HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Well you still have contracts to unload: Gally, Armia, Anderson, Dvo and Savard.
I dont consider Savard a dump (more of a TDL overpay move) - Dvo i can live with, if only for flexibility. Too expensive for a 3rd C but he doesnt really hurt the team on the ice. (he also doesnt do much offensively lol). Big Meh.

But absolutely, Mtl need to offload. Wonder if Armia has some value now? Sounded like he got his head on straight after getting a therapist; ended the season on a great note.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Laine is a good buy low candidate. Would love to see MSL work with him. If he can get his mojo back he would be a welcome addition to our top 6 and a threat on the PP.

Laine-Suzuki-Slaf
Caufield-Lindstrom-Dach

Thats a good competitive top 6

Reactions: Benstheman

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Wondering if Hughes will be able to unload Price contracts this summer ?

Also I think Dvorak and Armia could be traded to Chicago or San Jose after or at the draft to meet the minimum salary requirement and sell them at next year trade deadline.

Hoping for a strong finish from Josh Anderson in order to raise his value.

Forget about Gallagher he's going nowhere unless a similar bad contract in coming, anybody have a worse contract in the NHL outside of Huberdeau and Dubois?
Yeah it's pretty bad. There are surely some id mark as worse, mostly because Gally is still a warrior and those other players are buzzkills. I dont know if Gally has injuries or needs to make changes in his training and diet, but he looks finished the second he plays more than 10 minutes in a game.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Patrik Laine is a big forward with great sniping hability who could do really great in a market like Montreal behing guys like Suzuki/Slaf. Him and Dach would be two big guys on the second line. A sniper and a playmaker. Add to them Caufield or our 5th overall this year and this is two good trios.

Plus Laine is buy low candidate, so timing is good. AND he is the same age of Suzuki.

Reactions: Benstheman

Gaud

May 11, 2017
If CLB ask for the WPG 1st and Logan Mailloux for Patrick Laine, who says no?

I do. And Montreal. And most of the fanbase, i believe. :P

I remember how the habs were before the org. decided to go the rebuild route; it was painful to watch because it was obvious they didnt believe in it and didnt want to be there.

After the rebuild, i think the focus was a lot more on the culture; it was clear the team wasnt going to the playoffs, but they played the majority of games as a team that wanted to try. I feel like the org. is thinking the same, so i think they take on players with this in mind, which is why we are taking on "cap dump" players like monahan and get rid of the Hoffman types. Even Pearson was a friggin traffic cone, but seemed to have the right attitude.

I dont think Mtl would take on a Laine or Dubois for this reason. I am not in their lockerrooms, but i get the sense that both are drags when it comes to the collective.

Reactions: jrom

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I dont consider Savard a dump (more of a TDL overpay move) - Dvo i can live with, if only for flexibility. Too expensive for a 3rd C but he doesnt really hurt the team on the ice. (he also doesnt do much offensively lol). Big Meh.

But absolutely, Mtl need to offload. Wonder if Armia has some value now? Sounded like he got his head on straight after getting a therapist; ended the season on a great note.
If Armia have a decent last season, he will net us something interesting at the deadline. Good playoffs guy. Big frame. Elite defensively. If we retain, we could absolutely get a 2nd+3rd for him.

Reactions: Gaud

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm for Laine
I'm for Zegras
I'm for Kakko
I'm for Necas

This team needs skill. Skill to the point that if one skilled guy goes down to injury, you have enough of them to that you continue to roll on until the other guys returns.

What depends is what the Habs would need to give up for any of these. Laine an Kakko would both be buy low candidates. Laine has scored goals and put up points in his career whereas Kakko has yet to break out. But they're both real big boys and although they aren't known to be physical forces, those are still real big bodies you need to move and deal with.

Zegras and Necas will cost more to get, of course, but I'm not closed to the idea of Habs acquiring any of these guys.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
I just don't like the timing. We have a few more transition seasons and Laine could walk in 2 years. Would be annoying if he comes to the Habs, does very well, and then demands $9M+ when the cap is $92M+. The same off season where we have to extend Dach.
I think the timing is right. His value is at all-time lowest and CBJ will have a new GM. It is always easier for new GM to just cut the losses and sell the player low in order to get more bullets (cap space, roster spot, ice-time for prospect, locker room atmosphere) to acquire his own targets.
Laine is suffering with depresions he played for two teams in NHL and was not happy there. If he finds place where he would be happy (MTL fans passion, MSL coaching style, Suzuki as captain, CC and Slaf with their positive energy in locker room), he would be the last person to ask for change.
Two years contract might be a positive in the end. If it does not work out, you just spent couple years on salaries and move on. It is not a long-term commitment which could turn out to be an anchor in our contending years.

Reactions: Pat Riot

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Not sure if you guys are talking about Lane because of McCagg and the sick podcast, or what, but Grant doesn't have any player with real cap going back. If you're traded for Laine you're sending Dvorak back at the very least.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Not sure if you guys are talking about Lane because of McCagg and the sick podcast, or what, but Grant doesn't have any player with real cap going back. If you're traded for Laine you're sending Dvorak back at the very least.

Ideally yes but if the blue jackets insist on only picks and prospect it shouldnt be a deal breaker. We have cap room and probably can get something back for Dvorak at the trade deadline

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
I'm for Laine
I'm for Zegras
I'm for Kakko
I'm for Necas

This team needs skill. Skill to the point that if one skilled guy goes down to injury, you have enough of them to that you continue to roll on until the other guys returns.

What depends is what the Habs would need to give up for any of these. Laine an Kakko would both be buy low candidates. Laine has scored goals and put up points in his career whereas Kakko has yet to break out. But they're both real big boys and although they aren't known to be physical forces, those are still real big bodies you need to move and deal with.

Talent is great and something we need but if it doesn't come with a compete level and some heart behind it, it's meaningless. Laine and Zegras have all the talent in the world, but they are marginal players.

Kaako is a 3rd/4th liner. Pass

Necas could be intriguing but I don't see why the Canes wouldn't keep him. They have no cap issues. Unless there's more to his dad story than what's been reported, I see him staying there.

Just my take on these guys.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Cmon, Grant is copying HFborads, we all know that. We have been discussing Laine month ago.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I'm for Laine
I'm for Zegras
I'm for Kakko
I'm for Necas

Zegras and Necas will cost more to get, of course, but I'm not closed to the idea of Habs acquiring any of these guys.
These are the skilled types of guys, he needs to be zeroing in on..................no doubt about it.
At some point, we will see him move players and picks with the new expectations of turning it up a notch as far as expectations..........................

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Unless I am missing something, the only forward for Dallas under 6’ is Stankoven. Dallas has 4 players in their top 6 with height at 6’2” and over compared to 2 for the Habs.

We can take a look at someone like Connor Garland that has a mix of skills, grit and tenacity and also performs well in the regular season. Unfortunately due to his small size, his effectiveness diminishes considerably in the playoffs.

I have been saying for a few years now to give Riley Tufte a chance. We are not winning at a high level for at least another 2 years.

Also, there are some players with size and toughness we could get this offseason.
Guys like Maroon, Carrick, Carrier, O’Brien or Greer.
Pretty sure Pavelski is under 6. I'd bet Seguin is too. Granted both are close. I think NHL.com exaggerated.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
Laine is a major gamble. Hasn't played a full season in 6 years. The potential is there but he struggles with his health both injuries and mentally. Could rebound in Montreal with new life or crumble under the pressure

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Habs don't really need to offload to create unused cap or cap we use that hurts us for when Slaf, Dach, Newhook need new contracts. We can't just have a complete roster with everyone under the age of Suzuki.

Savard is likely to be traded from now till next TDL

Armia might be moved this summer. He had a good season once he got kicked in the ass (AHL). I don't think he is that difficult to move to a bottom 5 or bottom 10 cap team.

Dvorak is needed at center. I'm not buying Newhook as a full time center. Even if Newhook was a full time center, what is our center insurance if one of Suzuki, Dach, Newhook, Evans get injured? Best to keep Dvorak and have Newhook as the play making winger IMO.

Anderson had a horrible season and he knows it. I think he comes into camp more ready. If he don't rebound, we have another Drouin contract where we need to let it expire.

Gallagher is Gallagher. We all know where he was and where he is.

None of these contracts are hurting us with the term they have left and when we would need cap space for Dach, Slaf, etc. And we are getting value with their vet experience they can pass off to the younger guys.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Laine is a major gamble. Hasn't played a full season in 6 years. The potential is there but he struggles with his health both injuries and mentally. Could rebound in Montreal with new life or crumble under the pressure
For my money there is not a chance he survives the fishbowl.
I doubt very much we would be considering him.
HuGo clearly stated they will not be making moves that could put the re-build in jeopardy.
I could see us taking a swing at someone like him once our core is fully developed.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Depends on the cost and what we can send the other way. Anderson plus Jets 1st works for me and I'd ask for retention on Laine (down to around $7M). If the Blue Jackets say no, we don't go any deeper than that. Maybe exchange Gallagher for Anderson. Dvorak is another idea but I would question our center depth without Dvorak. One injury and MSL has massive problems up the middle. If Dvorak is moved, we have to add a few centers in the AHL

I just don't see the timing working out well. He's got 2 years left and these are transition years for the Habs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
For my money there is not a chance he survives the fishbowl.
I doubt very much we would be considering him.
HuGo clearly stated they will not be making moves that could put the re-build in jeopardy.
I could see us taking a swing at someone like him once our core is fully developed.

Depends on team success and if Dach is the player we think he can be. Having too good lines with improves from youth all around changes things. There are major advantages to having both Suzuki and Dach performing to their full potential. Center and top 4D are huge areas.

Laine wasn't playing with much talent on the Blue Jackets. They have huge issues up the middle and that has ripple effects. Habs fans know this far to well (or we should)

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Alex Kovalev also had consistency issues and was considered a lazy russian. Turns out he became one of our most impactful trades of this century.

As long as they do their homework on Laine and don't overpay, I'm all for it.

At some point if you want high end talent, you have to take a gamble, teams are not trading their high end talent that don't have warts. You just have to hope you have a better environment for the player than their current one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad