HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Would be terrible for Vancouver unless Canes are adding to that.

Who will the Nucks have playing RD if they trade Hronek?
Hronek completely fell apart in the second half of the season and was awful in the playoffs. Their forward depth is going to be taking a hit with all the UFAs and Necas would fit into their core in my opinion.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Revisionist history indeed.

I understand that there was a limit to what the Habs were willing to give, salary wise and assets wise, but to say, now that he's bombing in LA, that they weren't really interested after being in on PLD for 2 consecutive summers is very bizarre. Doesn't make any sense at all.

Not sure what Basu's motivation is to come up with that version now.
Basu is a spineless worm desperate to be upgraded to “mouthpiece” status. His colleagues have lost their jobs and income all around him and he knows it isn’t stable ground he’s standing on (I sympathize, but if he had actual insight he wouldn’t be so uncertain).

He will say the Habs weren’t deeply interested in PLD because it’s the truthish. They were interested in him at a price and not interested beyond that price.

He’s not an insider and he’s not an independent agent.

Now, this doesn’t mean he is automatically wrong about anything he says. I just don’t care about anything he says because he doesn’t have insight or puck knowledge — small but significant difference.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
How involved do you think the Habs will be in free agency.

I don't see anything major as we project it will be next year. I believe this year will be house keeping.

B&G podcast.

Edit: Basu adds that the Habs are likely to look at depth players. Potentially the liked of Trenin, Duhaime, Carrick. Basu brought up Kiefer Sherwood as a potential replacement for Pezzetta.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Sounds like revisionist history based on what was being reported at the time.

Regarding an offer, I don't know (Dubois himself admitted that LA wanted him more than Montreal) but everyone - including Basu - said the Habs were very interested. They weren't willing to give up anything but futures, that is true, but that doesn't mean they didn't try to make it work. Furthermore, I doubt an agent as seasoned as Brisson goes ball to the walls at the draft like he did if he wasn't aware of Habs interest. He was clearly trying to force a move.

For sure. Hell, I wanted him. But I think Basu going 'Oh they didn't want him' is cheap talk because he was reporting the direct opposite with a lot of details in the Athletic after LA got Dubois.

Habs were so interested in PLD they wouldn’t consider giving anything but futures and never anttempted ann anctual offer. That doesn’t sound like they were very interested in him, does it.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
My other thing about Necas in general. Everything we said about the cansdiens and free agency applies to Necas, too. Yes he's 25, but he's looking for a long-term contract at a pretty big number. So, all the window management and things we were talking about early they would have to make a commitment to Necas that wouldn't necessarily fit that.

He would make him a core piece right away with that contract.

He's never had 30 goals. He had 71 points last year, but took a dip this year.

- Basu.

Basically doesn't see the Habs trying to acquire Necas. That said, I have to imagine Laine isn't in the equation, either.

This was from a question about trading Matheson for Necas.

For Dach, there was a team that had a better draft pick, so the Habs had to throw in a 3rd round pick.

Godin brings up that if the Habs want to get better, they're going to have to pay.

He wonders why he (Necas) wants to leave a team on the cusp.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Legit question, when was the last time the Habs got a player they were rumored to be in on before a trade was made? We see Zegras and Necas mentioned but unless it's for the right price, Hughes isn't gonna overpay for those players.

Very rarely, I can't remember but we are used as click bait a lot. I never believed the Zegras rumors because it's counter to everything they are looking to build. I do believe they would be checking in on Necas but I think the contract and acquisition costs would need to be in the wheelhouse

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think it because Necas can’t win a face off to save his life and seems to be lack into consistency.
The same was said about Kirby Dach. Until we found out he's also got a lot of other qualities.
Also, with Gallagher and Anderson still on the roster, it limits our trading options.
I think the Habs should wait for a better player and one I don’t mind paying 9 mil for.
I mean that's fine, I'm a Necas fan but its not like I think he solves all of the Habs issues single-handedly either, but waiting for a 25-26yr old player to hit the market at 9M is a stretch IMO.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Basu, Godin etc have absolutely zero connections to the inner workings of the team. They are spoon fed exactly what the organization wants them to put out there and none of it is ever about potential trades or signings, it takes an extreme level of naivety and/or delusional thinking to believe otherwise. It is honestly embarrassing to hear people continuously treat these media personalities as insiders.

Both of Hughes and Bergevin before him in the latter parts of his administration have been pretty effective at running a tight ship.

In contrast, though it's been a while I think there were a lot of leaks during the Gainey and Gauthier administrations.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think it because Necas can’t win a face off to save his life and seems to be lack into consistency.

Also, with Gallagher and Anderson still on the roster, it limits our trading options.
I think the Habs should wait for a better player and one I don’t mind paying 9 mil for.

Agreed. We should be shooting higher and if it's not there, just wait. Necas is not a center. He's OK on D but Brindamour used him 67% on the offensive size. He's a high tempo, fast skater type with a good shot. Several fans are pegging him as a sure shot top 6F but I don't see it that way. I consider him a middle 6F but at he higher end of that waive of talent. Actually similar to Newhook in terms of player value but he is a bit older and matured.

Necas is clearly looking to cash in. That bothers me. This could end up being a 8 year mistake in terms of paying him top 6F rate when his is a middle 6F.

This is not another Dach and Newhook situation. Dach and Newhook were not as established and were a bit younger that Necas today. Necas will cost more assets to acquire and requires a long term extension. A player that is new and you don't know how he fits your core. Risky IMO

Reactions: Deus ex machina

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Agreed. We should be shooting higher and if it's not there, just wait. Necas is not a center. He's OK on D but Brindamour used him 67% on the offensive size. He's a high tempo, fast skater type with a good shot. Several fans are pegging him as a sure shot top 6F but I don't see it that way. I consider him a middle 6F but at he higher end of that waive of talent. Actually similar to Newhook in terms of player value but he is a bit older and matured.

Necas is clearly looking to cash in. That bothers me. This could end up being a 8 year mistake in terms of paying him top 6F rate when his is a middle 6F.

This is not another Dach and Newhook situation. Dach and Newhook were not as established and were a bit younger that Necas today. Necas will cost more assets to acquire and requires a long term extension. A player that is new and you don't know how he fits your core. Risky IMO
You think player's want to play for free? Why does it bother you that playes want to cash in?

You've got a guy here who says he wants a bigger role and wants to maximize his earnings and it bothers you?

Every single RFA or UFA wants to cash in. This idea that players play for the "love of the game" is for kids, they all want to get paid.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You think player's want to play for free? Why does it bother you that playes want to cash in?

You've got a guy here who says he wants a bigger role and wants to maximize his earnings and it bothers you?

Every single RFA or UFA wants to cash in. This idea that players play for the "love of the game" is for kids, they all want to get paid.

We already talked about this. Why do you want to have this conversation again? To change my mind? Come on man. You need to drop the players playing for free card because all you are doing is showing your lack of comprehension. I told you like 10 times, the 50/50 revenue split should not be touched. Players will get paid but there are too many going for maxed deals and then becoming complacent after they get it. The stars should get paid. The top line talents should get paid. The middle of the line-up players should not get maxed deals.

Cost to acquire Necas is too high. Cost of the next contract is too high. With Dach and Newhook, the cost was lower because they were younger and not as established. We were able to sign them to a bridge before their UFA years started. Able to test them and develop them on our team.

Necas is 25 and it's prime time. I don't like him cashing in because I don't think he is a $8M player. It's not that complicated to understand and you're getting annoying with your lack of comprehension on the subject. You're clearly looking at it from a players angle side only and I'm looking at if from the players and owners.

Now you can reply and separate things in multi posts. Tell me all about the players not getting paid and the owners taking advantage of it :rolleyes:

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Armia still an overpaid 4th liner. He was bad enough to go in the ahl last season.
He is making 3.5M$, than is over paid but it isn’t awful for a NHL vet especially since there only one year left, also he was the 8th best scorer and amongst our best fw way too many games. he was a + player playing 3min of PK out of 15min with leftovers teammates, Armia is a top 9 player, a very good 4th liner at worst… the hate on Armia is just extremely exaggerated… Armia is in the lineup for both EDM and FLA if they could have him, he isn’t just hanging to a job because he on a bottom team…

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
We already talked about this. Why do you want to have this conversation again? To change my mind? Come on man. You need to drop the players playing for free card because all you are doing is showing your lack of comprehension. I told you like 10 times, the 50/50 revenue split should not be touched. Players will get paid but there are too many going for maxed deals and then becoming complacent after they get it. The stars should get paid. The top line talents should get paid. The middle of the line-up players should not get maxed deals.
Cause this is a discussion board and I don't understand why you keep repeating this narrative. It's jsut lame. You keep talking about max deals, he's not looking for a max deal, no player in the NHL has a max deal.

You're just fabricating narratives against players and it's not fair to be honest. Have you looked at the NHL salary cap by player? 7-7.5M is NOT a max deal, it's the going rate for an NHL top 6 player.

Cost to acquire Necas is too high. Cost of the next contract is too high. With Dach and Newhook, the cost was lower because they were younger and not as established. We were able to sign them to a bridge before their UFA years started. Able to test them and develop them on our team.
We don't know what the cost is going to be to acquire Necas but I don't disagree that I wouldn't just trade the farm to acquire him. The cost of his next contract is projected to be at 7-7.5M which again, is in line with other top 6 players and he's a top 6 player.

Troy Terry is 1 year older, coming off a 54pt season and makes 7M/yr...i'm not sure why you think Necas would be maxing out with that kind of salary. It's market value.
Necas is 25 and it's prime time. I don't like him cashing in because I don't think he is a $8M player. It's not that complicated to understand and you're getting annoying with your lack of comprehension on the subject. You're clearly looking at it from a players angle side only and I'm looking at if from the players and owners.
It's not my lack of understanding the issue here nor do I care if i'm annoying you, i'm sorry if you think you're above discussion but no one has ever discussed paying him 8M, you've just fabricated a number and again, spreading a narrative to promote your agenda.
Now you can reply and separate things in multi posts. Tell me all about the players not getting paid and the owners taking advantage of it :rolleyes:
Yes, I like to address specific points people make, again, sorry that bothers you...I don't post here to please you nor do I care to get into this silly discussion about how I post or what annoys you, i'm not here to please your whims. I'm also trying to keep it above board here so maybe try to do the same.

I'm here to talk hockey, if that bothers you, you're in the wrong place.

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
He is making 3.5M$, than is over paid but it isn’t awful for a NHL vet especially since there only one year left, also he was the 8th best scorer and amongst our best fw way too many games. he was a + player playing 3min of PK out of 15min with leftovers teammates, Armia is a top 9 player, a very good 4th liner at worst… the hate on Armia is just extremely exaggerated… Armia is in the lineup for both EDM and FLA if they could have him, he isn’t just hanging to a job because he on a bottom team…

Armia played great and earned his 3.5m last season. If he plays like that this season we’ll get a decent asset for him at the deadline.

Reactions: Rozz and Habs Icing

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Some people seem to hate on Armia just out of habit.
They hated on him so long that they can't come around to giving him credit for the pretty good season he's had. That would be admitting that they were wrong about him.

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
Suzuki runs the PP don't tell me it's Matheson with his secondary assists . The plays come from anywhere except Matheson with his 5 foot pass to Caufield or Suzuki.

Don't forget we had Matheson for freaking Petry and Poehling. If you get any with valuable assets , I couldn't care less about him. He's not getting extended anyways and it's not like we are playoff bound. You trade ur best assets at the top not when they are in a slump.

We still need veterans around and he’s our best puck mover. He will be traded but best to wait until at least the deadline or next summer. It won’t hurt having our young guys get seasoning in Laval for awhile.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Laine makes 8.7 and is in the NHL’s assistance program. I don’t know why we’d want this guy. He throws out cap structure out of whack as well as team culture.

Hard pass.

Reactions: Scintillating10

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
How involved do you think the Habs will be in free agency.

I don't see anything major as we project it will be next year. I believe this year will be house keeping.

B&G podcast.

Edit: Basu adds that the Habs are likely to look at depth players. Potentially the liked of Trenin, Duhaime, Carrick. Basu brought up Kiefer Sherwood as a potential replacement for Pezzetta.
Not sure where those guys would be playing. Habs have already Armia, Gallagher, Anderson, RHP, Pezzetta and ideally Newhook and Roy as bottom 6 wingers. They need two top 6 wingers.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Not sure where those guys would be playing. Habs have already Armia, Gallagher, Anderson, RHP, Pezzetta and ideally Newhook and Roy as bottom 6 wingers. They need two top 6 wingers.
Every Habs fan should memorize this sentence and repeat it like a Zen mantra whenever they get the urge to post on the Hab's board.

Reactions: habsfan891

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Cause this is a discussion board and I don't understand why you keep repeating this narrative. It's jsut lame. You keep talking about max deals, he's not looking for a max deal, no player in the NHL has a max deal.

You're just fabricating narratives against players and it's not fair to be honest. Have you looked at the NHL salary cap by player? 7-7.5M is NOT a max deal, it's the going rate for an NHL top 6 player.

We don't know what the cost is going to be to acquire Necas but I don't disagree that I wouldn't just trade the farm to acquire him. The cost of his next contract is projected to be at 7-7.5M which again, is in line with other top 6 players and he's a top 6 player.

Troy Terry is 1 year older, coming off a 54pt season and makes 7M/yr...i'm not sure why you think Necas would be maxing out with that kind of salary. It's market value.

It's not my lack of understanding the issue here nor do I care if i'm annoying you, i'm sorry if you think you're above discussion but no one has ever discussed paying him 8M, you've just fabricated a number and again, spreading a narrative to promote your agenda.

Yes, I like to address specific points people make, again, sorry that bothers you...I don't post here to please you nor do I care to get into this silly discussion about how I post or what annoys you, i'm not here to please your whims. I'm also trying to keep it above board here so maybe try to do the same.

I'm here to talk hockey, if that bothers you, you're in the wrong place.

You asked me if I think players should play for free and that's not the narrative I was talking about. I just do not like paying Necas $8M. He's not that good. You can try to justify his next contract all you want. I disagree on the player value.

What bothers me is you think I think the players should get less and the owners should get more. NOPE. It's a 50/50 revenue split and I like that. Necas is too expensive to acquire in a trade and too expensive on his next contract. He's lined himself up well to cash in and I think it's going to be overpayment on both the trade value and contract. Simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad