HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
They don't - the only reason Montreal isn't shopping Matheson is they are aware they are most likely trading Savard this year and they don't want to throw the kids to the wolves. They value having veterans around the young team and the young defense.

Eventually when they feel that Guhle et al have enough NHL experience, that will become less important, but it's still gonna be a blueline with Guhle, Xhekaj, Hutson, Mailloux and Reinbacher in short order. There can't be no Savard AND no Matheson.
The plan is probably to move Savard at this year TDL and Matheson the following year.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
It would be hard to say no...

But only way it happens is if KH, MSL & co. believe in PLD the person. MSL & Torts are close, and I would venture that they'd probe that and several other informal networks to inform their assessment. No way they add him if the perceived reputation of his weak mindset & effort level holds up.
A buyout is more advantageous to Kings than this.

Reactions: kinghock

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
if Laine comes here, I get this is a tough market, but it is also a knowledgeable one. He won't be coming here to play on the 1st line, and expectations should be tempered. Our main players up front are Caufield, Suzuki and Slafkovsky. Laine can play on the second line. I think we would offer a good spot for him to get his game back.
In a world where Dach can stay healthy.. a second line of Newhook-Dach-Laine sounds pretty good to me 👀

Of course acquisition cost always needs to be evaluated, but I could be on board with bringing him in. 2 years on his contract where we aren't expected to contend, gamble I'd consider for sure.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Matheson has more value to the Habs than in a trade. Most other GMs know his point totals are inflated from his minutes played and his time on the PP, therefore won't pay a premium for his production the last two years. If a contending team wants him, it is likely to play on their second D pair and second PP unit and odds are they'd probably be offering a late first rounder which doesn't move the needle on our rebuild.
Yet GMs, CONSISTENTLY and HISTORICALLY, pay out of their ass for inferior and much less productive DMen at the trade deadline, every year.

If the Habs can manage to get a 1st + 4th + C level prospect from the Panthers for Ben Chiarot or if the Flames can manage to get a 2nd round pick + conditional 3rd + B level prospect, for CHris Tanev...

I'm pretty sure the Habs could do much more than just a late 1st rounder for a guy who helps a contender not only for the year they acquire him, but also for the next season at a very affordable cost in salary.
With a young team, especially on D, having a quality leader like Matheson around our young guys is huge, especially with his ability to eat a lot of ice time so the young guys don't get overwhelmed. With the draft capital spent on our young D, having solid vets like Matheson/Savard along with a D coach in Robidas who had a very solid NHL career is huge for helping these kids reach their potential.
Yeah, i'm not advocating just getting rid of him like many have...he's not a throw-in for me.

But it's not like I wouldn't listen to offers and it's precisely because of how valuable I think he is, that I would.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Laine is low risk high reward. Not sure why we wouldnt do it. His contract expires this year, can be moved at deadline, etc. And maybe he puts up numbers under players coach.
This team could use 1-2 more elite shooters. Can just imagine what a PP that features Hutson, if he continues to emerge, and forwards like Suzuki, Caufield, and Laine could do, especially if someone like Dach gains the zone, screens and sets up these shooters as well.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
You know who I could a deal working with... The Wild.
- Guerin is a GM whom I could see overestimating what Anderson brings
- Wild have 6M$ in cap space, with no big RFA's or UFAs to re-sign + 19 players on the books
- they get 14M$ in cap space back next summer (Parise/Suter buy outs done)

To Wild
Anderson, Strubble

To Mtl
Johansson, '26 Avs 3rd

Swap similarly (un)productive bottom 6 wingers. Anderson is younger & bigger, Johansson a better hockey player but fewer miles left in the tank. Wild take on 3M$ now & two extra years (gambling on Anderson fitting better in their approach), and get Strubble as a sweetener.

Habs free up the future cap space, and add some draft capital down the road... short term we get a vet who better fits the style of play MSL is preaching.
Feel like Struble is a pretty big sweetener, that is a NHL player on a ELC that won’t be due for a big raise… I don’t see Anderson value going lower and I don’t see the urgency of making cap space right now I would wait and with better play maybe you get someone at the TDL or maybe with only 2 years left maybe it is cheaper to move him.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
For those of you who are board and want the day to go by quicker... Here is the latest Dubois trade bump. It's been lacking over the last little while. :laugh:

Gallagher and Anderson for Dubois. This gets me talking but I want retention on Dubois. Not interested in bringing him to the Habs where his AAV is higher than Suzuki. Lower that down to $7M or $7.5M and we got a deal (for me).

* Gallagher (3 years at $6.5M)
* Anderson (3 years at $5.5M)
for
* Dubois (7 years at $8.5M)

If the Kings are willing to retain down to $7M for Dubois, I would be ok retaining 50% on Anderson for 3 years. Makes the salary closer in those first 3 years (for both the Kings and Habs)

This deal has a chance to be good for both teams.
* Gallagher back with Danault
* Anderson on a new team with new energy.
* Dubois finally comes home after the Jets and Kings interfered. Slides into our top 6 and does not have to be a full time center. Plays with good talent and is MSL has him motivated.

This unblocks the Habs bottom 6 depth problem and adds a top 6F MSL can use who is still young. Place Dubois with one of Dach or Suzuki and have him as a power forward winger. Center insurance if one of Suzki or Dach get injured.

We basically save $2.25M in cap space for the next 3 years in this deal. The last 4 years with Dubois are with a much higher cap.
Getting rid for Gallagher and Anderson but those extra 4years of PLD could be even worst, also our bottom 6 is awful and we have very little prospect suited for these role.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
So he's a dump now...

If he can't handle CBJ and injuries, he really won't handle MTL. Way more pressure and not much luck with players staying healthy.
I don't think it's CBJ he can't handle. A lot of bad things (injuries, his father's death etc..) have happened while he was there. Getting a chance to step away is IMO the best for Laine.

I know it's a risk. But Laine has way too much talent to not be interested in adding him. He's also a great fit age wise, if he rebounds and becomes close to the player he was before.

If management does their research, and the cost is reasonable. Personally I think adding Laine is a no brainer.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I’d think they want D and depth scoring, if he indicates he’s not re-signing the cost might not be as insane as one would think especially with his NMC
That's a best case scenario and even then, you'd still have to beat out 15+ other teams offers, and that IF he'd even want to come to Montreal.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
In a trade, they could ask for pretty much anything they want. I'd have maybe a three men no trade list ( probably Suzuki, Caufield and Slaf) , after that it all would be fair game, including picks and prospects.
I have a Caufield jersey but it's hard to put him on a no-trade-list considering he is a shrimp and is not good defensively. He's electric, I love his shot, etc. but he's not an asset you cannot move for the right return, especially considering he is so small you have to make up for his frailty with the rest of your top6. Drai is easily 3x the NHL player Caufield is today.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
They don't - the only reason Montreal isn't shopping Matheson is they are aware they are most likely trading Savard this year and they don't want to throw the kids to the wolves. They value having veterans around the young team and the young defense.

Eventually when they feel that Guhle et al have enough NHL experience, that will become less important, but it's still gonna be a blueline with Guhle, Xhekaj, Hutson, Mailloux and Reinbacher in short order. There can't be no Savard AND no Matheson.
Indeed there is no way we could trade Matheson unless we found a veritable top RD for a couple of seasons minimum.

SlyIslands

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Yet GMs, CONSISTENTLY and HISTORICALLY, pay out of their ass for inferior and much less productive DMen at the trade deadline, every year.

If the Habs can manage to get a 1st + 4th + C level prospect from the Panthers for Ben Chiarot or if the Flames can manage to get a 2nd round pick + conditional 3rd + B level prospect, for CHris Tanev...

I'm pretty sure the Habs could do much more than just a late 1st rounder for a guy who helps a contender not only for the year they acquire him, but also for the next season at a very affordable cost in salary.

Yeah, i'm not advocating just getting rid of him like many have...he's not a throw-in for me.

But it's not like I wouldn't listen to offers and it's precisely because of how valuable I think he is, that I would.
You should base your value on the same type of d-men. Tanev, Zadorov, Chiarot, McCabe. These are defensive players that are more likely to be traded for at the deadline. I expect Savard to be valued equal or higher then Matheson

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I have a Caufield jersey but it's hard to put him on a no-trade-list considering he is a shrimp and is not good defensively. He's electric, I love his shot, etc. but he's not an asset you cannot move for the right return, especially considering he is so small you have to make up for his frailty with the rest of your top6. Drai is easily 3x the NHL player Caufield is today.
You want a supporting cast though, I'd really want to keep the nucleus of a top 6 to build around him. But if it's Caufield or there's no trade, then you have to really think about it obviously.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Everyone ignores the bottom 6, especially the 4th line. These are the guys who get you through the playoffs. Forget about signing big names and probably trading for top 6. It’s probably not happening. They need to build a solid bottom 6. That’s what they should shore up. That takes a lot of pressure off of the top 6. No one is afraid of Evans or Dvorak or Pezzetta (even though I like Evan’s and Pezz)

Reactions: Deebs

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
I wonder if there's any scenario where we could make a massive blockbuster trade with Columbus where they get something along the lines of 5th overall+Dvorak and we get back Kent Johnson and Laine.

I could see both Johnson and Laine being pieces that would intrigue Hughes and Columbus would grab 5th meaning they could potentially secure Demidov/Lindstrom and one of the top defensemen of the draft.

We know Hughes wants to accelerate the rebuild, and getting 2 proven NHLers at the expense of a pick that's probably 3+ years away from making an impact would help to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad