Speculation: Trade and Free Agency - 2024-25

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I feel like Lambos is going to get traded and soon; kind of like a Zach Phillips trade.
It may seem like trading low right now, but the Wild would have gotten a better return if they'd traded Phillips immediately after his first year in Iowa, rather than waiting until all doubt about his bust status was removed.

I don't know if Lambos will follow the same path, but his stats and the reports from those who watched Iowa did not build my confidence in him.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I mean he's passed on the depth chart by Brodin, Middleton, Hunt, Merrill/Goligoski, Buium and possibly O'Rourke. If Lambos figured it out on another team great.
It would be poor form to give up on a guy after one pro season. I also don’t agree with O’Rourke being higher on the depth chart.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
I feel like Lambos is going to get traded and soon; kind of like a Zach Phillips trade.
I think it's likely he goes the Beckman route after this season, or even potentially at the trade deadline, unless some big strides are made. They're going to want to remove a stagnating player or two in advance of Healey/Parker/Kiviharju/Pionk at some point.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
It would be poor form to give up on a guy after one pro season. I also don’t agree with O’Rourke being higher on the depth chart.
O'Rourke was the veteran on the team last season and made strides. Lambos hasn't. Hell I remember watching and reading about Lambos at the WJC and how he was benched as he lacked any hockey IQ. And that still rings true today.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I may be completely off-base because I do rely on you guys who do watch the Iowa games but will just say this...

My opinion on prospects solidify as years go on and I give around 3 AHL seasons before I simply give up on a prospect - about the same time an ELC expires and a team has to decide if they want to re-sign him. So the only reason why I'm more hopeful on Lambos vs ROR is purely because Lambos is a year younger (ergo played only 1 AHL rookie season) and ROR is going to be on his 3rd AHL season. I see it as a downward curve. However, they look like both are on the same trajectory of being NHL callups player. Like Mermis/Belpedio.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I may be completely off-base because I do rely on you guys who do watch the Iowa games but will just say this...

My opinion on prospects solidify as years go on and I give around 3 AHL seasons before I simply give up on a prospect - about the same time an ELC expires and a team has to decide if they want to re-sign him. So the only reason why I'm more hopeful on Lambos vs ROR is purely because Lambos is a year younger (ergo played only 1 AHL rookie season) and ROR is going to be on his 3rd AHL season. I see it as a downward curve. However, they look like both are on the same trajectory of being NHL callups player. Like Mermis/Belpedio.
Re: ROR and Lambos. They both obviously were drafted for different things. Lambos has the better physical tools overall due to the above average skating and some offense potential whereas ROR was projected to be the mean throwback stay-at-home D.

I question both of their hockey IQs but in different ways. It was reported last year (can't remember if it was Brett McLean or an assistant or one of the Wild's development guys (Bomber, etc.), but they said ROR doesn't know what his identity is...is it to be the tough stay-at-home guy, is it to join in the rush, etc. I would agree with that assessment last year in that he was trying to think his way through the game, which obviously led to some poor decisions/getting beat/etc. because he was thinking and reacting as opposed to being confident/assertive.

Lambos may just need structure but I think he has the lowest hockey IQ of all the D I watched last year. Again, looks fantastic skating north and south and once every few games, he'd skate the puck out, blow through the neutral zone, and make a great entrance. But between those times, he made absolutely terrible decisions with the puck that would get you benched by the time you get to high school hockey. He would also make very questionable decisions as to when to pinch, when to go cover someone else, and his gap coverage, stick work, etc. were nothing to write home about.

The thing that concerns me with Lambos is that these flaws or weaknesses were noticed his last WJC. Remember, he did not make the team the last year he was eligible. Why was that? And as I have mentioned before, I can't say I saw him make adjustments to his game throughout this season. He was the 6th/7th D by the end of the season and that is because of his play, nothing else. If I am playing the opposite side of my opinion, Iowa had literally no structure, came out flat many games, and didn't have any strong veteran D presence to show him the way so-to-speak (no, none of the guys that played with him had that veteran presence as evidenced by several reports by now and watching most of the season). He may have been trying to do too much (as evidenced by fighting three times when that clearly shouldn't be his role), he may just need a couple more seasons to mature mentally, etc., and he may develop better once the team has better structure/he has better D partners. His N/S skating is already there. He is not weak physically. So, for me, it comes down to whether or not people believe he has smarts/maturity to learn and adapt, or is he just a guy who has physical tools but no brain. I hope he does turn it around, I really do. But I haven't seen any indicators of that thus far...

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Team canada was insanely deep the years he was eligible, keep that in mind.
He made it and got some playing time the year prior. I am too lazy to look it up but once it got to the medal rounds, he made some mistakes (similar to what I have seen in Iowa), was then benched/given less TOI, and then scratched. He then did not make the team the following year. Depth his first year makes sense...but certainly not the second. It is not common for someone to not make the team after having been on it the year prior.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Re: ROR and Lambos. They both obviously were drafted for different things. Lambos has the better physical tools overall due to the above average skating and some offense potential whereas ROR was projected to be the mean throwback stay-at-home D.

I question both of their hockey IQs but in different ways. It was reported last year (can't remember if it was Brett McLean or an assistant or one of the Wild's development guys (Bomber, etc.), but they said ROR doesn't know what his identity is...is it to be the tough stay-at-home guy, is it to join in the rush, etc. I would agree with that assessment last year in that he was trying to think his way through the game, which obviously led to some poor decisions/getting beat/etc. because he was thinking and reacting as opposed to being confident/assertive.

Lambos may just need structure but I think he has the lowest hockey IQ of all the D I watched last year. Again, looks fantastic skating north and south and once every few games, he'd skate the puck out, blow through the neutral zone, and make a great entrance. But between those times, he made absolutely terrible decisions with the puck that would get you benched by the time you get to high school hockey. He would also make very questionable decisions as to when to pinch, when to go cover someone else, and his gap coverage, stick work, etc. were nothing to write home about.

The thing that concerns me with Lambos is that these flaws or weaknesses were noticed his last WJC. Remember, he did not make the team the last year he was eligible. Why was that? And as I have mentioned before, I can't say I saw him make adjustments to his game throughout this season. He was the 6th/7th D by the end of the season and that is because of his play, nothing else. If I am playing the opposite side of my opinion, Iowa had literally no structure, came out flat many games, and didn't have any strong veteran D presence to show him the way so-to-speak (no, none of the guys that played with him had that veteran presence as evidenced by several reports by now and watching most of the season). He may have been trying to do too much (as evidenced by fighting three times when that clearly shouldn't be his role), he may just need a couple more seasons to mature mentally, etc., and he may develop better once the team has better structure/he has better D partners. His N/S skating is already there. He is not weak physically. So, for me, it comes down to whether or not people believe he has smarts/maturity to learn and adapt, or is he just a guy who has physical tools but no brain. I hope he does turn it around, I really do. But I haven't seen any indicators of that thus far...
And I'm sure you are right, and I rely on your guys reports, which is why I have him tracking downwards. The only difference is, I'm giving ROR no benefit of the doubt being on his last ELC year, Lambos has some "blind hope" being on the 2nd ELC year but on the exact same downward path.

To sum up: its likely ROR will bust (or reach his ceiling of a depth dman) by this year, Lambos will hit the same ceiling next year.

So I appreciate your detailed insight in their games, thanks!

Reactions: Jbcraig1883

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Count me as one of the people who isn't ready to write him off after one pro season on a terrible AHL team

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Simon Johansson still not signed after not receiving a qualifying offer; played over130 games for Iowa the past two seasons. Any chance of an AHL contract or more likely is he headed to Sweden?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Simon Johansson still not signed after not receiving a qualifying offer; played over130 games for Iowa the past two seasons. Any chance of an AHL contract or more likely is he headed to Sweden?

Not for Iowa. They just signed 2 vet RD for the AHL and have 2 ELC RD.

I'd guess it's back to Sweden for him. AHL contracts really aren't worth much money.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Not for Iowa. They just signed 2 vet RD for the AHL and have 2 ELC RD.

I'd guess it's back to Sweden for him. AHL contracts really aren't worth much money.

Speaking of which, Filip Johansson is also going back to Sweden next year after one season in Abbotsford

Wabit

May 23, 2016
One or the LD need to be gone Iowa before the season even starts. The are sitting 4 deep for ELC LD, 2 deep for ELC RD, and 2 RD vets were signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad