Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk - 2022-23 Edition - Postseason Success can't be a Myth!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I get what you're saying, but we'd just lost like half the blueline. Trading Dumba wasn't really on the table (and probably still isn't).
We lost half the blue line because of moves made by Guerin though. I’m still of the opinion that Guerin really didn’t try to form any type of relationship with Suter, especially considering he didn’t even ask him if he’d waive his NMC for the expansion draft. I believe both Suter and Soucy could both still be on this team if Guerin had a heart-to-heart with Suter about changing the team culture and going with new leadership. Also, working with Seattle to take Kahkonen over Soucy.

Regardless of if any of the above could’ve happened, moving Dumba would have opened up the ability to sign Fiala to a long-term contract. That contract would’ve looked like a discount after this past season. Then you’d still have the additional cap space to explore replacement defensemen in FA.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
We lost half the blue line because of moves made by Guerin though. I’m still of the opinion that Guerin really didn’t try to form any type of relationship with Suter, especially considering he didn’t even ask him if he’d waive his NMC for the expansion draft. I believe both Suter and Soucy could both still be on this team if Guerin had a heart-to-heart with Suter about changing the team culture and going with new leadership. Also, working with Seattle to take Kahkonen over Soucy.

Regardless of if any of the above could’ve happened, moving Dumba would have opened up the ability to sign Fiala to a long-term contract. That contract would’ve looked like a discount after this past season. Then you’d still have the additional cap space to explore replacement defensemen in FA.
lol What?

"Your attitude sucks. We need it to not suck so we can be a better team" - That would definitely go over well.

Reactions: Ban Hammered

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

I've mostly given up on trying to pick out where things got off track with Guerin. I still think he stumbled out of the gate with the Spurgeon contract, and that was only a few weeks into his tenure here. I still kind of wish Fenton had lasted just long enough to trade him.

What's done is done at this point though, and that goes all the way back to 2011. We'll see this summer if he actually has a plan to navigate these buyouts or it's just going to be 3 years of clinging to the bubble while pitching it as remaining competitive.

Reactions: Spurgeon

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
lol What?

"Your attitude sucks. We need it to not suck so we can be a better team" - That would definitely go over well.
I would hope a General Manager would have the people management skills to be able to sit down and talk to a player about a significant flaw he's identified in the team. Suter was completely blindslided by the buyout and Guerin is quoted to have never asked either Parise or Suter to consider waiving for the expansion draft.

It's apparent that Guerin had his mind made up on one route that he wanted to go and didn't explore any of the alternative options, which seems like it's going to be a common theme of his tenure (i.e. Fiala's eventual departure this offseason).

Reactions: 57special

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
I would hope a General Manager would have the people management skills to be able to sit down and talk to a player about a significant flaw he's identified in the team. Suter was completely blindslided by the buyout and Guerin is quoted to have never asked either Parise or Suter to consider waiving for the expansion draft.

It's apparent that Guerin had his mind made up on one route that he wanted to go and didn't explore any of the alternative options, which seems like it's going to be a common theme of his tenure (i.e. Fiala's eventual departure this offseason).

I don't care how good of a people person you are. If you're dealing with someone as egotistical (IIRC) that Suter was, there's no conversation to be had that doesn't insult that person. Didn't he essentially demand to be played ~30 minutes a night? That's not someone that does things for the good of the team.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's pretty convenient to demonize Suter, Parise, and perhaps Fiala after he leaves. Until this team starts winning playoff series, it's all noise. I'll take a dysfunctional team that hates each other if they win a series or two over a "great bunch of guys" who go one and done, year after year.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
It's pretty convenient to demonize Suter, Parise, and perhaps Fiala after he leaves. Until this team starts winning playoff series, it's all noise. I'll take a dysfunctional team that hates each other if they win a series or two over a "great bunch of guys" who go one and done, year after year.
If the rumors are true, we've certainly tried the former and that hasn't worked either. Not that the latter has worked either.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If the rumors are true, we've certainly tried the former and that hasn't worked either. Not that the latter has worked either.
Well, we they actually did get to the second round twice early on in Suter's and Parise's tenure.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
without competent coaching, a bunch of aholes or a bunch of good dudes will go nowhere. i didnt know until listening through russos presser that we are among league leaders in lack of practices. maybe its the coach in me that finds that to be far worse considering just how bad our special teams are but no matter what group you have, if you are not practicing as often as you can when it comes to special teams, you tend to suck at them. he said it all year that we suck yet didnt demand morning skate be mandatory just to even do a full hour of special teams work?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
- shot has regressed(as has scoring)
Paced for 39 points without prime power play time, his bread and butter. Him playing with Brodin has turned him into more of safe player given who they are out defending against.

In cannot be understated, he played better than everyone not named Brodin or Spurgeon with a broken rib, dislocated rib, and a punctured lung.

If Dumba is not moved, I'd like to see him back on the PP cranking one timers.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Sens fan coming in peace because I'm about 98% sure Pierre Dorion is going to pay whatever it takes to acquire Fiala (he has a bit of a history of falling in love with players and chasing them for years, see Duchene, Matt).

Trying to figure out the Wild's biggest needs as far as prospects are concerned. Is there a particular position group that y'all need filled more than another? Or are you more interested in guys who are close to making an impact given the good season the team had?

#7 overall seems like it would be locked into any trade, I'm just trying to figure out what the other pieces may be (if not Pinto/Greig who are clearly the top 2 guys who might be available).

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Sens fan coming in peace because I'm about 98% sure Pierre Dorion is going to pay whatever it takes to acquire Fiala (he has a bit of a history of falling in love with players and chasing them for years, see Duchene, Matt).

Trying to figure out the Wild's biggest needs as far as prospects are concerned. Is there a particular position group that y'all need filled more than another? Or are you more interested in guys who are close to making an impact given the good season the team had?

#7 overall seems like it would be locked into any trade, I'm just trying to figure out what the other pieces may be (if not Pinto/Greig who are clearly the top 2 guys who might be available).
We still need centers, but more generally we need forwards more than defense.

The NHL roster is actually pretty set for next year, so I don't think they'd necessarily be looking for prospects that are already pushing for a spot. The plan seems to be to add Rossi and maybe Addison next year, which is probably the upper limit of their rookie quota for a season. Maybe Beckman as an injury call-up if he has a strong season in Iowa.

Someone with higher upside that's still a year or two away makes sense to me, personally.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

In order of need from my POV:
-1st line center
-Offensive defensemen
-Quality stop gap goaltender if Talbot is dealt and MAF is signed

Wabit

May 23, 2016
For Fiala's next contract:
-I'm fine with him for anything less than $7.5m/yr.
-In the $7.5m-$8m/yr range I'm on the fence.
-Anything over $8m and I'm trading him.

For Dumba next contract:
-I'm fine with anything less than $4.5m/yr.
-In the $4.5m-$5.1m/yr I'm on the fence. ($5.1m x 5 is Risto's new contract)
-Over $5m.1/yr I'm trading him. I'm also okay with using him a rental for next season and letting him walk as a UFA.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
For Fiala's next contract:
-I'm fine with him for anything less than $7.5m/yr.
-In the $7.5m-$8m/yr range I'm on the fence.
-Anything over $8m and I'm trading him.

For Dumba next contract:
-I'm fine with anything less than $4.5m/yr.
-In the $4.5m-$5.1m/yr I'm on the fence. ($5.1m x 5 is Risto's new contract)
-Over $5m.1/yr I'm trading him. I'm also okay with using him a rental for next season and letting him walk as a UFA.

I don't think we can afford to do this. Otherwise, I agree. But if we're not planning to trade him, we need to get futures for him. We don't have a good enough pipeline to let guys go for nothing.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I think Russo said LA might make sense for Fiala if they are interested. Don’t know who I’d want though from their org.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

C's/ defensive RHD's, and RHS forwards, in the at order . Maybe a backup goalie who has a low cap hit? Doesn't matter if he is aging. Would prevent Guerin from signing Fleury to a contract.

The #7 oa would be the big piece.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think Russo said LA might make sense for Fiala if they are interested. Don’t know who I’d want though from their org.

LA has quite a lot of center and RD prospects they could send. The problem is that none of them are particularly great. I think most project as middle of the lineup guys, and the ones that don't probably won't be included.

Reactions: TanSor

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
C's/ defensive RHD's, and RHS forwards, in the at order . Maybe a backup goalie who has a low cap hit? Doesn't matter if he is aging. Would prevent Guerin from signing Fleury to a contract.

The #7 oa would be the big piece.

Didn't realize goaltender was such a need. A lot is going to depend on the health of Matt Murray and how much faith the team has in a) his ability to remain healthy and b) the depth at that position.

At face value though, the Sens were likely going to carry 3 goaltenders next season, so moving a cheap guy like Gustavsson (with upside) could make sense as part of the deal. Would surely be more than #7 + Gus, but it sounds like that could be an easy way for Ottawa to add a bit of value.

The Senators also have a bunch of B/B+ winger prospects who I'm sure they'd have no problem including (Jarventie, Sokolov, Boucher?, Ostapchuk, Lodin) along with a couple of (relatively) high end RHD prospects (Thomson/Bernard-Docker).

Still feels like the Devils are the biggest threat to a Fiala to Ottawa deal. I doubt the Sens could compete if they put #2 and/or Holtz on the block, but beyond them I think the Sens may be the best fit to give Guerin what he's looking for.

TanSor

Jan 26, 2019
W'scans'n
LA is odd because Vilardi and Turcotte would have been interesting pieces a couple years ago but they are big question marks now. The 19th pick would probably be included. Grans could be a decent piece, especially if the organization doesn't trust Addison (which it seems like they don't). I don't see them moving Clarke or Byfield. I dunno, the 19th pick and one of Grans, Turcotte, or Vilardi isn't the most appealing to me compared to what Ottawa or New Jersey could offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad