Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't like the idea of giving up a 2nd for a 3rd pairing guy. I know our options are limited without the 3rd rounder, but I'd think you'd be able to get a guy that's 80% of Polak for a 4th or 5th.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Phil Kessel, Korbinan Holzer, 3rd pick to LA for Jeff Carter, Jake Muzzin, conditional 4th round pick

Condition being if LA finishes higher than a wild card spot it's a third round pick

????

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Ryan Lambert (of all people) had a really good article about Bergenheim and why he's being overvalued.

Stats through 2011:

G60 0.76
P60 1.54
S60 9.83
S% 7.7%

That's actually a fair amount of shots per game but nothing overwhelmingly amazing.

But then he had a really great playoff:

G60 2.38
P60 2.91
S60 12.2
S% 19.6%

He doubled his point production! Actually he did again increase his shooting, but look at the shot percentage, nearly tripled. Based off that small sample size, Florida gave him a 4-year deal worth $2.75m per year.

His stats since then:

G60 0.95
P60 1.62
S60 10.62
S% 8.9%

Nice little bump from his previous stats, but probably not what they were expecting. And your "real" stats were 41 goals and 70 points in three years. Nothing to write home about.

The shot totals are CRAZY. He's shooting the puck about as much as Parise or Pominville. But his shooting percentage is closer to Koivu/Granlund levels. And he doesn't get many assists either.

I guess as a third line wing option he wouldn't be bad...but why give up to get him when you have guys like Schroeder and Nino as depth already? Are you going to give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick and then put a guy like Vanek on the fourth line?

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Yeah I haven't gotten the Bergenheim talk, but since I don't watch Panthers games I'd just figured there was something there I was missing from the stat sheets.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I just don't feel like any rental player we can get is going to be worth the cost to get him.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Brodziak, Backstrom, Cooke, Fontaine and probably Spurgeon are about the only ones I could see them trying to deal out. And the only reason I say Spurgeon is he is the only one of the Top 4 Dmen who is not signed long term, and Dumba is obviously not going to be traded.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Brodziak, Backstrom, Cooke, Fontaine and probably Spurgeon are about the only ones I could see them trying to deal out. And the only reason I say Spurgeon is he is the only one of the Top 4 Dmen who is not signed long term, and Dumba is obviously not going to be traded.

Although i mean we've seen how hard it is when even one of the top 4 guys goes out. You'd kinda like to lock up a young-mobile d-man if you can because they aren't easy to find.

I'd like to try to keep suter, brodin, scandella, spurgeon, and dumba around long term.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Even if you lock him up to Scandella-type deal, if in 3ish years you decide that you needed to trade him for whatever reason, it would be a very tradeable contract. I don't think you'd have any trouble getting value for him.

But I agree. I'd like to keep those 5 on the same team as long as possible.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Although i mean we've seen how hard it is when even one of the top 4 guys goes out. You'd kinda like to lock up a young-mobile d-man if you can because they aren't easy to find.

I'd like to try to keep suter, brodin, scandella, spurgeon, and dumba around long term.

100% agree and I have really come to like and respect Spurgeon as a Dman. But unless they plan on trading away the future of an already barren prospect cupboard (Tuch, Lucia, Oloffson) and they don't want to trade the 1st round pick....something has to be given up if they actually plan on getting someone who is worth their salt for a playoff push/run.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
I just don't feel like any rental player we can get is going to be worth the cost to get him.

I agree,I think if we do get a rental it will be a marginal player for a 5th pick or less.

I think if any substantial move is made it will be a trade involving players with term and picks/prospects.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
100% agree and I have really come to like and respect Spurgeon as a Dman. But unless they plan on trading away the future of an already barren prospect cupboard (Tuch, Lucia, Oloffson) and they don't want to trade the 1st round pick....something has to be given up if they actually plan on getting someone who is worth their salt for a playoff push/run.

They're not going to trade Spurgeon to make a playoff push this year. You have a young group of defensemen that want to play here and play very well together. A core of Spurgeon, Brodin, Dumba, and Scandella in the future when Suter is getting up there in age, will be a very solid group of defensemen.

If we can have Dumba on the 3rd pairing and PP time at 20 years old, he's only going to get better. I don't mind having 3 defensive pairings that don't feel like liabilities when they're out there.

The amount of **** this team has dealt with this season, I'm proud that we're still in a playoff race. Don't need to trade for anything this year, just let the cards play out, maybe pick up a 3rd pairing defensemen for VERY cheap (5th-7th pick), and then see where that gets you. If they make the playoffs, great. If they don't (and I think we're actually in a favorable position to make the playoffs), then we get a lottery chance at McDavid or a mid-range pick in one of the deeper drafts & we go into next year with a goaltender and a healthy (both physically and emotionally) squad.

Last edited:

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
I really hope we don't give up any assets for another dman. Just keep Dumba paired with scandy, use prosser folin til spurge is back

PAYHA

Jan 17, 2015
In the woods
Ryan Lambert (of all people) had a really good article about Bergenheim and why he's being overvalued.

Stats through 2011:

G60 0.76
P60 1.54
S60 9.83
S% 7.7%

That's actually a fair amount of shots per game but nothing overwhelmingly amazing.

G60 2.38
P60 2.91
S60 12.2
S% 19.6%

He doubled his point production! Actually he did again increase his shooting, but look at the shot percentage, nearly tripled. Based off that small sample size, Florida gave him a 4-year deal worth $2.75m per year.

His stats since then:

G60 0.95
P60 1.62
S60 10.62
S% 8.9%

Nice little bump from his previous stats, but probably not what they were expecting. And your "real" stats were 41 goals and 70 points in three years. Nothing to write home about.

The shot totals are CRAZY. He's shooting the puck about as much as Parise or Pominville. But his shooting percentage is closer to Koivu/Granlund levels. And he doesn't get many assists either.

I guess as a third line wing option he wouldn't be bad...but why give up to get him when you have guys like Schroeder and Nino as depth already? Are you going to give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick and then put a guy like Vanek on the fourth line?
Schroeder has been a nice surprise I'd say. And has bought some time for management to decide if a move is necessary

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013

Stats through 2011:

G60 0.76
P60 1.54
S60 9.83
S% 7.7%

G60 2.38
P60 2.91
S60 12.2
S% 19.6%

His stats since then:

G60 0.95
P60 1.62
S60 10.62
S% 8.9%

The wild don't have a third. Unless it's in 2016.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Watching the Jackets-Pens game, I really like Atkinson's game. Shown great vision and passing skills so far in the first 10 minutes. Rumor has it he is available...

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Doesn't Atkinson have some injury concerns too? Or am I imagining things?

Puhis

Will accept caffeine.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Bergenheim would be a good fit to our 3rd line. He is a two-way winger, has a good (but not great) work ethic, great wheels and is willing to shoot. He is not the smartest guy on the ice, nor does he have the greatest shot, but he's not a scrub either. The biggest issue is... do we really need him? We already have a surplus of wingers in our squad, many with similar skill-sets. Then again, he would be a good replacement for Zucker, only with a weaker shot.

Man, if only Korpikoski was available. He's the kind of guy I'd gladly pay for. He has the speed to match Zucker, is experienced and works hard. A brilliant piece to our PK, and someone who could work very well with Koivu, too. Once Zucker comes back, he'd be a great 3rd liner. Then again, we can't afford to give this years' 2nd, so a package deal would be in order. Also, our biggest need (currently, as well as in the future) is a 3rd pair, preferably left-handed defenseman. And all of those were paid premium for last summer, so I guess we have to roll with what we've got.

*checks rosters*

...Well, Falk's not that bad, right? :(

PAYHA

Jan 17, 2015
In the woods
Bergenheim would be a good fit to our 3rd line. He is a two-way winger, has a good (but not great) work ethic, great wheels and is willing to shoot. He is not the smartest guy on the ice, nor does he have the greatest shot, but he's not a scrub either. The biggest issue is... do we really need him? We already have a surplus of wingers in our squad, many with similar skill-sets. Then again, he would be a good replacement for Zucker, only with a weaker shot.

Man, if only Korpikoski was available. He's the kind of guy I'd gladly pay for. He has the speed to match Zucker, is experienced and works hard. A brilliant piece to our PK, and someone who could work very well with Koivu, too. Once Zucker comes back, he'd be a great 3rd liner. Then again, we can't afford to give this years' 2nd, so a package deal would be in order. Also, our biggest need (currently, as well as in the future) is a 3rd pair, preferably left-handed defenseman. And all of those were paid premium for last summer, so I guess we have to roll with what we've got.

*checks rosters*

...Well, Falk's not that bad, right? :(

I really only want Bergenheim for the playoffs if we were to make it. Would be worth a 3rd if he lit it up again

PAYHA

Jan 17, 2015
In the woods
We don't have a 3rd.

Even better give them a 4th with a conditional 6th if we make the playoffs.

Although at this point I'd like to see what Kerenen is about before make a rash deal. Schroeder has been playing well and helps replace Zuckers speed.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
We could use Bergenheim in the playoffs. If we make the playoffs, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad