HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
correct but that doesn't account for the likely several years of cheap contract we would have said pick for vs the big money PLD is going to get.
I never said PLD couldn't be part of the rebuild, I just said I'm not giving up a 1st round pick to acquire him. If that's the cost then don't do it imo.

We just gave up the 13th overall pick + 3rd round pick for Kirby Dach.....think about that for a second.
You should be a whole lot more concerned about that then trading what will most likely be a pick in the low 20's for PLD.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Pastrnak signed for a percentage of the cap that was in line for the Leafs comparables, he exploded afterwards. Rantanen took a discount relative to Marner, but not that much of one. Fox has been trying to force his way to the Rangers since he got drafted, of course he took a slight discount. Vasilevsky signed the largest RFA goalie contract in NHL history. McAvoy took a bridge and then became one of the highest paid D in the NHL post-covid. Heiskanen's contract is also post covid and its not that great.

75% of UFAs are overpaid.
And that percentage climbs to 99% for the UFA's signed on the first day.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
correct but that doesn't account for the likely several years of cheap contract we would have said pick for vs the big money PLD is going to get.
I never said PLD couldn't be part of the rebuild, I just said I'm not giving up a 1st round pick to acquire him. If that's the cost then don't do it imo.

Yes, those years of entry level (ex: Byram) , or contract before the player gets to the next level (ex MacKonnon) are often very useful.

So there is a tradeoff: getting a player certain to be good at the NHL vs. Losing out on the cheap years of the contract.

Reactions: montreal

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
between 1st OA and 32 OA.
Montreal laughing at his own joke. Nhl announces a rushed 33rd team.

montreal

ice-cube-oshea-jackson.gif

• Haha
Reactions: habsfan891

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
IMO the Leafs pushed their chips in with the Tavares signing, and it was a very good move if they won in those first few years. But the back half of that contract was always questionable, and it in fact seems very bad now. Add to that, the Tavares signing never seemed to sit well with Matthews and seemed to create a weirder negotiation culture in Toronto for those forwards.

I still think Toronto could go on a tear for one of these playoffs, and I think Dubas is a smart GM and I've stopped disliking him so much since he got rid of his way too hip glasses. So I actually wouldn't mind if the Leafs make a successful run before their team disintegrates. But the Leafs are not my least favorite team. Right now I think that would be the Hurricanes, followed probably by the Lightning...
Mr Peabody failed

Reactions: Runner77

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Next year we should have some caproom. The 2023 UFA class is impressive. Huberdeau, MacKinnon, Horvat, Miller, Larkin, Pastrnak, ROR, Toews, Dumba to name a few.
Out of those who do you expect to make it to FA? And more importantly at what cost? Not sure I want to spend 10+ on anyone in the near future. Would rather build with a few 7-8 mil contracts.

Hubs - resigns
MacK - resigns
Horvat - could see him hitting the market....I'd bet Detroit. Close to his home.
Miller - NYR
Larkin - resigns
Pastrnak - resigns
ROR - resigns
Toews - Hmmmm......Hometown in Winnipeg or chase a cup in say....Nashville.....idk
Dumba - resigns

So lets say Toews, Miller and Horvat hit the market. Not as sexy.

Reactions: Vachon23

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
If Huberdeau makes it, I'd bet on him.

Though, that contract might euchre the Habs like Tavares did to the Leafs, minus the actual good regular season team
Hopefully Hugo can manage the cap well for star players like the bruins did with bergeron/marchand/etc.

Everyone takes a little discount to join in on the party that this habs organization is becoming.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I would only include the lower of the 2023 first round picks if no other higher value asset were included AND one of the long-term contracts (Armia, Hoffman, Savard) were taken back. Neither Dach nor Dvorak is going to play on the fourth line though, so either PLD is moved to wing or Dvorak or Dach are traded elsewhere for a first rounder at least.

It just works better if we don't send a 1st rounder and send one of our centers instead with some other decent but non-critical assets.
That would be nice but I would venture that they’ll at least want a player, pick and prospect — something I imagine they could get from another suitor in a competitive window.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
But Romanov and Poehling are now gone. :sarcasm: My initial impression at the draft was KD was a back up plan. It really did feel like a plan gone wrong. People who say Hughes was talking to Chicago all along need to understand the concept of drafting a winger #1 while the more pressing needs were for a C and or a D. Meanwhile having to executing a three way deal. Once you pull that trigger you are walking a tight rope and with all the smoke surrounding PLD one has to think that was our plan A and would have sent everyone home delirious. My guess is Hughes would never have got on that tight rope without a safety net. The plan B was a done deal before the draft pending the outcome of plan A.

Media smoke means nothing. There’s legit zero proof they actually wanted Dubois other than some journalists who started a rumour by saying they offered 3 players for him. With how secretive Hughes and Gorton are with their moves since they’re in charge and especially for the draft, i doubt some journalists would suddenly know about that.

• Haha
Reactions: Guy Larose

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
We just gave up the 13th overall pick + 3rd round pick for Kirby Dach.....think about that for a second.
You should be a whole lot more concerned about that then trading what will most likely be a pick in the low 20's for PLD.
Ironically, people would be more upset with the Dach trade if they thought he was actually good enough to bring us out of the basement next year.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I don't think Dach has an attitude problem. I hope PLD is not Drouin all over.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016

Teams were throwing away 2022 1sts like they were pocket change.

2023 1sts are gold.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
More like Romanov + 4th round pick.

What’s the problem with that?

Kent Nilsson

Jan 31, 2016
Ironically, people would be more upset with the Dach trade if they thought he was actually good enough to bring us out of the basement next year.

Thats why HuGo were ready to gamble on a project whereas paying a kings ransom for PLD makes no sense.

Thank god our new execs’ brains work far differently than HFHabs.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
That would be nice but I would venture that they’ll at least want a player, pick and prospect — something I imagine they could get from another suitor in a competitive window.
No problem, they can get a good center (Dvorak or Dach), 3rd round pick and one 5th maybe, one or two prospects not among our top guys, but could include Norlinder, Mailloux, Beck, Kidney, Xhekaj, plus one vet contract we want to move and who does not have a NTC (Hoffman, Armia or Savard).

Maybe even Evans, Anderson, 5th and the vet contract if they like Anderson, but in that case PLD will be a LW.

Kent Nilsson

Jan 31, 2016
No problem, they can get a good center (Dvorak or Dach), 3rd round pick and one 5th maybe, one or two prospects not among our top guys, but could include Norlinder, Mailloux, Beck, Kidney, Xhekaj, plus one vet contract we want to move and who does not have a NTC (Hoffman, Armia or Savard).

Maybe even Evans, Anderson, 5th and the vet contract if they like Anderson, but in that case PLD will be a LW.

:biglaugh:

I think you are the goat of trade offers.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada

You're looking at it wrong. They gave up Romanov, 4th and 3rd for a shot at a big centre with a lot of potential. They decided to take a shot at something that could turn out really big, or could be a complete waste. That's the whole point, just sitting back and drafting and doing nothing else takes too long, and it's painful.

Look at Buffalo and Edmonton and the last 10 years.

Now in terms of PLD, I'm not sure how much I'd be willing to go. I think getting a player of his ilk and someone who actually wants to play in Montreal would be a great get. However, you could also get him in 2 years (possibly) for just money and this team won't be competing for jack over the next 2 years.

So for me:

Dvorak, Anderson and a mid round pick would be the highest I'd go. Winnipeg, I think wants to compete so they'd want actual roster players. This trade would have an immediate impact for them, but Montreal could win in the long run.

Reactions: sampollock

Jul 6, 2016
You're looking at it wrong. They gave up Romanov, 4th and 3rd for a shot at a big centre with a lot of potential. They decided to take a shot at something that could turn out really big, or could be a complete waste. That's the whole point, just sitting back and drafting and doing nothing else takes too long, and it's painful.

Look at Buffalo and Edmonton and the last 10 years.

Now in terms of PLD, I'm not sure how much I'd be willing to go. I think getting a player of his ilk and someone who actually wants to play in Montreal would be a great get. However, you could also get him in 2 years (possibly) for just money and this team won't be competing for jack over the next 2 years.

So for me:

Dvorak, Anderson and a mid round pick would be the highest I'd go. Winnipeg, I think wants to compete so they'd want actual roster players. This trade would have an immediate impact for them, but Montreal could win in the long run.
Dvorak + Anderson = 10 M $
Dubois will earn 6M $

Do they have the 4M$ cap space to do that ?

Reactions: sampollock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad