HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I do not think CBJ wants to take Anderson. They would prefer Dvorak/Evans, vet C with 1y left.
Three more years at five and a half. You’re right, it’s wishful thinking for us to think someone will take him at this stage. He’d have to have a nice bounce back season for that to happen.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Unless Hugo has intel that Laine is permanently damaged goods, I'd add Winnipeg's 1st and one of Harris/Barron for Laine without thinking twice.
Laine dogs it though from time to time. Fans would turn against him hard here. Start good...end up bad

Would you trade the Habs 2025 1st (unprotected) and the WPG 1st to the sens/kraken for the 7th/8th OA pick this year?
No, That's quite a gamble.

Who is it that you want at 8 to take chance like that?

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Here's a good three team trade proposal since the devils have stated open interest in trading the 10th OA pick:

NJD - Matheson, Armia, WPG 2024 1st (2024)

SEA - 10th OA (2024), 2nd COL (2024)

MTL - 8th OA pick (2024)

Would you trade the Habs 2025 1st (unprotected) and the WPG 1st to the sens/kraken for the 7th/8th OA pick this year?
giphy.gif

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I don't understand why people are so scared of trading Matheson lol , do you expect the team to have Matheson on it when we are contending?

What's so bad about a rebuilding team going in with holes in the roster , I don't see the big deal , I guess we are trying to compete next year so Hughes won't flip him
It has nothing to do with being scared but rather fear of the meagre return that some are prepared to trade this pivotal player for and the difficulty that the team will face in replacing the mobility, huge on ice minutes, skill, durability and leadership that Matheson now provides.

As I have said, there are two types of NHL teams in the NHL: those that have a wheel horse type of defenceman like Matheson and those who are searching for one. Ask the Oiler fans if they wished they had a defenceman or two who had the mobility and skill to escape the Panthers’ oppressive and suffocating forecheck.

Trade Matheson and we join those teams who are seeking that elusive mobility on the back end needed to compete and win in the NHL today.

Fortunately, it would appear that Hughes and MSL (at least so far) share my opinion.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It has nothing to do with being scared but rather fear of the meagre return that some are prepared to trade this pivotal player for and the difficulty that the team will face in replacing the mobility, huge on ice minutes, skill, durability and leadership that Matheson now provides.

As I have said, there are two types of NHL teams in the NHL: those that have a wheel horse type of defenceman like Matheson and those who are searching for one. Ask the Oiler fans if they wished they had a defenceman or two who had the mobility and skill to escape the Panthers’ oppressive and suffocating forecheck.

Trade Matheson and we join those teams who are seeking that elusive mobility on the back end needed to compete and win in the NHL today.

Fortunately, it would appear that Hughes and MSL (at least so far) share my opinion.
100% this.

I've seen him tossed around as a throw-in, for trades.

Shocking to me.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada

Do you realize that there is a pivotal quality you left out an important quality that defenseman are supposed to provide: defensive play?

Matheson would definitely be able to escape the suffocating forecheck of the Panthers..... only for him to make 1 or 2 moves too many, lose it as the last man back, and have the puck end up in his net, like he does on the Habs.

I'm truly convinced sometimes that people who LOVE Matheson's game just choose not to register his mistakes.

He's an offensive D who makes what he makes for a reason. He's absolutely expendable and not a core piece for us, certainly NOT untouchable.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
100% this.

I've seen him tossed around as a throw-in, for trades.

Shocking to me.
Fear not. Its not happening. Watching Bouchard being exploited in the finals will open most eyes.

No player is immune from being traded. The recognition of Matheson’s value has never been higher whether in his contribution to his own team or on the open market.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Do you realize that there is a pivotal quality you left out an important quality that defenseman are supposed to provide: defensive play?

Matheson would definitely be able to escape the suffocating forecheck of the Panthers..... only for him to make 1 or 2 moves too many, lose it as the last man back, and have the puck end up in his net, like he does on the Habs.

I'm truly convinced sometimes that people who LOVE Matheson's game just choose not to register his mistakes.

He's an offensive D who makes what he makes for a reason. He's absolutely expendable and not a core piece for us, certainly NOT untouchable.
Definitely NOT untouchable, but also not someone they should just discard the way I've been seeing in proposals.

The Montreal Canadiens somehow managed to get a 1st, 4th and a C level prospect for Ben Chiarot.

Matheson may not be a Norris trophy level Dman, but to act like he's got negative value, especially when you consider his salary/production, is wild.

Why am I seeing Matheson + + just to acquire a 10th overall pick in this upcoming draft?

Madness bruv

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002

I have yet to see a mistake free player. Perhaps his mistakes are more frequent because he’s on the ice more than most other players in the league and the quality of players he is currently surrounded by: youthful, inexperienced defencemen and multiple fringe NHL forwards. It’s rather remarkable in this writer’s opinion that this much maligned defenceman was able to score 60+ points this season.

Last edited:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Rank these reclamation projects in order of preference on cheap short term deals:
Duclair
Arvidsson
Mantha
Perron
Kane

Rank these bottom six targets in terms of preference:
Blueger
Carrier
Trenin
Martinook
Foegele
Lafferty
Duhaime
Stenlund
Blais

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Definitely NOT untouchable, but also not someone they should just discard the way I've been seeing in proposals.

The Montreal Canadiens somehow managed to get a 1st, 4th and a C level prospect for Ben Chiarot.

Matheson may not be a Norris trophy level Dman, but to act like he's got negative value, especially when you consider his salary/production, is wild.

Why am I seeing Matheson + + just to acquire a 10th overall pick in this upcoming draft?

Madness bruv
The whole Matheson for 10th pick should be a non starter, the Devils need is physical and gritty LDs, Matheson will not be of interest for them, maybe another team needing LD PP players

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The whole Matheson for 10th pick should be a non starter, the Devils need is physical and gritty LDs, Matheson will not be of interest for them, maybe another team needing LD PP players
yeah I think this is one of those where the value isn't worth it to either team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Canes would be a good team for Matheson. They got a lot of work to do on their D core.

Matheson+ for Necas. As long as Necas plays nice in contract talks. 6x $6.5M. Because Necas is a RFA, you can find that out now if you were Hughes. If they talk $8M AAV, quickly end the conversation.

What would be the +?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Rank these reclamation projects in order of preference on cheap short term deals:
Duclair
Arvidsson
Mantha
Perron
Kane

Rank these bottom six targets in terms of preference:
Blueger
Carrier
Trenin
Martinook
Foegele
Lafferty
Duhaime
Stenlund
Blais
Duclair - great speed, but he might be looking for a long-term decent money around 4 x 4 possibly. Not sure there's much of a fit. Personally, would prefer the Habs trade for Joseph

Perron- small, but still good and likely to take a 1 year deal. Maybe the Habs give him 2.

Arvidsson - another small player, but he's good, but he's small.

Mantha - probably wants to get paid, but he doesn't care. 1 year 1 mill, show it, sure.

Kane - can't imagine he'd come here, so he's last.

Bottom 6ers

Trenin - checks so many boxes. Great pker, physical, size, can fight and he's Russian, so he adds even more to the team in that he can help future Russian prospects come over. My number 1 fa target for the Habs.

Duhaime- almost the same as Trenin, should be cheaper.

William Carrier - local kid, physical, bit of a pest. Kind of what the Habs need on the 4th line.

Kevin Stenlund - big, physical and good on the draw. Could be a solid 4th liner.

Lafferty - physical, but had a solid year in Vancouver and could be looking for more money than he's worth.

Blueger - good bottom 6er, PKer if the Habs didn't have Armia maybe.

Foegele - somewhat intriguing, but not something the Habs unique, or needed.

Samuel Blais - he's f***ing cooked

Martinook - I imagine he re-signs, but he's going to want to get paid.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Canes would be a good team for Matheson. They got a lot of work to do on their D core.

Matheson+ for Necas. As long as Necas plays nice in contract talks. 6x $6.5M. Because Necas is a RFA, you can find that out now if you were Hughes. If they talk $8M AAV, quickly end the conversation.

What would be the +?
I wouldn't offer more than a late pick as a +.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Three more years at five and a half. You’re right, it’s wishful thinking for us to think someone will take him at this stage. He’d have to have a nice bounce back season for that to happen.

You know who I could a deal working with... The Wild.
- Guerin is a GM whom I could see overestimating what Anderson brings
- Wild have 6M$ in cap space, with no big RFA's or UFAs to re-sign + 19 players on the books
- they get 14M$ in cap space back next summer (Parise/Suter buy outs done)

To Wild
Anderson, Strubble

To Mtl
Johansson, '26 Avs 3rd

Swap similarly (un)productive bottom 6 wingers. Anderson is younger & bigger, Johansson a better hockey player but fewer miles left in the tank. Wild take on 3M$ now & two extra years (gambling on Anderson fitting better in their approach), and get Strubble as a sweetener.

Habs free up the future cap space, and add some draft capital down the road... short term we get a vet who better fits the style of play MSL is preaching.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
For those of you who are board and want the day to go by quicker... Here is the latest Dubois trade bump. It's been lacking over the last little while. :laugh:

Gallagher and Anderson for Dubois. This gets me talking but I want retention on Dubois. Not interested in bringing him to the Habs where his AAV is higher than Suzuki. Lower that down to $7M or $7.5M and we got a deal (for me).

* Gallagher (3 years at $6.5M)
* Anderson (3 years at $5.5M)
for
* Dubois (7 years at $8.5M)

If the Kings are willing to retain down to $7M for Dubois, I would be ok retaining 50% on Anderson for 3 years. Makes the salary closer in those first 3 years (for both the Kings and Habs)

This deal has a chance to be good for both teams.
* Gallagher back with Danault
* Anderson on a new team with new energy.
* Dubois finally comes home after the Jets and Kings interfered. Slides into our top 6 and does not have to be a full time center. Plays with good talent and is MSL has him motivated.

This unblocks the Habs bottom 6 depth problem and adds a top 6F MSL can use who is still young. Place Dubois with one of Dach or Suzuki and have him as a power forward winger. Center insurance if one of Suzki or Dach get injured.

We basically save $2.25M in cap space for the next 3 years in this deal. The last 4 years with Dubois are with a much higher cap.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wouldn't offer more than a late pick as a +.

I would agree on that. However, I just put Matheson and 26th for Necas on the main boards because yeah, you got to over value to spark good conversations. We will see what storm that causes.

Necas's next contract does scare me though. If Hughes is really in on him, I'm sure he already knows his contract demands. If he wants to be paid like Suzuki, I pass.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I would agree on that. However, I just put Matheson and 26th for Necas on the main boards because yeah, you got to over value to spark good conversations. We will see what storm that causes.

Necas's next contract does scare me though. If Hughes is really in on him, I'm sure he already knows his contract demands. If he wants to be paid like Suzuki, I pass.
Our own fanbase doesn't even value Matheson, I can only imagine what non-Habs fans think.

I still think that if you remove the name (Mike Matheson) and team (Montreal Canadiens) and just shop his profile (25Mins +, 60+ point, 4.8M for 2 years), there would be a ton of interest and teams would be lining up for that.

In the real world, I don't think GMs have the kind of bias against Matheson as many fans seem to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad