Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Unsexy pic. Outrage begins
Un sexy? Lol have you watched him at all?

You can predict with almost near certainty who our scouting staff is going to pick based on who has the most PIM totals.

They are obsessed with toughness and physicality. You'd think they would have learned a lesson from picking Boucher, but apparently not.
Bullshit.

This is nothing like Boucher. Go cry some more. Such lazy low IQ narratives and complaining in this thread. This boards unbearable.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I like Beaudoin but it would be insanely dumb to consider taking him 7th or even trading down to the early teens to pick him.

And not thinking Yakemchuk would be there at 7 is just more proof that the Sens scouting staff has no clue they are way off the mark compared to what most scouting staffs think.
Why do you think you know more than everyone? There's been nothing in your post history that suggests it. In fact it's quite the opposite.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
By far the most important attribute for a defenseman.

Next is skating ability, which Yakemchuk also lacks.

But he hits and takes penalties, so who cares about all that.
Lead the WHL in goals. 'piMs and HitS' yawn. Not sure if you actually watch playoff hockey but teams with heavy d cores and style of play keep winning the Stanley Cup. Protecting the house and clearing the crease. He also snaps an unreal first pass. But you read a scouting report by someone an NHL team won't actually hire that aligns with your pre conceived views so you're right. You know more than Staios.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Did you miss the part where they said trade down from 7?
Did you miss the part where that didn't happen. Or the guy that tweeted it retweeted that Beaudoin got drafted 15 times in a row? Or the part where he said 'maybe I'm wrong not confident.'

Probably not.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Just so everybody knows, I am the original 'yak'. I am going to license that nickname to this kid. I've been a member of this forum longer than he's been alive. Okay I just had to get that legal matter out of the way.

Just for the record I think it would be really cool if you turned into a stud. Defenseman and I can get a jersey with Yak on the back! Just saying!

I've been watching some of these draft shows and obviously he was on it and he caught my attention because of his offense. For sure. I wouldn't say that I felt like he was rated as high as the Sens picked him at but I kind of felt like this draft was maybe not as clear-cut as the scouts and the professionals thought it was going to be. It felt a little bit more all over the place. It sure worked out that way for all the teams. Just not us.

I was on the record as I wanted the Chara clone. I'll stick with that just in case he does turn out to be one. However, if Yak pans out, it's going to save me a lot of money on Future Jersey's! If he ever gets traded, I'm going to get jerseys for like dirt cheap that are going to be relevant for as long as I will be alive.

If this kid pans out, play anything like he was in the WHL fan and we got ourselves a stud. I just hope that this is not the second coming of Lassie Thomson. Just saying. At least the kids got a little bite and he's got a decent wrister and he can make a few moves.

The Senators either hit it bang on or they miss it completely There is no in between for their drafting. There was some serious questionable pics made in this first round by a lot of teams and I think just because of that there should probably be some decent second round picks available tomorrow. I'd like to see this Senator see if they could move up and acquire another second round pick and identify a few of these hidden gems that are still available.

I think when it comes to some of these players I've given up Hope on dreaming about all of them panning out and whatever happens, happens. We don't know what's going to happen. Unless you're drafting in the top three, maybe four. I feel like everything after that is just a lottery pick and you hope it pans out.

I was surprised with such all over the place drafting that we didn't see more trades. Not sure the rationale between not seeing many trades and teams drafting all over the place. Seems like with teams not really putting stock in the ranked players and drafting whatever number they want that they didn't feel as confident about seven of these rankings and surprised that some of these players didn't tune into trade, but maybe some teams didn't value these ranked players enough to think they're worth trading for. Just my two cents. Now. Let's see some trades! I need some day two shockers to keep me amused for next season.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I feel that Yak was the right choice in that slot. But who knows, I am scarred from the previous three names mentioned in this thread. He is not ready for the NHL next season, so we have at least a year for this thread to "keep on giving" .

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
1719658531203.jpeg

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
I like this pick a lot. This guy's skill set is so rare. The size, the skill, the right-handedness, the mean streak, this guy is going to be a valuable player for the Sens.

He will project as more of a two-way guy in the NHL than he is in the WHL. I don't think he is scoring 30 in the NHL. I think he will take 3-5 years to develop and grow that defensive side of the game, but when he does, and I have no doubt he will, this guy will be a menace.

Also, can't wait to watch him play for team Canada at the WJC in Ottawa.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
IMHO, while I would have preferred Catton or Parekh, Yak isn't a bad pick. Dickinson is a less intelligent Sanderson who's a LHD, so extremely redundant. Silayev has such a surprise unknown factor. Buium is dynamic and smart, but who knows if his lack of skating and size is enough.
Buium was the only guy I really wanted over Yak. His skating is phenomenal though. I've seen you post this a few times. What are you talking about? I can't believe how far he fell.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
wtf is Staois on about with"character", Yakemchuk had the worst interviews at the draft combine.
Character isn't the same thing as interviewing poorly.

He is an introverted guy, probably socially awkward, may not do well in interview settings or public speaking stuff.

How he is on the ice and how he acts and carries himself in the rink is what they mean by character, and by all accounts he has it in spades.

Reactions: swiftwin

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
Character isn't the same thing as interviewing poorly.

He is an introverted guy, probably socially awkward, may not do well in interview settings or public speaking stuff.

How he is on the ice and how he acts and carries himself in the rink is what they mean by character, and by all accounts he has it in spades.

Yeah, maybe he’s a little autistic and see ice like The Good Doctor sees a surgery!

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
I'm not going to argue that his overall skating is elite but there are aspects of his game that benefit from his skating, his feet can keep up with his hands in various situations for example, driving down low for one, cutting to the net, he can straddle the blue line, he can work his feet in a way that get his shoulders square for his big, accurate shot. There are positives.

There aren't a lot of big defensemen that are 'ready made' great skaters that come out of jr. but there are a lot that develop that skill at a later stage to a very passable level. See Brent Burns as someone that Yak has been compared to.

Considering the base of talent he is working with and that his feet have good signs to build from I'm confident that skating will not be a perpetual concern with him.

Skating is a very fixable trait when lacking out of jr and it's almost expected to be sub par for a big guy like Yakemchuk. No concern here at all.
In general smaller guys are the ones who will need good edges and quick 3 steps or they get crushed.
Yes It's fixable it might not become elite but hopefully it's good enough to stop Demi-god

Reactions: PlayersLtd

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Steve Staois was an NHL defenceman, who better to assess the defencemen in this draft that him? How many NHL GMS are former NHL defencemen? How many people who do all these ranking sites & videos are former NHL defencemen? I think having played the position at the highest level of the sport in the best hockey league in the world might know a thing or two about playing defence in the NHL

Are you suggesting that the GM might have overruled his Head Scout and the scouting staff? Sure, a GM should have some input to the decision at the end of the day…. But as others have suggested, there were better prospects available, and instead of selecting the BPA, are you and others suggesting the GM decided on selecting for Need over BPA?

Let's be fair. Ottawa isn't really the free agent destination Miami is, climate-wise.

no State income Tax helps as well

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
For those interested in learning more about his game, HockeyProspect.com had a good breakdown:

View attachment 888928
View attachment 888929
View attachment 888930
View attachment 888931
View attachment 888932

They ranked him 14th.

They tried to put him higher but felt wrong every time they tried to.

"The problematic nature of his decision making and lack of good skating skills made us wonder"

Lol great.

There's a bit of Phaneuf in his game.

I think if he makes it it'll be more as a two-way D. Offense isn't going to translate that well so he'll need to.
He'll need to improve his skating according to reports if he wants to keep up with dynamic forwards defensively.

That's how you find unicorns. Players that do it all.

Except for skating, decisions making, and defensive play according to scouts lol

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That stuff about Cole Beaudoin is concerning. Us drafting him in the 12-15 range would have been Boucher-esque.
Its no surprise we like Beaudoin, he's a good prospect who Bob had 23rd in a draft where there was very little consensus, he fell right in the range of our second pick before we traded it, so it's not at all like Boucher if we were to take him 12-15.

Also, it seemed like the guy saying we might have considered trading back wasn't confident in his Intel, nor did he say how far we'd be trading back.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
That’s fine, but Staios is being supported by a scouting team that has a terrible track record these last three years.

That stuff about Cole Beaudoin is concerning. Us drafting him in the 12-15 range would have been Boucher-esque.
In his exit interview Dorion ask a favor, that someone would drop a rumor about reaching for a prospect in the 2024 draft

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Are you suggesting that the GM might have overruled his Head Scout and the scouting staff? Sure, a GM should have some input to the decision at the end of the day…. But as others have suggested, there were better prospects available, and instead of selecting the BPA, are you and others suggesting the GM decided on selecting for Need over BPA?

no State income Tax helps as well
GMs don’t get involved in later picks but they do have a big say in first rounders, especially at 7th overall. I really doubt Staios is gonna pick Yakemchuk if he didn’t agree with the scouts’ assessment of his game, especially when the head scout in question wasn’t his hire and probably won’t be the guy next year.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I feel that Yak was the right choice in that slot. But who knows, I am scarred from the previous three names mentioned in this thread. He is not ready for the NHL next season, so we have at least a year for this thread to "keep on giving" .
If he scores 40 goals an 90 points with 150 pims next year I wonder if people will continue to be negative?

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
They ranked him 14th.
They tried to put him higher but felt wrong every time they tried to.
"The problematic nature of his decision making and lack of good skating skills made us wonder"

Lol great.

He'll need to improve his skating according to reports if he wants to keep up with dynamic forwards defensively.
Except for skating, decisions making, and defensive play according to scouts lol
All bolded words are essentials to become an elite D.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Its no surprise we like Beaudoin, he's a good prospect who Bob had 23rd in a draft where there was very little consensus, he fell right in the range of our second pick before we traded it, so it's not at all like Boucher if we were to take him 12-15.

Also, it seemed like the guy saying we might have considered trading back wasn't confident in his Intel, nor did he say how far we'd be trading back.
Plus he has a personal interest in the player.

Its no surprise Ottawa liked him, he's a good prospect and right in the range of the pick they traded to Boston. He is a guaranteed NHL player some teams really value that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad