Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
No, but for just a pick, he'd be really nice depth. He could top out as an excellent AHL call up, or he could be a 50-60 point player in the NHL.

That's pretty much all you can hope for from anyone you draft in the 2nd round, the only difference is Weal is more proven and NHL ready than anyone you could draft.

Seeing that none of our vaunted youth have even come close to that number, I'd like to be as optimistic as you. But I am not.

Small 3rd round pick with AHL pedigree seems to have piqued your interest: not mine, especially at the cost of a second in a deep draft.

J22*

No, but for just a pick, he'd be really nice depth. He could top out as an excellent AHL call up, or he could be a 50-60 point player in the NHL.

That's pretty much all you can hope for from anyone you draft in the 2nd round, the only difference is Weal is more proven and NHL ready than anyone you could draft.

He loses his waiver exempt status at the end of this year. The Wild would have to be certain that he is indeed NHL ready to trade for him.

I don't know enough about him to do more than guess at his value, but he seems like a similar player to Schroeder, and a 2nd round pick seems awfully expensive to me.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Personally, I'd trade our draft picks for Weal and someone like Phillips for Burmistrov. I mean at this point, let's just start throwing stuff at the wall and hopefully something sticks.

RussosBurner

Jun 19, 2012
State of Hockey
If San Jose misses the playoffs and finally decides to blow up their core or at least go a little younger, I wonder what they would need for Burns. I don't want to overpay and maybe I'm just being nostalgic but it seems like he would be a nice fit here.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
If San Jose misses the playoffs and finally decides to blow up their core or at least go a little younger, I wonder what they would need for Burns. I don't want to overpay and maybe I'm just being nostalgic but it seems like he would be a nice fit here.

Coyle & Phillips and a 1st :naughty:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Personally, I'd trade our draft picks for Weal and someone like Phillips for Burmistrov. I mean at this point, let's just start throwing stuff at the wall and hopefully something sticks.

Only desperate teams would even consider doing what your suggesting. This team is not desperate.....

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
We already have a number of smaller players on this team and it gets us into trouble at times already, so my vote is for no more smaller players.

There is only 1 P. Kane, loath as I am to admit how good he is. Plus, because of Chicago's depth, he can get away with how he plays. There's no way he pulls that off on other teams as easily. They're going to miss Big Hoss and Sharp way more than they realize if they do get rid of those two.

It's a deep draft and we have had good luck with our seconds. Let's just keep the one this year and stock our cupboards a little - we already don't have one next year.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Not sure I would call what we've had with our second rounders "good luck". 40% of Fletcher era second round picks will never play another NHL game for the Wild after putting up a paltry 9 points here. Larsson isn't even sticking on the worst team in the league as more than a call-up for the fourth line. Bulmer might never play another NHL game anywhere.

Olofsson looks like if all goes according to plan, he could be a solid #4-5 d-man.

Lucia still looks like a big project and his numbers in college aren't really blowing anyone away. Zucker had much better numbers in college. Speaking of Zucker, some of you are worried about him having a disproportionate ratio of goals to assists in the NHL? Well Lucia has a very similar ratio in college hockey right now. Only a sophomore still, but so much left for him to accomplish before he can be considered good luck.

That leaves Zucker as the lone guy that's really succeeded from the 2nd round (coincidence that he's also the only one that's under 6' tall? Who knows).

So yeah, I'm not sure what good luck in the second round you're referring to.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Not sure I would call what we've had with our second rounders "good luck". 40% of Fletcher era second round picks will never play another NHL game for the Wild after putting up a paltry 9 points here. Larsson isn't even sticking on the worst team in the league as more than a call-up for the fourth line. Bulmer might never play another NHL game anywhere.

Olofsson looks like if all goes according to plan, he could be a solid #4-5 d-man.

Lucia still looks like a big project and his numbers in college aren't really blowing anyone away. Zucker had much better numbers in college. Speaking of Zucker, some of you are worried about him having a disproportionate ratio of goals to assists in the NHL? Well Lucia has a very similar ratio in college hockey right now. Only a sophomore still, but so much left for him to accomplish before he can be considered good luck.

That leaves Zucker as the lone guy that's really succeeded from the 2nd round (coincidence that he's also the only one that's under 6' tall? Who knows).

So yeah, I'm not sure what good luck in the second round you're referring to.

40% is better than the league as a whole when it comes to 2nd round picks. Historically, a 2nd round pick has a 25% chance of playing 200 games in the NHL.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He loses his waiver exempt status at the end of this year. The Wild would have to be certain that he is indeed NHL ready to trade for him.

I don't know enough about him to do more than guess at his value, but he seems like a similar player to Schroeder, and a 2nd round pick seems awfully expensive to me.

Hard to gauge because Weal came up through Canadian juniors and Schroeder through USNDTP/College, but by all accounts it seems that Weal's floor is what Schroeder is at the moment.

He's 22 and clearly NHL ready. You talk to Monarchs/Kings fans in the know and they say on any given night he's one of the two best players on the ice, no matter what. Works hard and has a good mind.

Back in his draft year, he was one of three players in the entire CHL to put up 100+ points. The other two were some guys named Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin. He fell because there were concerns that his stats were inflated due to playing with Eberle- which he's clearly shown were false assumptions- and because of his size.

Perhaps his size is a concern. Who knows. Players of all sizes have failed at the NHL level, players of all sizes have succeeded at the NHL level. Success is more dependent on skill and hard work than size.

As it stands, whoever we wake in the 2nd round round is going to be much less proven. Weal is putting up nearly PPG numbers in the AHL, after three straight 100+ point seasons in the WHL. Those stats over the span of 5-6 years are not a fluke. There's something here.

I guess there's not much more I can say if you're not sold on him because he's only 5'10. Oh well.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
40% is better than the league as a whole when it comes to 2nd round picks. Historically, a 2nd round pick has a 25% chance of playing 200 games in the NHL.

Tell me this. If the guy we take with the second rounder this year, in 5-6 years, has stats that look like Weal's have the last 5-6 years, will you be happy with that pick?

102 points in the CHL his draft year (this year, for us).
208 points in the CHL the next two years.
151 points in his first 199 AHL games. (117 have come in the most recent 127 games)

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Tell me this. If the guy we take with the second rounder this year, in 5-6 years, has stats that look like Weal's have the last 5-6 years, will you be happy with that pick?

102 points in the CHL his draft year (this year, for us).
208 points in the CHL the next two years.
151 points in his first 199 AHL games. (117 have come in the most recent 127 games)

Admittedly, I don't know a lot about Weal....but I wouldn't get too worked up over numbers put up in Juniors or the AHL. Remember Corey Locke? He put up even better numbers in Juniors and the AHL, but never got more than a cup of coffee in the NHL.

Not saying that Weal is destined to follow the same path that Locke did, but just pointing out that numbers alone can be deceiving.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Admittedly, I don't know a lot about Weal....but I wouldn't get too worked up over numbers put up in Juniors or the AHL. Remember Corey Locke? He put up even better numbers in Juniors and the AHL, but never got more than a cup of coffee in the NHL.

Not saying that Weal is destined to follow the same path that Locke did, but just pointing out that numbers alone can be deceiving.

Remember all of those guys where their numbers told the correct story about their future? Because there have a been a bunch as well.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Here, read this.

I already asked the Kings fans about him, that's what I got in response. A few people echoed that same sentiment. All the articles I've read about him have said the same thing.

I got one fan that told me "Jordan is Weally good".

You're telling me we don't need puns like that on this team? :sarcasm:

Also, as a side note, because this is the second time someone has brought up Corey Locke, Weal's putting up these numbers at 21-22, Locke wasn't over .5PPG until he was 25-26.

Last edited:

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
one reason to not just trade a draft pick for an already proven guy who you dont necessarily need but would be good depth if he worked out is timing and creating logjams at development areas. top six roles in the AHL, forward spots in the NHL. sure, you should pounce when you can on certain players but you have to keep a steady, slow flow of players in the system. If the Wild are satisfied (and familiar with) Schroeder and Fontaine I don't know that this is a trade thats any more than a doing something for the sake of doing something kinda trade. I wouldn't say size has much to do with it, but as he doesn't address any real deficiencies (size/physicality being the one we have now) this doesn't make much sense.

PAYHA

Jan 17, 2015
In the woods
I'd rather keep our picks. And try to go for a college free agent like Caggiula. He's only a junior so idk if he's coming out, but he has great skill and plays center.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Drake Caggiula is 5'9. Not sure how he fits into the big body fever going around HFWild right now, where anyone under 6'2 200lbs is toxic and you shouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Caggiula never really jumped out to me as an NHL talent. Haven't watched enough North Dakota this year to see if he's taken a big step this year.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Caggiula never really jumped out to me as an NHL talent. Haven't watched enough North Dakota this year to see if he's taken a big step this year.

He's the main event on the North Dakota roster this year. Shifty, speedy, nice hands, definitely took a step this year. Whether or not he turns out to be an NHL player, who knows. Kinda like Danny Kristo lite if I had to compare him to someone else from UND in the past few years.

PAYHA

Jan 17, 2015
In the woods
He's the main event on the North Dakota roster this year. Shifty, speedy, nice hands, definitely took a step this year. Whether or not he turns out to be an NHL player, who knows. Kinda like Danny Kristo lite if I had to compare him to someone else from UND in the past few years.

Pretty good analogy. He seems to split defenders and get top notch chances every weekend. Without question has shown a knack for scoring goals this season

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Pretty good analogy. He seems to split defenders and get top notch chances every weekend. Without question has shown a knack for scoring goals this season

Definitely fun to watch. I don't know if any of you are familiar with the social media app Yik Yak, but it's basically anonymous Twitter for your current location, where everyone with the app nearby can see what you say. Anyway, it seems like every weekend there's a slew of 'Yaks' about how Caggiula is the man and "oh my god did you see what Caggiula just did" kinda things.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Remember all of those guys where their numbers told the correct story about their future? Because there have a been a bunch as well.

Of course there have. My point was that point totals in lesser leagues doesn't always translate to NHL success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad