• Nikita Susuyev

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I agree, Stenberg will be slept on. I have him over Jiricek safely IMO.
Whoever finishes 6th in these polls will have a legit case for getting robbed.* It was like Lindstein finishing 8th a year ago. We had Hofer and 7 1st rounders and Lindstein was the least flashy of those 1st rounders so not overly surprising where he finished but it’s not like the gap between him and spot 2-3 was much.

*not like these players even know or care about these polls but…you get the picture.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Typo that I couldn't correct fast enough to get 2 replies lol... my point still stands.. why not put Neighbors on the list?
HF board definition.

A player will be considered a prospect until he meets the following criteria:

If a prospect is a skater (forward, defenseman) and has played in 65 NHL games or more before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday; or, if a goaltender has played in 45 NHL games before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday, that player will be considered graduated to the NHL. Conversely, if a player completes the season of his 24th birthday without passing those milestones, then that player will no longer be considered a prospect by Hockey’s Future, regardless of the player’s status with his NHL club.

An NCAA player who signs his first contract at or above the age of 22 has three years to meet the above criteria (65/45), while those NCAA players that turn pro under the age of 22 will be subjected to the criteria above.

European players who sign their first NHL contract at or above the age of 22 have three seasons from the time they sign that contract to meet the above criteria. Those European players below the age of 22 that have signed a NHL contract will be subjected to the criteria in section one.

Section one is the meat of the criteria as it will govern the majority of players that vie for a NHL roster spot. Sections two and three are simply an acknowledgement that some prospects arrive on the scene a bit later than their peers, thus needing some time past their 24th birthday to develop into an NHL-caliber player.

The graduated list on team pages will consist of players who are considered graduated to the NHL. A skater prospect may sit on the graduated list until he has played 130 games in the NHL. A goalie prospect may sit on the graduated list until he has played 90 games in the NHL.

NOTE: These are general guidelines and should be followed the majority of the time but certain players may still be listed as prospects if circumstances warrant. Also, for players that are close to either the 65-game (skaters) or 45-game (goaltenders) benchmark but have also clearly "arrived" as NHL players, HF reserves the right to remove these players from consideration as prospects and instead consider these players graduated.

Neighbours- 22 years old, 129 NHL games played
No longer a prospect based on HF criterea because of games played.

Kessel- 24 years old, 41 NHL games played.
Still a prospect by HF criterea.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Typo that I couldn't correct fast enough to get 2 replies lol... my point still stands.. why not put Neighbors on the list?
He was the most borderline inclusion IMO but he played just under half a season with the Blues last season. He seems fairly locked in to earn the 3RD spot but it’s not a guarantee. He’s on a two-way contract with 8 other d-men on one-way contracts.

Kessel has played half an NHL season whereas Neighbours has played 1 1/2 NHL seasons. A year ago, Neighbours sat at 52 NHL GP and we still included him as a prospect. Kessel currently sits at 41 GP.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Nighbours has 88 more NHL games than Kessel. I can see an argument that Kessel shouldn't be a prospect since he does nit qualify as a rookie. But Neighbours is not a good comparable. Neighbours has a full NHL season with no minors, Kessel does not.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
meh apples and oranges.. with Kessel all but guaranteed the 3 RD slot, I just can't view him as a prospect

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I didn't expect him to win this poll, but I'm really surprised at how little love Zack Bolduc is getting here. He's the only one besides Kessel and Dean that have played NHL minutes and he absolutely looked like a legitimate Top 6 forward in his last 15 games. There is still a lot of hope but nothing proven at the NHL level yet for Snuggy, Lindstein and Jiricek.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I didn't expect him to win this poll, but I'm really surprised at how little love Zack Bolduc is getting here. He's the only one besides Kessel and Dean that have played NHL minutes and he absolutely looked like a legitimate Top 6 forward in his last 15 games. There is still a lot of hope but nothing proven at the NHL level yet for Snuggy, Lindstein and Jiricek.
I have Bolduc near the bottom of the next 5, very close with Stenberg. Bolduc did look pretty good but I don't really see him as much more than a third line scoring winger, he could be top 6 but that would surprise me. I feel the other 3, Lindstein, Snuggerud, Jiricek have much better chances of being top of the lineup players which is why I have them ranked higher despite Bolduc already getting his feet wet and not looking out of place.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I have Bolduc near the bottom of the next 5, very close with Stenberg. Bolduc did look pretty good but I don't really see him as much more than a third line scoring winger, he could be top 6 but that would surprise me. I feel the other 3, Lindstein, Snuggerud, Jiricek have much better chances of being top of the lineup players which is why I have them ranked higher despite Bolduc already getting his feet wet and not looking out of place.
I think you (and others) are sleeping a bit on this kid. He has already figured out more in his first partial season about back checking and board play than Kyrou did in his first three years and I believe he has legitimate 30/30/60 potential offensively, especially if his shot is utilized regularly on the PP. To me, that's not the profile of a "third line scoring winger".

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I think you (and others) are sleeping a bit on this kid. He has already figured out more in his first partial season about back checking and board play than Kyrou did in his first three years and I believe he has legitimate 30/30/60 potential offensively, especially if his shot is utilized regularly on the PP. To me, that's not the profile of a "third line scoring winger".
It's certainly possible and I would love if he did become a 30/30 guy, basically I just see the other 3 guys as having a better chance of becoming that kind of impactful player, it's not like he is far behind them though. As many other people have said already the next 5 guys are all very close, I believe Snuggerud can be a 40 goal guy if everything goes right, both Dmen have the potential to be a top pairing guy if everything goes right, if everything goes right for Bolduc he is a 30/30 guy, I value those other things more is all.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
It's very close between Snuggerud and Lindstein. Both of them, I feel, are elite prospects. I just voted Snuggerud because I feel like he could be a consistent thirty-five goal/seventy-five-point scorer with a heavy game, but Lindstein is definitely going to be my vote next time around.

Reactions: LogosBlue

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
It's certainly possible and I would love if he did become a 30/30 guy, basically I just see the other 3 guys as having a better chance of becoming that kind of impactful player, it's not like he is far behind them though. As many other people have said already the next 5 guys are all very close, I believe Snuggerud can be a 40 goal guy if everything goes right, both Dmen have the potential to be a top pairing guy if everything goes right, if everything goes right for Bolduc he is a 30/30 guy, I value those other things more is all.

What specifically do you see as missing with Bolduc? He is a better skater, better vision, and better playmaker than Snuggy. Snuggy has a better shot, but Bolduc's is above average.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
What specifically do you see as missing with Bolduc? He is a better skater, better vision, and better playmaker than Snuggy. Snuggy has a better shot, but Bolduc's is above average.
It's not necessarily that I see anything missing with Bolduc, it's just that I don't think he is as good as Snuggerud. I disagree that he is a better skater, as I think Snuggerud has good speed that he uses to beat opponents on the rush. Bolduc is also more of a perimeter player whereas Snuggerud while not overly physical isn't afraid to muck it up and get in down low and use his strength/size. I do agree with the second two you mentioned though, Bolduc is definitely a better playmaker from what I have seen so far, but the shot is also a big difference whereas I believe Bolduc has a good shot but Snuggy's can be elite. Anyways, like I said it's not like they are far apart or anything, I just see Snuggerud as having a higher ceiling, I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again many times so who knows.

Reactions: Majorityof1

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
It's not necessarily that I see anything missing with Bolduc, it's just that I don't think he is as good as Snuggerud. I disagree that he is a better skater, as I think Snuggerud has good speed that he uses to beat opponents on the rush. Bolduc is also more of a perimeter player whereas Snuggerud while not overly physical isn't afraid to muck it up and get in down low and use his strength/size. I do agree with the second two you mentioned though, Bolduc is definitely a better playmaker from what I have seen so far, but the shot is also a big difference whereas I believe Bolduc has a good shot but Snuggy's can be elite. Anyways, like I said it's not like they are far apart or anything, I just see Snuggerud as having a higher ceiling, I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again many times so who knows.

You may be right (except about the skating, Snuggy needs to work on it more). I just thought it would be good to get a bit more in the weeds on our reasoning, as it is so close. The permiter thing us a good point.

Last edited:

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I see Snuggerud as a much better playmaker than Bolduc. They are both shoot first players, but I think Snuggerud actually has pretty high end vision and a bit more technical passing skill. You see it a lot more through the NZ though as if he has the puck in a scoring area he’s probably firing it. He’s especially good with quick one-touch passes off a loose puck or to initiate give and go.

I also see a bit of an advantage for Jimmy in puck handling skill.

Skating I see as a clear advantage for Bolduc.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
You make a lot of good points but I simply can’t agree Snuggerud is a better or even equal skater to Bolduc. Snuggerud’s top-end speed is fine but his acceleration, agility, shiftiness and edge work all leave quite a bit to be desired. Bolduc easily has him beat in those areas.

Where you make an excellent point though is that Snuggy often attacks the middle of the ice and drives straight to the net a lot. Agree that he’s not overly physical but he protects pucks well and isn’t afraid to get hit or go to the danger areas.

Bolduc isn’t super soft but he is a bit of a perimeter player. Plays a bit more of a passive game.

I’d say their hockey sense is about equal but they approach the game a little differently.

Both have plus shots but Snuggerud’s is his one elite weapon. He’s got the edge there.

A con for both is a bit of lack of versatility. Bolduc is basically locked in at LW and Snuggy at RW. I’m sure both can play their off-wing if really needed but neither seems overly versatile. Bolduc’s the type that will likely almost never make sense on a 4th line and Snuggy may be the same.

Bolduc has already proven himself a bit in the NHL so he’s a slightly safer bet. But in the end, I have Snuggy just ahead of him overall.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I went with Jiricek and wanted to write my response before reading any of the other comments. I completely missed round 1 of voting, but agree that it should be Dvorsky in a landslide.

This one was a real tough call and I went back and forth between Jiricek, Lindstein and Snuggy. I wanted to include Bolduc in that group, but at the end of the day I don't see any path where Bolduc is ever a franchise changing/defining player. I don't think any of these guys will hit that status, but I see narrow paths for Jiricek, Lindstein, and Snuggy. When I think about potential trades, I'm willing to move Bolduc for more guys than I would move any of Jircek/Lindstein/Snuggy. So it came down to that trio.

I went with Jricek because I think he (ever so slightly) has more of a path to being a franchise-changing guy. I wasn't in love with the pick when we made it and there is tangible risk with the injury. But I see so much upside with him and have been coming around on it (despite still wishing we could have gotten further up in the draft to snag a safer D). He's one of the younger guys from the 2024 draft class, so I don't feel like he's too old to be going to the CHL next year. If the knee is fine, I really do see a reasonable future where he looks great in the NHL and jumps back into the conversation with the top 6 D from his draft class like he was before getting hurt.

I think he is the most boom/bust of the 3, but I value ceiling more than floor when we're talking about guys who have never played an NHL game. I'm much more willing to consider a guys floor when he's actually shown me something in the NHL than what I perceive that floor to be from watching at lower levels.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Bolduc grew a lot on me this year and especially during his NHL games.

But I still don't see him as a guy with the potential to hit that truly elite level. He doesn't have a single tool/skill that really wows me at the NHL level. I don't think he's ever going to control a game the was Lindstein or Jiricek potentially could. Part of that is just the nature of being a winger vs a D, but I do consider that when I'm ranking prospects.

Comparing him to our other clear winger Snuggy, I don't see anything in Bolduc's game that is close to the singular skill of Snuggy's shot. I think Snuggy has one of the best 25 shots in the world right now. There are more than a couple NHL teams who don't have a player with as good a shot as Snuggy's right now. That is a concrete transferrable skill to the NHL from any level and the gap between Snuggy's and Bolduc's shot is larger than any other gaps in their games IMO. Bolduc has significantly narrowed the gap between where I had the two of them a year ago and I'm really hoping he is a full time NHLer next year.

I don't disagree with most of what you're saying about him, but that's why I have that trio ahead of him. I'm thrilled to have a guy of his ability in my #5 prospect slot though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad