Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Did you want to share the articles? I remember the media being very fair with Laine.
The Winnipeg Media thing is weird... I don't recall them ever being 'hard' on any players - the closest was Lawless' country club article - which was all true

All those years of the Kane gong show and Wheeler's open hostility and the media still treated them with kid gloves... even Paul Friesen's pieces are fairly positive when you look back and he's essentially paid to raise shit

Reactions: snowkiddin

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Scheif should be in front of the net and Volare the side of the net a la last season.
Put Lambert in Scheif's spot.
Lambert Volare Scheif JMo KC
Yeah I like that. 55 is great at getting a shot on quickly from there which is harder than it looks considering how pks collapse

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Did you want to share the articles? I remember the media being very fair with Laine.
Winnipeg media is generally pretty easy going with the team and players, Laine certainly didn't treated harshly IMO, I wish the media was tougher. Laine would of been ripped to shreds back then if he was on the Leafs or Habs.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Winnipeg media is generally pretty easy going with the team and players, Laine certainly didn't treated harshly IMO, I wish the media was tougher. Laine would of been ripped to shreds back then if he was on the Leafs or Habs.
1) that would make it even harder to attract free agents
2) what does it even accomplish? you think having a tough media will make players play better? really seems to of worked well for the leafs...
3) he was just a teenager...
4) given his recent struggles with mental heath wishing the media was tougher on him is a pretty gross thing to say

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
1) that would make it even harder to attract free agents
2) what does it even accomplish? you think having a tough media will make players play better? really seems to of worked well for the leafs...
3) he was just a teenager...
4) given his recent struggles with mental heath wishing the media was tougher on him is a pretty gross thing to say

1) Winnipeg will never attract big FA's, plus seems to not affect Leafs or Habs too much. The media here is so easy going and gentle its annoying to everyone I know who listens. If you like it that way, cool thats your right.
2) Accountability (team & players) and improved play, we're paying these guys huge money they need to live up to it.
3) He was a professional being paid more money then any of us will ever make, I don't care his age at the time in Winnipeg. While age can be a factor/context, it doesn't accuse any bad performance/issues/comments of a player.
4) While I haven't read anything specifically about his office issues that was official or confirmed, I suspect he is more to do with losing his father then hockey related. His off ice issues weren't present in WPG so your point about his time here is moot as far as his current off ice issues are concerned. Again we can't speculate on his issues off ice. There's a difference between being sympathetic to a person struggling in a work place and excusing poor performance. I have sympathy for Laine issues (whatever they are), but that would never lead me to expect less of him (or any player or employee) on the ice and in the locker room.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
1) Winnipeg will never attract big FA's, plus seems to not affect Leafs or Habs too much. The media here is so easy going and gentle its annoying to everyone I know who listens. If you like it that way, cool thats your right.
2) Accountability (team & players) and improved play, we're paying these guys huge money they need to live up to it.
3) He was a professional being paid more money then any of us will ever make, I don't care his age at the time in Winnipeg. While age can be a factor/context, it doesn't accuse any bad performance/issues/comments of a player.
4) While I haven't read anything specifically about his office issues that was official or confirmed, I suspect he is more to do with losing his father then hockey related. His off ice issues weren't present in WPG so your point about his time here is moot as far as his current off ice issues are concerned. Again we can't speculate on his issues off ice. There's a difference between being sympathetic to a person struggling in a work place and excusing poor performance. I have sympathy for Laine issues (whatever they are), but that would never lead me to expect less of him (or any player or employee) on the ice and in the locker room.
winnipeg has a hard time attracting free agents, having a tougher media like toronto/mtl will make it even harder, who also do have problems attracting free agents due to the media, ryan o'reilly is an example of that

having a tough media does absolutely nothing at all, it's not going to suddenly make the players better... the only thing having a tough media is make the fans that can't yell at the players themselves happy

where did I say I liked our media? the only person I enjoy is murat, the rest of our media sucks...

also laine greatly outperformed his contract during his time in winnipeg, so I really don't get why you are saying you want him accountable for his performance issues...
110 goals on 74 assists on his elc is incredible value

Last edited:

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
winnipeg has a hard time attracting free agents, having a tougher media like toronto/mtl will make it even harder, who also do have problems attracting free agents due to the media, ryan o'reilly is an example of that

having a tough media does absolutely nothing at all, it's not going to suddenly make the players better... the only thing having a tough media is make the fans that can't yell at the players themselves happy

where did I say I liked our media? the only person I enjoy is murat, the rest of our media sucks...

also laine greatly outperformed his contract during his time in winnipeg, so I really don't get why you are saying you want him accountable for his performance issues...
110 goals on 74 assists on his elc is incredible value
We can agree on Murat being good, I like him also. The rest are just nice guys reporting on sports/hockey team, not sure if I would say any have created interesting subject matter ever.

Laine's lack of effort, defensive play and off ice work has been well covered in the past (not rehashing all of that again from years ago), on the Leafs or Habs he would be torn apart for that alone, never mind his comments about Little, his usage, being entitled, etc. Did he score goals? Yes he did, albeit the team pandered to him specifically on the PP which both helped (goals) and hurt the team (very predicable).

I'm not telling you to not like the player, if you love him its all good. But I'm also entitled to my opinion on him and I would never want him back on the ice or in the locker room. I hated all his drama and me first type of comments.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
We can agree on Murat being good, I like him also. The rest are just nice guys reporting on sports/hockey team, not sure if I would say any have created interesting subject matter ever.

Laine's lack of effort, defensive play and off ice work has been well covered in the past (not rehashing all of that again from years ago), on the Leafs or Habs he would be torn apart for that alone, never mind his comments about Little, his usage, being entitled, etc. Did he score goals? Yes he did, albeit the team pandered to him specifically on the PP which both helped (goals) and hurt the team (very predicable).

I'm not telling you to not like the player, if you love him its all good. But I'm also entitled to my opinion on him and I would never want him back on the ice or in the locker room. I hated all his drama and me first type of comments.
we can agree to disagree on laine as a player but can you honestly sit there and say that the media ripping him apart would actually accomplish anything? other then probably making yourself feel better that is...

Reactions: DRW204

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
we can agree to disagree on laine as a player but can you honestly sit there and say that the media ripping him apart would actually accomplish anything? other then probably making yourself feel better that is...

Do you think the Leafs media has a positive effect on Dubas (him getting fired)? Marner? AM? How about with Shanny?

IMO yes it does, it forces greater accountability and sets expectations higher. Media has both direct and indirect effects, some good some bad. I have seen some unprofessional media acts and I’m not advocating that either.

Do you support media asking tough questions to players, coaches and management? I do, I’m not suggesting abusive or unprofessional In saying tough questions to hold them to a higher standard. Most of our media is so soft it’s almost like watching an employee ask his boss a question bc they’re so afraid the media pass will be pulled or maybe it’s just bc we’re friendly Manitoba.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Do you think the Leafs media has a positive effect on Dubas (him getting fired)? Marner? AM? How about with Shanny?

IMO yes it does, it forces greater accountability and sets expectations higher. Media has both direct and indirect effects, some good some bad. I have seen some unprofessional media acts and I’m not advocating that either.

Do you support media asking tough questions to players, coaches and management? I do, I’m not suggesting abusive or unprofessional In saying tough questions to hold them to a higher standard. Most of our media is so soft it’s almost like watching an employee ask his boss a question bc they’re so afraid the media pass will be pulled or maybe it’s just bc we’re friendly Manitoba.
I think having a tough media will only have a negative effect, players are far more likely to play worse from the media pressure then better, and would more than likely make it harder to retain players as well

no, I don't think the leafs media has had an effect on the leafs, which is why I don't get why you are saying you want a tougher media... dubas was almost extended until his press conference where he said he needed to talk it over with his family then asked for a raise, they kept their core 4 intact despite only making it out of the 1st round once, marner will probably end up extending, they just finally fired keefe after years of failure, so where exactly is this accountability of having a tough media you speak of?

Last edited:
Reactions: weslox

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I think having a tough media will only have a negative effect, players are far more likely to play worse from the media pressure then better

no, I don't think the leafs media has had an effect on the leafs, which is why I don't get why you are saying you want a tougher media... dubas was almost extended until his press conference where he said he needed to talk it over with his family then asked for a raise, they kept their core 4 intact despite only making it out of the 1st round once, marner will probably end up extending, they just finally fired keefe after years of failure, so where exactly is this accountability of having a tough media you speak of?

Are expectations set higher with the Jets media or Leafs media? IMO much higher with the Leafs, setting high expectations is the first step in achieving higher goals IMO.

Leafs fired Dubas, clearly the media has held Marner accountable for his lack of performance in the playoffs, which will lead to greater effort or trade eventually.

Most employees are uncomfortable being held accountable for poor performance by their employer, but in the end we must all be held accountable. While the media isn’t their employer they often can say things to a player a team won’t say and or how fans feel and want to know/answers on. Is any media perfect, no of course not, some are better, some worse.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Are expectations set higher with the Jets media or Leafs media? IMO much higher with the Leafs, setting high expectations is the first step in achieving higher goals IMO.

Leafs fired Dubas, clearly the media has held Marner accountable for his lack of performance in the playoffs, which will lead to greater effort or trade eventually.

Most employees are uncomfortable being held accountable for poor performance by their employer, but in the end we must all be held accountable. While the media isn’t their employer they often can say things to a player a team won’t say and or how fans feel and want to know/answers on. Is any media perfect, no of course not, some are better, some worse.
what have the leafs actually accomplished from the media pressure? nothing at all.. which is the point, the market with the most pressure has not accomplished anything, it has hardly amounted to any sort of change as well, so why are you sitting here and saying that you want more pressure from the media?

again, leafs almost extended dubas until he asked for more money... it had nothing to do with the media at all...

don't get how you can claim that the media pressure will lead to a greater effort from marner...

"Most employees are uncomfortable being held accountable for poor performance by their employer, but in the end we must all be held accountable. While the media isn’t their employer"

exactly, the media isn't their employer.. the accountability should come from within whether it be teammates coaches gm's or owners, I think you greatly overestimate what having a tough media actually does.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
what have the leafs actually accomplished from the media pressure? nothing at all.. which is the point, the market with the most pressure has not accomplished anything, it has hardly amounted to any sort of change as well, so why are you sitting here and saying that you want more pressure from the media?

again, leafs almost extended dubas until he asked for more money... it had nothing to do with the media at all...

don't get how you can claim that the media pressure will lead to a greater effort from marner...

"Most employees are uncomfortable being held accountable for poor performance by their employer, but in the end we must all be held accountable. While the media isn’t their employer"

exactly, the media isn't their employer.. the accountability should come from within whether it be teammates coaches gm's or owners, I think you greatly overestimate what having a tough media actually does.
We agree to disagree, clearly we don’t see it the same way which is all good.

We do agree (I think) Murat is the best that follows the Jets and the rest of the media locally are poor. Cheers

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
1290 ripped laine constantly while giving many other players, evidently much older, a free pass. and attacking him for his off-ice mental health problems is low.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
1290 ripped laine constantly while giving many other players, evidently much older, a free pass. and attacking him for his off-ice mental health problems is low.

I remember them being specifically harsh after that stuff with the interview in Finland about playing with Little, though Laine didn't help himself there by actually making the comments in the first place.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Fresh off Morrissey's move from the worst contract list to the best, another Jet appears at #6 on the worst list.
I've never bought a thing he has tried to sell. IMO certainly not content worth paying for. If he was free click bait sure, but behind a paywall no thanks. And I was a long time Athletic subscriber.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad