Speculation: Trade and Free Agency - 2024-25

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Lambos has a shot because of the skating but the lack of progression is certainly concerning.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Peart-Spacek
Lambos-Hunt
O’Rourke-vet

Or how about not playing them off handed? ROR is the one they played offhanded, not hunt.

Lambos is the one I'd sent to the ECHL. He's looking like a worse pick than FJo, at least FJo turned into a 2nd.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Hunt - Crotty
Peart - Cecconi
Lambos/O'Rourke/Spacek

Hunt will be in the NHL if we need a body and they'll have injuries down here so the trio on the 3rd pair probably all get 40+ games in. They didn't pay Cecconi 300k to sit, makes sense to play him with the rookie(Peart). I'd be all for dumping O'Rourke for a late round pick and having some AHL scrub as the 7th but I don't think its a problem.

Reactions: Victorious Secret

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not for Iowa. They just signed 2 vet RD for the AHL and have 2 ELC RD.

I'd guess it's back to Sweden for him. AHL contracts really aren't worth much money.
Actually, if you looked, the vets are making between 375-500K. That's good money. No clue what they pay in Sweden, but they sure as hell get taxed at a higher rate.

I didn't hate SJo's game, but never seemed to be quite imposing enough defensively to get any attention for the big squad.

There is still time for any of our d prospects to develop into a NHL'er. This rushing to judgement is wrong headed. ROR... I agree that he needs to decide what sort of player he is going to be, and also just get stronger. I do like some of his tools, though. None of the D prospects are poor skaters, and some are actually above average. ROR is OK, and his puck handling, while not great, is decent. He is not just a bang it off the boards guys all the time. Also has an ok shot. The thing i am not sure about with him is his mental game. It's not so much that it is bad, but just indecisive. Rossi was like that in his first call up, and many prospects are. Knowing who and what you your game is will help you to make on ice decisions. The better they are, the more effective your game will be. Are you going to be a pinch heavy guy Dman? One who jumps into the rush a lot, or the responsible guy who stays home and covers? There is a place for all types, as long as you do it well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saga of the Elk

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Actually, if you looked, the vets are making between 375-500K. That's good money. No clue what they pay in Sweden, but they sure as hell get taxed at a higher rate.

I didn't hate SJo's game, but never seemed to be quite imposing enough defensively to get any attention for the big squad.

There is still time for any of our d prospects to develop into a NHL'er. This rushing to judgement is wrong headed. ROR... I agree that he needs to decide what sort of player he is going to be, and also just get stronger. I do like some of his tools, though. None of the D prospects are poor skaters, and some are actually above average. ROR is OK, and his puck handling, while not great, is decent. He is not just a bang it off the boards guys all the time. Also has an ok shot. The thing i am not sure about with him is his mental game. It's not so much that it is bad, but just indecisive. Rossi was like that in his first call up, and many prospects are. Knowing who and what you your game is will help you to make on ice decisions. The better they are, the more effective your game will be. Are you going to be a pinch heavy guy Dman? One who jumps into the rush a lot, or the responsible guy who stays home and covers? There is a place for all types, as long as you do it well.

They got paid on the NHL 2-way contract, an AHL contract doesn't pay near that well. It also seems like the stay at home, defensive d-men are the ones that teams look to sign as AHL vets. It makes sense because they are getting tasked with the babysitting duties as the kids try to figure things out.

S.Jo just wasn't good at any one area to separate him. I mean you want him on the PP or PK, he's not a physical presence, and he's not good enough to want his as a potential NHL callup. He's 25 now, so past the normal untapped potential age. He just is what he is as a player; which is a 2nd/3rd pair AHL RD.

I think the coaching change hurt ROR. He seemed to be embracing the stay at home physical d-man under the old coach. Under the new coach he looked like a player in a video game stuck in the middle of a build change. It seemed like every couple of games he had a different partner and was swapped between LD and RD quite a bit. His problems seemed more like he was overthinking things rather than the physical skills. Maybe it's lack of hockey intelligence, coaching/roster mismanagement, growing pains, or something of a combo.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
They got paid on the NHL 2-way contract, an AHL contract doesn't pay near that well. It also seems like the stay at home, defensive d-men are the ones that teams look to sign as AHL vets. It makes sense because they are getting tasked with the babysitting duties as the kids try to figure things out.

S.Jo just wasn't good at any one area to separate him. I mean you want him on the PP or PK, he's not a physical presence, and he's not good enough to want his as a potential NHL callup. He's 25 now, so past the normal untapped potential age. He just is what he is as a player; which is a 2nd/3rd pair AHL RD.

I think the coaching change hurt ROR. He seemed to be embracing the stay at home physical d-man under the old coach. Under the new coach he looked like a player in a video game stuck in the middle of a build change. It seemed like every couple of games he had a different partner and was swapped between LD and RD quite a bit. His problems seemed more like he was overthinking things rather than the physical skills. Maybe it's lack of hockey intelligence, coaching/roster mismanagement, growing pains, or something of a combo.
Again, i was referring to certain veteran AHL contracts. If you look at Cap friendly, you will see that recent signee Brendan Gaunce will be paid 550K in the minors in 24-25 and 25-26.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Again, i was referring to certain veteran AHL contracts. If you look at Cap friendly, you will see that recent signee Brendan Gaunce will be paid 550K in the minors in 24-25 and 25-26.

That is still a 2-way NHL contract, not an AHL contract. Meaning a contract signed only with the AHL team.

S.Jo isn't worth spending slot a the 50 man roster. There just isn't a path for him to be a NHL contributor, and he's not a a stud AHLer to be a leader/mentor. I forget the age limit for AHLers, where teams can only play so many older guys per game.

If he was NA born then he'd be an option for a minor league deal, because there are only so many foreign transfer spots available in most Euro leagues. He from Sweden so he can play in the SHL without a team having to spend one of their slots.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
If we get good goaltending: Top 3 in Central. 105+ points and possible 2nd round fodder.

If we get league average goaltending: the usual Wildcard spot & 1st round fodder.

If we get bad goaltending again: pick 12th-15th.

Reactions: IAHockey25

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I feel pretty confident that under no circumstances are we winning a round against Dallas or Colorado

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I feel pretty confident that under no circumstances are we winning a round against Dallas or Colorado
I feel like we match up much worse with Dallas than we do Colorado, I actually can see us doing ok vs Colorado in a series with their weaker depth and G. Wouldn’t have us as a favorite against either, but I don’t think it would be a blowout. Dallas D is very weak outside of Heiskanen, and they have some young players they will be relying on much like the Wild, so consistency could be a problem. We essentially need all of JEE, Kap, Boldy, Brodin, and Faber to be healthy and playing well to stand a decent chance in the playoffs. And then just hope we get the equivalent of two seasons ago Gus in net.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
ehh... I'm with you, basically, but lightning can strike. CO looked exposed in the playoffs, and I'm not certain that DAL is going to be better w/o Tanev, Pavelski, and Suter. If the impossible happens and we are completely healthy, our goaltending is good, and Rossi, Ohgren, and Marat are all playing well in the top 9, that we can win one series if we get lucky.

I just don't think it's possible that we can win two, nvm more, series.

If kap is healthy then I wouldn't bet against us making the playoffs, because he is simply that good, but I am seeing another lukewarm season in my crystal ball, finishing anywhere from 13- 20th in the league.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
I still see no logic in trading gus, sending flower into retirement and starting a rookie goalie the following season.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Let’s say Kaprizov has a 100+ point season this year and then informs you, the GM in this hypothetical, that he will likely be moving on and has given you permission to seek a trade via waiving his NMC. What is the one type of piece in return you require in a trade?

For me, it’s a prospect or young NHL player to the level of Cutter Gauthier or Dylan Cozens. Anything short of that type of piece is an L in my books. Thoughts?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Let’s say Kaprizov has a 100+ point season this year and then informs you, the GM in this hypothetical, that he will likely be moving on and has given you permission to seek a trade via waiving his NMC. What is the one type of piece in return you require in a trade?

For me, it’s a prospect or young NHL player to the level of Cutter Gauthier or Dylan Cozens. Anything short of that type of piece is an L in my books. Thoughts?

Just about any Kap trade is going to be a L. The team giving up the best player ends up losing.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Jarvis + Nikishin is my target.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just about any Kap trade is going to be a L. The team giving up the best player ends up losing.
Not always. ROR was the best player, and Tage Thompson, a disappointment, when they were traded(along with more pieces going to Buffalo). ROR won a Cup in STL, but going forward, there is no doubt who is more valuable. CO traded Duchene to OTT, who was highly regarded at the time, but his career has been spotty since then, while CO got Girard, and and Byram, among other pieces.

I could go on and on. You have to look at every deal on it's own merits. Right now, we are seeing Kap in his prime. The first year of his new contract will be when he is 29 yo, which is at the back end of his prime, so not only will we be paying him something like 12M-13M/yr for 7-8 years, but it will be for declining play. That has to be balanced against what a great, inspirational player he is in the near future, and what we can get for him in trade.

-If it's young players/draft picks then we will be giving up the present for the future.

- If it's a one for one there are very, very few players that are similar, and available. Marner, maybe? Odds are incredibly slim of a one for one deal.

- I worry that BG would trade Kap for a group of middling players with attitude(Dubinsky types), and a fading veteran(Kreider), because they are "tough to play against".

Reactions: Wild925 and BagHead

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Not always. ROR was the best player, and Tage Thompson, a disappointment, when they were traded(along with more pieces going to Buffalo). ROR won a Cup in STL, but going forward, there is no doubt who is more valuable. CO traded Duchene to OTT, who was highly regarded at the time, but his career has been spotty since then, while CO got Girard, and and Byram, among other pieces.

I could go on and on. You have to look at every deal on it's own merits. Right now, we are seeing Kap in his prime. The first year of his new contract will be when he is 29 yo, which is at the back end of his prime, so not only will we be paying him something like 12M-13M/yr for 7-8 years, but it will be for declining play. That has to be balanced against what a great, inspirational player he is in the near future, and what we can get for him in trade.

-If it's young players/draft picks then we will be giving up the present for the future.

- If it's a one for one there are very, very few players that are similar, and available. Marner, maybe? Odds are incredibly slim of a one for one deal.

- I worry that BG would trade Kap for a group of middling players with attitude(Dubinsky types), and a fading veteran(Kreider), because they are "tough to play against".
If Kaprizov wants to be traded, then BG is not allowed to make the trade because then he should be fired.

Reactions: AKL

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

For me, it's a top prospect along the lines of what you posted, and a roster player as a temporary "replacement", and a 1st or 2nd round pick. I don't think a team would offer that package, though, given that Kaprizov's next contract will also be large. I can't image the list of teams that could do all of 1) afford that price, 2) have the cap space for his next contract, and 3) are a contender, is extensive.

I think the real world is a place where we re-sign Kaprizov, get a poor return on trade, or lose him for nothing.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Dude! Please! Don't want him and his father anywhere near Minnesota. Yikes.
We need a line driver, not the invisible man come playoff time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad