Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Wow Ryan Suter is pulling three nhl salaries at once
I just thought of a way to circumvent the cap. You get a team as a broker - one with a lot of cap space. You let them sign your prized player and give them assets. Then they buy out that player, and you sign them in FA for cheap. Player gets paid, you get low cap hit.

I should apply for the GM job in Vegas :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I just thought of a way to circumvent the cap. You get a team as a broker - one with a lot of cap space. You let them sign your prized player and give them assets. Then they buy out that player, and you sign them in FA for cheap. Player gets paid, you get low cap hit.

I should apply for the GM job in Vegas :laugh:

Could do the same thing with retention. Then you don't need to worry about the player signing somewhere else as a FA.

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Could do the same thing with retention. Then you don't need to worry about the player signing somewhere else as a FA.
But isn't there a limit to retention? Like 50% or something?

Technically someone could sign a player at league max, you trade them and give prospects and then when they are bought out you sign them for league minimum.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
But isn't there a limit to retention? Like 50% or something?

Technically someone could sign a player at league max, you trade them and give prospects and then when they are bought out you sign them for league minimum.

Yes there is a limit of 50% on retention. But when they are bought out, they can sign with anyone. If the player is worth what you and the other team are spending, teams are going to be outbidding you. Never mind at league minimum, they will bid full market value for a player of that level.

But take a player who should be worth, say 6 mil. You get the other team to sign him for 8. They retain 50% and trade him to you. You get him for 4 mil instead of 6, plus the assets traded to the team that signed him. That retention will be for the life of the contract so the other team may want pretty hefty compensation if the term is very long.

I think you would want the player to be in on it or you might have a very pissed off player on your roster. :laugh:

Might be the way for Jets to finally land a 2C and/or a 1RD.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I am interpreting this as troughs are coming back to Winnipeg.

What happens in the troughs STAYS in the troughs!

97441341_1110379905989230_2078302913251246080_n.jpg

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I am sure missing CF already.
I've tried Puckpedia but I haven't been able to figure out their navigation yet.

The league should have stepped in and bought CF out from under Washington.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I am sure missing CF already.
I've tried Puckpedia but I haven't been able to figure out their navigation yet.

The league should have stepped in and bought CF out from under Washington.

They wouldn't leave it public facing. The NHL hates the public having data. It's just insane that most of the teams don't have their own internal resources to track this shit, nor does the NHL supply it from the central registry.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They wouldn't leave it public facing. The NHL hates the public having data. It's just insane that most of the teams don't have their own internal resources to track this shit, nor does the NHL supply it from the central registry.

Well they should leave it public. It helps sell the game.

Who is going to buy Puckpedia now?

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I've met several Michigan natives who want to never set foot again anywhere near Detroit.
I was in Detroit only once in 2006 for the Super Bowl ... wow seriously I never seen anything like it, it was like a third world country in some areas and then you drive 20 minutes its like you are in a completely different country everything is normal and looks nice. I know every city has bad areas but this looked like a war zone a dead zone you see in the movies.

I'm so happy for the Rangers they can have the fun now dealing with Trouba .... always remember what goes around comes around.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Boy did we ever come out looking good. Got Trouba’s best years at an affordable price and then traded him for assets.

Yeah, Pionk was much better in his first year, then Trouba started playing better, but wow for all we talk about Pionk falling off a cliff Trouba did as well and his ass is making 8 million for. . 2 more years?

Now we just need Heinola to earn another starting roster spot to make it look even better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad