HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I like Laine but the problem is that he needs the same spot as Cole on the PP. You can’t pay both players that much and not use them in those situations. I don’t see a fit.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Depends on team success and if Dach is the player we think he can be. Having too good lines with improves from youth all around changes things. There are major advantages to having both Suzuki and Dach performing to their full potential. Center and top 4D are huge areas.

Laine wasn't playing with much talent on the Blue Jackets. They have huge issues up the middle and that has ripple effects. Habs fans know this far to well (or we should)
Laine hasn't been playing for years now BIG pass.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Laine hasn't been playing for years now BIG pass.

Anderson hasn't been playing for at least a year. lol. And you know I have defended Anderson. Still a fan but that inconsistency is frustrating.

If I had a choice over the two frustrating assets, I choose Laine. This is deeper than just looking at Laine. I'm looking at both Laine/Anderson.

If other teams steer shy and the Jackets really do want to move on from Laine. I'd be very happy with a Dvorak and Anderson trade to acquire. Doesn't hurt our cap. Only concern I would have is our center depth is shit without Dvorak. One injury to Suzuki, Dach, Newhook, Evans and who is the replacement?

If Dvorak is traded, we need to add a few depth guys at center in the AHL. Dvorak would be someone I can see the Jackets being interested in.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Anderson hasn't been playing for at least a year. lol.

And you know I have defended Anderson. Still a fan but that inconsistency is frustrating.

If I had a choice over the two frustrating assets, I choose Laine.
Exactly and there is no reason to add another potential problem.
I take our management at their word they won't be doing that.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I like Laine but the problem is that he needs the same spot as Cole on the PP. You can’t pay both players that much and not use them in those situations. I don’t see a fit.
Marty loves to split both units equally when we had RHP/Gally/Anderson/Armia/Xhekaj as the 2nd unit so I don't think it's an issue to have him on the second unit.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Beendair Donedat

Don’t be a Jimmy Juice Arse
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Laine is the new flavour of the day I see.
Acquiring a guy with severe mental health issues and a tendency to be injured for huge parts of every season doesn’t seem like a good investment to me (and hopefully not to Hughes and Gorton either). Unless you’re getting him for nickels on the dollar, and dumping some serious garbage back on Columbus, I don’t see any point. He would wilt like a flower in the Montreal pressure cooker.

If we are dipping into the UFA market, Dakota Joshua would be a guy I’d take a long look at if were the Habs upper management. He just turned 28 and is coming off a breakout season where he scored 19 goals and finished in the top 10 for hits. Also had a very solid playoffs where we scored 8 points in 13 games while being a constant physical presence. Good on the PK as well, and can take draws when necessary.

The other guy would be Brett Pesce. A very good, steady, all around player with solid skating, size and ability to move the puck. Would be the perfect complement to Guhle on the top pair.

In a couple of years (potentially):

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Joshua - Iginla/Lindstrom - Dach
Roy - Beck - Newhook
Tuch - Xhekaj - Gallagher

Guhle - Pesce
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Montembeault
Fowler

Reactions: Rapala

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Acquiring a guy with severe mental health issues and a tendency to be injured for huge parts of every season doesn’t seem like a good investment to me (and hopefully not to Hughes and Gorton either). Unless you’re getting him for nickels on the dollar, and dumping some serious garbage back on Columbus, I don’t see any point. He would wilt like a flower in the Montreal pressure cooker.

If we are dipping into the UFA market, Dakota Joshua would be a guy I’d take a long look at if were the Habs upper management. He just turned 28 and is coming off a breakout season where he scored 19 goals and finished in the top 10 for hits. Also had a very solid playoffs where we scored 8 points in 13 games while being a constant physical presence. Good on the PK as well, and can take draws when necessary.

The other guy would be Brett Pesce. A very good, steady, all around player with solid skating, size and ability to move the puck. Would be the perfect complement to Guhle on the top pair.

Roy - Beck - Newhook

Guhle - Pesce
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Montembeault
Fowler

Few things here:
1- No to Laine. Even free in a trade, his cap hit handcuff the team going into next summer UFA season.
2- no to Dakota. He's gona look for that big contract and I looked at him during the playoff, and I dont see him being a key piece on a top 6 to justify that.
3- yes to Pesce but to play with Hutson down the line. I would normaly pass on UFA this summer, but there are no other RD available that I like the same or more next (2025) ufa. So it's one of those, buy while you can situation. I want Reib to play with Guhle.
4- Iginla is a W, not a C.

Reactions: Habricot

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Marty loves to split both units equally when we had RHP/Gally/Anderson/Armia/Xhekaj as the 2nd unit so I don't think it's an issue to have him on the second unit.
He never split it equally. The 1st unit routinely got 1.5 mins of a 2 min PP unless they were completely unable to gain control in the zone.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Laine is injury prone, already bald and taking mental breaks like please he's gonna play the Sens or Bruins and ask for a week off.

Big no, unless they want Anderson 🐴

1000004319.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: waitin425

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

There are two PP units.

With me, it's all about the price. If it was Anderson and Dvorak, are we really going to complain that much? If there are so much red flags on Laine, the cost is low right?

Laine is injury prone, already bald and taking mental breaks like please he's gonna play the Sens or Bruins and ask for a week off.

Big no, unless they want Anderson 🐴

View attachment 874802

We can't have it both ways guys. He's either a big problem (like Anderson) or he is not. If he is not a big problem, we are not trading the value to acquire. If he is a big problem, why are some of you complaining about his game when the idea could be Anderson and Dvorak as the return going the other way.

If we are trading for Laine, we are not digging deep with young assets. Correct? We all agree there right?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
There are two PP units.

With me, it's all about the price. If it was Anderson and Dvorak, are we really going to complain that much? If there are so much red flags on Laine, the cost is low right?
The growing (and correct) trend of NHL PPs is completely loading up your 1st unit and playing them the majority of the PP. Along with the trend of 4 forwards and 1 defenceman. Wasting $9m in cap space for a guy who will be on your 2nd unit and has mental health issues is just silly cap management.

And it won’t be for Anderson and Dvorak, that’s just fantasyland.

Reactions: HabbyGuy and Rapala

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Alex Kovalev also had consistency issues and was considered a lazy russian. Turns out he became one of our most impactful trades of this century.

As long as they do their homework on Laine and don't overpay, I'm all for it.

At some point if you want high end talent, you have to take a gamble, teams are not trading their high end talent that don't have warts. You just have to hope you have a better environment for the player than their current one.

Exactly.

Environment and external factors play a role in how an athlete performs & behaves.

Kovalev is a great example. While he wasn't going to be winning a selke or leadership award, he was a great addition for us and Gainey (a guy who as a player was the polar opposite of the way Kovy wa perceived when we acquired him) saw past the narratives and bet on his competitiveness shinning through... Which it did.

Laine has had a rough few years both injury-wise and with the well documented challenging locker room environment Flanders & Wheeler presided over in the peg.
Columbus has been a mess since he got there (3 coaches in 4 seasons, plus the Babcock fiasco & management overhaul).

His career is at an inflection point, a change of scenery and a supportive environment with a coach/GM that prioritize open communication and embrace skill may well help him get back on track... The all-world skill hasn't gone anywhere, provided he can get his body & mind right

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Roy - Beck - Newhook

Guhle - Pesce
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Montembeault
Fowler
We are revisiting a proposal that was downed at least two weeks ago.
The idea that we can get something for nothing prevails.
Joshua is exactly the type of player I hope to acquire long before we try to fill a top 6 spot with a flyer.
I've had the same thought since the end of February we desperately need support type players.
Any way you look at it those are the most logical moves going forward if we hope to compete.
A couple of big rugged wingers who can also play hockey is what we need.
The players themself know what we need and it ain't Patrik Laine.

Reactions: Beendair Donedat

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The growing (and correct) trend of NHL PPs is completely loading up your 1st unit and playing them the majority of the PP. Along with the trend of 4 forwards and 1 defenceman. Wasting $9m in cap space for a guy who will be on your 2nd unit and has mental health issues is just silly cap management.

Depends on the team and what you have.

Well, the interest is obviously buy low fantasyland. I would say 90%+ of us want nothing to do with trading young assets to acquire.

I find it strange to attack his game but then also assume the price to acquire is high. Who the hell knows how much he is worth on the trade market. But if the cost is low and it we can unload Anderson and Dvorak. Why not. If the cost is high, I pass and it's a waste of time to talk about Laine's flaws.

High Price = Zero Interest. No further discussion required.

Low Price = Some Interest. Further discussion required.

Imagine calling Bergevin on a player he thinks is struggling and he hangs up the phone. A day later he is traded to a team for a very low price and Bergevin starts crying. Calls the GM back and says why didn't you talk to me more. :laugh:

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Exactly.

Environment and external factors play a role in how an athlete performs & behaves.

Kovalev is a great example. While he wasn't going to be winning a selke or leadership award, he was a great addition for us and Gainey (a guy who as a player was the polar opposite of the way Kovy wa perceived when we acquired him) saw past the narratives and bet on his competitiveness shinning through... Which it did.

Laine has had a rough few years both injury-wise and with the well documented challenging locker room environment Flanders & Wheeler presided over in the peg.
Columbus has been a mess since he got there (3 coaches in 4 seasons, plus the Babcock fiasco & management overhaul).

His career is at an inflection point, a change of scenery and a supportive environment with a coach/GM that prioritize open communication and embrace skill may well help him get back on track... The all-world skill hasn't gone anywhere, provided he can get his body & mind right
Funny how Flanders and Wheeler both found success when Laine left whereas Laine hasn’t at all improved the team he’s been on.

He’s not Kovalev. Kovalev had won a Cup and had proven to be a playoff warrior. He was a possession monster. Laine is a sniper that doesn’t do anything unless someone passes him the puck.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
If CLB ask for the WPG 1st and Logan Mailloux for Patrick Laine, who says no?
It really only depends on Laine health situation, but pretty sure I would roll the dice on Laine, might even be willing to add for retention. we have Barron, Kovacevic, Reinbacher and Mailloux I think one of them can go, as long as we are able to identify and keep the best 2 out of the 4…I rather give a guy like Harris or struble or Dvorak which might be clear that they are the odd man out.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

The thing is the teams that do it own the zone.
We were starting to see some of that briefly at one point when our top wave was owning the zone.
We were able to play longer shifts but we aren't consistent enough with our puck handling and decision making.
The GDT's were full of remarks about the breakdowns and what was causing them...

If Dach and Hutson slot in it should help.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It really only depends on Laine health situation, but pretty sure I would roll the dice on Laine, might even be willing to add for retention. we have Barron, Kovacevic, Reinbacher and Mailloux I think one of them can go, as long as we are able to identify and keep the best 2 out of the 4…I rather give a guy like Harris or struble or Dvorak which might be clear that they are the odd man out.

Any Laine trade needs salary in matching salary out (or close to it). I'm not against adding a B+ asset on top of Anderson (and Dvorak perhaps). Jackets do need help up the middle.

If the Jackets want 1st rounders or grade A prospects, try with another team.

Last edited:

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Exactly.

The difference is that Kovalev was essentially bored because he was too good at hockey (not even joking). Laine has mental health issues and risks being a cancer in the room. Kovalev wasn't the same

Deebs

Life is an illusion
Feb 5, 2014
Alex Kovalev is the biggest waste of talent in the history of hockey. He had two excellent years.

He will always live with the title..... "what could have been"

• Haha
Reactions: the

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
1st option

Make a play for Necas. 26th overall + Mesar + Barron. Sign Necas to an 8 year at 7.85 million.

If that didnt work out.....2nd option

Sign Stamkos to a maximum 4 year deal at no more than 8 million.

If the first two didn't work out.....3rd option

Sign Marchessault to a 3 year deal at 7 million.

2024/25 starting forwards.......

Necas/Stamkos/Marchy - Suzuki - Slaf
Caufield - Dach - Newhook/Roy
Roy/Newhook - Dvorak - Armia
Anderson - Evans - Gally

2025/26 starting forwards.......

Necas/Stamkos/Marchy - Suzuki - Slaf
Caufield - Dach - Demidov/Lindstrom/Iginla
Newhook - Beck/Kapanen/Evans - Roy
Anderson/Heinemen - Evans/Kapanen/Beck - Gally/Armia

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
For the long-term benefit of the team I don't think the time is right to be looking at a top 6 forward. Finding a RD to allow Guhle to move back to LD is, for the sake of his development. Don't need a top pairing guy, Just someone decent on a 2nd or 3rd pairing. Hopefully you can find a team ready to take Harris in the deal. Unlike others, I see no harm in Struble or WIFI starting the season in Laval and getting the minutes they won't have in Montreal on the 3rd pairing for their development.

Guhle Savard
Masterson new guy
Struble/WIFI. Barron
Kovecevic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad