HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Maybe the truth is in the middle, maybe there was interest but not at the level it was made out to be.

I always had the feeling Dubois/ Brisson were using the Habs to unsettle him out of Winnipeg and that would probably mean the Jets were going to tax the Habs as a result if they came calling, which was probably a game Hughes wasn't going to play.

It seems weird for an agent, while a player has his rights owned by a different team, be so focal about the desire for his client to play in a different city, its really unheard of if we’re honest.

Well actually, that's a common ploy in European soccer when players are trying to force their way out of a club, but in hockey? I can't remember that ever happening.

Anyway. That chapter is done

Habs were heavily mentioned as a destination for PLD and the day PLD goes to LA, the Habs traded for Newhook. I don't think it's a simple coincidence.....

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Habs were heavily mentioned as a destination for PLD and the day PLD goes to LA, the Habs traded for Newhook. I don't think it's a simple coincidence.....
I didn't say it was a coincidence…Dubois’ agent publicly declared his clients wishes to play in Montreal.

Of course it's going to be mentioned as a destination, nevermind the fact he's from the region and has been linked to the Habs since he was in the draft.

I'm questioning the amount of interest the Habs truly had.

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
Necas cannot be the solution. Reach 71 points because of Ahos magic.
You cant fill your lineup with those 7 millions contact without consequences.

He his the big rumoured available player, for sure the habs are on the case.

Lets wait a year of Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux and 5th to gain experience and buy next year.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Necas cannot be the solution. Reach 71 points because of Ahos magic.
You cant fill your lineup with those 7 millions contact without consequences.

He his the big rumoured available player, for sure the habs are on the case.

Lets wait a year of Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux and 5th to gain experience and buy next year.
I've seen this mentioned several times but why do people act like 7M/yr is a lot of money?

Why is it other teams can afford multiple players even making 9-10-11M but the Montreak Canadiens are doomed if they pay a top 6 player, top 6 money?

That's not even top line money anymore.

Brendan Gallagher makes 6.5M/yr and we’re acting like Necas @ 7M/yr is a max deal.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Mattheson for PLD, with LA retaining salary to make in equal and a 1st.

Only if our coach thinks he can motivate PLD, though.

BozoTheClown

Jul 10, 2021
I've seen this mentioned several times but why do people act like 7M/yr is a lot of money?

Why is it other teams can afford multiple players even making 9-10-11M but the Montreak Canadiens are doomed if they pay a top 6 player, top 6 money?

Brendan Gallagher makes 6.5M/yr and we’re acting like Necas @ 7M/yr is a max deal.
I think it because Necas can’t win a face off to save his life and seems to be lack into consistency.

Also, with Gallagher and Anderson still on the roster, it limits our trading options.
I think the Habs should wait for a better player and one I don’t mind paying 9 mil for.

Last edited:

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Dubois, Necas, Zegras, Laine… a pile of awful, along with aoft and flawed guys that will cost a bunch of assets - now some people want to trade the Memorial Cup MVP who only scored two goals, won 90 percent of his faceoffs and was a physical force for Saginaw? From a forward prospect group that can be described as thin (at best).

Stay the course. Draft Lindstrom or Iginla. If you can move up closer packaging the 26th pick and a young defenseman or two, then by all means pull the trigger, but otherwise hold the line.

Sign depth/reliable motivated guys and move out Dvorak and Armia whenever possible. I’ve already mentioned Joshua, and Pesce, as guys I’d try to acquire but that’s just me.

Go for it in the off season next year when you’ll have at least two more first round picks, much more cap space and a better idea of how guys like Hutson, Xhekaj, Guhle, Reinbacher and our 5th overall are developing.

Now isn’t the time to get hasty in the rebuild, throwing assets and cap space at guys that won’t be driving the play. These next two years dictate the trajectory of our next ten. It’s crucial that things are done correctly so that the foundation of things to come is strong. We are in an excellent spot now, and we have the right guys in place. I understand the frustration of waiting and wanting a winner, but we are developing nicely. We have an elite young power forward in Slaf, a strong captain and two way player in Suzuki, the most potential I’ve seen on the blueline since the late 80s in Guhle, Reinbacher, Hutson, Xhekaj, and Mailloux. An incredibly talented Beck on his way up, Roy who looks to be a versatile hard working winger, and whomever we draft in the next couple of years.

Stay the course, accumulate and develop talent, leverage cap for picks/prospects, draft wisely.

Stay the course.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Who runs the PP? Don’t say Hutson. He’s had a couple games of NHL experience.
Suzuki runs the PP don't tell me it's Matheson with his secondary assists . The plays come from anywhere except Matheson with his 5 foot pass to Caufield or Suzuki.

Don't forget we had Matheson for freaking Petry and Poehling. If you get any with valuable assets , I couldn't care less about him. He's not getting extended anyways and it's not like we are playoff bound. You trade ur best assets at the top not when they are in a slump.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

^qft

$7M for a proven top 6 point getter is perfectly fine (especially with the cap going up). Is Necas the final piece? No... but Dach cannot be trusted to stay healthy, and Roy/Newhook isnt a top 6 (yet if ever)... so we have only 3+1 legit top 6ers.. thats before any injuries.. we have nothing in the pipeline except very solid bottom 6 prospects.. and anyone we draft this year is still a few years away (if) they pan out..

So long as his character fits with the group I can't see the downside to acquiring him..

This isnt some MB pipe dream to convert him into a 100pt guy. 70 pts on the 2nd line is amazing... the forward group are going to start scoring at a higher clip when our young PMDs start gelling...

Reactions: 417 and ReHabs

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Basu didn't seem convinced they'd try hard for Necas. Combination of trade cost, contract cost and that they are weary of the salary structure they have to put in place to be competitive long term.
Legit question, when was the last time the Habs got a player they were rumored to be in on before a trade was made? We see Zegras and Necas mentioned but unless it's for the right price, Hughes isn't gonna overpay for those players.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Legit question, when was the last time the Habs got a player they were rumored to be in on before a trade was made? We see Zegras and Necas mentioned but unless it's for the right price, Hughes isn't gonna overpay for those players.

Basu, Godin etc have absolutely zero connections to the inner workings of the team. They are spoon fed exactly what the organization wants them to put out there and none of it is ever about potential trades or signings, it takes an extreme level of naivety and/or delusional thinking to believe otherwise. It is honestly embarrassing to hear people continuously treat these media personalities as insiders.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Dubois, Necas, Zegras, Laine… a pile of awful, along with aoft and flawed guys that will cost a bunch of assets - now some people want to trade the Memorial Cup MVP who only scored two goals, won 90 percent of his faceoffs and was a physical force for Saginaw? From a forward prospect group that can be described as thin (at best).

Stay the course. Draft Lindstrom or Iginla. If you can move up closer packaging the 26th pick and a young defenseman or two, then by all means pull the trigger, but otherwise hold the line.

Sign depth/reliable motivated guys and move out Dvorak and Armia whenever possible. I’ve already mentioned Joshua, and Pesce, as guys I’d try to acquire but that’s just me.

Go for it in the off season next year when you’ll have at least two more first round picks, much more cap space and a better idea of how guys like Hutson, Xhekaj, Guhle, Reinbacher and our 5th overall are developing.

Now isn’t the time to get hasty in the rebuild, throwing assets and cap space at guys that won’t be driving the play. These next two years dictate the trajectory of our next ten. It’s crucial that things are done correctly so that the foundation of things to come is strong. We are in an excellent spot now, and we have the right guys in place. I understand the frustration of waiting and wanting a winner, but we are developing nicely. We have an elite young power forward in Slaf, a strong captain and two way player in Suzuki, the most potential I’ve seen on the blueline since the late 80s in Guhle, Reinbacher, Hutson, Xhekaj, and Mailloux. An incredibly talented Beck on his way up, Roy who looks to be a versatile hard working winger, and whomever we draft in the next couple of years.

Stay the course, accumulate and develop talent, leverage cap for picks/prospects, draft wisely.

Stay the course.

1717474478720.gif

What???? Man I don’t have time to wait 2-3 years to make the playoffs.

Do this instead

1. Brady Tkachuk
For

1. Habs 24’ 1st (#5)
  2. WPG 24 1st (#27)
  3. Habs 25 1st
  4. CAL/FLA 25 1st
Then do this

1. Martin Necas
For

1. David Reinbacher
Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Tkachuk - Dach - Necas
Newhook - Beck - Roy

Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Hutson - Savard

Go big or go home babyyyyy

(obviously I'm kidding, don't do this Kent)

Last edited:

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Sounds like revisionist history based on what was being reported at the time.

Regarding an offer, I don't know (Dubois himself admitted that LA wanted him more than Montreal) but everyone - including Basu - said the Habs were very interested. They weren't willing to give up anything but futures, that is true, but that doesn't mean they didn't try to make it work. Furthermore, I doubt an agent as seasoned as Brisson goes ball to the walls at the draft like he did if he wasn't aware of Habs interest. He was clearly trying to force a move.

For sure. Hell, I wanted him. But I think Basu going 'Oh they didn't want him' is cheap talk because he was reporting the direct opposite with a lot of details in the Athletic after LA got Dubois.
Oh yeah, I'm not trying to call you out or anything, just finding it weird that Basu is going on that direction now when anyone could pull up an article penned by him a year ago that directly contradicts what he's saying.

I think that was the truth was what ended up happening. The Habs were interested but not at any cost and weren't scared of pivoting if it didn't work out. But if they'd gotten him they would have paid him. This much is obvious. Not sure if this is something that team is feeding to I don't know, not look stupid after his bad year or something? But who cares? There'd have been no shame in being interested considering his profile and it's not like they were gung-ho and beat LA's offer.
Revisionist history indeed.

I understand that there was a limit to what the Habs were willing to give, salary wise and assets wise, but to say, now that he's bombing in LA, that they weren't really interested after being in on PLD for 2 consecutive summers is very bizarre. Doesn't make any sense at all.

Not sure what Basu's motivation is to come up with that version now.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I used to like the idea of Necas, 7m is reasonable for regular season numbers, but the no-shows in the playoffs is a pretty big dealbreaker and i'm not talking about points. Hoping the Jackets get him and that sways their decision at the draft table.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Could a team in the 10th-15th spot be interested in Xhekaj and 26th? The pick would then be flipped to Anaheim for Zegras.

I know that some (many of you) don’t want Zegras. Just want to know if the value is there.

If we do trade Xhekaj+26 for a pick in the early teens I think it's gonna be to pick a second player, maybe a faller (Lindstrom,Iginla,Catton,Sennecke,Buium). Not to trade for Zegras.

Then again, if they trade X+26 for Zegras I wouldnt mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad