HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Some people seem to hate on Armia just out of habit.
They hated on him so long that they can't come around to giving him credit for the pretty good season he's had. That would be admitting that they were wrong about him.

So many fans like to go on attack mode when the player is trending badly or has flaws. Armia is one of them and so was Lehkonen. Anderson is another. He had a horrible season and in some fans minds, he can never be allowed to rebound.

Armia is not just some 4th line player. He's a solid 3rd line guy. He got his awakening when going to the AHL last season. Also, the cap has risen. The flat cap seasons are in the past now and that was holding teams back on several situations. I can certainly see a team in the bottom 10 looking for a player like Armia (possible trade this summer to free up room). If he stays, he might be a good add for a contender at the deadline. I wouldn't expect much in return but we should get something.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It depends on what happens this off-season.
I don’t think anything’s going to happen in the offseason. We’re building through the draft. I don’t think we’re adding Laine or Zegras or whoever the rumour of the day is coming here.

I think we’ve got Roy penciled in for the second line along with either CC or Newhook - depending on how they want to balance the lines.

We’ll see but I never believed the PLD stuff and I don’t believe the stuff that’s coming out now. There will be a time for UFAs and big trades but I don’t see it happening now.

Reactions: 417

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Basu is a spineless worm desperate to be upgraded to “mouthpiece” status. His colleagues have lost their jobs and income all around him and he knows it isn’t stable ground he’s standing on (I sympathize, but if he had actual insight he wouldn’t be so uncertain).

He will say the Habs weren’t deeply interested in PLD because it’s the truthish. They were interested in him at a price and not interested beyond that price.

He’s not an insider and he’s not an independent agent.

Now, this doesn’t mean he is automatically wrong about anything he says. I just don’t care about anything he says because he doesn’t have insight or puck knowledge — small but significant difference.
Sure it was true-ish...if you want to stretch the truth a lot.
Like i said, there was a limit to what they were willing to pay to get him. But that also applies to guys like Necas, and pretty much all other players on the market.
To say that they weren't really interested as a result is a bit ridiculous.

I still think that Basu is one of the better journalists covering the Habs, but he lost a bit of credibility with that story.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t think anything’s going to happen in the offseason. We’re building through the draft. I don’t think we’re adding Laine or Zegras or whoever the rumour of the day is coming here.

I think we’ve got Roy penciled in for the second line along with either CC or Newhook - depending on how they want to balance the lines.

We’ll see but I never believed the PLD stuff and I don’t believe the stuff that’s coming out now. There will be a time for UFAs and big trades but I don’t see it happening now.

Fun to talk about potential options but I agree. I am not sure we see another Dach or Newhook trade this summer. Those are circumstantial trades and they don't happen every off season.

No doubt Hughes is going to turn over every rock but he's not desperate. If it makes sense, he will make a move. If it don't, it's OK.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
I've seen this mentioned several times but why do people act like 7M/yr is a lot of money?

Why is it other teams can afford multiple players even making 9-10-11M but the Montreak Canadiens are doomed if they pay a top 6 player, top 6 money?

That's not even top line money anymore.

Brendan Gallagher makes 6.5M/yr and we’re acting like Necas @ 7M/yr is a max deal.
It is not a lot of money now. There are less bridge contracts.

7 millions for the same production than Newhook is the problem.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Not sure where those guys would be playing. Habs have already Armia, Gallagher, Anderson, RHP, Pezzetta and ideally Newhook and Roy as bottom 6 wingers. They need two top 6 wingers.
Pezzetta sounds like he's out. RHP can be waived, just like Pezzetta if no one wants him, so there's room for 1 spot at least.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You asked me if I think players should play for free and that's not the narrative I was talking about. I just do not like paying Necas $8M. He's not that good. You can try to justify his next contract all you want. I disagree on the player value.
That was in response to you saying that it bothers you that Necas is trying to cash in.

Every single professional athlete is looking to cash in. I'm not sure why that bothers you. Players have a limited amount of time to make a lot of money, of course they want to cash in. There's nothing inherently wrong with that.

This fear that a player is just going to cash out and coast is something that happens rarely.

Also, once more, I NEVER said that Necas should make 8M$, you've come up with that number yourself because it helps drive home your narrative. It has been reported that his market value is around 7.5M on a long term deal.

I think that's more than reasonable and in line with players in his class.

You're disagreeing with yourself on his value because no one is saying pay him 8M.
What bothers me is you think I think the players should get less and the owners should get more. NOPE. It's a 50/50 revenue split and I like that. Necas is too expensive to acquire in a trade and too expensive on his next contract. He's lined himself up well to cash in and I think it's going to be overpayment on both the trade value and contract. Simple as that.
There you go again creating narratives to justify your argument that I haven't even debated, I haven't even mentioned owners. You keep talking about 50/50 revenue split and I honestly don't know why lol.

You think acquiring Necas is too expensive from an asset's perspective?

OK, although we don't know exactly what it will cost, but i'd agree with you given the number of teams interested, the cost will be high and probably prohibitive from the Habs perspective.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That was in response to you saying that it bothers you that Necas is trying to cash in.

Every single professional athlete is looking to cash in. I'm not sure why that bothers you. Players have a limited amount of time to make a lot of money, of course they want to cash in. There's nothing inherently wrong with that.

This fear that a player is just going to cash out and coast is something that happens rarely.

Also, once more, I NEVER said that Necas should make 8M$, you've come up with that number yourself because it helps drive home your narrative. It has been reported that his market value is around 7.5M on a long term deal.

I think that's more than reasonable and in line with players in his class.

You're disagreeing with yourself on his value because no one is saying pay him 8M.

There you go again creating narratives to justify your argument that I haven't even debated, I haven't even mentioned owners. You keep talking about 50/50 revenue split and I honestly don't know why lol.

You think acquiring Necas is too expensive from an asset's perspective?

OK, although we don't know exactly what it will cost, but i'd agree with you given the number of teams interested, the cost will be high and probably prohibitive from the Habs perspective.

I stand firm on what I said. I'm not repeating the same things

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It is not a lot of money now. There are less bridge contracts.

7 millions for the same production than Newhook is the problem.
Newhook had a career high 34pts this season and that was before he signed his extension, prior to that his career high was 33pts.

If Newhook had the kind of production Necas had, prior to Newhook signing his extension, there's no way the Habs would have been able to never mind acquire Newhook for what they gave up but sign him to a deal paying him 2.9M for 3 years.

This will be Necas 3rd contract.

Two entirely different situations here.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Fun to talk about potential options but I agree. I am not sure we see another Dach or Newhook trade this summer. Those are circumstantial trades and they don't happen every off season.

No doubt Hughes is going to turn over every rock but he's not desperate. If it makes sense, he will make a move. If it don't, it's OK.
I hope HuGo will be patient. Gorton experience with Rangers shows that speeding the rebuild might not be the right thing. I know they are top 4 in the league, but they basically cut their contending period drastically and they might not win anything because most of their core players are 30+ now. None of their rebuild pieces (Kakko, Laf, Chytil) were properly developed and only Laf is now part of their top6.
We are in better position now having young 1st line, then Newhook, Dach, Roy plus 5OA and young defense where we still need to incorporate Reino, Mailloux, Hutson to 1st team roster, but you do not want to make any stupid moves to ruin the good base. I would just try to add one piece with top6 potential.

Reactions: HABitual Fan

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I hope HuGo will be patient. Gorton experience with Rangers shows that speeding the rebuild might not be the right thing. I know they are top 4 in the league, but they basically cut their contending period drastically and they might not win anything because most of their core players are 30+ now. None of their rebuild pieces (Kakko, Laf, Chytil) were properly developed and only Laf is now part of their top6.
We are in better position now having young 1st line, then Newhook, Dach, Roy plus 5OA and young defense where we still need to incorporate Reino, Mailloux, Hutson to 1st team roster, but you do not want to make any stupid moves to ruin the good base. I would just try to add one piece with top6 potential.

We won't have a speedy rebuild like the Rangers. They got Panarin, Fox, Trocheck for free. That's 3 substantial pieces

Habs need to just let our young guys rise. It's going to take time. Our Rebuild is attractive because we have both quality and quantity but we got more work to do.

I do think Gorton/Hughes will remain patient. They are fully aware of the long term vision flaws Bergevin had and so does Molson. Any move we make will be circumstantial based on timing. Does the timing fit.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I didn't ask you to repeat anything, just follow a discussion but you're apparently above that.

So be it.

Eventually you'll realize it's 2024 and the salary cap isn't at 54M anymore.

Nope. You think Necas is a better player than what I think. At least show me some signs you are comprehending the debate. That's the frustrating part. He's not worth $8M bud. You're thinking he is a sure shot top 6F. That's the debate so can you stop it with the spins.

You like to split posts and separate them. I like to bold the important parts. With a $92M cap, Necas is not worth $8M.

• Haha
Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Nope. You think Necas is a better player than what I think. At least show me some signs you are comprehending the debate. That's the frustrating part.

He's not worth $8M bud. You're thinking he is a sure shot top 6F. That's the debate so can you stop it with the spins.
The irony lol

Once again, I HAVE NEVER SAID MARTIN NECAS SHOULD MAKE 8M/YR. NEVER.

It's actually hilarious you're accusing me of not comprehending and spinning when I've REPEATEDLY said that his market is in the 6.5-7.5M range, I've even offered comparable players like Owen Tippett, coming off a 52pt season (6.2M) and Troy Terry, coming off a 54pt season (7M).

Yet YOU keep saying 8M/yr...we're officially in silly season.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Pezzetta sounds like he's out. RHP can be waived, just like Pezzetta if no one wants him, so there's room for 1 spot at least.
Ideally, i have Newhook and Armia as 3rd line Ws and Gallagher and Anderson as 4th line Ws.
RHP and Pezzetta as extras.
Roy as first call up when there's inevitably an injury to a top 9 player.

That leaves two spots on the 2nd line.

But i'm not in charge so anything is possible, i guess.
They might see Newhook as a 2nd line player, but i'd rather they get a middle 6 player to replace him on the 3rd than a clear bottom 6.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I know I'm crazy for even suggesting it, but parts of me would really pop if they manage to bring DLO back for one last run on the fourth line. He played his best hockey with us, so he might be motivated to lose some of the bulk and be a good energy player again. Sounds like the Flyers would be open to trading him for pretty cheap too. I like Pez, but DLO is pretty much him on steroids (perhaps quite literally :P). He wouldn't have to be playing every game, obviously, but the inter division stuff in particular he could help with a lot.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
It depends on what happens this off-season.
Off course. But i think they could get a top 6 player via trade or UFA and let 1 disponible spot for Newhook or Roy to take.

Roy is that kind of prospect you need to know what you have before making a move. And it could take 1 year or 2 before he proves himself.

I know almost everyone is penciling him into an ideal 3rd line winger but i'm not so sure about that. Wouldn't be surprise to see him climbing the latter and establish himself as a very potent top 6 winger.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Habs were so interested in PLD they wouldn’t consider giving anything but futures and never anttempted ann anctual offer. That doesn’t sound like they were very interested in him, does it.

I guess. OTOH, one could also argue if they were willing to give him as much or a bit above Suzuki (reported by Basu in the Athletic post-trade), they were very interested.

It goes both ways. Doesn't really matter though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad