HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024-25 Season

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He would have to project for more than 60 points I think for Hughes to be interested. I'm not interested if that's his upside. I'd prefer a bigger more physical guy with say 45- 50 points.
I prefer a 65 point player with positive plus-minus. The NHL has decided that this year they will award points to the teams that score the greater number of goals in each contest, and not to the team that is taller or heavier, or finishes more checks

It's good to be fast, it's good to be strong, it's good to be physical, it's good to have a potent shot, or great vision or ability to break up plays, BUT...... all of these things are ultimately measured by the ability to score more goals than the other team. They are just means to the end of winning, and not ends in themselves.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
This team dearly needs a veteran presence, on the back end AND at forward. I can't believe that the veteran presence at defense is journeyman Matheson who's never been able to crack a top 4 in the NHL and Savard, who was a bottom pairing D for the majority of his career. Same goes for forwards... Anderson, Gallagher and Armia ? The need for great role model is so strong, who's going to show these guys how to win? Literally every single one of them /Savard are losers, most of them pathetic ones too.
Nope... But I did filter wrong, Kovacevic was actually the 3rd most played dman in Montreal for MSLs first 2 seasons.
View attachment 921560
I'm not sure you understand how TOI works, you could play 10 minutes for 1000 games and have more icetime than someone that played 26 for 300, it doesn't mean you were ahead in the depth chart, it just means you were here longer. You tried to be smart and failed, own it.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Yeah, it won't be for a while. What top UFA would want to come into this shit show. Frankly, they will have to solidify the top 6 fwd & top 4 D with draft picks or trades.

I can see them being able to sign bottom 6 UFA guys by just overpaying them.

They need one of those energy, physical 4th lines that can eat minutes, and be tough to play against. Same thing for the 3rd line except with more skill and offensive output. Not a fan of Newhook or Roy on the third line at all. In fact, more than ok if they move them along to revamp the bottom six.

This team as it is, is an easy game for the opponents both on the scoreboard and psychically.
Laine was willing to come to Montreal. A UFA under 28 years old should be interested if they are smart enough to see that Habs are no more than 3 years away from being a powerhouse. If they can't see that they are too stupid to play for the Habs.

This team dearly needs a veteran presence, on the back end AND at forward. I can't believe that the veteran presence at defense is journeyman Matheson who's never been able to crack a top 4 in the NHL and Savard, who was a bottom pairing D for the majority of his career. Same goes for forwards... Anderson, Gallagher and Armia ? The need for great role model is so strong, who's going to show these guys how to win? Literally every single one of them /Savard are losers, most of them pathetic ones too.

I'm not sure you understand how TOI works, you could play 10 minutes for 1000 games and have more icetime than someone that played 26 for 300, it doesn't mean you were ahead in the depth chart, it just means you were here longer. You tried to be smart and failed, own it.
What are you talking about? Matheson is a 60 pt defenseman that makes him a top 2 d. He may not be someone who will help the young d (like Savard will) but he is a top 4 d.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Laine was willing to come to Montreal. A UFA under 28 years old should be interested if they are smart enough to see that Habs are no more than 3 years away from being a powerhouse. If they can't see that they are too stupid to play for the Habs.

What are you talking about? Matheson is a 60 pt defenseman that makes him a top 2 d. He may not be someone who will help the young d (likeSavard will) but he is a top 4 d.
Is Tony Deangelo a top 2 D ? Why is he in the KHL at 29 then ?
Is Erik Gustaffsson a top 2 D ?
Is Shayne Gostisbehere a top 2 D?
Is Tyson Barrie a top 2 D ?
Is Jakob Chyrchrun a top 2 D?

Your DB page doesn't make you a top 2D.

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008

What are you talking about? Matheson is a 60 pt defenseman that makes him a top 2 d. He may not be someone who will help the young d (like Savard will) but he is a top 4 d.
😂

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
You can flip and spin as much as you want... Bad take remains a bad take.

My point wasn't about "depth chart", try reading first.

Kovacevic was the 3rd most used defenseman in NHL games by the Montreal Canadiens during MSLs first 2 seasons (full seasons, not counting the 2months he took over from DD ) coaching the team. Period. If you can't understand that, just keep re reading it until you do.

And apparently you don't understand what TOI means. Time. On. Ice. About as clear cut and simple as could be. Shouldn't be that hard, maybe it's a language issue?

Moving on :facepalm:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You can flip and spin as much as you want... Bad take remains a bad take.

My point wasn't about "depth chart", try reading first.

Kovacevic was the 3rd most used defenseman in NHL games by the Montreal Canadiens during MSLs first 2 seasons (full seasons, not counting the 2months he took over from DD ) coaching the team. Period. If you can't understand that, just keep re reading it until you do.

And apparently you don't understand what TOI means. Time. On. Ice. About as clear cut and simple as could be. Shouldn't be that hard, maybe it's a language issue?

Moving on :facepalm:
Same old same old.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

DeAngelo is probably a top 2 d. He is in the KHL because he is a cockroach. Gostisbehere and Chychrun probably are top 2. If a player can put up 60 pts and play passable defense he is very likely a top 2. Gustaffson is absolute shit. Matheson is not. He makes more unforced errors than you would want but does play some defense.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Or maybe NJ has a better team that has other players carrying the team?
So Kovacevic can play on a better team but he couldn't play on a bottom feeder. Yeah, that makes sense. He has 2nd line minutes with the Devils. Here he rotated in and out of the lineup.

Reactions: 1909

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
So Kovacevic can play on a better team but he couldn't play on a bottom feeder. Yeah, that makes sense. He has 2nd line minutes with the Devils. Here he rotated in and out of the lineup.

Is this a serious question?

Yes, playing with superior talent can allow a player to play a role that they otherwise wouldn't be able to handle effectively on a weaker team, without being carried.

Josh Anderson could go play a top line role next to MacKinnon & Rantanen and still be useless to us in the same role.

The inverse can also be true... A player could be stuck in a depth chart that depresses their role/usage on one team, and immediately step into a larger role once provided the opportunity.

In Kovacevic' case, he had ample opportunity to earn at top 4 role. We had/have the RD need. 2 year audition, 3rd most minutes on the team, Habs didn't see him as worth keeping... Best any team offered for him was a 4th.... That he's getting top 4 usage in NJ, while Pesce & Hughes are out with injuries, isn't a sign that he'd have been a top 4 opening night player for us.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
DeAngelo is probably a top 2 d. He is in the KHL because he is a cockroach. Gostisbehere and Chychrun probably are top 2. If a player can put up 60 pts and play passable defense he is very likely a top 2. Gustaffson is absolute shit. Matheson is not. He makes more unforced errors than you would want but does play some defense.
There's no world where Chychrun is a top 2D unless he's completely changed his game this year. He's one of the softest Ds in the league and is terrible at defending.

They all suck. Matheson is better than all of them.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
There's no world where Chychrun is a top 2D unless he's completely changed his game this year. He's one of the softest Ds in the league and is terrible at defending.

They all suck. Matheson is better than all of them.
I think he is, although I think he's close to Chychrun, well at least to the Chychrun of Arizona. Its still pretty easy to show that "60 point 1st pair" isn't an argument.

I think they all suck and Matheson sucks too, you can choose the less smelly pile of shit, sure, but it's still a pile of shit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad