Trade deadline's on the horizon. Which way do we go?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I personally think we have enough scoring on this team, and can afford to trade Joffrey Lupul and Cody Franson at this year's deadline, hopefully for some big time defensive help.

Our top 9 would STILL look good, with Kessel, JVR, Bozak, Kadri, Clarkson, Kulemin, Bolland, Raymond and maybe Holland.

And our D COULD look great, if we had Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Gleason, Rielly, Gardiner and maybe someone like Giordano on it.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I personally think we have enough scoring on this team, and can afford to trade Joffrey Lupul and Cody Franson at this year's deadline, hopefully for some big time defensive help.

Our top 9 would STILL look good, with Kessel, JVR, Bozak, Kadri, Clarkson, Kulemin, Bolland, Raymond and maybe Holland.

And our D COULD look great, if we had Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Gleason, Rielly, Gardiner and maybe someone like Giordano on it.

I've been saying now is a good time to move Lupul if the return is right for awhile now. He misses a lot of games due to injury and if someone wants to give up a good piece for him, I'd move him.

Lupul: "Story of my life"

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
I'd look for hockey deals involving Kulemin, Franson, Raymond and test the waters on Bolland interest around the league. I'd dump Reimer as well if the price is right. He's obviously coming to his best before date as a Leaf.

Sounds like a very wise notion. Trade two of your top 9 forwards and your only right handed d going into the playoffs. Everyone knows hockey deals always transpire at the deadline, its not as if the trades all consist of draft picks and prospects. Also if Bernier were to get hurt this season or the playoffs, no doubt the Leafs will have a back up that will do just as well as Reimer if called upon.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

Sounds great. Its not as if the Leafs will have any injuries in the process. Lupul and Franson will not get you Gio.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I can't see them doing anything of significance just some minor tinkering.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
pretty much stand pat unless there is an overwhelming offer for a guy like Kulemin or Raymond. But don't trade future assets for a rental, we are not a team at that level yet. Potentially trade franson for a better 2-way rightsided D who would be here long term.
I agree with this. Although I don't think I would sell off Raymond. We have nothing invested in him and you need secondary scoring to succeed in the post season. I would love to shore up our defense for the playoff push.....not sure what is available.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Keep doing what we've doing, the trade deadline is the worst time to make deals unless you're a true contender looking for help to put you over the top. Be patient ride the year out, we know the cap is going up again, so decide in the summer who to re-sign, who to let go if what they want is too rich. And make trades at that time. There's no point in over-paying for a piece when we're not a top contender. Yeah we're one point out of 2nd. But we're one point out of second because in the overall picture this team has been built up nicely. I can't remember the last time we made a huge move at the trade deadline where we risked 1st round picks and top prospects. We've done most of our big moves in the summer at the appropriate time where we have that expanded room in the cap to do it. Like I said, continue with building this team up and eventually we will become a contender, rushing now and making big moves just to make big moves is un-necessary and it could be damaging to our future.

And honestly who is there that we need? We don't need Vanek, as good as he is we don't need more scoring especially with his cap number it wouldn't work anyway. Moulson? No thanks we'd have to trade our first rounder plus a prospect, I would be pissed! if we did that. There is not one rumoured available piece that I'd make a big move for. Not even MacDonald, this guy is asking for 5+million a year, plus we'd have to give up our 1st rounder. At the deadline it's all about a bidding war and who can over-pay the most. It would be stupid for us to make a big move at this point. We're on a good run we don't need to make big moves and upset the roster.
... Agreed. I am a proponent of staying the course also.We have holes obviously but most teams do.Five years ago I had hoped we'd A) have a younger NHL team...B) a much younger AHL team with more than a prospect or two and C) some decent looking prospects in junior and college...We have accomplished these and we'd be foolish IMO to start trading off picks and prospects now. I'm hoping we resist the seduction of winning the east at the expense of continual building of the base and the organizational system that's finally in place.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
And a short while ago, folks said that Beauchemin would NEVER get us Lupul and Gardiner.

The Player needs to be available though. What motivation would Calgary have to move Giordano?

Crustacean

Feb 8, 2009
I'd be open to trades, though at this point, there isn't a lot out there that would peak my interest. When it comes to the leafs, I think we have a team that could go deep in the playoffs if they play like we know they can. Or, we could be that stinker team like we against Florida. I'm not sure there is a single player that would change that.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
I think the only moves we might see is either Bolland or Kulimen shipped out, and possibly add a depth d-man. Other then that, think we stand pat. Probably a slow TD day.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Meh. I said someone LIKE Giordano. Doesn't have to be him. Could be Robidas. Could be Girardi.

A good shut-down guy.

You did, my mistake.

I agree, any of that type are needed and I believe will be Nonis' target.

Durkin67

I'm curious as to what most fans seem to prefer at this juncture (over the next 2 to 3 years). There are three main ways the team can go at this time. 1.Keep all or most picks, especially firsts, develop the young players and prospects and make a few judicious trades... 2. Trade players and/or prospects,sign some UFA's, including our own, filling in the major holes in the lineup and try to take advantage of a weak Eastern Conference and go for it now... 3. A hybrid of the two strategies whereby you compromise between the two.

1. Decide whether Kadri or Bolland is your future 2C. trade accordingly.
2. Decide wheter a Rielly /Gardiner pairing is a future top 4 D pairing, and trade accordingly.
3. Admit that Bernier is your uncontested starter, and trade accordingly.
4. Acknowledge Kulemin is not returning, and trade accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
I predict a very quiet trade deadline for us. Possibly a trade or 2 involving our UFA's but even then I doubt it.

As long as we don't go overpaying for rentals (which I don't think Nonis will do) i'm happy.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I think the only moves we might see is either Bolland or Kulimen shipped out, and possibly add a depth d-man. Other then that, think we stand pat. Probably a slow TD day.

Why would we move Bolland and Kulemin? We're 1 point out of 2nd place in the division! I don't understand the thinking of some posters on here. Please explain why you think we might move Bolland and Kulemin? And please don't say because their UFA's a team who is gunning for home ice advantage in the playoffs doesn't trade UFA's for picks or prospects. What kind of stupid message is that to the team? Could Kulemin and Bolland over-price themselves to us, sure but you don't trade them because of that reason, you keep them for the stretch run and playoffs and go from there. If they walk they walk, you deal with it. The last thing you do though is handicap your team who's fought extremely hard all year to get where they are. That would a pathetic move on Nonis's part, and I'm confident it would be a season killer.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
... Agreed. I am a proponent of staying the course also.We have holes obviously but most teams do.Five years ago I had hoped we'd A) have a younger NHL team...B) a much younger AHL team with more than a prospect or two and C) some decent looking prospects in junior and college...We have accomplished these and we'd be foolish IMO to start trading off picks and prospects now. I'm hoping we resist the seduction of winning the east at the expense of continual building of the base and the organizational system that's finally in place.

I think we should do the opposite.

The ideal trade would be with a team that wants to win now, and has a highly touted prospect who won't help them this year. Maybe something like Rielly was a year ago.

We get "Rielly", or some kind of package with him being the centrepiece, and give back something built around Lupul that helps them win now. Lupul is the main guy because he can help win now but with his injury problems and age, his value will likely never be higher and he will not be a big part of our team when we are ready to contend (at the earliest maybe 3 years away). Other pieces we could give up are Kulemin, Reimer, Franson, maybe Bolland too, I'd be open to that as well depending on what we get back.

Could be a win-win scenario. Our guys help another team win the cup, we take a step back short-term, but a couple of years from now we will be much stronger for it.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I don't understand why Bolland's name is being discussed. If Nonis trades Bolland because A.) He's a UFA or B) Because he's over-priced himself for the team, than Nonis is an idiot. You do not handicap your team this late in the season. Unless your a bottom feeder if you have UFA's on your team you use them for depth and a playoff push. You make your moves in the off-season not in the middle of a playoff race. Dumb dumb dumb.

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
Honestly the Leafs need to make a one deal maybe two. I would like to see if Nonis can bring in another defensive defense man ( a younger Gleason like player), we have too many OFD and would trade Franson(RFA) to a team struggling at the PP in exchange for solid gritty stay home player.
Teams to look at: Phoenix- Stone. Dallas- Dillon Vancouver-Tanev or Bieksa Carolina-Bellemore Florida-Kulikov ( not gritty but solid)or Gudbranson or Gilbert New Jersey- Fayne Volchenkov or Urbom
Some of these players are not as defensive as Gleason but would be better than Franson and if it means adding a piece Raymond would be just that tbh or a mid level prospect

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't understand why Bolland's name is being discussed. If Nonis trades Bolland because A.) He's a UFA or B) Because he's over-priced himself for the team, than Nonis is an idiot. You do not handicap your team this late in the season. Unless your a bottom feeder if you have UFA's on your team you use them for depth and a playoff push. You make your moves in the off-season not in the middle of a playoff race. Dumb dumb dumb.

Short term thinking.

You make any deal anytime that will help you toward your ultimate goal. In the middle of a playoff race can infact be the ideal time to deal if there are teams that lose their objectivity because of the pressure to win now. We can be one of those teams, or we can try to take advantage of them.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
only minor changes will be done as we don't have room to do anymore but I would like to have moves where it means Ashton, holland, Bodie, D'Amingo and even Leivo play permenantly on the Leafs as its been proven recently our team is allot better when this is the case.
I agree with tragind Reimer, Franson or Kulemin but only if it means we get a very good return. Dont understand the Bolland name coming up, let him return and evaluate how valuable he is to this team because if he comes back and is good as before the injury why would you trade him? Keep the good, get rid of the bad (Clarkson, McClaren). We have enough scoring in top 6 we just have to get the hard working bottom 6 set!

Marlies D good enough for last D man? A Girardi is ideal but another Gleason type would do the trick to allow the young offensive D's to play their game and make mistakes they need to make. I would keep Raymond, really like his game, clever with the puck

I vote: Make room to bring Komorov back, move Clarkson's contract (Nothing would make me happier to have Clarkson prove me wrong but turning into one of Leafs worse ever signings), maybe move Kulemin and Franson for the right return and allow Reimer to start somewhere else as he deserves it for a low salary back up!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Based on re-signing your own players to raises and costly UFA expenditures this team has set its window of opportunity to win the Cup within the next 5-6 years.

The rebuild is over but the retooling will continue as winning now is the objective and transactions should align with that.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Based on re-signing your own players to raises and costly UFA expenditures this team has set its window of opportunity to win the Cup within the next 5-6 years.

The rebuild is over but the retooling will continue as winning now is the objective and transactions should align with that.

I hope this is not what Nonis is thinking - if it is we're screwed. Objectively we are a very slightly above average playoff bubble team. It would take a miracle for this team to "win now".

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I can foresee a minor depth move comparable to last year

Trading Mike Brown for a 4th
(McClaren for a 6th?

O'Byrn for a 4th
Depth winger/D for a 4th

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad