Speculation: Trade, FA & Rumours (Mod warning OP)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Then the Jets will value Laine as the 50 goal ppg winger he was on the path to becoming before Mauroce started working on turning him into a more rounded player.

Also if that is what they value him as then give him the 9 to 10 million he wants.
Maybe if he was top 3 in possession on the team over the last 2 seasons combined like Brazal was with the Islanders, rather the 34th Laine was for the Jets.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Maybe if he was top 3 in possession on the team over the last 2 seasons combined like Brazal was with the Islanders, rather the 34th Laine was for the Jets.
Does possession really matter for a sniper? He shouldn’t have the puck a lot imo he should get open and have the puck on his stick for only a couple of seconds. Get puck make one move or just shoot it right away. It’s drivers like Ehlers who carry the puck a lot.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yes certainly Eichel for Barzal as a base certainly makes more sense to NYI then Laine+ for Barzal does.......but that's no fun for Jets fans. Haha

Having said that, Laine & Jack R for Barzal?

NYI - Centre position becomes weaker assuming Jack plays C on NYI, but they get significantly stronger on the wing.

Jets - Jets get stronger at C but weaker at the wing.

I agree highly doubt NYI would do it, just don't trade 1C for a 1st line winger. Same likely could be said teams doubtful trading a 1D for a 1st line winger.
I just don't see the Isles moving Barzal without getting a 1C back. From the Jets perspective, I'd trade Laine/Roslovic for Barzal.

I think it's more likely that the Jets could get a 1D in return for Laine than a 1C.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I just don't see the Isles moving Barzal without getting a 1C back. From the Jets perspective, I'd trade Laine/Roslovic for Barzal.

I think it's more likely that the Jets could get a 1D in return for Laine than a 1C.
And that 1d is probably what we need more. Praying perefetti has the 1c position on lock.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Does possession really matter for a sniper? He shouldn’t have the puck a lot imo he should get open and have the puck on his stick for only a couple of seconds. Get puck make one move or just shoot it right away. It’s drivers like Ehlers who carry the puck a lot.
Actually I don't think the Jets top 6 is well suited to being a strong possession team. High shooting % and scoring lots of goals is actually bad for possession since it ends possession and by rule you have to faceoff again at center. All of our young star forwards have GF% much higher than xGF%, meaning they score much more with their chance than would be expected on average. Laine has the biggest difference out of all of them.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

The point was that anyone can play the I'm going to value my asset at their peak value but ultimately the market will decide what that value is.

Also not really surprising about Barzal being a possession monster. He is a playmaking center that loves to hold onto the puck for extremely long periods of time. Not that Laine doesn't need to up his possession game but as mentioned he is a one shot scorer that can beat goalies from all ove the ice which impacts his metrics.

In the end I doubt the Islanders move him but the package I have presented is more then fair value based off of past precedent.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Actually I don't think the Jets top 6 is well suited to being a strong possession team. High shooting % and scoring lots of goals is actually bad for possession since it ends possession and by rule you have to faceoff again at center. All of our young star forwards have GF% much higher than xGF%, meaning they score much more with their chance than would be expected on average. Laine has the biggest difference out of all of them.
So then why wouldn’t claimed be valued as a 50 goal guy if Barzal is viewed as a 90-100 pt guy? Also like @surixon has pointed out Laine has been more consistently around that number than Barzal has been around his. Therefore it’s easier to dismiss Barzal’s accomplishment as an outlier season. That said I do like Barzal more than Laine.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Doubtful the Isles move Barzal at all, but in the event they did, I'm not sure there are other C's that could be available? Maybe Monohan+?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So then why wouldn’t claimed be valued as a 50 goal guy if Barzal is viewed as a 90-100 pt guy? Also like @surixon has pointed out Laine has been more consistently around that number than Barzal has been around his. Therefore it’s easier to dismiss Barzal’s accomplishment as an outlier season. That said I do like Barzal more than Laine.
The vast majority of #1 centers build on their early years, and also when there was such a clear change in coaching style after that year the Islanders would need to treat Brazal as that true #1 center if they want to keep him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Doubtful the Isles move Barzal at all, but in the event they did, I'm not sure there are other C's that could be available? Maybe Monohan+?

Flames don't have the cap space to make it work. They have one million in cap space currently and Barzal is likely to make 2.5 to 3 million AAV more then Monahan. The Islanders are also pretty cap strapped and really can't take back more cap then Monahan from them.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I mean which team is actually going to give them a number 1 center for him? Especially if their center is locked in long term already.

If they feel they have to move him they may need to take the vest value deal which very well could be Laine plus. But as I mentioned I doubt they have to move him and should just given him the $9 million he likely wants.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don’t think there is any rush, otherwise he would of been traded already. I suspect Chevy is waiting to see how multi situations work out on the Jets (Laine) and other teams RFAs....then Jack’s fate will be decided.

There are still trade possibilities this off-season, but they become a little less likely each day. As it stands now, I expect both Laine and Roslovic in the opening day lineup.

I would prefer to see some activity - but solid moves. I don't actually expect anything.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If we are picking up former Kings, I'd consider trading him for Adrian Kempe, because I think we need forward depth as much as defensive. Kempe plays a bit heavier. A Kempe-Gustafsson-Vesalainen line would be a good cycle and net drive line.

What do you mean, "former Kings"? Kempe is a current King.

Kempe for Rosie is a lateral move for both teams. Why does either team do that? RW for LW, slight difference in size. Both can play C. We have a lot more LW depth than RW.

Reactions: surixon

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
There are still trade possibilities this off-season, but they become a little less likely each day. As it stands now, I expect both Laine and Roslovic in the opening day lineup.

I would prefer to see some activity - but solid moves. I don't actually expect anything.

Agreed

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Flames don't have the cap space to make it work. They have one million in cap space currently and Barzal is likely to make 2.5 to 3 million AAV more then Monahan. The Islanders are also pretty cap strapped and really can't take back more cap then Monahan from them.

Honestly, I did a very poor job of researching that one from a cap perspective. My main thought really was, sure the Isles may want a C back, but how many teams really have C's that they are willing to trade?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not sure if this has been posted, but
Does a Jonathan Toews for Patrik Laine Trade Make Sense? - NHL Rumors - NHLTradeRumors.Me

Laine, Perreault, and a 1st for Toews, who says no? :eyeroll:
I think the author forgot that Toews is 32 y/o not 22 y/o. If it was the run up to the season of 2010 and Toews was coming off his 1st cup win after winning the Con Smythe and winning gold for Canada while getting a Best Forward award in doing so and with 5 years left on a $6.3 M contract than hell yeah. But since it is 2020 and while Toews is still a very solid 2-way 60 point center he has 3 years left at $10.5 M so I think I'll take a pass.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'm not 100% against a shief for barzal as a base. Certainly would shake things up, especially with the shief/wheels bromance. Maybe then he could be talked into waiving his NMC

Barzal - perfetti as a 1C/2C punch is sexy.

Connor Barzal Ehlers
Vesalainen Perfetti Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad