to sign on 8/7...

All of this to keep the core together, heck maybe they should have listened to GMJR!!

Why would we blame Sid at all for taking a long think over his decision?

Right now he's lined up to start the year at 38 years old with DOC and Rust as his linemates on a team that seems to be actively renting itself out to the rest of the league as a garbage bin. Anyone with an ounce of sense would look at this team's situation and weigh their options carefully. Especially if that someone is a hockey legend that still has some game left in the tank and might want to actually do something with the time he has left in this league.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I don't think it was Dubas' idea to move Jake tbh. That dude made it abundantly clear he wasn't gonna sign an extension with anyone last summer and all throughout the year. Practically speaking Dubas had no real option--he couldn't just let him walk for nothing. :laugh:

Yeah, it's gonna suck when Petts gets re-signed. Just move the guy now before his play regresses or he gets hurt or some shit.
It shouldn't even be discussed internally for f***s sakes!! Look at the returns some d's got at the deadline in the past 2-3 years.. It's a no brainer, he better not get extended!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

Right now he's lined up to start the year at 38 years old with DOC and Rust as his linemates on a team that seems to be actively renting itself out to the rest of the league as a garbage bin. Anyone with an ounce of sense would look at this team's situation and weigh their options carefully. Especially if that someone is a hockey legend that still has some game left in the tank and might want to actually do something with the time he has left in this league.

Yeah, if anything Kyle Dubas’ moves have been systematically made so that Sid doesn’t re-sign here.

Reactions: Nfumass

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
We don’t even know that he hasn’t made a decision. Ovechkin didn’t even re-sign until a couple days he was scheduled to be a free agent, and as far as I know there were zero rumours he was actually wanting to leave.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, if anything Kyle Dubas’ moves have been systematically made so that Sid doesn’t re-sign here.

I still think that ultimately... this close to the finish line... he'll stick around.

But I mean... any sane person would really agonize over that choice with what has been done here the last couple of years, especially.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

Sorry it might have come out wrong, I'm not blaming Sid at all... I just hope we find out soon and a decision can be made for the best of the franchise whether it's with or without Sid.

Yea my thoughts as well. Negotiate a 2nd add on.

Can potentially trade him at deadline or he plays as a penguin for the rest of the year.

3 2nds bam.
Hawks have 2 2nd rounders, I'm sure we can squeeze 1 out of them. And then possibly getting another one flipping Hall at the TDL assuming he is healthy and having a decent season..

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Dubas is subject to FSG and what they want as well. No question the brass wants Sid here. But it may not be up to ownership alone. If Sids want certain assurances form FSG ala Dubas, they have to simply OK that. I like the team better than the last 2 years but the moves still looks like marginal adds with a pick from St Louis and picks from the Rangers that Sid gives one sh** about. But Sid has to believe that Graves, Jarry, Rakell, Geno and Letang are healthy and play up to said ability.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Did he? Seemed like management at the time wanted him to try to win while also rebuilding.

Dubas has pretty clearly given up on the "winning" part of that which means FSG has given him the green light to rebuild in all but name.

He totally had the ability to agree to take on bad contracts in exchange for picks.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

San Jose absolutely went about the rebuild the same way the Penguins have so far.

San Jose's first selling moves were when they sold at the 2019 deadline with sending out Marleau. They didn't trade Karlsson until 2023.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
San Jose absolutely went about the rebuild the same way the Penguins have so far.

San Jose's first selling moves were when they sold at the 2019 deadline with sending out Marleau. They didn't trade Karlsson until 2023.
Hopefully we can get multiple 1st round picks like them and be lucky enough to win a lottery as well in the next few years, maybe 2026!!:naughty:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
We’ll be around the same in the standings, either just in or just out of the playoffs. So from a business perspective that’s reasonable.

The rebuild has just begun & our prospect pool is a lot better right now plus we got some more draft picks. As well as hired more staff for development/drafting.

So all in all we are going ok.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
It’ll be burnt to the ground when Sid is done anyway. No point in stressing over every minuscule thing that’s done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad