Post-Game Talk: TRADE DEADLINE 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Trading away a guy like Savard who is a solid D, helps our young D and is a great leader to get a pick likely around 28th - 32nd while taking on a toxic player doesn't make a lot of sense.
Why take in a toxic player at the same time Savard would be dealt? Should the toxic asset not be the object of a separate transaction or require its own compensation?

I too would rather keep Savard except in the event of an overpay but the trade scenario as constructed is not an overpay but a dilution of the return.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Yep i don't want to go thru another MB era. Man we had Price, Subban/Weber, Markov, Patch, Plekanec, Petry and we did not go all in. We went for it only at the very end with Toffoli and Perry but *** there was only one year left to that window. I'm still **** mad about it man.
Agreed, I can understand being gun shy in certain situations. BUT, when you have a base like you listed above. That is the time to go for it.

Reactions: Runner77

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Agreed, I can understand being gun shy in certain situations. BUT, when you have a base like you listed above. That is the time to go for it.
When your core is still young sure. I mean when the core is still under 27 yeah i think you can be shy, But once the core is in the UFA range (27+) you should go for it 100% imo. The young players you would pick anyway wont be ready before 5 years and at that point your core will be well over 30. Like right now Suzuki is 24 we should be very patient with picks and young players for at least another 2 years. After that is the base is there go for it.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
When your core is still young sure. I mean when the core is still under 27 yeah i think you can be shy, But once the core is in the UFA range (27+) you should go for it 100% imo. The young players you would pick anyway wont be ready before 5 years and at that point your core will be well over 30. Like right now Suzuki is 24 we should be very patient with picks and young players for at least another 2 years.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The young players you would pick anyway wont be ready before 5 years and at that point your core will be over 30. Like right now Suzuki is 24 we should be very patient with picks and young players for at least another 2 years.
Not always. Could be 2-3 years in some cases. Depends on how well a team drafts. Plus, if some are developing really well but not enough to graduate to the Show, they could still be moved for immediate help.

Bust rate on those developing players is a non-negligible sobering thought.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
When your core is still young sure. I mean when the core is still under 27 yeah i think you can be shy, But once the core is in the UFA range (27+) you should go for it 100% imo. The young players you would pick anyway wont be ready before 5 years and at that point your core will be well over 30. Like right now Suzuki is 24 we should be very patient with picks and young players for at least another 2 years. After that is the base is there go for it.

I understand this line of thinking, but I also think you need to build the team over time. I don't see an issue for the Habs to send some young players/picks for a young player that can grow and build with the team ala Dach.

If we just wait and wait until our core is in "the window" then add a ton of pieces I don't see it working out well. You don't want to act too early, but I think you gradually build up to being a competing team rather than picking a year and loading up.

Reactions: Runner77

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I understand this line of thinking, but I also think you need to build the team over time. I don't see an issue for the Habs to send some young players/picks for a young player that can grow and build with the team ala Dach.

If we just wait and wait until our core is in "the window" then add a ton of pieces I don't see it working out well. You don't want to act too early, but I think you gradually build up to being a competing team rather than picking a year and loading up.
Of course i mean i was talking about acquire older players as rental. Nothing wrong with trading a pick for a signed player close to the same age as your core like 26 and less for us is fine.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
NJ has made Toffoli available.

Considering that:
  • KH and MSL said great things about him and felt bad to trade him
  • the team needs vets with good character and some actual production level
would anyone object to giving up a late pick if it was pre-arranged that Tyler signed a 2 year extension at say $3.4M?

His goal totals since leaving LA have been:
10 GP and 6 G for Vancouver
89 GP and 37 G for Montreal
119 GP and 45 G for Calgary
61 GP and 26 G for New Jersey

279 GP and 114 G Total

This is a consistent 33 goal pace, and we know he has a great attitude and loves Montreal.

I'd pay a 5th or 6th rounder to lock him in for 2 years.

• Haha
Reactions: jellybeans

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We are only 6th points out of 4th last and have a tough schedule to close out the season, with or without Savard we have a good chance at finishing bottom 5.

Last year we finished 5-13-2 in the last 20 (2nd last in the league only ahead of Anaheim) and the year before we also had an identical 5-13-2 in the last 20 which was 2nd last in the league only ahead of Philly.

I like your optimism. I just don't share it. so I'd make moves to give myself the best odds.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Wonder how many of those interested in Guentzel are just in it to drive up the price?

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
My agent just called me and there is interest in my services coming from HF Nashville and HF Arizona. I am not taking this news lying down and I would wish to remain with you but sadly, I don't have a no-move clause. The interest has drummed up considerably after I posted a picture of some carrots in response to @Habs10Habs. I don't know if they think I can be of use in their food threads or maybe farming in the desert is becoming a thing. Feeling nervous here.:sarcasm:

Garry Valk

Feb 27, 2002
thedrivefortwentyfive.blogspot.com
NJ has made Toffoli available.

Considering that:
  • KH and MSL said great things about him and felt bad to trade him
  • the team needs vets with good character and some actual production level
would anyone object to giving up a late pick if it was pre-arranged that Tyler signed a 2 year extension at say $3.4M?

His goal totals since leaving LA have been:
10 GP and 6 G for Vancouver
89 GP and 37 G for Montreal
119 GP and 45 G for Calgary
61 GP and 26 G for New Jersey

279 GP and 114 G Total

This is a consistent 33 goal pace, and we know he has a great attitude and loves Montreal.

I'd pay a 5th or 6th rounder to lock him in for 2 years.
I'd give up more than a late pick. If we are really trying to compete next year, we need more skill and scoring, stat. We also need leadership and experience. And he loved Montreal.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
My agent just called me and there is interest in my services coming from HF Nashville and HF Arizona. I am not taking this news lying down and I would wish to remain with you but sadly, I don't have a no-move clause. The interest has drummed up considerably after I posted a picture of some carrots in response to @Habs10Habs. I don't know if they think I can be of use in their food threads or maybe farming in the desert is becoming a thing. Feeling nervous here.:sarcasm:
...well we are trying to get younger (sorry @OldCraig71 - I couldn't resist it!)

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'd give up more than a late pick. If we are really trying to compete next year, we need more skill and scoring, stat. We also need leadership and experience. And he loved Montreal.
We are not trying to compete next year. KH just hope the kids will progress enough to complete for a playoffs spot. With Dach healthy this year and Allen not in net we would not be that far imo probably 6-8 points off. KH hope the kids will progress and make a difference. I could see him trade for a less than 26 years old player if the opportunity arise but we wont be trying to compete by paying for players over 30 i'm pressure sure of that. We already have enough of that in the lineup.

We are not asking for much only the fountain of Youth.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
That's interesting because my agent told me that I got waived and if I don't get picked up, I would have to report to HF Laval.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
And this is what H10H did with those carrots. :sarcasm: He's been sleeping with one eye open ever since then. :)

415774364_10159531204055918_6142811846400610255_n.jpg

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
First off Nashville and Arizona have HFB pages? :amazed:

Well we can't have that. So I'm setting up a GoFundMe page to raise money to keep you.

Help us keep @OldCraig on HFB Habs!

Oh and @ him to let him know how much he'd be missed. :)

You knew that was coming lol

1709850554196.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad