TSN: Laine cleared to return from Player Assistance Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Since we are on the topic, Laine was not the only one having problems with Wheeler.

From an age old Jets subreddit post when Laine was traded:

Sure, some of those points weren't on the money but there is ample proof the problems in Jets room back then went beyond Laine.

Edit: Had to remove some links because it just made a huge media player mess..
Between Wheeler, Scheifele, Byfuglien, Laine, & Kane I can't think of a group that deserved each other more, it's too bad the later 2 missed each other by a year.

Captain bleeding heart Wheeler who ain't winning shit, Scheifele who's own farts don't stink, Byfuglien who couldn't let hockey get in the way of fishing, and then the whiny children Laine and Kane. What a squad

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Please elaborate?
I remember he had an outburst or disrespected one of his coaches during a game where he was upset with his ice time and Columbus' management publicly stating that "no one is bigger than the team".

He got in an “argument” on the bench with the assistant coach at the time, Larsen. Obviously responding terribly to a coach not being happy with his effort or play on the ice.
What a LEADER!! Torts and Larsen clearly hated the dude, they were 2 good coaches before Laine showed up…

Coach 3, Pascal Vincent, “I coach a team”— “I don’t coach individuals”

Lazy Laine—
“I’m not happy about that. They know that. It is what it is. It’s over and done.”

Shut up, Patty. Move your feet, crash the net 1 time….. and don’t let the door hit ya.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
He got in an “argument” on the bench with the assistant coach at the time, Larsen. Obviously responding terribly to a coach not being happy with his effort or play on the ice.
What a LEADER!! Torts and Larsen clearly hated the dude, they were 2 good coaches before Laine showed up…
Tortorella is obviously a good coach. Larsen is a good coach based on what exactly?

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
I remember he had an outburst or disrespected one of his coaches during a game where he was upset with his ice time and Columbus' management publicly stating that "no one is bigger than the team".
You're mixing and making things up.

It was Vincent last season who said
“I know what he can do on the ice,” Vincent said after Sunday's defeat. “I know his potential. He’s not happy about the decision, don’t get me wrong. But right now, I think Patty needs to take a deep breath. Go back to the working lab and get his touches back, get his shot back, get his confidence back, so he can be the Laine we all know he can be.

“It was a hard conversation, but nobody is bigger than the Blue Jackets.”
He was benched a bit over a week after coming back from a 20 day concussion recovery.. on the anniversary of his fathers death.

"Disrespected" thing was in 2021.. and no one knows what was said to Brad Larsen back then, but in the end Torts said it was "nothing big, it had nothing to do with his on-ice performance, we are by it".

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
I hope DW comes around on retention if it gets a better deal. It's only 2 years. Fantilli, Marchenko, KJ, and Chinakov are all locked up passed that. I don't think anybody else will be due for a big raise in the meantime either...

Reactions: thebus88

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Between Wheeler, Scheifele, Byfuglien, Laine, & Kane I can't think of a group that deserved each other more, it's too bad the later 2 missed each other by a year.

Captain bleeding heart Wheeler who ain't winning shit, Scheifele who's own farts don't stink, Byfuglien who couldn't let hockey get in the way of fishing, and then the whiny children Laine and Kane. What a squad
I’m surprised the nhl coach didn’t quit!

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB

Wait.....are you mad at Byfuglien for retiring?

Two useless goons who don't even sniff the later rounds.
The Jets made the semi-finals with Laine.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
So which teams could technically afford him even if Columbus absorbs 4 million+? I don't see any teams in their division probably work. So maybe out west? Could Utah work? Don't see teams who are coming off poor years be interested since he probably to old for their group.
Utah could. Laine would be amazing on a line with Maccelli and give Utah 3 solid top lines (and the 4th would be a top shut down line). GMBA would want to rip off CBJ to do it though.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Man the longer this goes on the worse the situation seems around Laine. A 1st+ to get this guy at $8.7? Yeah righhhhhtttttt.

You guys aren't on one, you're on two or more.
It doesn't benefit the Jackets to sell him low if they feel like they're getting lowballed. Might as well let him increase his value.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Man the longer this goes on the worse the situation seems around Laine. A 1st+ to get this guy at $8.7? Yeah righhhhhtttttt.

You guys aren't on one, you're on two or more.
Longer it drags on? WTAF he literally just exited the league program and could just start talking to the new GM and/or other teams...this thread gets more ridiculous

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Longer it drags on? WTAF he literally just exited the league program and could just start talking to the new GM and/or other teams...this thread gets more ridiculous
I think the concept that the return will be low is not ridiculous at all… There are three strikes against the player

1.) just getting out of Assistance.
2.) being significantly injured last year and in the past.
3.) large salary plus number one and number two.

These all work against a trade for Columbus getting any significant return… The most like a scenario is the second rounder and a decent prospect ( b level) maybe an NHL player to balance salary

Reactions: golgoXIII

ctmagic

Jan 15, 2013
I think the concept that the return will be low is not ridiculous at all… There are three strikes against the player

These all work against a trade for Columbus getting any significant return… The most like a scenario is the second rounder and a decent prospect ( b level) maybe an NHL player to balance salary
Most likely scenario is management tells him to show out beginning of the season and improve his value if he really wants out. Seems more like a deadline deal to me.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Most likely scenario is management tells him to show out beginning of the season and improve his value if he really wants out. Seems more like a deadline deal to me.
Not saying this is wrong, but it is much easier to move big salaries during the off season. After the season starts, the market of potential destinations is reduced because teams are close to the cap, particularly for a contract with term (i.e., not a pending UFA).

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
At Even Strength. Not all situations. Hit the button that shows even strength. But as stated earlier by Whiskey, the average at the bottom is not correct and is a site glitch/error.
Gotcha.. I missed the ‘Even Strength’ tab and was looking at 5v5

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Not saying this is wrong, but it is much easier to move big salaries during the off season. After the season starts, the market of potential destinations is reduced because teams are close to the cap, particularly for a contract with term (i.e., not a pending UFA).
Maybe at the start of the offseason, now free agency has passed and most cap is spend.

At the deadline (like the poster suggested) his effective cap hit will be lower and teams will have accured capspace, there will be much more teams that can make him fit.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
It doesn't benefit the Jackets to sell him low if they feel like they're getting lowballed. Might as well let him increase his value.
How do you know this is the lowest value he'll have? How do you know he'll increase his value?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

This is five strikes, unless you’ve worded it wrong and you can’t count 1 & 2 twice.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
No one here really knows the details and extent of the problems in Winnipeg, and even if someone knew, they wouldn't tell us on a public forum. What we do know is that trading Laine seemed to fix nothing. But honestly that doesn't tell us all that much about Laine and whether he was a "problem" or not, all it really tells us there were problems that had nothing to do with Laine.

Laine never publicly demanded a trade from Winnipeg, it was when it seemed they couldn't agree on an extension that his agent hinted at it publicly (edit: as in, "maybe it would be best"), I don't know what happened behind closed doors but he never "quit" on that team. He had a decent 19-20 season where he showed no signs of "quitting" on the team and his only game in 20-21 as a Jet he was everywhere, putting up the numbers and throwing his body around until he got injured. Compare that to players who actually quit on their teams, "the shift" and things like that. I get it some fans are salty just from a player wanting out, but there's a big difference between being a pro about it (which Laine was) and "quitting".

As to the situation with CBJ, keep in mind no one knew about the trade request until the CBJ management revealed it months and months after the fact. So he didn't demand anything in public, there was not even a hint at it.

Wanting out of two teams in a row is not a great look, but it is what it is, hyperboling it with quitting and making stuff up ("publicly demands out") is just dishonest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium