Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
"There really aren't a lot of free agents out there. If (teams) have the (salary) cap (space) today, they'll probably still have it tomorrow. I know there are teams that are still interested. Teams keep checking in to see if there's anything new. I tell them, 'You guys have to be comfortable with (Laine), and I can't help you.' I don't know the player personally. I'm not one to try and trick people either, so (we) made him available to chat (when he's cleared)."

- Don Waddell

Laine is eligible to be traded while in the program, but Columbus Blue Jackets president and general Don Waddell told The Athletic that interested parties want to speak with the player before making a move to acquire him. No team, including the Blue Jackets, is allowed to contact Laine while he remains in the program.
Any idea how the program works with regards to his contract and/or cap hit? I'm assuming he gets paid, but does he count against CBJ's cap?

Coming off LTIR (for example - and in a legit case, not a Mark Stone one) is a little different because there can be objective imaging and functional testing that can show a player is nearing being ready to return... but in this case is it mostly juat up to Patty? I'm assuming that there are some health professionals involved who give input as well

Anyway, good luck to the guy

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Do you actaully like the Jets and want them to win???????? ffs move on
Actually I see Laine as a potential low cost high reward acquisition. If you could get him at a low acquisition cost, with retained salary he might turn out to be one hell of a deal. Assuming he in a good place mentally and is motivated to do what it takes to be the best version of the player he can be. I'd prefer if his army of player-centric followers didn't come along with him though.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
After in the manner which laine was treated by the media, why would he come back!?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Already seen the Laine movie, it started out well enough, middle was tedious and the ending sucked, no need to see a sequel.
As I've argued I a few times, I see the potential of Laine being a low cost acquisition with a lot of potential upside. He could also add a dimension to our PP that we have been lacking. A pure shooter from the left side. It would allow us to set up from the right.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
As I've argued I a few times, I see the potential of Laine being a low cost acquisition with a lot of potential upside. He could also add a dimension to our PP that we have been lacking. A pure shooter from the left side. It would allow us to set up from the right.
For me it depends on the cost or acquisition and retention

From there, how does the PP look? Schief to the right half wall, JoMo as a lefty up top (not the right handedness), Laine on the left half wall... need another right in thr bumper (vilardi?) and Connor down low? Seems like a bit of a waste of Connor

Unless you put Laine on PP2 and have Cole feeding him passes... I could get behind that

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
For me it depends on the cost or acquisition and retention

From there, how does the PP look? Schief to the right half wall, JoMo as a lefty up top (not the right handedness), Laine on the left half wall... need another right in thr bumper (vilardi?) and Connor down low? Seems like a bit of a waste of Connor

Unless you put Laine on PP2 and have Cole feeding him passes... I could get behind that
Actually I think the best future version of the PP if we acquired Laine, would be Laine as the triggerman from the left side, Perfetti on the right wall and Scheifele in the bumper, JoMo up top and Connor down low.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Actually I think the best future version of the PP if we acquired Laine, would be Laine as the triggerman from the left side, Perfetti on the right wall and Scheifele in the bumper, JoMo up top and Connor down low.
The only issue is that JoMo doesn't have a one timer on a feed from Perfetti there. That's why Buff worked so well up top... he had the big bomb but could also freeze defenders and dish to Laine as a righty

Reactions: hockeyarena

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The only issue is that JoMo doesn't have a one timer on a feed from Perfetti there. That's why Buff worked so well up top... he had the big bomb but could also freeze defenders and dish to Laine as a righty
Agreed, the set up isn't perfect, just trying to brainstorm options.

Reactions: Buffdog

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Laine on the blue line and JMo on PP2.

Laine KC Volare Scheif Ehlers on PP1.

JMo Perfetti Nino Lambert Names on PP2.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The biggest threat our pp has had recently is Vilardi at the side of the net. Not sure why he's not on pp1 and Perfetti is.

I'm still hoping we see 2 pp units that are balanced and running different schemes based on that units strengths.

I wish we had a strong shooter at the point, so many pps today are using that shot to open things up and score on high tips.

You need a guy with a bomb but someone who can get it through and understands that you don't always need to hanger it. Sometimes sifting it through is the best option.

Morrissey is currently the best at this but other than that we don't seem to have it.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I'll just wildly suggest we should re-invent our PP so that it has some actual movement to it. The relatively static half-wall led approach seems to be rather easy to defend unless you have the necessary critical pieces (Buff one timer; young Laine).
I agree - we spend too much time holding the puck waiting for something to happen - 55 is famous for this and needs to understand that if he wants to QB the PP, he needs to make decisions faster - shoot, take it to the net, or move it - fast.

KC and JoMo like to open up opportunities with their skating and find ways to get the puck to the net - Vilardi is great around the net via a bumper or picking up rebounds. Scheif is the last pce that doesn't fit IMO - unless he starts shooting or making plays a lot faster than he is now.

As mentioned, a hard point shot would help but I see JoMo making space and getting pucks on net as a greater strength than a hard shot (and a lot of the best PP's are using that option).

I think we have the pcs for a great PP - but as unpopular as this might be, I see 55 as the pce that will need to make major adjustments in order to get things moving.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Scheif should be in front of the net and Volare the side of the net a la last season.
Put Lambert in Scheif's spot.
Lambert Volare Scheif JMo KC

Reactions: Jet

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'll just wildly suggest we should re-invent our PP so that it has some actual movement to it. The relatively static half-wall led approach seems to be rather easy to defend unless you have the necessary critical pieces (Buff one timer; young Laine).
yup that was the biggest issue for most of the first half the year and then i felt like they made a bit more of a concerted effort with quicker movement in the 2nd half. the threat of a shot w/ laine used to open things up for scheifele back in the day, but that doesn't exist any more. like you alluded to, w/o those pieces it doesn't work as strongly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium