Trade Deadline day approaches (quarantine reduced)

Status
Not open for further replies.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
this is a proven winner...

Since Hall enters league in 2010 his team 1st round pick and team standing:
2011 1st (finished last)
2012 1st (finished 2nd last)
2013 7th (finished 7th last)
2014 3rd (finished 3rd last)
2015 1st (finished last)
2016 4th (finished 2nd last)
2017 1st (finished 4th last)
2018 17th (Hall's 1st playoffs, team finished 15th overall)
2019 1st (finished 3rd last)
2020 split (Devils finished 6th last)

Problem is those teams were mostly shit before he got there, and they were shit after he left, the Oilers had a monster year after he left but it was because of McDavid and Draisaitl taking the next steps, they could have really used Hall in that run.

He quite literally has never played on a team to this level.

The only thing the Leafs need him to be is to be one of the cogs, not the key cog.

I love Kessel, but in the grand-scheme of things, he did nothing for us. He goes to Pittsburgh and becomes one of the cogs, and they got back to back cups.

Reactions: stickty111

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
The part that still sticks in my brain is that Dubas keeps promoting he his willing to deal a Top Prospect - but most of the available players will not cost top prospects.

Someone completely off the radar?

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I like how this TDL we really have no idea what the Leafs will do. IMO there’s no real “wrong move” per se, I mean there are obviously potential moves that will carry higher degrees of risk with overall team chemistry, but I’d find it hard to be mad with a trade just bolsters our teams overall depth at any position, which is what we need at this point.

Unless the Leafs make a trade that alters the core or brutally damages our prospect cupboard I think Dubas can add to this team without a high risk of losing a trade.

Leafs more than anything need to buy insurance at the deadline in case of injury, which shouldn’t be too expensive to acquire. A swing for the fences type trade for a true top six winger or top four defenseman would be nice, but isn’t necessary. Depending on Andersen Leafs will need to address the goaltending as well.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
yeah I’ll eat crow for sure , I didn’t realize how good he was this year lol. Panthers not really on my radar besides I knew they were playing really well

Mac Weegar is a legitimately good hockey player and also happens to be a friend. He would have been a stud addition for Toronto. No doubt about it.

The guy has been undervalued his entire career. He went undrafted in the OHL Draft and was forced to play Junior B. He only got an open tryout with Halifax because his cousin's (Craig Rivet) agent knew Ducharme. He walked in during the summer, and played top 4 immediately on a Halifax team that won the Memorial Cup. He then returned as the #1 guy the following year when Abeltshauser left and tore it up, again, alongside Drouin, Ehlers, Meier and Fucale... Should have been picked as a mid round guy at the latest, but slipped inexplicably. He only ended up getting drafted because Montreal agreed to trade their late 7th round pick to Florida, for a 7th round pick the following year. Tallon knew Weegar's family and had a hunch that he was worth a shot... And that was just his path to being drafted.

The guy has a great story and is an excellent hockey player.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The part that still sticks in my brain is that Dubas keeps promoting he his willing to deal a Top Prospect - but most of the available players will not cost top prospects.

That's just Dubas saying he's all in.

He's not trading any of the top prospects because of various reasons, but the most obvious ones are they're very good and their contracts will help the team moving forward.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I think if we get Hall, I wouldn't mind trying him on the third line, especially if we go up against the Habs:

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Gally- Tavares - Nylander
Hall - Kerfoot - Mikheyev

The Habs don't exactly have a top line we need the HEM line to shutdown, and third scoring lines could give us the advantage.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I think if we get Hall, I wouldn't mind trying him on the third line, especially if we go up against the Habs:

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Gally- Tavares - Nylander
Hall - Kerfoot - Mikheyev

The Habs don't exactly have a top line we need the HEM line to shutdown, and third scoring lines could give us the advantage.

Thank you thank you thank you. This is what I want. Someone gets it. Matthews and Marner keep their golden retriever and Hall & Kerfoot will feast on their matchups. The speed of that 3rd line would not be able to be contained, especially by their matchups.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I'm not buying a used Lambo so my chauffeur can drive it. Taylor Hall has struggled to produce or be impactful away from other skilled players. No offense to Kerfoot but he sucks.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I really want to see Robertson play a shift with Tavares or Matthews before the season is done to gauge what we have in him.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

People also have different definitions of "top prospects", which is what I said earlier.

Fans on here think our top prospects are just Amirov, Robertson, Sandin, and Liljegren, but Dubas probably considers a guy like SDA or Kokkonen a top prospect as well.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Said it before and I'll say it again.

I want Boone Jenner. Big strong guy who engages in puck battles and has some grit. Powerful dude who protects the puck well and has an really good shot. Doubt CBJ has any interest in moving him though.

Reactions: ACC1224

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

I want Boone Jenner. Big strong guy who engages in puck battles and has some grit. Powerful dude who protects the puck well and has an really good shot. Doubt CBJ has any interest in moving him though.

Any thoughts on guys that are more likely to be moved?

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto

I’d really like Jenner, but he has a year left on his deal, so we’d have to protect him in the expansion draft and lose Holl or just lose him.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
31 Thoughts: Sabres juggling multiple scenarios ahead of trade deadline - Sportsnet.ca

6. Thought it was very interesting that Ottawa started Anton Forsberg in back-to-back games (6-3 over Montreal on Saturday, 4–3 loss to Winnipeg on Monday). He stopped 77 of 84. Maybe I’m too busy reading conspiracy theories, but a showcase is not impossible to believe. He’s a veteran, not expensive, and has shown great professionalism living out of a suitcase through multiple waiver claims. If the Maple Leafs decide they need a goalie?

7. Other goalie names to watch include San Jose’s Devan Dubnyk, Arizona’s Antti Raanta and possibly some of Carolina’s depth now that Petr Mrazek is back. There was a wild rumour the Hurricanes thought about Anaheim’s John Gibson, but that was shot down from multiple places. They’re comfortable with Mrazek.

8. If Toronto decides to go for a depth defender, I could see Dallas’s Jamie Oleksiak being a consideration.

9. Palmieri was with New Jersey at its Tuesday-morning skate. He and the Devils simply are not close on an extension, so we are where we are. I’m imagining a poker game with Adams, Tom Fitzgerald, Lou Lamoriello and several other GMs trying to bluff each other over the same players and similar trade scenarios.

10. I still don’t know what to make of the Bruins. Tuukka Rask is on their road trip, and they know his health better than anyone else. There’s a loyalty to their veterans, and a realization there aren’t many more years for this core. I hear them linked to Palmieri and Hall, but I’ve also heard they don’t think a rental is a good idea for the cost. Now, if they can extend someone or get someone with term, it makes more sense to me. We’ll see.

11. Underrated transaction of the week: Florida sending Vinnie Hinostroza to Chicago for Brad Morrison. It gives Hinostroza a chance to play, but it also clears cap room for the Panthers.

The two teams I’m most curious about heading into the deadline are Toronto and Florida. I believe the Maple Leafs will add; it’s just a matter of what. The Panthers, meanwhile, enter Tuesday tied atop the standings with Colorado.

I believe players decide a team’s course of action, and the players in Florida have shown they deserve to be rewarded. It’s borderline impossible to replace Aaron Ekblad, but I do think they’re considering options big and small.

After I said on Monday’s podcast that they’re going to take a big swing, a couple of sources pushed back, saying the Panthers are taking pains not to rush into anything. They’ve got some interesting decisions: Carry both Chris Driedger and Spencer Knight? Add a scorer like Hall or Palmieri? Go for D?

What I’ve heard is that they want this season’s magic to be a multiple-year thing, and won’t do anything to stupidly jeopardize that.

Reactions: Lumberg

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Lebrun had his 1 on 1 sitdown with Dubas, and as expected Dubas gave nothing away.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Hayes was asking Button if the Leafs shouldn't be looking for a centre replacement in case Tavares or Matthews goes down because then Engvall is our #2 Centre. Before my point, I'll say that A) if any team loses one of their top centres they're in massive trouble and really no trade could prep a team for that, and B) the Leafs have Kerfoot and Spezza that can regularly play centre along with Engvall, and if push comes to shove Nylander could move there as well.

The obvious move would be to trade for a middle six forward who can play centre as well as wing, which I'm sure the Leafs are taking into consideration on their forward search, but one angle I'd look at is the overall impact Matthews and Tavares have on the game in terms of raw talent and pedigree. Matthews is obviously an upper echelon player, but Tavares despite having a "down" season still contributes far more to this team than raw points. If the Leafs wanted to buy insurance in case either of them went down, the best target would be a guy who has shown he can play at an elite game changing level, and that's Taylor Hall.

Obviously Hall isn't a centre, but it's arguable his overall impact on the game when he's at his best is as close as a winger could get to impacting a game like a true #1 C. In this case the Leafs would likely be losing Kerfoot in a trade to make the money work so he'd be out as a centre option (unless Andersen and his cap hit are moved, or he's LTIR'd). In a worst case Ontario scenario where one of our top C's goes down, we could be looking at:

Galchenyuk-Matthews/Tavares-Marner
Hall-Nylander-Mikheyev
Hyman-Engvall-Simmonds
Thornton-Spezza-Petan/Agostino/Barabanov/Whoever

But again, no team plans to have one of their top centres get knocked out for a long time in the playoffs. Just some food for thought.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Would anyone be interested in Bozak as a rental? I think he would be good insurance in the center position and shifted to the wing without injuries. Good history with the team, good in the room, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad