HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024-25 Season

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If KH makes no deal (for any reason, he doesn't want or can't) this season to boost this line up and that this team finish again in the bottom 5 of the league (which a lot of analysts predicted before the start of season), you are telling me that it is ok for Suzuki or any other player to get mad that the GM/organization because the team wasn't competitive?? There should be no surprised that this team will struggle this year again.... massive holes in the line up and tones of young players.
Well I would hope they would be mad...players should want to compete and want the team to get better.

But it's not their job so how they feel about it, if that's the main point you were making, doesn't really matter. Though I would argue it's not something Management should ignore either.
If I recall correctly, they where asked when Gorton/KH came in if they wanted to be part of the rebuild and they all signed on to the plan. If they are now unhappy with the plan... well yeah, maybe you trade them. You can't fix all of habs problem overnight. That is just the way it is.

So, in other word, this comes down to staying with the rebuild plan and not taking shortcuts because it is difficult. If trade opportunity comes along that fit in the plan, go ahead. but dont pull a Ottawa.
Yes I would hope the players understand it's a process and while a lot of signs point to this organization moving in the right direction, there's just so much inexperience on D and while we've got some really good young forwards, there's still a lot of deadwood to get rid of.

Reactions: Kosseca

vokiel

#DanzeMolsonMix
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
The player Montreal needs to trade is Newhook.....no spot in top 6 and top 9 with the forwards they have coming up....need more of a 2 way forward or physical forward for bottom 6.
I agree, but ... It's preferable to talk trade with the players, the other teams want. ;)

Positive Vibes

Habs4Life
Jun 24, 2016
Canada
The player Montreal needs to trade is Newhook.....no spot in top 6 and top 9 with the forwards they have coming up....need more of a 2 way forward or physical forward for bottom 6.
Newhook shouldn't be traded hes fast and young before he got injured last season he was on pace for like 45-50 pts?

Ideally hes a 3rd line winger though but i wouldn't trade him unless a team offers something Hughes/Gorton cant refuse.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
the depth is still so insanely thin. I'm happy to see what Kapanen can do, but things are very tenuous when the rusty 2C is now a winger and habs are basically 1 1st line and 3 3/4th lines

Reactions: Runner77

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
the depth is still so insanely thin. I'm happy to see what Kapanen can do, but things are very tenuous when the rusty 2C is now a winger and habs are basically 1 1st line and 3 3/4th lines
It’s not much better at D. Guhle, Lane, Matheson, and then a bunch of 5/6/7 guys.

Hope DR pans out because they need him badly.

They need to clear the deadwood this summer, use their picks, prospect pool, and spend money. Otherwise, it will be another long year.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
It’s not much better at D. Guhle, Lane, Matheson, and then a bunch of 5/6/7 guys.

Hope DR pans out because they need him badly.

They need to clear the deadwood this summer, use their picks, prospect pool, and spend money. Otherwise, it will be another long year.
As long as the Habs don't have cap space issues, they don't need to clear anything.
Anderson and Gallagher are doing a fine job on the 4th line and Dvorak is gone next summer.

There's no reason to spend assets or money to get rid of anybody until at least the 2026 offseason.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Either Dach is being too careful or he just needs extra time to find his bearings. I totally expected this as a lot is numbed when you don’t see action for almost a whole season. This plus losing Laine for a few months has sapped a little optimism but am willing to wait.

Guhle getting hurt all the time...
Aggravating
Might explain why Hughes hedged his risk by going with a shorter contract term.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Defense needs to play tight tonight
The system we play in our own end, has us looking like we are chasing the game...............it's brutal.
They have to do what they did on the PK, get aggressive and get the puck back, and move it out........

Right now, our PK system is the only thing that works.....bizzarro world stuff.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
As long as the Habs don't have cap space issues, they don't need to clear anything.
Anderson and Gallagher are doing a fine job on the 4th line and Dvorak is gone next summer.

There's no reason to spend assets or money to get rid of anybody until at least the 2026 offseason.
Well unless you’re ok finishing at the bottom again.

Buy out Gally and Andy, and rebuild bottom 6, and D

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
The 4th line will not be the reason they finish at the bottom again.
The problem is they don't have a 2nd line and they need another top 4 RD badly.
They have a brutal bottom 6 and need a RD. Time to spend and fill the holes.

Improving these areas will help a lot.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The 4th line will not be the reason they finish at the bottom again.
The problem is they don't have a 2nd line and they need another top 4 RD badly.
I don’t see how they do that without drafting and developing first and foremost. Too many pieces to assemble in one off season and still excess overpaid deadwood to deal with.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I don’t see how they do that without drafting and developing first and foremost. Too many pieces to assemble in one off season and still excess overpaid deadwood to deal with.
Gotta buyout one of those 2 guys, Andy or Gally next summer. Simply have to. Overpaid is the nicest thing we can say at this point.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Do what? Get a second line?
Laine - Dach - Demidov is possibility next season i guess, but that's not my point.

The point is blaming the 4th line for finishing at the bottom when they have much more important problems is a bit ridiculous.

It doesn't matter if they are overpaid, as long as they don't prevent the Habs to add players, and so far, they don't. They still have potentially over 8M of unused cap space even after adding Laine at 8.7M.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Gotta buyout one of those 2 guys, Andy or Gally next summer. Simply have to. Overpaid is the nicest thing we can say at this point.
But why, if they don't need the cap space?
I don't understand the logic.

The longer they wait, the easier and cheaper it will be to get rid of them, either by trade or buyout.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Either Dach is being too careful or he just needs extra time to find his bearings. I totally expected this as a lot is numbed when you don’t see action for almost a whole season. This plus losing Laine for a few months has sapped a little optimism but am willing to wait.

Might explain why Hughes hedged his risk by going with a shorter contract term.
agreed. Just so crazy, team is always one injury away from disaster at forward. Before that it was a CP31 injury away from disaster

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Do what? Get a second line?
Laine - Dach - Demidov is possibility next season i guess, but that's not my point.

The point is blaming the 4th line for finishing at the bottom when they have much more important problems is a bit ridiculous.

It doesn't matter if they are overpaid, as long as they don't prevent the Habs to add players, and so far, they don't. They still have potentially over 8M of unused cap space even after adding Laine at 8.7M.
Interesting 2nd line but team is still thin up front. One or two injuries and a domino toppling ensues. Looking forward to Hage as he has that top line upside but it may not be next season.

In terms of asset allocation, overpayment only really matters if they took steps to add bigger pieces in the next off season. That’s why that “in the mix” thing is disingenuous as they would need more quality pieces now to be on the outside looking in to making the playoffs.

I don’t think we have a good bottom 6 nucleus presently but you gotta start with foundational assets first. I’m liking those potential bottom sixers that Hughes targeted in Protz, Thorpe, Flojack plus Tuch from the prior regime.

They’re not all going to pan out but at least they’re drafting more size and grit (with a modicum of IQ and skill), which you don’t really want to have to chase if you didn’t have the foresight to gather them in house.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad