Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

J22*

It's just the sheer amount of random proposals have just gotten way overboard.

We don't even know if the Rangers are shopping him in the first place at this point. I do know they haven't been shopping MacDonagh.

This thread the past couple weeks has just been "we need a #1 C, let's look at every #1 or 2 C from every other team and dream up proposals... just because".

Completley agree with the bolded. Between making proposals for any and every center in the NHL, and making proposals that involve the WIld vets with NMC's, it has gotten rather childish.

Can't agree when it comes to Stepan though. With his contract situation, and the Rangers cap situation, it's very possible that he's available. If Stepan is available, the Wild should definitely be interested.

In reality, a 1C wouldn't cost only Coyle and Spurgeon.

A 1C without a contract on a team without a ton of cap space might.
What would've been the consensus value on guys like Hamilton and Saad 2 weeks ago?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Nino is the only guy we have who has the chance to develop into an elite goal scorer. Don't want to move him for stepan. At all.
Nino wasn't included for Stepan...
He'd still cost Brodin+
Nope. Rangers fans didn't mention Brodin once in the Stepan thread. It was Coyle+Spurgeon. They want righties and Brodin isn't that.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
I am legitimately dumbfounded that proposing "trade ideas" in a "trade ideas" fan forum is being chastised...

Anyhow, Stepan is a legit 1C. He fits our playing style and expands our C depth incredibly without gutting our core/prospects/draft picks if the aforementioned coyle+Spurgeon trade were to go down.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
A 1C without a contract on a team without a ton of cap space might.
What would've been the consensus value on guys like Hamilton and Saad 2 weeks ago?

I don't believe a 1st+two 2nds have more value than Coyle+Spurgeon either so we really could have a deal to be made here. If it's Coyle+Spurgeon for Stepan we'd be sitting pretty with:

Parise-Stepan-Pominville
Zucker-Granlund-Nino
Vanek-Koivu-Fontaine
Haula-Carter-Schroeder

Suter-Brodin
Scandella-Dumba
Reilly-Folin

Dubnyk
Kuemper
(hopeful Backstrom+4th for 7th to a team needing to reach the cap floor)

So by my count that's one 1st line, two 2nd lines, one 4th line, two potential 1st pairs and one young 3rd pair with 2nd pair potential.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
For those saying Stepan isn't a legit 1C...

82 game pro rated ~ 19 goals 47 assists 66 points

Good for 39th in goal scoring and 15th in points among NHL.com listed centers.

Streetcandy

Jan 9, 2015
For those saying Stepan isn't a legit 1C...

82 game pro rated ~ 19 goals 47 assists 66 points

Good for 39th in goal scoring and 15th in points among NHL.com listed centers.

Need to Pro rate other players as well when you do that. He'd really be ~18th in points and ~50th in goals. Another thing to consider is that he did that while playing on the best team in the league. He's still a legit 1C but I think people are worried about having yet another center that can't score goals.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Need to Pro rate other players as well when you do that. He'd really be ~18th in points and ~50th in goals. Another thing to consider is that he did that while playing on the best team in the league. He's still a legit 1C but I think people are worried about having yet another center that can't score goals.

So you're telling me the 1C on the "best team" in the league could be had for Coyle+Spurgeon and people will worry about that? The dude had as many assists without pro rating than Granlund had points. Both played 68 games.

So here's what I've heard from this thread...

1. We don't want to trade Brodin for any 1C unless he's 21 and puts up 80+ points.
2. We don't want to trade Scandella cause he's our only big dman.
3. We don't want to trade Spurgeon cause *insert rant about puck possession stats and size*
4. We don't want to trade Pominville because he *could* go back to being a 20+ goal scorer despite being 32 and having a cap hit of $5.6m for the next 4 years.
5. I personally don't want to trade Dumba so here's my contribution :D

The moral of that list is that you can't expect a 20+ goal 70+ point center without giving up better pieces than Coyle or Spurgeon. It just won't happen unless there's a deficiency with the player (cap hit, defensive issues, etc).

Trades I've seen with serious consideration:
Granlund+Spurgeon+pick for Couture
Brodin+pick for RNH
Scandella for Turris

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I'd be interested in Turris. Ottawa would want a king's ransom, though.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I'd be interested in Turris. Ottawa would want a king's ransom, though.

His name's been brought up before around here and Ottawa fans have even been open to trading him since they see Zibanejad as their future 1C. The problem usually comes with the fact that Ottawa fans want a LD in return which usually means Brodin or Scandella going the other way. I like Turris a lot, but I'd have a hard time parting with either of those two players. Brodin just has so much untapped potential and Scandella is pretty unique to our current defensemen and IMO there doesn't seem to be another similar player in our system that brings his unique brand of offense and defense.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
His name's been brought up before around here and Ottawa fans have even been open to trading him since they see Zibanejad as their future 1C. The problem usually comes with the fact that Ottawa fans want a LD in return which usually means Brodin or Scandella going the other way. I like Turris a lot, but I'd have a hard time parting with either of those two players. Brodin just has so much untapped potential and Scandella is pretty unique to our current defensemen and IMO there doesn't seem to be another similar player in our system that brings his unique brand of offense and defense.

If you can get Stepan for Coyle+Spurgeon or Turris for Brodin/Scandella+, which do you choose? I think it's pretty clearly Stepan as he's not only a better fit for our system, he's just better in general.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
So you're telling me the 1C on the "best team" in the league could be had for Coyle+Spurgeon and people will worry about that? The dude had as many assists without pro rating than Granlund had points. Both played 68 games.

So here's what I've heard from this thread...

1. We don't want to trade Brodin for any 1C unless he's 21 and puts up 80+ points.
2. We don't want to trade Scandella cause he's our only big dman.
3. We don't want to trade Spurgeon cause *insert rant about puck possession stats and size*
4. We don't want to trade Pominville because he *could* go back to being a 20+ goal scorer despite being 32 and having a cap hit of $5.6m for the next 4 years.
5. I personally don't want to trade Dumba so here's my contribution :D

The moral of that list is that you can't expect a 20+ goal 70+ point center without giving up better pieces than Coyle or Spurgeon. It just won't happen unless there's a deficiency with the player (cap hit, defensive issues, etc).

Trades I've seen with serious consideration:
Granlund+Spurgeon+pick for Couture
Brodin+pick for RNH
Scandella for Turris

So we trade our #2 #3 and #4 D and get back 3 center and 0 d-man

Edit: Oh first i thought that you wanna do all those trades..

J22*

If you can get Stepan for Coyle+Spurgeon or Turris for Brodin/Scandella+, which do you choose? I think it's pretty clearly Stepan as he's not only a better fit for our system, he's just better in general.

Turris is the better player at both ends of the ice, and is on a much better contract right now. Having said that, I would much rather trade Spurgeon + Coyle for a center than Scandella or Brodin.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
So we trade our #2 #3 and #4 D and get back 3 center and 0 d-man

Edit: Oh first i thought that you wanna do all those trades..

Oh there's no way I'd do all those trades, though a Stepan-Turris-RNH-Koivu center group would be complete overkill on acquiring a 1C.

Streetcandy

Jan 9, 2015

I wouldn't trade Scandella+ or Brodin for Turris but the thing I like most about acquiring him is how his contract situation works for us. He's under contract for 3 more years at only 3.5M when we could give him Koivu's money. Stepan on the other hand would be tough to fit in with his new contract. Stepan's new contract is the determining factor for me because if I was him I'd be trying to use ROR new contract as a starting point and maybe go down a bit from there. That just wouldn't work for us outside of getting rid of one of our vets with a NTC which isn't happening.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Disagree. Turris is younger, a better goal scorer and cheaper than Stepan.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Oshie is building a house right now in MN. He's UFA at the same time Vaneks contract ends. I'm seeing things in the future.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
I think it would take a large precedent to trade Coyle or any other young forward due to the importance that they very well could have that we might not have seen yet, we've seen considerable flashes from all of our young players in very important situations.

Before we start getting too crazy we have to realize while the Wild were extremely bad at stretches in the year, the Wild were also historically dominant for stretches as well.

You really cannot say one player carried this team through any stretch of the season.
I hate to be that guy but giving it thought the wait and see approach isn't a terrible one to take here.

The Wild play a very team oriented game where all the wheels need to be turning and if that happens they just chug along and blow teams away, but if too many little kinks happen the whole ****ing thing blows apart.

I almost think their system might discourage individual players from really shining and not because of choice or any real reason I just think that's the type of system they play. Pominville, Vanek, Koivu? (Maybe I'm wrong) (although they should be traded just because they are god awful in the play offs every single one of them)

People talked at the draft that they wanted boom or bust type of players. I say this entire team is boom or bust, for the last few years they've been extremely boom or bust. This is the most boom or bust team in the entire league and probably the team with the most complicated offseason now and in the future.

How could a team go stretches where they look like the worst team in the league, and then have stretches where they look like the best team ever?

Ultimately I don't think anyone knows what exactly to do. But giving it time is not a horrible idea. Trading a chunk of the young core could end up really sucking later on. Our window isn't closing, there is no window time is objective, anything could happen and anybody can get lucky once.

Also hell no on trading prospects.

J22*

Oshie is building a house right now in MN. He's UFA at the same time Vaneks contract ends. I'm seeing things in the future.

I would have zero interest in Oshie. One of the most overrated players in the league.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
I would have zero interest in Oshie. One of the most overrated players in the league.

I don't agree, i think he is a very good 2nd line Winger the problem is his money demands are going to be inflated, on a decent deal he'd be a great fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad