HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Suzuki Slaf Dach Guhle didn’t go through the AHL lmao

Suzuki and Dach played in the AHL, jus not for Laval. Guhle played in the AHL as well.

And I’m not sure why you’re bringing up Slaf? I literally said “Other than Slaf who else on this team never went through the AHL?“.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Suzuki and Dach played in the AHL, jus not for Laval. Guhle played in the AHL as well.

And I’m not sure why you’re bringing up Slaf? I literally said “Other than Slaf who else on this team never went through the AHL?“.
Suzuki didn't play in the AHL. Dach played 3 games total. Caufield played 8 AHL games. Ghule 3 games.

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017

Ghule, Suzuki they did not play in the AHL, not that I remember

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
is McGroarty done college?
No clue what the situation is with him. From what I've read he wants to play a big role wherever he's playing, and Winnipeg can't guarantee that for him next season if he signs there. So he maybe he'll opt to return to college and try for a championship there. If he were moved to a rebuilding team then it'd be much easier to slot him into a consistent top 9 position, so perhaps he'd be willing to sign in that situation.

Reactions: sampollock

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Fans who wouldnt trade Matheson for the 10th OV. Are the same who wants to sign Perron/Stamkos and old folks. They dont understand competitive window and the point of a rebuild.
Matheson will be gone at best next year deadline lol. Idk why people are so high on him. He makes a point for 2 deadly turnovers he cost us.

Id ship him myself for a 10th oa. This guy has 0 future in Montreal either way. The only excuse i see is that we need veterans, then just sign a cheap ufa for a year.

I don't think Hutson needs to watch Matheson making 40 brutal turnovers a game and his famous lose the puck at the blueline.

People rather signs washed ufas and keep the 1-2 assets with a bit of value because of a dead season.

Make a splash trade or sell at the TDL , this team doesn't need any UFA this year except like i said extra body if we trade

We traded Matheson for Petry and Poehling. Run away if someone gives u a good first pick

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Fans who wouldnt trade Matheson for the 10th OV. Are the same who wants to sign Perron/Stamkos and old folks. They dont understand competitive window and the point of a rebuild.

It's the opposite - it's the fans who'll trade anything with a pulse who live in an alternate reality in which real players and the team don't actually matter and think it's reasonable business to whore everything out for a pick no matter what. It's not a realistic strategy. If you're going to trade Matheson, do it for an actual tangible player. His value should worth more than the 10th overall, which is a good pick, but it's far from a homerun pick.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
No clue what the situation is with him. From what I've read he wants to play a big role wherever he's playing, and Winnipeg can't guarantee that for him next season if he signs there. So he maybe he'll opt to return to college and try for a championship there. If he were moved to a rebuilding team then it'd be much easier to slot him into a consistent top 9 position, so perhaps he'd be willing to sign in that situation.
Takes a confident 20 years old kid to play hardball with an NHL team lmao. Just sign your ELC and pay your dues.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Suzuki didn't play in the AHL. Dach played 3 games total. Caufield played 8 AHL games. Ghule 3 games.

From what I can find for Suzuki, he apparently went to play one playoff game. Wether or not he actually played in that game I don’t know, I never followed the Wolves.

Either way my point remains the same. Dude ain’t no Bedard, not sure how he can demand a guarantee spot and I don’t think many teams outside of SJ/CHI can guarantee that. Just be a pro, sign your ELC, show up to training camp and earn your spot.

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
From what I can find for Suzuki, he apparently went to play one playoff game. Wether or not he actually played in that game I don’t know, I never followed the Wolves.

Either way my point remains the same. Dude ain’t no Bedard, not sure how he can demand a guarantee spot and I don’t think many teams outside of SJ/CHI can guarantee that. Just be a pro, sign your ELC, show up to training camp and earn your spot.

I think it's about the money. It's probably not all that advantageous for him to go from college to the AHL whereas getting access to NHL $ is extremely appealing.

It's a numbers game and it seems like the Jets are getting boned here but from the player's perspective, the logic checks out.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Well, at worst his game falls off a cliff (which happens to players in their 30s) and he's worth nothing.
Ben Chariot got the Habs a 1st and 4th...you must mean Matheson falling off a literal cliff and ceasing to exist.
The reason to not maximize his current value with the team is what it serves vs. what he can return. Because players like Matheson ARE available on the market, its core players like that in their early to mid 20s that aren't. And odds aren't good that who a team picks in the mid to late 20s vs. 10th range will be of the same quality (there's been a TON of research in that area).
No they're not...i'm not evetrying to be difficult or obtuse here, there are no 25+ min Dmen, with 60+ points and making less than 5M/yr that are on the market.

There just isn't...
Its not on the amateur scouting staff to judge the value of a pro player on my team. They're supposed to project what prospects can be in the NHL. Its on the pro scouting staff and coaching staff to give the information on internal pieces and its on upper management to parse the information and make a determination. You still have to trust your scouting staff.
yes you trust your scouting staff to do their jobs.

The amateur scouting staff job is to project the value of a player, and that is never a sure thing. This isn't even a debate unless you're talking about a Connor McDavid/Sidney Crosby/Alexander Ovechkin type of talent, and i'm sorry, but you're not drafting that at #10.

The pro scouting staff job is to properly gauge the value of players actually playing IN the NHL (I know you know this) and determining their value and if you look at the value of Dmen traded in the NHL in, well forever, their value is very well established and no Dman of the pedigree of Matheson is being traded for a lottery scratch ticket other than on message boards.

I'm not against Montreal keeping Matheson
(they need to replace his minutes at least partially if they trade him) or trade him for a young player instead, but its a no brainer fore a rebuilding team to move a player who doesn't fit your long term plans for age reasons for a pick/prospect/young NHLer who does. It just depends on the pick (and who is available there or the player/prospect.

Does it? The point is your getting less certainty/information for potential upside.
I'm not FOR Montreal keeping Matheson, I do think his value is highest right now (2 years at 4.8M, coming off a career year).

I'm just not for giving him away and crossing my fingers the player we pick 10th overall is more Miko Rantanen than Tyson Jost.

Nah, no way...i'm giving up tangible value, I need tangible return.

Fully agree here, i don't quite get all the trade Matheson now talk. Who is going to replace the point production and the ice time he eats up? The young guys also need some mentors on the team. I would at the very least keep him for this season.
For me, there's no one I wouldn't trade for the right trade...so I get the talk of moving Matheson, it's the poor returns i'm seeing being discussed that's shocking to me.

Habs fans seem to not like Matheson for whatever reason, but as I've said before, take away the name "Matheson" and just shop his profile, there's no reasonable fan who says i'm trading that for a mid 1st round pick.

Reactions: Yoor

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I wouldn't trade Matheson for the 10th overall and I have zero interest in signing either Perron or Stamkos in free agency.

So yeah.....

Reactions: Yoor

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
I think it's about the money. It's probably not all that advantageous for him to go from college to the AHL whereas getting access to NHL $ is extremely appealing.

Yeah I understand that. And if he was playing for a shit team like Chicago/SJ I get it. There’s no reason for them to say no.

But Winnipeg was the 4th best team in the league. They were firing on all cylinders for the last 25 games and were battling for home ice advantage till the end in a stacked Western conference.

When was he supposed to play? And over who? You play him in one of the last game in the season where you’re trying to secure home ice?

Or you play him in the playoffs and his first NHL game is a playoff game against the Avs? Kid ain’t ready for that. Skating is supposedly a big weakness of his, can’t throw him against guys like Mack, Makar, Rantanen, Nichushkin, Lehky etc.

Such high stake games against that Colorado team ain’t the time or the place to work on your weak skating.

If the Jets were out of the playoff race than I’m sure they would have gladly signed him and let him play a game or 2 like we did with Hutson to burn a year. You want to break into a contender you’re just gonna have to do it the proper way. Just my opinion, I have nothing against the kid.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad