HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I feel like Necas is a much more realistic target over Zegras.

With Carolina they have Guentzal, Teravainen, Pesce and Skjei all upcoming UFAs. A trade with them would be more for futures as they need the cap space to re sign those four players.

I’m not sure what futures would be ideal for either team to agree on. I am wondering if draft picks would be the best bet for Carolina. They are a potential Cup contender and first and second round picks are the best trade chips come the trade deadline. I would just keep Montreals first rounder this and next year.
Doubtful Carolina keeps Guenztel and Necas , not much to do for them. I also expect them to buy out Kotkaniemi

Reactions: Runner77

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
But WTK keeps guaranteeing HuGo have no interest. What gives?

It's pretty obvious they do and would... The fit & familiarity with the person alone makes it a no brainer. That there's a possibility the Ducks are willing to move on just cements it.

Wether or not a deal can get figured out, and wether or not KH is willing to make an offer that tops the best one Verbeek can find, those are legit questions.

Don't think I'd want to "win" a bidding war, but if the pieces we put out there are appealing to PV, I suspect a deal will get done.

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
Hard pass on Zegras. We don’t need a perimeter player. Necas I’m up in The air about. He’s terrible defensively which won’t improve here. Sucks at Faceoffs as well. Does seem to have offensive potential though.

Reactions: Habs and mdk

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hard pass on Zegras. We don’t need a perimeter player. Necas I’m up in The air about. He’s terrible defensively which won’t improve here. Sucks at Faceoffs as well. Does seem to have offensive potential though.

We will probably trade one of our current top 4 LD's on the depth chart at some point: Guhle, Hutson, Xhekaj, Matheson.

It seems like it will be Matheson. Teams may ask for Xhekaj for available assets like Zegras, Necas, and the Devils's 10th overall pick.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Do we have the assets to get the 10th pick from Jersey, and should we? 5, 10 and the Peg's pick could fill a lot of holes. Move a D, draft a D... etc etc

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Do we have the assets to get the 10th pick from Jersey, and should we? 5, 10 and the Peg's pick could fill a lot of holes. Move a D, draft a D... etc etc
There was a fake rumor saying the Habs were offering 26 and matheson for 10. If you look at the comment section, there are a lot of Devils fans saying they would want Xhekaj for the 10th overall. With Guhle, Hutson and Xhekaj, plus Matheson, Engstrom, and Struble on the left side, we definitely have the assetts to get the 10th overall. The question is, do we want to give up the assets that other teams want.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
I really really like Xhekaj

That being said, I would do Xhekaj+26+ for #10 on draft night depending on who’s available in that moment.

I’d do it for one the following players if they’re still available at 10:

- Catton
- Dickinson
- Buium

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
There was a fake rumor saying the Habs were offering 26 and matheson for 10. If you look at the comment section, there are a lot of Devils fans saying they would want Xhekaj for the 10th overall. With Guhle, Hutson and Xhekaj, plus Matheson, Engstrom, and Struble on the left side, we definitely have the assetts to get the 10th overall. The question is, do we want to give up the assets that other teams want.

Sure could fill some gaps, could get interesting. It depends who falls to us at 5 I guess and if say Iginla/Catton were still there at 10 ... this is going to be a crazy year so much talent in the top 10

Reactions: 26Mats and Runner77

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
On Habs Lunch yesterday they said two teams contacted Carolina about Necas. Canes said they trying to sign him first. Flyers offered package around Farabee. Canes turned it down. Other team was Calgary

Reactions: 26Mats

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Rod Brind'amour plays a structured system which seems to have stifled Necas. MSL plays a loose open system within which Anderson has struggled. Carolina needs cap space and to keep competing. Montreal needs more talent and to start competing... See where I'm going with this?

Anderson (retained to 2.75m) + [X] + [Y] + [Z] for Kotkaniemi (4.5m) & Necas (RFA)

Anderson is a low risk physical player for them and arguably worth 2.75/3yrs if he was a UFA. CAR gets rid of Kotkaniemi's dumb cap-hit so between that swap, that's good value for them.

And they make [X] etc. for an unsigned Necas. I'm not sure what X, Y, and Z could be, maybe someone can propose something suitable for CAR. They don't want/need a goalie. Not sure waht they want. The 26OA and/or CGY 1st + Savard maybe? Beck, or any prospect not named Hutson/Reinbacher? I have no idea!

The Habs can hold onto mega-bust Kotkaniemi as a physical bottom6 player and use a buy-out on him in the following summer for a miniscule cap penalty of under 1m. If Kotkaniemi plays like he did early last season, it would be a rather low-risk, high-reward play right out of the bargain bin. If he doesn't, it would be the price to pay to get rid of Anderson and acquire Necas.

Necas isn't a superstar but he's the exact kind of deluxe secondary line talent who a team should bet on if the numbers/assets work.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Rod Brind'amour plays a structured system which seems to have stifled Necas. MSL plays a loose open system within which Anderson has struggled. Carolina needs cap space and to keep competing. Montreal needs more talent and to start competing... See where I'm going with this?

Anderson (retained to 2.75m) + [X] + [Y] + [Z] for Kotkaniemi (4.5m) & Necas (RFA)

Anderson is a low risk physical player for them and arguably worth 2.75/3yrs if he was a UFA. CAR gets rid of Kotkaniemi's dumb cap-hit so between that swap, that's good value for them.

And they make [X] etc. for an unsigned Necas. I'm not sure what X, Y, and Z could be, maybe someone can propose something suitable for CAR. They don't want/need a goalie. Not sure waht they want. The 26OA and/or CGY 1st + Savard maybe? Beck, or any prospect not named Hutson/Reinbacher? I have no idea!

The Habs can hold onto mega-bust Kotkaniemi as a physical bottom6 player and use a buy-out on him in the following summer for a miniscule cap penalty of under 1m. If Kotkaniemi plays like he did early last season, it would be a rather low-risk, high-reward play right out of the bargain bin. If he doesn't, it would be the price to pay to get rid of Anderson and acquire Necas.

Necas isn't a superstar but he's the exact kind of deluxe secondary line talent who a team should bet on if the numbers/assets work.
Canes fans don't think they'd use Necas to dump KK and that's fine, but that's a horrendous trade. I'd take Anderson at a higher cap hit for 3 more years in the hopes that he bounces back, or at least be somewhat physical I'd take that.

There's a few teams that are actually interested in KK, but for me, if you're sending KK you're send Necas, too and you're getting a 7th in return.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Canes fans don't think they'd use Necas to dump KK and that's fine, but that's a horrendous trade. I'd take Anderson at a higher cap hit for 3 more years in the hopes that he bounces back, or at least be somewhat physical I'd take that.

There's a few teams that are actually interested in KK, but for me, if you're sending KK you're send Necas, too and you're getting a 7th in return.
Anderson isn’t sufficiently physical for us, because he’s not on top of the play.

I don’t think Kotkaniemi is any less value than Anderson. Anderson is terrrrrrrible and injury prone both. Kotkaniemi’s buyout is the value in him (lol!), he’s basically a non-asset.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
I really really like Xhekaj

That being said, I would do Xhekaj+26+ for #10 on draft night depending on who’s available in that moment.

I’d do it for one the following players if they’re still available at 10:

- Catton
- Dickinson
- Buium
I'd be very tempted to take Catton at 5 so that deal would be a no brainer for me.

Reactions: 26Mats

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Anderson isn’t sufficiently physical for us, because he’s not on top of the play.

I don’t think Kotkaniemi is any less value than Anderson. Anderson is terrrrrrrible and injury prone both. Kotkaniemi’s buyout is the value in him (lol!), he’s basically a non-asset.
I said if he gets back to it.

If you want just under a 900k cap hit for 12 years i think it is sure. Id rather bite the bullet, deal with Anderson for 3 more and then be free.
I’ve heard Hughes had inquired about both but doubt we’re getting either so to say he’s close to getting both players seems like a helluva long shot.

That's bs and don't post that anymore.

Reactions: SwiftyHab

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
But WTK keeps guaranteeing HuGo have no interest. What gives?
LeBrun is speculating ("I believe" instead of "I heard") and then goes on saying "I’m not convinced that’s a path the Habs will ultimately pursue aggressively."

Doesn't look to me that the Habs have any interest if they aren't pursuing it aggressively.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
He had a solid cup run, so some GM may like him more then they should, but the fact is that Beck as the potential of being a little better then Evan, so a 3rd or 4th C. So this tracks to be the equivalent of a late 1st (20+OV), early 2nd.
Since I made the statement maybe I should answer for myself. I see Beck as a Danault with a slightly better offensive game. What would you pay for a Danault at 20 years old? Mid 1st round? Danault is an excellent 3rd line center and Beck will be just as good if not slightly better.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
If you want just under a 900k cap hit for 12 years i think it is sure. Id rather bite the bullet, deal with Anderson for 3 more and then be free.
squandering Suzuki and Caufield and Slafkovsky's prime to bitterly carry Anderson's cap hit is worse. I wouldn't do Andy for Kotkaniemi unless Necas was involved in it. We need a talent injection or two.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Late 1st pick (20-32 range)

He had a good but not great season for a 19 yrs old player and doesn’t really have an elite attribute what you want in a top 15 pick. With a top 15 pick you want someone who will play in your top 6 for a forward or a #2/3 center, Beck is more seen as a bottom 6 centre.
You were shocked with my statement but we're not that far away from each other with our assessment. You say 20-32 range. I said he is ALMOST worth 11-15 on his own. Also, your statement that he had a good but not great season reveals your bias. You probably thought he would be a superstar scoring machine before this year. He scored 81 points in 57 games. Considering he was traded mid-season and had to adjust to a new system and new linemates and a new role, I would say it was a great season. And I love how you guys dismiss his playoff performance. But aren't we looking for playoff performers? 14 points in 17 playoff games is great in my books.
No. Beck alone is almost worth the 11-15 pick.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
But with all the trade rumors involving players like this, doesn't that erode the Canes or Ducks bargaining position, if the players themselves feel they have a foot out the door? Doesn't that fester and degrade the relationship over the course of the summer?
Depends on the case. If the team in question wants the player out then yeah, absolutely. I wouldn't be shocked if Zegras/The Ducks don't have a great relationship just based on everything that's happened with his last contract and now the trade rumors.

Now, all it takes to fix that is Verbeek or someone internal to pull him aside or call him and reassure him that all of the rumors are BS and not to buy into it (which could have been done, we don't know).

In Necas's case, the player believes they're better than what their usage is or what they're currently being paid. It's not really eroding because other teams may view him like that too. Hell, the Hurricanes probably agree as well, but can't afford to give him the raise he wants with their current team structure. That's why he's in rumors in the first place, because it's either he's a rental this year and they lose him for nothing or they try to get assets back.

Neither of these teams HAVE to trade these players so their bargaining positions are both sound.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Xhekaj and a prospect for #10
I think getting the 10th pick will be much more costly than that. If NJ feels that 10th overall is too costly for the goalie they want to acquire, but have interest in Xhekaj they might look at something like

Xhekaj and Matheson and 26
For 10 and a 3rd in a future draft

Then flip Matheson and 26th either for a goalie like Markstrom or to move for a higher pick to deal for the goalie they want.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
squandering Suzuki and Caufield and Slafkovsky's prime to bitterly carry Anderson's cap hit is worse. I wouldn't do Andy for Kotkaniemi unless Necas was involved in it. We need a talent injection or two.
Agreed, but you're taking a longer contract to either hold the team down for 7 years, or 14. Carrying a cap hit, even that small for 14 years is a bit excessive.

Habs would also lose their last retention spot, once it opens up again July 1st I believe and it sounds like if Necas is dealt, it's before that time period, so a deal with a retained Anderson is unlikely

Reactions: waitin425
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad