HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Really?

I think Laine for 26OA would be an easy yes assuming he passed medical / fit to play tests.

We've got a recent 26OA in Laval... Not very good.

Gotta go back to 2008 to find a player remotely close to the level that Laine is likely to provide (if healthy) the next few years.

1st + Mailloux... I'd probably pass as well. But just the late 1st? Tough to say no to that though probably push for them to take some cap back (Dvo or Armia)
A 26 OA is not necessarily a bad pick just cause the Habs may have made a questionable selection at that slot in a prior draft. Drafting mistakes always happen, as well as home runs (Hutson picked later than 26 OA).

Also, I’d argue that the Armia of the second half last season, no longer makes him a throw in, in deals — assuming that’s his new normal, added to the fact that he’s in a contract year so it’s likely he’ll continue performing. DVO stays only because of positional need otherwise we saw what kind of fodder the market begets when you need a centre.

As for Laine, it’s always a delicate thing to evaluate a player who has mental health concerns and who had to enter the Player Assistance Program. Good on him for getting the help he needs but I don’t get why the Habs should attempt to take him on when they don’t know what they’re getting into.

I’d rather they use the 26OA to try and move up or in some package for a young upside player that a counterpart has soured on but who has a clean medical slate.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The thing is the teams that do it own the zone.
We were starting to see some of that briefly at one point when our top wave was owning the zone.
We were able to play longer shifts but we aren't consistent enough with our puck handling and decision making.
The GDT's were full of remarks about the breakdowns and what was causing them...

If Dach and Hutson slot in it should help.

I hope we don't insert Hutson on his offensive skills only. Make him learn how to be trusted on D (to his best ability). We already know he has the offensive skill and skating.

Last thing we need is to spoil him offensively and he burns us with the bridge or long term deal in as early as 2 more seasons. This is how the Leafs managed their young "guns". Even someone like Caufield went through a rough time with Ducharme and his complete game nit pick management. No doubt MSL was better at it but Caufield did learn from his rough time with Ducharme as well.

2 NHL games and the turnovers/60 is already very high at 5.28. Doesn't hit much and has zero blocks. We are being a bit premature thinking Hutson is stepping in right away because of the offensive skill.

Why didn't we let Barron loose offensively? Because we are coaching him to learn how to be trusted on D and that required AHL time.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Alex Kovalev is the biggest waste of talent in the history of hockey. He had two excellent years.

He will always live with the title..... "what could have been"
Stanley Cup Champion, Olympic Gold Medalist, Over 1000 points, All-Star MVP, Captain Team Russia.

Tough crowd, 99% of players would have loved to have his career. He's done just fine for himself and lived up to his talent.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Stanley Cup Champion, Olympic Gold Medalist, Over 1000 points, All-Star MVP, Captain Team Russia.

Tough crowd, 99% of players would have loved to have his career. He's done just fine for himself and lived up to his talent.
Doesn't matter, he didn't play his hardest against the Atlanta Thrashers on a Tuesday night in January. Point moot/trash player/waste of talent.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Laine is a good buy low candidate. Would love to see MSL work with him. If he can get his mojo back he would be a welcome addition to our top 6 and a threat on the PP.

Laine-Suzuki-Slaf
Caufield-Lindstrom-Dach

Thats a good competitive top 6
I still wouldn't give a first for him. Id give Harris Anderson/Gallagher with a 2nd pick.

Also Drouin went into a crisis in MTL and Laine did the same in Columbus. Laine is not made to play in a big market.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

He didn't though. If he would've had half the desire and compete level as some of the greats, he would've been in the same conversation as them, but he isn't.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
I still wouldn't give a first for him. Id give Harris Anderson/Gallagher with a 2nd pick.

Also Drouin went into a crisis in MTL and Laine did the same in Columbus. Laine is not made to play in a big market.

He never played in a big market, maybe he will thrive here. I would be Ok trading win 1st pick for him. Only 2 years left on his contract, not a big risky move. If it doesnt work out we are probably able to recoup a pick trading him before he hit FA. But if he regain is old form we are adding a 40 goals scorer , 6'5 winger for very cheap

• Haha
Reactions: jellybeans

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
Who says no?

TB: Mike Matheson + Owen Beck + 2nd RD pick 25 (PIT)
MTL: Mikhail Sergachev

TB saves money to sign Stamkos, replace Serge with a cheaper but really solid LHD who fits their window + gets a couple of young pieces to help restock their prospects cupboard.

Then,

MTL: 8th OA pick
SEA: Mikhail Sergachev

Ideally, the draft goes something like this, which I think is possible based on teams needs:

SJ: Celebrini
CHI: Levshunov
ANA: Silayev
CLB: Dickinson
MTL: Demidov*

UTA: Buium
OTT: Parekh
MTL: Lindstrom*

And Id even try to move up from 26 in the teens to get Sennecke if he falls a bit.

Reactions: Benstheman

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
You can package 26th OA + Barron + 56th OA + and a lot of teams from 13-17 could bite imo. STL at 16 is a premium trade partner since they lack a solid RHD prospect (and they have scouted Laval a whole lot when Barron was down). So lets say something like that: Barron + 26 + 56 for 16 assuming Sennecke falls to 16 based on this mock draft continuing at 9:

CGY: Iginla
NJ: Brandsegg-Nygard

BUF: Yakemchuk
PHI: Helenius
MIN: Catton
SJ: Eiserman
DET: Solberg

MTL: Sennecke*

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
Who says no?

TB saves money to sign Stamkos, replace Serge with a cheaper but really solid LHD who fits their window + gets a couple of young pieces to help restock their prospects cupboard.

Then,

Ideally, the draft goes something like this, which I think is possible based on teams needs:

And Id even try to move up from 26 in the teens to get Sennecke if he falls a bit.
Tampa would say no

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Exactly this. I always laugh when people call him a disappointment. He just wasn’t wired that way or maybe he didn’t have the stamina to give 100% every game. He was who he was, and that was a borderline HOFer.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
A 26 OA is not necessarily a bad pick just cause the Habs may have made a questionable selection at that slot in a prior draft. Drafting mistakes always happen, as well as home runs (Hutson picked later than 26 OA).
Indeed... But it's not just the Habs...

Reality is that the odds of getting a top 6 player from the mid 20s is quite low. Let alone an elite/top tier one.

If a person doubts Laine's ability to return to a 30+g top 6 impact player, then sure, the pick would be preferable.

Imo
Odds of Laine being a top 6 contributor >> 26OA becoming a top 9 regular

Hence why 1:1 it's close to a no brainer provided we can navigate the cap implications (either in that deal or by unloading one of Dvo/Armia without retention)

Also, I’d argue that the Armia of the second half last season, no longer makes him a throw in, in deals — assuming that’s his new normal, added to the fact that he’s in a contract year so it’s likely he’ll continue performing. DVO stays only because of positional need otherwise we saw what kind of fodder the market begets when you need a centre.
I don't see Armia as a "throw in" either. I agree that he played most of last year at a very good level for his cap hit & role.

Him and Dvo have the most moveable cap hits. If the "cost" of getting Laine was either + 26 OA, I'm ok to pay that.

As for the C question... Laine in the top 6 could mean Newhook staying at C. Or alternatively, a bottom/middle 6 C add via ufa or trade is an option to explore (Monahan? Burger?)

As for Laine, it’s always a delicate thing to evaluate a player who has mental health concerns and who had to enter the Player Assistance Program. Good on him for getting the help he needs but I don’t get why the Habs should attempt to take him on when they don’t know what they’re getting into.
Absolutely.
Though I think our management group is well positioned and connected to get the kind of inside info to make a good assessment on that. If they are concerned, they wouldn't touch him even at a much smaller cost

I’d rather they use the 26OA to try and move up or in some package for a young upside player that a counterpart has soured on but who has a clean medical slate.
Fair.

I think making an addition of established talent to the top 6 is a better approach right now. This group is ready to make a big leap but we need a bit more scoring depth to mitigate injuries sewering yet another season.

The difference is that Kovalev was essentially bored because he was too good at hockey (not even joking). Laine has mental health issues and risks being a cancer in the room. Kovalev wasn't the same
Eesh... I don't align to that kind of stigma around mental health challenges, personally

Reactions: Runner77

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Exactly this. I always laugh when people call him a disappointment. He just wasn’t wired that way or maybe he didn’t have the stamina to give 100% every game. He was who he was, and that was a borderline HOFer.
And the flavor of the week is to talk about guys who win in the playoffs/were playoff performers, he was one of the best every series we played.

Everyone always points to that dumbass highlight of him shaking his wrist trying to sell a call and costing us that game against the Bruins... how did the rest of that series go? He was a BEAST and we beat a Bruins team we had no business against.

Yeah, he didn't try every game. He tooks WEEKS off sometimes. But he always played when it counts and he always stepped up when needed. We pinned the damn C on him when Koivu was hurt.

• Love
Reactions: Habs10Habs and the

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
yeah… 4000pt career player if he had shown up for games apparently :sarcasm: last potential 320pt winger to dress for the habs.

Montreal ran out of those tiny car flags when he was around.

Reactions: the

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Who says no?

Then,

man, that is some creative dreaming!

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
When has Laine ever put his team first? :dunno:
I just don't see why anyone would consider this half hearted wonder.
Marty can't work miracles and Hughes wants team guys who compete.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad