Trade deadline's on the horizon. Which way do we go?

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I'm curious as to what most fans seem to prefer at this juncture (over the next 2 to 3 years). There are three main ways the team can go at this time. 1.Keep all or most picks, especially firsts, develop the young players and prospects and make a few judicious trades... 2. Trade players and/or prospects,sign some UFA's, including our own, filling in the major holes in the lineup and try to take advantage of a weak Eastern Conference and go for it now... 3. A hybrid of the two strategies whereby you compromise between the two.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
I'm curious as to what most fans seem to prefer at this juncture (over the next 2 to 3 years). There are three main ways the team can go at this time. 1.Keep all or most picks, especially firsts, develop the young players and prospects and make a few judicious trades... 2. Trade players and/or prospects,sign some UFA's, including our own, filling in the major holes in the lineup and try to take advantage of a weak Eastern Conference and go for it now... 3. A hybrid of the two strategies whereby you compromise between the two.

the goal is to win the cup:nod::nod::)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I think we sell off players like Franson, Kulemin, Lupul, Raymond and Gunner for picks and prospects. It's what is best for the rebuild.

JK, we are 4th in our division, a point out of 2nd... we will stand pat our add a player for the stretch drive

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
we should probably add another face puncher for our 4th line. Is Joey Kocur still available?

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Don't expect to see drastic change. Don't think we'll be breaking the bank giving away 1st round picks for UFA rentals. The team is certainly not at that stage. Only ways I see Nonis pulling the trigger on a deal that brings a player like Moulson here (or any other top impending UFA on a team that may miss playoffs) is if he wants to re-sign that player and is confident that he can get it done.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
No significant trades, no picks for rentals, clear out bottom contracts if possible. If they know they don't want or can't sign Kule then I guess they make a big mistake. Raymond or Franson aren't going to bring anything that will improve the team. Stand pat.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
pretty much stand pat unless there is an overwhelming offer for a guy like Kulemin or Raymond. But don't trade future assets for a rental, we are not a team at that level yet. Potentially trade franson for a better 2-way rightsided D who would be here long term.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
pretty much stand pat unless there is an overwhelming offer for a guy like Kulemin or Raymond. But don't trade future assets for a rental, we are not a team at that level yet. Potentially trade franson for a better 2-way rightsided D who would be here long term.

You mean the Bolland trade wasn't a good idea? Yikes!

Feb 24, 2004
I think we sell off players like Franson, Kulemin, Lupul, Raymond and Gunner for picks and prospects. It's what is best for the rebuild.

JK, we are 4th in our division, a point out of 2nd... we will stand pat our add a player for the stretch drive

Agree with everyhing except Lupul. He seems to be good for us - granted I have no advanced stats to prove that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd look for hockey deals involving Kulemin, Franson, Raymond and test the waters on Bolland interest around the league. I'd dump Reimer as well if the price is right. He's obviously coming to his best before date as a Leaf.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I'd look for hockey deals involving Kulemin, Franson, Raymond and test the waters on Bolland interest around the league. I'd dump Reimer as well if the price is right. He's obviously coming to his best before date as a Leaf.

We may consider a Reimer trade if there is a market for that nets us a decent return...maybe to the Pens along with Kulemin. Raymond stays unless we are offered a good deal as he cost us nothing. Bolland will not be moved in my opinion as they are more likely to resign him.

Kulemin is the real interesting one....I do not think he will be resigned..at an amount that he wants so do we get something for him and play a Holland on the wing to take his place....I say we are considering this a lot. Pens make sense as does packaging him with Reimer and they would like having the security of another goalie who can play....

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
We may consider a Reimer trade if there is a market for that nets us a decent return...maybe to the Pens along with Kulemin. Raymond stays unless we are offered a good deal as he cost us nothing. Bolland will not be moved in my opinion as they are more likely to resign him.

Kulemin is the real interesting one....I do not think he will be resigned..at an amount that he wants so do we get something for him and play a Holland on the wing to take his place....I say we are considering this a lot. Pens make sense as does packaging him with Reimer and they would like having the security of another goalie who can play....

A deal centered around Kulemin for Depres would be interesting, even though I really like Kulemin.

TheThrill81*

We should deal Phaneuf for B-level prospects. Elite d-men grow on trees, so it's ok.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
hope we make a soft D-man trade like last deadline with o-byrne.
essentially just trade for a little playoff depth.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Adding some depth on the back end if we can afford it, maybe deal Raymond for whatever we can get. We have a few guys that can replace him though when Bolland gets back I'll be interested to see if he can ride Bolland's hard work to a bunch more points.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
All unsigned potential UFAs get either signed or traded.

No they don't lol. Where did that idea from? Clarke MacArthur was the typical UFA last season and we played out the year with him. We didn't trade him at the deadline..we let his contract run it's course and we let him walk. What makes you think all un-signed potential UFA's get either signed or traded?

Edit: Is that a prognostication? I may have taken that post the wrong way lol.

Last edited:

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
See what u can get for Raymond franson kulimen, if u can get a 1st see ya.

Other than tbat stay pat don't need to go and get anyone

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Probably the best thing the team could do is nothing. Not one of the 4 major impending UFAs is expendable as a member of a prospective playoff team. It's not like someone is beating the door down trying to take any of these players' roles. The closest is Holland for Bolland but there's still a big gap between the two.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Keep doing what we've doing, the trade deadline is the worst time to make deals unless you're a true contender looking for help to put you over the top. Be patient ride the year out, we know the cap is going up again, so decide in the summer who to re-sign, who to let go if what they want is too rich. And make trades at that time. There's no point in over-paying for a piece when we're not a top contender. Yeah we're one point out of 2nd. But we're one point out of second because in the overall picture this team has been built up nicely. I can't remember the last time we made a huge move at the trade deadline where we risked 1st round picks and top prospects. We've done most of our big moves in the summer at the appropriate time where we have that expanded room in the cap to do it. Like I said, continue with building this team up and eventually we will become a contender, rushing now and making big moves just to make big moves is un-necessary and it could be damaging to our future.

And honestly who is there that we need? We don't need Vanek, as good as he is we don't need more scoring especially with his cap number it wouldn't work anyway. Moulson? No thanks we'd have to trade our first rounder plus a prospect, I would be pissed! if we did that. There is not one rumoured available piece that I'd make a big move for. Not even MacDonald, this guy is asking for 5+million a year, plus we'd have to give up our 1st rounder. At the deadline it's all about a bidding war and who can over-pay the most. It would be stupid for us to make a big move at this point. We're on a good run we don't need to make big moves and upset the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad