Speculation: Trade, FA & Rumours (Mod warning OP)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I'm not 100% against a shief for barzal as a base. Certainly would shake things up, especially with the shief/wheels bromance. Maybe then he could be talked into waiving his NMC

Barzal - perfetti as a 1C/2C punch is sexy.

Connor Barzal Ehlers
Vesalainen Perfetti Laine

I wouldn't have interest in that myself. The appeal IMO of getting Barzal would be to run a Scheif/Barzal combo. Plus, Scheif's contract is not one I would be trading, and Perfetti is likely a few years away from being able to handle a 2C role.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I wouldn't have interest in that myself. The appeal IMO of getting Barzal would be to run a Scheif/Barzal combo. Plus, Scheif's contract is not one I would be trading, and Perfetti is likely a few years away from being able to handle a 2C role.

Agreed.....plus it does nothing to the issue of Laine reportedly wanting out, as per his agent comments, his potential contract demands and adding yet another big cap hit winger......the thing we need the least.

IMO either Laine or Wheeler should be traded.......Wheeler being the captain, cost guaranteed and a no move.......fairly certain Wheeler isn't going anywhere. Plus if you add to that the fact, trading Wheeler & his return doesn't help us win in the next four years........any Laine return helps us win now & over the next four years (our prime window).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Came across a very interesting article in the Athletic. "NHL Trade Value Rankings: The 50 most valuable trade assets in hockey" They looked at age, contract status, production, but bottom line it was who you would pay more for in a trade. No goalies were selected due to the unpredictability of the position. Only 2 Jets made the list Connor at #50 and Scheifele at #33, between Josi and Barkov. The Jets did have 4 honourable mentions in Laine, Ehlers, Helly and Morrissey. Wheeler was a notable exception with age and contract status pretty much ruling him out.

For those with a subscription:

NHL trade value rankings: The 50 most valuable assets in hockey

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Came across a very interesting article in the Athletic. "NHL Trade Value Rankings: The 50 most valuable trade assets in hockey" They looked at age, contract status, production, but bottom line it was who you would pay more for in a trade. No goalies were selected due to the unpredictability of the position. Only 2 Jets made the list Connor at #50 and Scheifele at #33, between Josi and Barkov. The Jets did have 4 honourable mentions in Laine, Ehlers, Helly and Morrissey. Wheeler was a notable exception with age and contract status pretty much ruling him out.

For those with a subscription:

NHL trade value rankings: The 50 most valuable assets in hockey

Also Murat has a fan survey out in the athletic. I wrote a couple of paragraph answers lol.

Winnipeg Jets fan survey 2.0: Sizing up the offseason, 2021, Seattle and more

Reactions: KingBogo

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I'd bring Perrault back at 1-1.5 million... but we are very lucky that Little is on LTIR because those two contracts would have pinned us to the cap

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Here is another thought, could Seattle put together an attractive offer for Laine, if yes what could it look like?

- Part of the deal would be to leave Laine unprotected, thus we don't lose another decent player.

- A very good 1st Rd pick, maybe two of them or other picks.

- Other players left exposed by teams that Seattle drafted via the expansion draft.

- Agreement to draft one of the Jets players, the Jets want to get rid of likely due to a contract.......MP would be an example albeit not him him due to his contract will be done by then, just using him as a example. Little on LTIR I can't see the Jets having any other contracts they would realistically want to get rid of.

Summary I think the main value would be futures, in the form of a good 1st Rd pick, plus some possible drafts picks & decent young prospects/yng roster players from other teams. Also part of the package could be blocked Seattle from taking any other player from the Jets by them taking Laine. Might also get as part of the deal a solid roster player that a team couldn't protect.

Thoughts?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I can't see us getting much at all in return for Roslo.
Small, hasn't scored alot, not great defensively.
I'd say a 2nd round pick or a B prospect at the most.

Roslovic was drafted 25 OA in a particularly strong draft class. He is performing almost exactly where you would expect the 25th OA pick to perform, 25th in GP, G, A and 22nd in total points among that class. I don't think we should accept anything less than a late 1st for him.

Failing to have met too high expectations for him is leading people here to severely under value JR.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Lowry wasn't good without Copp last year, hopefully that was just an outlier year.

True - but if Copp is 3C and Lowry 4C ........ ?

Or if they are together on a 3b line, or a 3a line with Harkins - Roslovic - Appleton as the other 3rd line ..... ?

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
True - but if Copp is 3C and Lowry 4C ........ ?

Or if they are together on a 3b line, or a 3a line with Harkins - Roslovic - Appleton as the other 3rd line ..... ?
I’d put Apple with Lowry and cool and Vesalainen with Harkins and Roslo.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Here is another thought, could Seattle put together an attractive offer for Laine, if yes what could it look like?

- Part of the deal would be to leave Laine unprotected, thus we don't lose another decent player.

- Other players left exposed by teams that Seattle drafted via the expansion draft.

- Agreement to draft one of the Jets players, the Jets want to get rid of likely due to a contract.......MP would be an example albeit not him him due to his contract will be done by then, just using him as a example. Little on LTIR I can't see the Jets having any other contracts they would realistically want to get rid of.

Summary I think the main value would be futures, in the form of a good 1st Rd pick, plus some possible drafts picks & decent young prospects/yng roster players from other teams. Also part of the package could be blocked Seattle from taking any other player from the Jets by them taking Laine. Might also get as part of the deal a solid roster player that a team couldn't protect.

Thoughts?
Kicked this around earlier in this thread (or a previous one). Here's my post at the time:

Vegas came out of the expansion draft with:
- Marchessault
- Haula
- Tuch
- Karlsson
- Theodore
- #6 pick (their own, wound up as Glass)
- #13 pick (ours :ha:, wound up as Suzuki)
- #15 pick (wound up as Brannstrom)

My thoughts are: if we could wind up with the equivalent of Marchessault/Karlsson + Theodore + 2 1sts, that's something I would really take a look at.

Reactions: Hunter368

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Thoughts?
I highly doubt that Seattle will have the assets to make it worthwhile. The picks would be most obvious assets, but I doubt they would give up enough to match Laine's value. Unless other teams are as unwise as they were in the Vegas expansion draft, I doubt there will be great young options available.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Kicked this around earlier in this thread (or a previous one). Here's my post at the time:

Vegas came out of the expansion draft with:
- Marchessault
- Haula
- Tuch
- Karlsson
- Theodore
- #6 pick (their own, wound up as Glass)
- #13 pick (ours :ha:, wound up as Suzuki)
- #15 pick (wound up as Brannstrom)

My thoughts are: if we could wind up with the equivalent of Marchessault/Karlsson + Theodore + 2 1sts, that's something I would really take a look at.
I think teams will be more savvy this time, and it's unlikely that top prospects or young players will be available.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Jets would need to add more to get Barzal. I would trade Laine straight up for Barzal, for sure.

I would doubt that NYI would consider trading Barzal for a winger. My guess is that they would be exploring a trade for another top C, if at all. I wonder if something around Eichel and Barzal might be in the cards?

If the Jets are in the picture, then I think it would have to be a bigger deal and the Jets might need to consider putting Perfetti into the mix. Maybe something like Laine / Perfetti for Barzal / Dobson, maybe. I wouldn't do that, from the Jets' perspective.

If NYI can't fit Barzal into their cap structure then they can't fit Eichel.

I think you might be on the right track with Laine/Perfetti, but Isles need to add to Barzal/Dobson at that point.

:laugh: Talk about your blockbuster deals! This would be seriously big.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
does NYI have enough space for Laine's current cap hit, and his new deal thereafter? id do Laine for Barzal straight up

They gain 3.35 mil from Cizikas next year, but they also have some raises to hand out. It would be tight, depending on how big a raise Laine earns.

If Laine thinks his earning power is being suppressed in Wpg, what will he think about playing with Isles defense first system? He might not be able to justify more than ~8 mil if his scoring is limited to 35-35-70(ish). Will he even be able to score that much with the C he would have there while Perfetti gets up to NHL level play? Might be quite the wake-up call for Patrick.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think Laine with a modest add like Roslovic would be near enough for a young budding star #1 center. I think the necessary add would have most Jets fans saying no.

I think the add might have most Jets fans cringing - but saying yes in the end. And Isles fans still wouldn't like it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would peg Barzal in the Carter/Richards caliber of number 1 centers.

Both returned a good young winger and futures.

I fail to see how a Laine and a 1st package isn't equivilant/better then the

Simmonds, Schenn and a 2nd package that got Richards or the Voracheck and a 1st package that got Carter.

I think a package of Laine and a good future piece like a first is very fair value given what has been traded for 1C's in the past. Barzal isn't Eichel.

Having said that I see the Islanders giving him what he wants over moving him. You don't get cheap with 2 way number 1 centers. He was never going to sign for the $7.5 million Lou wants him inked for.

I think your last paragraph hits the nail on the head.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
KV has to do what Harkins and others before him did...play well enough that the Jets' brass have no option but to call him up. He hasn't done that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad