Trade deadline's on the horizon. Which way do we go?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Wouldn't be upset to see Bieksa brought in. Would even consider trading Franson and this years first for him.

Gunnar Phaneuf
Gleason Reilly
Gardiner Bieksa
Ranger

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Wouldn't be upset to see Bieksa brought in. Would even consider trading Franson and this years first for him.

Gunnar Phaneuf
Gleason Reilly
Gardiner Bieksa
Ranger

I've thought about this my self, Im fine with moving the 1st in a year where we could make a run but im not sold on losing Franson... he's a big d-man with soft hands and was huge for us in the Boston series last go around... Also his shot is so valuable on the 2nd best PP in the league. He has struggled in his own end though so im not against bringing in Bieska and sitting franson... Talking with Vancouver fans last night they considered a 1st + finn fair value.

Absolutely no to Jagr... if you guys hate Raymond for not being in sync with our offense then just wait to you watch Jagr... Hes a good talent but he is very slow and will slow our offense right down. Our speed is what wins us games and there's only room for one slow guy (Clarkson)

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I don't see us making any noise this year, especially if we match up against Pitt or Bos in the first round. Bieksa would be a nice add, but if you look at this year as another step forward, then saving the assets and signing a guy like Fayne, Stralman, or Stuart to a cheaper contract than Bieksa gets, getting comparable defense or better, would likely benefit us better in the long run. Any of those three would be a huge upgrade on Franson and Ranger defensively, which lets us trade Franson for an upgrade elsewhere and either resign Ranger to another cheap #6/7 contract or bring up Percy/MacWilliam for spot duty to ease them in.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Deal the UFA's, call up prospects and continue the rebuild.

I think it's fairly easy to see we're well past "re-building." We made the playoffs last year! what's their to re-build? We're trying to keep building not re-build. Getting rid of Bolland and Kulemin would be idiotic. Bolland has won 2 cups for a reason..yeah let's just trade him and bring up some kid from the Marlies..let's just never improve and keep constantly turning the roster over with kids..GREAT IDEA!

Here's a thought. How about we stand pat, try and re-sign Bolland and Kulemin, keep our picks and draft more prospects and keep the cupboards full? Best of both worlds. Keep improving the club's prospect pool and make smart schrewd moves like Nonis is doing. There's no reason to trade Bolland and Kulemin at this time.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
No thanks to Bieksa. He would be Franson #2 on this team. All offence and no D. We need a rock on our bottom pairing not another bone head who is out of position half the time. If we can get another Gleason type on the cheap I'd do that but Bieksa is going to cost us our first rounder and it's simply not worth it.

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
This isn't the year to be going all in and trying to make a massive improvement at the expense of picks, prospects and young players. We have a young team enjoying some success. Time is on our side - young players tend to get better with experience.

All 1st Round picks should be held onto unless there is a great deal for a young, emerging player that fits the makeup of the team.

A minor deal for veteran defensive depth could be a good move going into the playoffs.

There are a lot of teams in striking distance of the playoffs in both Conferences. I suspect there won't be a lot of high profile moves made. Moreover, with the Cap expected to rise there may not be the same pressure to move pending UFAs when you can afford pay increases in the summer.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I've thought about this my self, Im fine with moving the 1st in a year where we could make a run but im not sold on losing Franson... he's a big d-man with soft hands and was huge for us in the Boston series last go around... Also his shot is so valuable on the 2nd best PP in the league. He has struggled in his own end though so im not against bringing in Bieska and sitting franson... Talking with Vancouver fans last night they considered a 1st + finn fair value.

Absolutely no to Jagr... if you guys hate Raymond for not being in sync with our offense then just wait to you watch Jagr... Hes a good talent but he is very slow and will slow our offense right down. Our speed is what wins us games and there's only room for one slow guy (Clarkson)

Trading our first and Matt Finn for Bieksa would be a terrible trade for us. Finn has leader written all over him. He and Percy are the future on the back-end. Both have top 4 potential, we move Finn along with our first for another version of Franson..terrible idea.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
People have to remember unless you're a bonafide star it takes D-men more time to develop than forwards. Finn and Percy are still very young. Just have to have patience and continue to let them grow..making a knee jerk move for a D-man because we want to go farther in the playoffs is completely ignoring the big picture. It's about winning Cups not trading assets just to watch our team go from round 1 to round 2. Finn and Percy are going to be more valuable to this franchise in 2-3 years than Bieksa will this year.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Gunnar Phaneuf
Gleason Reilly
Gardiner Bieksa
Ranger

That 3rd pairing would be pathetically bad in our own zone. Scary to think about actually. Also that would be one very expensive #5-6 D-man.

My pairings would be Gunnar-Phaneuf, Gleason-Bieksa, Ranger/traded player- Rielly. I don't see how you can keep Gardiner and Rielly together, you just can't. If we were to bring in Bieksa you have to pair him with someone who can stay back and help him out when he jumps in the play. Bieksa IMO doesn't fit this team, we need another hard nosed D-man.

Or you move Rielly up with Dion, put Gardiner with Gunnar and have Gleason and Bieksa, or Gleason with Gardiner and Gunnar with Bieksa.

Last edited:

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
Why trade for Bieksa when you already have a right shooting physical defenseman who scores some points and makes bad reads in Franson?

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
People have to remember unless you're a bonafide star it takes D-men more time to develop than forwards. Finn and Percy are still very young. Just have to have patience and continue to let them grow..making a knee jerk move for a D-man because we want to go farther in the playoffs is completely ignoring the big picture. It's about winning Cups not trading assets just to watch our team go from round 1 to round 2. Finn and Percy are going to be more valuable to this franchise in 2-3 years than Bieksa will this year.

You're wrong. Clearly the cupboard is bare. If these guys aren't streaming onto your NHL club a year after they're drafted they're busts and the GM who drafted them is a failure.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Why trade for Bieksa when you already have a right shooting physical defenseman who scores some points and makes bad reads in Franson?

Because Bieksa is better than you are giving him credit for. He is an offensive d, however, his decision making, and experience would allow Gardiner to comfortably play his game. Bieksa is a right handed shot, but also is physical, and can and will drop the gloves. Having both Gleason and Bieksa willing to fight, will allow the Leafs to sit McLaren and Orr. Reality is stay at home, tough right handed D, and young, are nearly non existent in the NHL today. Bieksa's experience alone would be a huge help to the Leafs.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Because Bieksa is better than you are giving him credit for. He is an offensive d, however, his decision making, and experience would allow Gardiner to comfortably play his game. Bieksa is a right handed shot, but also is physical, and can and will drop the gloves. Having both Gleason and Bieksa willing to fight, will allow the Leafs to sit McLaren and Orr. Reality is stay at home, tough right handed D, and young, are nearly non existent in the NHL today. Bieksa's experience alone would be a huge help to the Leafs.

Bieksa is overrated by Canuck fans who want to trade him or Edler for a massive haul. Bieksa would be a disaster here and is actually a player that is the complete opposite of what we need. Bieksa is a risk taking, offensive D-man who makes bone headed plays every game. He puts up points yes but we already have a bone head in Franson. What this team needs is another Gleason type of guy. I'd love to have Girardi on this team. Bieksa is not what this teams needs at all.

I think I'd have a heart attack watching both Bieksa and Franson try to out-do each other on who can mess up the most..they would both be disasters in the playoffs..it's horrifying just thinking of that.

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
Because Bieksa is better than you are giving him credit for. He is an offensive d, however, his decision making, and experience would allow Gardiner to comfortably play his game.

His dumb decisions are exactly why he's not an upgrade on Franson. You're selling the guy as some kind of modern-day Yushkevich when in reality he's more of a smallish, oft-injured Franson who doesn't put up as many points and has been making dumb decisions for even longer.

Oh, and he fights now and again. Maybe he can fight guys to get his jockstrap back after they score on us because he botched his coverage again.

Last edited:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
His dumb decisions are exactly why he's not an upgrade on Franson. You're selling the guy as some kind of modern-day Yushkevich when in reality he's more of a smallish, oft-injured Franson who doesn't put up as many points and has been making dumb decisions for even longer.

Oh, and he fights now and again. Maybe he can fight guys to get his jockstrap back after they score on us because he botched his coverage again.

When someone brings up a Canuck player and fighting I just ignore it. The Canucks are a bunch of pansies. Burrows pulls hair and I don't want any Canuck player on this team when we're discussing toughness, 2011 was a pathetic display of team toughness and I don't want Bieksa or any other Canuck player near this team.

Both Bieksa and Edler need partners to help them out when they make their usual game to game bone head plays. The Canucks are going to look to move at least one of them, I really really hope we stay far from either of them.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
When someone brings up a Canuck player and fighting I just ignore it. The Canucks are a bunch of pansies. Burrows pulls hair and I don't want any Canuck player on this team when we're discussing toughness, 2011 was a pathetic display of team toughness and I don't want Bieksa or any other Canuck player near this team.

Both Bieksa and Edler need partners to help them out when they make their usual game to game bone head plays. The Canucks are going to look to move at least one of them, I really really hope we stay far from either of them.

Given how badly the Canucks have been downward "trending" in every facet of the game the last bunch of years, it'd be good to stay away from MOST of their players. They're the Sens of the west, only with worse prospects.

No thanks.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Bieksa would be a great grab but there's no deyning that he would cost a lot to acquire, at least Gardiner along with another piece or two. It would be a tough pill to swallow as Bieksa has been fairly inconsistent year to year.

I would probably rather go with a more underrated move, like trying to get Mike Weaver out of Florida. He's obviously not as good but he would cost a lot less to acquire, he's a veteran and has played fairly well in recent years. I think he could be what we need on that 2nd pairing next to Gardiner or Rielly. He adds no offence whatsoever but brings everything else.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Given how badly the Canucks have been downward "trending" in every facet of the game the last bunch of years, it'd be good to stay away from MOST of their players. They're the Sens of the west, only with worse prospects.

No thanks.

Id be all over Hamuis personally... and because of our win now situation I would overpay... I just feel like they could go on a serious run. The time is now.

Dan Hamhuis - Dion Phaneuf

could be the pairing that puts over the top... also lets Gunnarson and Gleason be the defensive anchors on the bottom 2 pairings with Reilly, Gardiner, Franson filling out the last 2 spots.

Simcoe23

Feb 2, 2011
Id be all over Hamuis personally... and because of our win now situation I would overpay... I just feel like they could go on a serious run. The time is now.

could be the pairing that puts over the top... also lets Gunnarson and Gleason be the defensive anchors on the bottom 2 pairings with Reilly, Gardiner, Franson filling out the last 2 spots.

I'd hate to see what we would have to give up for Hamhuis though. These two franchises can't make deals easily it would seem and my personal strong dislike for the Canucks (I basically hate them) makes me think it's best to look elsewhere for fear of their culture/presence leaking into our room. That franchise is heading for a downward trend IMO and I hope somewhere along that ride someone beats the snot out of Burrows. He's the biggest POS in the league- and that's saying a lot with the likes of Marchand out there to choose from.

edit: in response to the thread. Deal all UFA, don't trade any picks and bring up young guys. If there is a deal to be made at the draft, go for it, but forget the deadline deals- you always overpay.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Let's win a round first before we go all crazy about "win now mode" and trading all our prospects and picks like it's 2002 and put all our eggs in one basket. This team is on the right path, we have a good young core that is getting better each year, we can't overreact just because we made the playoffs for the first time in 8 years last season. Let's all take a deep breath, enjoy the ride, keep drafting keep adding to the core, keep filling the cupboards and when it's time then we'll have enough depth in the prospect pool to make a bigger move, but right now we're definitely not there yet. It would take a ton to get Hamhuis. I wouldn't do it. I like the Weaver idea, nice cheap option, stay at home guy, thats exactly what we need.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I hope this is not what Nonis is thinking - if it is we're screwed. Objectively we are a very slightly above average playoff bubble team. It would take a miracle for this team to "win now".

Mess is just setting himself up to complain no matter what happens. If they trade to win now, he'll criticize them for impatience and not building through the draft. If they don't, he'll complain that cap mismanagement prevented them from making the moves necessary to win.

Mar 26, 2010
Bolland will be back after the olympic break, so unless we have a young blue chipper coming back to us there is no need to make any changes. Nonis already said "I'm not trading our best young players for old players" and if he stands by that, we will be good.

As the roster stands with Bolland back in, the team can make some noise in the playoffs for sure.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Bolland will be back after the olympic break, so unless we have a young blue chipper coming back to us there is no need to make any changes. Nonis already said "I'm not trading our best young players for old players" and if he stands by that, we will be good.

As the roster stands with Bolland back in, the team can make some noise in the playoffs for sure.

Exactly, and then Nonis will assess the team in the off-season to try and improve it even more. To just jump in and trade assets so we can go into "win now mode" it's not smart at all. This is a process, we made the playoffs, this year I'm hoping we can get even more experience and go a bit farther, and then Nonis can take that info and what he saw from the team and make moves based on what we need to go even further. You can't skip steps here, you can't make the playoffs for the first time in 8 years and then all of a sudden say "Hey let's trade all our assets and go get Hamhuis and go get so and so.." it doesn't work.

Getting a guy like Hamhuis will happen in a few years when we're looking for our last piece or two..hopefully. Getting a big name happens usually when contenders are looking for someone to get them over the top, we're not there yet. We're not a Hamhuis away from the cup.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I'm curious as to what most fans seem to prefer at this juncture (over the next 2 to 3 years). There are three main ways the team can go at this time. 1.Keep all or most picks, especially firsts, develop the young players and prospects and make a few judicious trades... 2. Trade players and/or prospects,sign some UFA's, including our own, filling in the major holes in the lineup and try to take advantage of a weak Eastern Conference and go for it now... 3. A hybrid of the two strategies whereby you compromise between the two.

#3 is a terrible strategy. You have to pick a plan, and go for it.

Compromise is best described as an agreement between two or more parties over something that none of them wanted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad