HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024-25 Season

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I don't know how anyone can say with a straightface that Kovacevic would make this team better when they finished bottom 5 in back-to-back seasons WITH Kovacevic in the lineup.

• Matheson, Savard, Guhle, Kovacevic, Barron, Harris, Xhekaj, Edmundson,Wideman = bottom 5 finish in 2022
  • Matheson, Savard, Guhle, Kovacevic, Barron, Harris, Xhekaj, Struble = bottom 5 finish in 2023

But somehow:
Matheson, Savard, Guhle, Kovacevic, Barron, Xhekaj, Struble, Hutson will be better than the previous 2 years?? It's the SAME damn d-core folks.

Kovacevic is not moving the needle.
Tbh no one talks about Harris but he was more of a stabilizer than Kovacevic and younger. Oh but he was small

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
There aren't any steps left for those imho.

Look more at playing Hutson and Mailloux like monkeys in their own zone every night. Tell me you wouldn't want to have a stopgap instead of playing them together?
Mailloux is playing because of injuries though....and it's common for teams with injuries to have rookies get an opportunity.

Replacing Mailloux and/or Hutson with Kovacevic does nothing for this club.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Side thought: this argument goes both ways since Savard has seemingly declined but this shows importance of having leadership and experience

Tbh no one talks about Harris but he was more of a stabilizer than Kovacevic and younger. Oh but he was small
Considering the habs are still playing like a lottery team as they did with Harris and Kovacevic in the lineup, it's hard to argue that either move any needle.

The problem isn't depth d-man. The problem is the lack of top pairing performance on the back end. No one has really stepped up in this role other than maybe Guhle, and that is not enough.

The issue is that the habs top 6 is comprised of 6 players providing bottom pairing performance. Adding another bottom pairing D doesn't make the situation better. It's more of the same.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Also, NJ defense isn't playing well because of the addition Kovacevic. The more obvious answer is that Dougie Hamilton is back from missing almost an entire season, and they added Pesce. They also having Nemec in his second season along with the addition of Dillon.

Hamilton and Pesce>any habs d-men right now.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Also, NJ defense isn't playing well because of the addition Kovacevic. The more obvious answer is that Dougie Hamilton is back from missing almost an entire season, and they added Pesce. They also having Nemec in his second season.
Helps to have a sound rounded out D

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I don't know how anyone can say with a straightface that Kovacevic would make this team better when they finished bottom 5 in back-to-back seasons WITH Kovacevic in the lineup.

• Matheson, Savard, Guhle, Kovacevic, Barron, Harris, Xhekaj, Edmundson,Wideman = bottom 5 finish in 2022
  • Matheson, Savard, Guhle, Kovacevic, Barron, Harris, Xhekaj, Struble = bottom 5 finish in 2023

But somehow:
Matheson, Savard, Guhle, Kovacevic, Barron, Xhekaj, Struble, Hutson will be better than the previous 2 years?? It's the SAME damn d-core folks.

Kovacevic is not moving the needle.
Kovacevic would be better than Mailloux right now. I think they should have recalled Lindstrom instead of Mailloux personally.

I've been saying all off-season that the teams need an actual vet minute munching RHD. It was mostly so Guhle can go back on the left side, but now it's just to have a NHL caliber RHD on the team since Savard sucks too. But I'm not expecting anything to happen at this point. Too expensive and no-one is really available.

Reactions: vokiel

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Guhle hurt again Is not helping

I don’t know if he would help the Montreal Canadiens, but he’s a right-shot defenseman with experience, he’s 26, makes only $2.5 million and is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. There’s no risk.

If there’s a deal like that that makes sense and Kent Hughes is willing to take a gamble, why not take a chance? Maybe Dante Fabbro could fill a void or a seat.” - Darren Dreger

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
This Kovacevic discussion is somewhat pointless. What the team need is not what he bring, it's the current player to play to what their potential is.

Guhle played well but need to stay healthy.
Matheson need to play at least as good as last year. he hasn't.
Xhekaj need to be play like a young Cernak
Savard need to play like he did 2 seasons ago.

Hutson played as expected, he hasn't found a good partner.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Kovacevic would be better than Mailloux right now. I think they should have recalled Lindstrom instead of Mailloux personally.

I've been saying all off-season that the teams need an actual vet minute munching RHD. It was mostly so Guhle can go back on the left side, but now it's just to have a NHL caliber RHD on the team since Savard sucks too. But I'm not expecting anything to happen at this point. Too expensive and no-one is really available.
Okay, but Mailloux is only on the club because of injuries though. So what you are saying you would keep Kovacevic in the pressbox rotating with Arber and a rookie?

We're are literally than talking about players with minimal impact.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

I don’t know if he would help the Montreal Canadiens, but he’s a right-shot defenseman with experience, he’s 26, makes only $2.5 million and is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. There’s no risk.

If there’s a deal like that that makes sense and Kent Hughes is willing to take a gamble, why not take a chance? Maybe Dante Fabbro could fill a void or a seat.” - Darren Dreger
The cost would need to be quite low honestly.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Fabbro ain't the fix.

Reactions: sampollock

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Montreal's also tracking towards being the worst defensive team in the modern NHL era. Its not just personnel, its a coaching/strategy issue too.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Okay, but Mailloux is only on the club because of injuries though. So what you are saying you would keep Kovacevic in the pressbox rotating with Arber and a rookie?

We're are literally than talking about players with minimal impact.
Kovacevic was always the perfect 7th D to replace when injuries happen, instead the Habs now have to recall rookies. There is already too many rookies on this line-up.

And the Habs are trying way too much to graduate their prospects/young players before they are ready.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
He’s playing 13 mins a game when he actually gets in the line up and was well down the LHD depth chart and had no great attribute besides skating.

The grieving for 7Dmen in here is comical, who’s next, Jon ‘Joe Dirt’ Merrill??

Reactions: Miller Time

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I don't even think the "problem" RE: Kovacevic's absence is that the young guys weren't ready because that trade wasn't made with the expectation that Barron/Mailloux would be lockdown rock solid defenders right away. The main issue is that Savard has been really bad after the first game or two (and again, that Guhle is out), it's not like they made that trade with the intention of giving Barron and Mailloux 22 minutes a night each or something.

Yeah, if I could snap my fingers and undo the trade, I'd rather have Kovacevic than Savard right now, but the point was to leave 3RD open for young players with Guhle and Savard as the 1RD/2RD. One of those guys is hurt and the other has woefully underperformed. I don't think keeping Savard and Kovacevic around to lock out any RD spot for young players after Guhle would make much sense. They could have traded Savard I guess but I don't think it made sense to trade him given he was penciled in as Hutson's safety blanket and is one of just three players older than 30 on the roster. Sometimes you just get bad luck and I don't think it makes sense to go into the year with Struble/Xhekaj and Barron as the 7-8D on paper during a rebuild.
There aren't any steps left for those imho.
When Kovacevic was Barron/Guhle's current age he was still two years away from playing a single NHL game and three years away from becoming a regular with Montreal. Not sure why you'd declare those guys finished products.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Kovacevic was always the perfect 7th D to replace when injuries happen, instead the Habs now have to recall rookies. There is already too many rookies on this line-up.

And the Habs are trying way too much to graduate their prospects/young players before they are ready.
Thank you for admitting that we are spilling all these words on a 7th d like it makes any f***ing difference for a lottery team

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Thank you for admitting that we are spilling all these words on a 7th d like it makes any f***ing difference for a lottery team
It would make a difference in the development of the rookies/younger players. They aren't in the right chair right now and their confidence is taking a beating.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
It would make a difference in the development of the rookies/younger players. They aren't in the right chair right now and their confidence is taking a beating.
So the rookies would be sitting in the right chair if the habs had Kovacevic as their 7th d?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad