Speculation: Trade, FA & Rumours (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'd be annoyed if we got another Defenceman to block the progress of our own. I think Samberg and Heinola are ready and taking it slow doesn't help them. I want them to run Samberg on the second pairing and Heinola on the 3rd pairing to start off with. The right side is full with Demelo, Pionk and Poolman.

Reactions: hn777

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
How about..

To FLA: Laine + Pionk
To WPG: Ekblad + Tippett + 2nd

To VGK: Roslovic
To WPG: Reaves + 2nd

To TBL: Heinola
To WPG: Cernak + 2nd + 4th

Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers - Stastny - Tippett
Harkins - Copp - Appleton
Perreault - Lowry - Reaves
Shore

Morrissey - Ekblad
Forbort - DeMelo
Samberg - Cernak
Beaulieu/Poolman

Hellebuyck
Brossoit

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd be annoyed if we got another Defenceman to block the progress of our own. I think Samberg and Heinola are ready and taking it slow doesn't help them. I want them to run Samberg on the second pairing and Heinola on the 3rd pairing to start off with. The right side is full with Demelo, Pionk and Poolman.

I want a top pairing RD, that wouldn't block either of our kids.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

Depth is never a bad thing. Hamonic wouldn’t be my choice but having some experience to battle with Poolman, Beaulieu, and Sbisa for the 6-9D spots wouldn’t hurt.

I think Heinola stays in Finland for the year. Having his ELC start next year will coincide with Wheelers contract ending.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
How about..

Shore

Morrissey - Ekblad
Forbort - DeMelo
Samberg - Cernak
Beaulieu/Poolman

Hellebuyck
Brossoit

Im confused why would we want to trade a expansion exempt D like Heinola for a guy who is not exempt and then play him on our 3rd pairing? Makes no sense.

I’m ok with the first two trades, but your third one makes no sense and is just a bad idea IMO.

Trade Heinola for Cernak & picks and then lose Cernak or DeMelo to Seattle. Then all we have to show for Heinola is a couple not great picks and rental of one year who played limited mins on our 3rd pairing. I would sooner just keep Heinola.

Also I doubt any Florida fan or the team would do that trade for Laine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huffer

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Im confused why would we want to trade a expansion exempt D like Heinola for a guy who is not exempt and then play him on our 3rd pairing? Makes no sense.

I’m ok with the first two trades, but your third one makes no sense and is just a bad idea IMO.

Trade Heinola for Cernak & picks and then lose Cernak or DeMelo to Seattle. Then all we have to show for Heinola is a couple not great picks and rental of one year who played limited mins on our 3rd pairing. I would sooner just keep Heinola.

Also I doubt any Florida fan or the team would do that trade for Laine.
Lol.....forgot about that damn ED

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
How about..

Shore

Morrissey - Ekblad
Forbort - DeMelo
Samberg - Cernak
Beaulieu/Poolman

Hellebuyck
Brossoit

I don't think we'd get a 2nd in the Florida trade, but it potentially makes sense for both sides IMO.

If we trade Laine I think I would keep Roslovic and play him in the top 6 so we didn't rush Tippett.

Making the Cernak trade would mean we'd be protecting 4D (Jmo, Ekblad, DeMelo, Cernak) and 4F (Wheeler, Ehlers, Connor, Schief). Leaving Seattle to choose from essentially the same forwards they'd have available now (Roslovic, Harkins, Copp, Appleton) If Roslovic shows he's top 6 material he'll be taken for sure, but we'd have Tippett , Vesalainen, Harkins, etc. that we could try in that spot.

So I'd do 1 and 3 but wouldn't do 2.

Reactions: KingBogo

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don't think we'd get a 2nd in the Florida trade, but it potentially makes sense for both sides IMO.

If we trade Laine I think I would keep Roslovic and play him in the top 6 so we didn't rush Tippett.

Making the Cernak trade would mean we'd be protecting 4D (Jmo, Ekblad, DeMelo, Cernak) and 4F (Wheeler, Ehlers, Connor, Schief). Leaving Seattle to choose from essentially the same forwards they'd have available now (Roslovic, Harkins, Copp, Appleton) If Roslovic shows he's top 6 material he'll be taken for sure, but we'd have Tippett , Vesalainen, Harkins, etc. that we could try in that spot.

I wouldn’t do 3 as I’m very high on Heinola but that’s just me.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How about..

Shore

Morrissey - Ekblad
Forbort - DeMelo
Samberg - Cernak
Beaulieu/Poolman

Hellebuyck
Brossoit

I do the first one. Fla does not.

I don't do the other 2, especially not the last one.

Maurice still doesn't split up Copp and Lowry.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Roslovic was drafted 25 OA in a particularly strong draft class. He is performing almost exactly where you would expect the 25th OA pick to perform, 25th in GP, G, A and 22nd in total points among that class. I don't think we should accept anything less than a late 1st for him.

Failing to have met too high expectations for him is leading people here to severely under value JR.
Your really think a team would give up the 1st rounder for Roslovic.
I don't think he's shown much at all so far.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Florida has to pay Ekblad $2 mil this year. Laine gets $7.5 mil. No way they do that.

The trouble with the 3rd trade is we give up Heinola to get Cernak, never mind any XD implications.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Your really think a team would give up the 1st rounder for Roslovic.
I don't think he's shown much at all so far.

He has performed at exactly the right level for where he was drafted. I mean exactly - and that was an exceptional draft class.

Everybody wanted him to be a 2C. Maybe he was never capable of that. Maybe he was just never given the opportunity. We'll probably never know. But he has produced well considering he has mostly played on a shut down line.

That said, no I don't think anybody would give us a 1st for him. Or at least not likely. But I wouldn't trade him for less. I think he could add significant value in a package for something good and that is probably the best way to get value for him. Otherwise take a chance on an unproven but promising prospect.

If we can't get a good return, don't trade him. He is Jets property for 4 more years and he is a useful player.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Except $1.55 a year ago means nothing now. With the effects COVID will have on the cap for who knows how many years to come. If Jack gets an offer of $1.55 he would probably be smart to take it.

Brendan Lemieux signed his contract on November 6th, this year. Of course that is with the Rangers who gave Trouba the contract he wanted too. I think Roslovic is looking for more than $1.55 million, given that he had better production than Copp and Lowry last year. He doesn't have a lot of leverage, holding out probably forces a trade. Don't expect him to play the cards that way, but I am not surprised this is the most difficult offseason negotiation.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Poolman had a very good year in his first full season as a pro, but he's also a UFA at the end of this season, as an overage draft pick, with 3 minor league seasons under his belt. I think that's a spot that Samberg could also fill. I believe he played a lot on his offside in college. If there was an injury to De Melo I'd prefer to see Samberg jump up to play with Morrissey before Poolman. Good chance Forbort starts off the season with Pionk, and takes a leading role on the PK. Add Samberg to Beaulieu, Poolman, Sbisa and Niku that's better depth than we had last year, and all of those 4 were injured at one point during the season. If it's an expanded roster, like to see Hamonic on it. You are going to need some defensive depth, in a shortened season, with a long layoff, and short TC. I don't think there is a rush to bring Heinola over this year. 2021-22 could be his Calder year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets are actively working on a trade for Roslovic, and if so would perhaps let the new team negotiate his next contract. With the upcoming expansion draft, the Jets likely won't have room to protect Roslovic, especially if they haven't traded Laine before then.

The only way I see the Jets keeping Roslovic beyond the expansion draft is if they trade Laine, and a top-6 forward isn't part of the return. I see that as unlikely.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets are actively working on a trade for Roslovic, and if so would perhaps let the new team negotiate his next contract. With the upcoming expansion draft, the Jets likely won't have room to protect Roslovic, especially if they haven't traded Laine before then.

The only way I see the Jets keeping Roslovic beyond the expansion draft is if they trade Laine, and a top-6 forward isn't part of the return. I see that as unlikely.

To me Jack isn't in the long term plan at this point. They tried to deal him earlier this summer and I can see things picking up again with TC likely to start in under a month. A number of teams like Tampa still need to make moves to shed salary.

Reactions: BatVader
Nov 24, 2006
To me Jack isn't in the long term plan at this point. They tried to deal him earlier this summer and I can see things picking up again with TC likely to start in under a month. A number of teams like Tampa still need to make moves to shed salary.
They did?

Reactions: hn777

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Poolman had a very good year in his first full season as a pro, but he's also a UFA at the end of this season, as an overage draft pick, with 3 minor league seasons under his belt. I think that's a spot that Samberg could also fill. I believe he played a lot on his offside in college. If there was an injury to De Melo I'd prefer to see Samberg jump up to play with Morrissey before Poolman. Good chance Forbort starts off the season with Pionk, and takes a leading role on the PK. Add Samberg to Beaulieu, Poolman, Sbisa and Niku that's better depth than we had last year, and all of those 4 were injured at one point during the season. If it's an expanded roster, like to see Hamonic on it. You are going to need some defensive depth, in a shortened season, with a long layoff, and short TC. I don't think there is a rush to bring Heinola over this year. 2021-22 could be his Calder year.
Depends on if they want to compete this season as Heinola could be their 3rd best defenceman right now.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

There are a lot of unknowns with the Jets protected list right now.

If Rosie is traded and the return doesn't require protection, who do the Jets lose? If they keep Rosie, unprotected, is he the one who goes? Is that better or worse than trading him now and losing someone else instead? Depends on the return. Traded by himself, I don't see Rosie returning a lot right now.

Reactions: SCP Guy

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There are a lot of unknowns with the Jets protected list right now.

If Rosie is traded and the return doesn't require protection, who do the Jets lose? If they keep Rosie, unprotected, is he the one who goes? Is that better or worse than trading him now and losing someone else instead? Depends on the return. Traded by himself, I don't see Rosie returning a lot right now.
If the Jets plan to keep Laine through this season, then I can certainly see the Jets trading Roslovic prior to camp, perhaps even just for futures (picks and/or prospects). I'm sure that like every other team the Jets are seeking to reduce their salary costs, and even saving a bit of money would likely be desirable. Even if the Jets see this year as a year for contending, they might see the opportunity to acquire picks for Roslovic and perhaps use some of that asset value to acquire a player at the trade deadline. The emergence of Harkins and Appleton last season, along with another year of development for Vesalainen might make the Jets feel that they have enough forward depth / talent to trade Roslovic for futures.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Stastny-Laine
Copp-Lowry-Appleton
KVes-Gustafsson-Perreault
etc.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
If the Jets plan to keep Laine through this season, then I can certainly see the Jets trading Roslovic prior to camp, perhaps even just for futures (picks and/or prospects). I'm sure that like every other team the Jets are seeking to reduce their salary costs, and even saving a bit of money would likely be desirable. Even if the Jets see this year as a year for contending, they might see the opportunity to acquire picks for Roslovic and perhaps use some of that asset value to acquire a player at the trade deadline. The emergence of Harkins and Appleton last season, along with another year of development for Vesalainen might make the Jets feel that they have enough forward depth / talent to trade Roslovic for futures.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Stastny-Laine
Copp-Lowry-Appleton
etc.
Harkins still is the 13th fwd? I’d give Gus another year in minors and put Harkins in spot.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Stastny-Laine
Copp-Lowry-Appleton
etc.

This sounds a lot like you are suggesting that they are going to trade Rosie for crap just for the sake of making a trade. Or are you talking about high picks and good prospects?

Do we need to keep him? No. But we don't need to move him either.

If we keep Laine through the season, what are the odds of signing him long term next off-season? I'd say not great. Our chances of getting a good return for Laine are a lot better if we have some decent assets to package with him. By that I don't mean a couple of mid rd picks, or a 3rd + a B prospect.

I have nothing against trading Roslovic. In fact, I'm all in favour of it. But don't make any trade for the purpose of getting rid of him. Make a trade in order to get the good return. No good return, no deal. Right now, I don't think we get much for him by himself.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
I'd say Roslovic is in tough to be in our starting lineup this coming season. I don't think Maurice has much faith in him and Harkins, Appleton, Ves, etc I'd say will pass him.
The Jets could also use a pick or two to stock up the pipeline, seeing as we've dealt a number of picks away the last few seasons and next.
I'd be fine with dealing Roslovic for a pick without losing him in the expansion draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad