HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Lottery scratch tickets are fun.

Thing is, we can almost for sure buy a Berkly Catton ticket with 5OA, and possibly win the lottery with it, without trading Matheson or any other part of our core.

If Romanov plus the 98th got us 13OA, then Xhekaj and the 26th should get us something like the 10th, and the 10th will get us an Iginla or similar good forward, in the tier after Celebrini, Demidov and Catton. Or a potential franchise defenceman might fall to 10th.
We’ll that’s just it, potential….they are not trading a 60+pt defenceman for a potential at 10th

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL

Thing is, we can almost for sure buy a Berkly Catton ticket with 5OA, and possibly win the lottery with it, without trading Matheson or any other part of our core.

If Romanov plus the 98th got us 13OA, then Xhekaj and the 26th should get us something like the 10th, and the 10th will get us an Iginla or similar good forward, in the tier after Celebrini, Demidov and Catton. Or a potential franchise defenceman might fall to 10th.

No touch the Sheriff please!

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
My pitch would be this for Leonard:
* Both Savard and Matheson (Matheson with 50% retention to make it even more attractive).
* Take back a cap dump no longer than 2 years (E Bear?)
* Add the Jets 1st and another piece if we have too.

Matheson / Carlson
Sandin / Savard
Alexeyev / Jenson or TVR

I am content with Suzuki, Dach and Beck/Kapanen coming (at center). Adding both Demidov and Leonard really does balance out our roster. We can look at drafting a center in the next draft.
I think 17 OA is a more realistic target.
If i'm the Caps, i go get Savard to babysit PLD again. Help him feel more comfortable and happy. Protect the investment.

They already have 4 RDs but 3 of them don't have NTCs and can be upgraded on.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

It's draft fever...we need to relax man lol.

IMO, Mike Matheson is our best trade chip (of players we actually willing/able to trade). I'm not selling him for cents on the dollar cause I got a draft crush.

Reactions: Paddy17 and jaffy27

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think 17 OA is a more realistic target.
If i'm the Caps, i go get Savard to babysit PLD again. Help him feel more comfortable and happy. Protect the investment.

They already have 4 RDs but 3 of them don't have NTCs and can be upgraded on.

I don't see 4 RD's. I see Carlson with a offensive minded Sandin who needs a physical stud to shelter him. Fehervary and Jenson are top 4D's to help them make the playoffs?

Matheson alone without retention is worth a pick better than 17th. Savard and Jets 1st is worth the 17th pick IMO.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
Hughes would never do this.

At 10th overall, it's not a sure thing...meanwhile, Matheson IS a sure thing in terms of what he brings right now and the value in his contract.

At 10th overall...you could end up with a Mikko Rantanen or a Tyson Jost...or an Evan Bouchard or Slater Koekkoek...or a Valeri Nichushkin or a Nick Ritchie,

There's not a guaranteed hit rate with a 10th overall, I think because we're so close to the draft people are horny for that 2nd prospect, but the odds of even making that trade, nevermind walking out of a single draft with 2 impact players in the 1st round are extremely low.

Exactly...he's at his peak, so not sure why so many would be willing to essentially trade him when Dmen traditionally/historically, get an excellent return, for what is essentially a lottery scratch ticket.
10th overall this year is a great prospect. This would be an easy yes from me, 100%. I wouldn't have said the same about last years draft though

Reactions: BoneHutson

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
10th overall this year is a great prospect. This would be an easy yes from me, 100%. I wouldn't have said the same about last years draft though
Emphasis on the word “prospect”.

I know he's not popular in this fanbase but find me another Dman who put up 60+ points, played 25+ mins and makes less than 5M/yr.

That list is a list of 2 players, Noah Dobson and Evan Bouchard and they're both RFAs.

I'm not selling him cents on the dollar for a prospect.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Emphasis on the word “prospect”.

I know he's not popular in this fanbase but find me another Dman who put up 60+ points, played 25+ mins and makes less than 5M/yr.

That list is a list of 2 players, Noah Dobson and Evan Bouchard and they're both RFAs.

I'm not selling him cents on the dollar for a prospect.
Posters have gone draft drunk lol

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
I don't see 4 RD's. I see Carlson with a offensive minded Sandin who needs a physical stud to shelter him. Fehervary and Jenson are top 4D's to help them make the playoffs?

Matheson alone without retention is worth a pick better than 17th. Savard and Jets 1st is worth the 17th pick IMO.
Carlson, Jensen, TVR and Bear. That's 4, right?

I'd do something around Savard and 26 for 17 and 52.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Carlson, Jensen, TVR and Bear. That's 4, right?

I'd do something around Savard and 26 for 17 and 52.

Jensen and TVR are fringe types IMO. Ideally, you want them on the 3rd pairing. E Bear is not a top 4D.

Sandin is in terms of the offense he creates but he needs someone like Savard (not Jensen). Sandin is more weak in his own zone than Matheson is.

Caps have depth on D but they lack the pieces in their top 4D to shelter their goalie and it holds them back.

I would use Savard and the Jets 1st to get a piece now but not sure the 17th pick is it. Rather keep the Jets 1st, and trade Savard for a late 1st at the deadline. And if Hutson makes the Habs, Savard is the perfect partner. Only interested in moving Savard if it gives us a shot at someone who slips in that top 13 or top 14. At 15+, I find it fades and not worth it then.

Big dreams yes but we set our price and see who wants to talk. If it doesn't gain momentum, sure, no problem.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I don't think I want Ehlers or Zegras. I don't think they play the type of game that we will want to play, especially in the playoffs. I can see us making a very hard push for Necas though, and it sounds like we're in those conversations now.

I wonder how things would work given the past relations we've had with Carolina with KK and Aho. Is an offer sheet out of the question?

On an offer sheet, we could offer an AAV in the range of 6.8M to 9.1M and only have to give up our 1st, 2nd and 3rd in 2025. We have two 1sts (ours, calgary's conditional one), two 2nds (ours, Pittsburghs), three 3rds (ours, NJ, Vancouver). If we end up out of the playoffs and in the 10-15 draft pick range, I think it seems like it's worth it given that we still have other picks available for next year in the same rounds. Of course, if we end up in the bottom 5 again though.... but would we if we have Necas and a healthy Dach? Unlikely.

A trade would probably be better.

Reactions: HomeAndHome
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad