Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk - LIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'd be very interested in learning why a team with one of the worst center cores in the league, and the worst by far among playoff teams, can't even sign centers like Meyers or McBain.

But on the other hand, then I think about how we acquired Jost to hopefully give him a better opportunity, and he's still playing on the fourth line because for some reason Gaudreau is untouchable on the second line.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I wonder what Guerin is thinking; I always got the impression he wasn't so hot on McBain, because he thought he'd nabbed Meyers, but now that Meyers is out of the picture?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'd be very interested in learning why a team with one of the worst center cores in the league, and the worst by far among playoff teams, can't even sign centers like Meyers or McBain.

But on the other hand, then I think about how we acquired Jost to hopefully give him a better opportunity, and he's still playing on the fourth line because for some reason Gaudreau is untouchable on the second line.

MN is all full up on centers is why.
-JEE for long term.
-Hartman for 2 more years.
-Freddy G for another season.
-Jost for another season and is a RFA.
-Rossi on an ELC.
-Then there is the Bjugstad (probably re-signed for cheap next year), Dewar, Shaw, etc. as the pressbox and callup options.

These aren't good centers by any means, but the GM seems really tied to "his guys".

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Like my position on McBain, I disagree wholeheartedly saying it is the Wilds fault for not making Meyers sign. From all of Russo's mentions, he was given the star tour of the team and pitched multiple times.

You can't FORCE college players to sign when there is a max ELC allowed. So unless we know what exactly their pitch was, its up to the player to decide where they want to live and how they project their own career trajectory.

Reactions: BagHead

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Like my position on McBain, I disagree wholeheartedly saying it is the Wilds fault for not making Meyers sign. From all of Russo's mentions, he was given the star tour of the team and pitched multiple times.

You can't FORCE college players to sign when there is a max ELC allowed. So unless we know what exactly their pitch was, its up to the player to decide where they want to live and how they project their own career trajectory.

Isn't there some wiggle room in terms of bonuses? Also wasn't there some rumors that Minnesota hated giving out signing bonuses?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
MN is all full up on centers is why.
-JEE for long term.
-Hartman for 2 more years.
-Freddy G for another season.
-Jost for another season and is a RFA.
-Rossi on an ELC.
-Then there is the Bjugstad (probably re-signed for cheap next year), Dewar, Shaw, etc. as the pressbox and callup options.

These aren't good centers by any means, but the GM seems really tied to "his guys".

"Full up on centers" just like every other team in the league. Can't see this as a valid reason when he just signed with Colorado who has much better centers than we do. We, as a group, need to find a better reason. None of the centers on your list are good enough to not be replaced by someone better.

Who said it's all the Wild's fault for not forcing Meyers to sign?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
"Full up on centers" just like every other team in the league. Can't see this as a valid reason when he just signed with Colorado who has much better centers than we do. We, as a group, need to find a better reason. None of the centers on your list are good enough to not be replaced by someone better.

I don't disagree, but I'm not the one in charge of the team.

For all we know it could be something as simple as GMBG giving off "okay boomer" vibes to these young whippersnappers.

okay-boomer-30fa57f200.jpg

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, Guerin isn't impressing me. Can't sign McBain, or Meyers, yet has time to give Goligoski not one, but two more years?

Reactions: thestonedkoala

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't disagree, but I'm not the one in charge of the team.

For all we know it could be something as simple as GMBG giving off "okay boomer" vibes to these young whippersnappers.

That's what I'm trying to speculate on/comment about. I highly doubt the reason McBain and Meyers didn't want to sign is because we're "full on centers" or because we won't give them top six time like some here have speculated. So what else is left? Management? Coaching? The weather? The fact that Colorado and Arizona have legalized weed and Minnesota hasn't? The jersey colors? The availability of Mexican food?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Young guys gone:
McBain
Kahkonen
Sturm
Fiala
Lindberg

Young guys signed:
Chaffee
Boldy
Firstov

I have a feeling this has to do with the bonuses and how Minnesota is structuring pay.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
No, he’ll fit right in being he can help a team succeed in the regular season and never do anything in postseason.
Well, one out of two is better than the Wild have managed. Weird take, but I am surprised he didn't sign here.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Young guys gone:
McBain
Kahkonen
Sturm
Fiala
Lindberg

Young guys signed:
Chaffee
Boldy
Firstov

I have a feeling this has to do with the bonuses and how Minnesota is structuring pay.

What an asinine post..

You include a guy like Fiala, who is still playing for us and then you bring up Kahkonen and Sturm who brought back a similar aged player and a younger player respectively who conveniently aren't listed. Not to mention McBain who realistically brought back a younger player via draft pick. You also don't mention the franchise record breaking young forward who Billy G signed.(Kaprizov)

What a bad post.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
That's what I'm trying to speculate on/comment about. I highly doubt the reason McBain and Meyers didn't want to sign is because we're "full on centers" or because we won't give them top six time like some here have speculated. So what else is left? Management? Coaching? The weather? The fact that Colorado and Arizona have legalized weed and Minnesota hasn't? The jersey colors? The availability of Mexican food?
I mean, that's why I would sign in the Pacific West.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Cant really be too upset over losing something you never had, He got to choose where he wanted to play and it wasnt here, Would it of been nice? Absolutely but hes 23 whos spent his entire life in MN I cant fault him for wanting out, I peaced outta MN at the first chance I could

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
What an asinine post..

You include a guy like Fiala, who is still playing for us and then you bring up Kahkonen and Sturm who brought back a similar aged player and a younger player respectively who conveniently aren't listed. Not to mention McBain who realistically brought back a younger player via draft pick. You also don't mention the franchise record breaking young forward who Billy G signed.(Kaprizov)

What a bad post.
I guess my post was a little bit above your thought level, so let me break it down for you:

Guerin struggled to sign Fiala long term - either he didn't think Fiala was important to the organization or he just flat out didn't like Fiala or his contract negotiations. There is a lot of history there between Fiala and Guerin. But Guerin has made a lot of moves to indicate that Fiala is not going to be back next year and that goes back to Fiala's first negotiations with Guerin and it hasn't gotten any better from there.

Kahkonen brought back Middleton who is going to be a RFA and it'll be interesting to see what Middleton's contract is going to be like. But until Middleton signs (if he signs), I won't put him into the category of guys like Guerin has signed. More so, Guerin has again made it very obvious he wasn't impressed by Kahkonen and has gone out of his way to get rid of Kahkonen - just hope that Talbot/Fleury doesn't get injured. Also can't wait to see the next goaltender everyone is going to be excited about and then go through a roller coaster of emotions behind.

Jost is signed, but has been a massive disappointment for the Avs. But he is signed. We'll see IF Guerin brings him back but again Guerin did everything he could to get rid of Sturm.

It's kind of too early to tell if McBain's pick will do anything.

And yeah I did forget about Kaprizov, but that in itself was a circus and a lot of people were criticizing the contract.

I'll remember this in the future though that I have to dumb down my posts.

With that said I do think that the buyouts are going to put a crimp in what Minnesota is going to do because it's hard to plan bonuses for the next season unless you just don't play them.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I guess my post was a little bit above your thought level, so let me break it down for you:

Guerin struggled to sign Fiala long term - either he didn't think Fiala was important to the organization or he just flat out didn't like Fiala or his contract negotiations.
...or Guerin knew that Fiala is a luxury the Wild can't afford after buying out Suter and Parise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad