Trade Deadline day approaches (quarantine reduced)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
With deadline day approaching I have revamped my list of possible targets.

Forwards:
Foligno $*
Jenner $
Palmieri *
Woods $
Glendening
Sorensen *
Laughton *$

Defense:

Montour *
Ekholm $
Dunn

Goalies:

Driedger *$
Dubnyk
Bernier *

I have put a * by the most likely to acquire and a $ beside most sought after, but highest price. Some will have both.

Let me know your thoughts.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Ok....who's been messing with our cap hit ? :sarcasm:

CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $1,758,712
DEADLINE CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $2,164,569

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Insider Trading: The latest on Taylor Hall, Josh Manson, and Henrik Lundqvist - TSN.ca

LeBrun: Hall has struggled with only two goals on the season, although certainly with a team that has struggled around him as well.

One guy who has nine goals and 21 points on the season is Mike Hoffman, a pending UFA who could also be on the move. The St. Louis Blues are not out of contention but we know from GM Doug Armstrong's history, that he's not worried about trading pending UFAs when his team underachieves. He traded Kevin Shattenkirk at the deadline in 2017 despite being in a playoff spot. He traded Paul Stastny to Winnipeg in 2018 despite being a point out, and word is, from talking to different teams around the league, that he's open to potentially moving some pending UFAs. The Blues have disappointed. Hoffman would be one, perhaps Tyler Bozak is another.

Seravalli: From one team in St. Louis who has had a disappointing season to another in the Calgary Flames. And the sense is that all is quiet on the Flames' front at the moment. I think there are a couple teams that are wondering if they might be able to get ahead of the roster reconstructive surgery that seems so apparent in the summer, with guys like Sean Monahan and Johnny Gaudreau. And I think Flames GM Brad Treliving is open to doing just about anything at this point, but deals like that typically wait until the off-season.

In the meantime the Flames are taking calls and have received interest on pending UFA goalie David Rittich. It's been a little bit more quiet for a guy like centre Derek Ryan and some of the Flames’ other lower-priced pending UFAs. But at this point, all things point to probably a pretty quiet deadline in Calgary.

Right shot defenceman always seem to be in pretty high demand and there might be a pretty good one available for the right price?

LeBrun: It's going to have to be a high price. The Anaheim Ducks over the years have really not wanted to take calls on Josh Manson. They really like the guy, they still do. But he has a year and a half left on his deal and frankly, where the Ducks are in the standings and where they're going with the youth movement, they are listening.

They've had a few calls on Manson but teams are going to have to step up. We're talking top prospect and a first-round pick to get your hands on Manson, whose rugged game certainly is accentuated during the playoffs.

Teams that are believed to have shown interest over the last few weeks are Winnipeg and Carolina, but again, they're going to have to pay a price to get him out of Anaheim.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
The St. Louis Blues are not out of contention but we know from GM Doug Armstrong's history, that he's not worried about trading pending UFAs when his team underachieves. He traded Kevin Shattenkirk at the deadline in 2017 despite being in a playoff spot. He traded Paul Stastny to Winnipeg in 2018 despite being a point out, and word is, from talking to different teams around the league, that he's open to potentially moving some pending UFAs. The Blues have disappointed.
Based on this I'm not sure why pending UFA Jaden Schwartz has not at least been mentioned, even if it's just to clarify his situation, as he's the best pending UFA outside of a playoff spot right now.

From a legitimate source, this is the most recent info I could find on Schwartz: Blues hope to get Schwartz signed — The Fourth Period.

March 11:
"The St. Louis Blues would like to get forward Jaden Schwartz locked up to a new contract, but the two sides aren’t rushing into any decision just yet.
According to a source close to the organization, TFP has learned the Blues have held preliminary contract talks with Schwartz’s camp.

Schwartz, 28, is in the final year of a five-year, $26.75 million contract and is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent this July if he does not sign an extension with the Blues. He also owns a 15-team no-trade list.
The 14th overall pick in the 2010 NHL Draft has not played since Feb. 12 and has been sidelined with a lower body injury.
Given the economic climate of the NHL, it may be in both sides’ best interests to wait until the off-season before truly diving head-first into contract negotiations, but the parties seem to have already laid out early groundwork on a potential extension and the Blues would certainly like to get him inked to a new deal.
In 14 games with the Blues so far this season, Schwartz has registered two goals and seven assists for nine points."

At that time, the Blues and everyone else, probably thought they were a playoff lock even if they weren't way out yet:
1. Vegas 33pts, 23gp
2. St. Louis 32pts, 26gp
3. Minnesota 31pts, 24gp
4. Colorado 30pts, 24gp
5. Arizona 28pts, 26gp
6. LA 26pts, 25gp
7. Anaheim 22pts, 27gp
8. San Jose 21pts, 23gp

Fast-forward: their playoff odds are slim, unless they're very confident on these contract negotiations, I'd think he'd be placed on the trading block... he's no longer worst-case-scenario a rental for their playoff run because that looks unlikely; he's either going to be signed or gone for nothing if they don't trade him by April 12th.

Alex Iafallo probably in a similar situation.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Insider Trading: The latest on Taylor Hall, Josh Manson, and Henrik Lundqvist - TSN.ca

LeBrun: Hall has struggled with only two goals on the season, although certainly with a team that has struggled around him as well.

One guy who has nine goals and 21 points on the season is Mike Hoffman, a pending UFA who could also be on the move. The St. Louis Blues are not out of contention but we know from GM Doug Armstrong's history, that he's not worried about trading pending UFAs when his team underachieves. He traded Kevin Shattenkirk at the deadline in 2017 despite being in a playoff spot. He traded Paul Stastny to Winnipeg in 2018 despite being a point out, and word is, from talking to different teams around the league, that he's open to potentially moving some pending UFAs. The Blues have disappointed. Hoffman would be one, perhaps Tyler Bozak is another.

Seravalli: From one team in St. Louis who has had a disappointing season to another in the Calgary Flames. And the sense is that all is quiet on the Flames' front at the moment. I think there are a couple teams that are wondering if they might be able to get ahead of the roster reconstructive surgery that seems so apparent in the summer, with guys like Sean Monahan and Johnny Gaudreau. And I think Flames GM Brad Treliving is open to doing just about anything at this point, but deals like that typically wait until the off-season.

In the meantime the Flames are taking calls and have received interest on pending UFA goalie David Rittich. It's been a little bit more quiet for a guy like centre Derek Ryan and some of the Flames’ other lower-priced pending UFAs. But at this point, all things point to probably a pretty quiet deadline in Calgary.

Right shot defenceman always seem to be in pretty high demand and there might be a pretty good one available for the right price?

LeBrun: It's going to have to be a high price. The Anaheim Ducks over the years have really not wanted to take calls on Josh Manson. They really like the guy, they still do. But he has a year and a half left on his deal and frankly, where the Ducks are in the standings and where they're going with the youth movement, they are listening.

They've had a few calls on Manson but teams are going to have to step up. We're talking top prospect and a first-round pick to get your hands on Manson, whose rugged game certainly is accentuated during the playoffs.

Teams that are believed to have shown interest over the last few weeks are Winnipeg and Carolina, but again, they're going to have to pay a price to get him out of Anaheim.
I cant imagine Manson has any value anymore, in fact at 4.1 million he's probably a cap dump.

Since his breakout year in 2017-2018 he's seen his usage steadily decrease, by the end of last season he lost his role on the second pair to Gundbranson and this year he's been firmly planted on the third pair.

3rd pair D, toughness, PK, offensive black hole - he's basically Bogosian but making 4.1 million for another year.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I cant imagine Manson has any value anymore, in fact at 4.1 million he's probably a cap dump.

Since his breakout year in 2017-2018 he's seen his usage steadily decrease, by the end of last season he lost his role on the second pair to Gundbranson and this year he's been firmly planted on the third pair.

3rd pair D, toughness, PK, offensive black hole - he's basically Bogosian but making 4.1 million for another year.

Isn't he playing with Drysdale on teh 2nd pairing?

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Isn't he playing with Drysdale on teh 2nd pairing?
Firmly on the third pair was probably too strong, based on usage I'd call that the third pair (I don't know what's on the lineup card) but they do use the bottom 4 fairly evenly, but this 8s with their #1D out of the lineup.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Why do people still want Glendening?
He's not a great player but he'd serve a purpose. Hes good defensively and would be an upgrade at 3C. That being said, I dont think he, and any combination of Kerfoot, Mikheyev and Engvall would be some sort of shutdown line, but we'd be better defensively with Glendening then without.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Corson was just on Chiclets. One of my fav all time Leafs. loved him shutting down Yashin. We could use one of him, not to mention a Trent Green and Gary Valk.
Closest to Corson is Foligno. I think him on a third line with Engvall and Mikheyev could be an effective shutdown line.
Grab Iafallo to play with Willie and JT.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Any forward trade we make should be to make the HEM line possible. A player good enough to play the wing top 6 and take that responsibility away from Hyman.

XXX Matthews Marner <-- this line needs someone who can hustle and compliment M&M.
Gally Tavares Nylander <-- this line is working. It feels like the production of this line went up ever since Gally joined
Hyman Engvall Mikheyev <-- awesome line

vs

Hyman Matthews Marner <-- very good first line
Gally Tavares Nylander
XXX Engvall Mikheyev <-- without Hyman this line goes from HEM to meh.

Maybe Robertson could serve as that XXX addition to the first line.

Reactions: aingefan

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Any forward trade we make should be to make the HEM line possible. A player good enough to play the wing top 6 and take that responsibility away from Hyman.

XXX Matthews Marner <-- this line needs someone who can hustle and compliment M&M.
Gally Tavares Nylander <-- this line is working. It feels like the production of this line went up ever since Gally joined

vs

Gally Tavares Nylander

I have never, and will never like Hyman on the top line.
he is relentless and a fierce forechecker, BUT, he also cannot make a pass with any speed, so Matthews gets into an open spot, and the pass doesnt come, he adjusts and gets into another shooting spot, and the pass doesnt come, then Hyman dribbles a shot wide or loses the puck and all the effort of getting open is wasted and chances lost.

this happens at least one of every 3 shifts... dont believe me, watch for it in the next game, and you'll see!

...and Hyman on the PP is just as bad or worse. he blocks shots from the point when in front of the net, and then cant find the puck, because his reaction time is too slow, and his passing ability is null.
Gally has a great one-timer (and shot) and Hyman is on the PP ahead of him... thats insanity.

I love him in his role, but his role shouldnt be as a primary goal scoring option (i.e. top line or any PP)

Reactions: freshwind

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I have never, and will never like Hyman on the top line.
he is relentless and a fierce forechecker, BUT, he also cannot make a pass with any speed, so Matthews gets into an open spot, and the pass doesnt come, he adjusts and gets into another shooting spot, and the pass doesnt come, then Hyman dribbles a shot wide or loses the puck and all the effort of getting open is wasted and chances lost.

this happens at least one of every 3 shifts... dont believe me, watch for it in the next game, and you'll see!

...and Hyman on the PP is just as bad or worse. he blocks shots from the point when in front of the net, and then cant find the puck, because his reaction time is too slow, and his passing ability is null.
Gally has a great one-timer (and shot) and Hyman is on the PP ahead of him... thats insanity.

I love him in his role, but his role shouldnt be as a primary goal scoring option (i.e. top line or any PP)
I would have agreed with this assessment on Hyman before last season, but he's started to do some valuable things so well. He was always a relentless forechecker, but until last year he rarely won puck battles to be able to do anything useful with the puck and really just tied it up long enough for reinforcements to arrive, but he's started to take on multiple defenders and come away with pucks cleanly.

He's now great on the cycle and is an independent scoring threat that demands attention. I agree that he's not going to score a lot from outside of 20 feet, and that he's not going to make a lot of crisp long passes, but all that Marner/Matthews need in a linemate is someone who will:
- not let plays die on their stick constantly
- draw some attention, especially when they have the puck to let the dangerous guys get open
- help to maintain offensive zone possession

If Hyman's doing that at an affordable cap rate, that's a huge win for us.

He's actually playing very similarly to Thornton at the beginning of the season when he helped that line to be so dominant - just get it in, play keep away and let the defense make a mistake that leaves one of Marner or Matthews open, repeat.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Im thinking Derek Ryan is one of the Plan B target, deal can happen late on deadline day since he would not have to quarantine

Reactions: zeke

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Didn't they say they would get an update on Andersen today? It might be the day the Leafs have to make a decision...

Last edited:

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Why do you feel that way?

@zeke Cant get over the fact that Dubas mindset has changed. It's clear based off the off-season additions we made....Dubas's mindset has been to add more Grit and leadership both on the ice and off the ice for the leafs....compared to soft analytical players.

I told Zeke and others that Taylor Hall isn't a fit for us, even though they've been clamoring for him. And it looks as if the LEafs aren't interested in Hall according to the latest reports.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
If we can add Foligno and Oleksiak...I call that a successful deadline. Would be ready to go into war for the Playoffs.

Hyman - Mathews - Marner
Galchenyuk - Tavares - Nylander
Foligno - Engvall - Simmonds
Mikheyev - Kerfoot/Thornton - Spezza

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Oleksiak - Bogosian
Dermott

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
@zeke Cant get over the fact that Dubas mindset has changed. It's clear based off the off-season additions we made....Dubas's mindset has been to add more Grit and leadership both on the ice and off the ice for the leafs....compared to soft analytical players.

I told Zeke and others that Taylor Hall isn't a fit for us, even though they've been clamoring for him. And it looks as if the LEafs aren't interested in Hall according to the latest reports.

Glendening stinks.

Reactions: LeafChief

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

vs

Gally Tavares Nylander

I agree with this all the way. Hyman is best played on 3rd line. Makes us 3 lines deep. Gives us the element of Berg-Zezel-Osborne line that we sorely miss in the playoffs.

I agree if there is one acquisition that must be made, its to get a winger that can play in the top 6 allowing the HEM line to be reunited. But I feel that Engvall is replaced on that line with Kerfoot who is our best defensive center by a mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad