Leafs Morning Take Podcast

July 18th podcast 11:30 into the show

Knies Matthews Marner
Robertson Tavares Nylander
Cowen Domi Jarnkrok
McMann Kampf Reaves

Minton, Dewer, and Holmberg out

"Too many no name guys to do something special"

'The defense looks solid. The forward group looks like Swiss cheese to me".

I think I agree.

Reactions: TimeZone

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
…. but it’s Jay Rosehill - you don’t ever question that kind of hockey mind.

Truthfully - he is not totally wrong. A couple of pieces short.

Reactions: supermann_98

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I've be trumpeting it in a variety of threads, but I don't think he's too far off. The team badly needs another quality center that can allow Tavares to move down to the third line in a scoring role. To make that happen, you move Jarnkrok and Kampf IMO and likely have to pay extra to get some retention. IMO, the forward group looks a lot different if it's...

Domi-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Addition-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Grebenkin
Dewar-Holmberg-Cowan
Reaves

I actually like the potential that 3rd line has a lot. And 2C doesn't have to be anyone special, Nylander will drive that line for the most part. He simply needs to be a guy that has proven he can play.

Utah has Cooley, Hayton, Schmaltz, Bjugstad, Kerfoot, McCain and Stenlund as center options and just drafted Tig Iginla... Put a friggen package together and go get one of Hayton or Schmaltz. Both could easily center Nylander and Knies. Hayton is 24. Schmaltz is 28. Lots of prime left for both. The price won't be cheap, but a 2C is a crucial part of the organization. Robertson, Minten, the 2025 2nd, 2026 1st and even newly drafted Ben Danford should all be pieces Toronto is willing to part with in some combination if they can get a reasonably priced, cost controlled 2C with 60+ point upside for the remainder of Matthews and Nylander's primes.

Last edited:
Reactions: htpwn

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
They'll be fine. They finished 2nd in the league in goals last year. Maybe they'll take a slight step back offensively, but the additions on D and what should be improved goaltending via the removal of Samsonov should more than make up for the loss of Bertuzzi up front. I do think they need a 3rd line Center though.

It's a better team on paper than last year's group in my opinion.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Eh, it’s not Swiss cheese but it ain’t a murderer’s row either.

LW​
C​
RW​
KniesMatthewsMarner
McMannTavaresNylander
RobertsonDomiJarnkrok
DewarKampfReaves
MintenHolmbergCowan

I plugged Cowan and Minten in the depth chart but it could just as easily be Quillan, Hirvonen, or Steeves who take one or both of those spots.

Really the biggest concern is the LW. It’s got talent but it’s so young and inexperienced that it’s hard to know what exactly we’re getting. Three of those guys scored 14-15 goals in the NHL, two of them in only 56 games with minimal playing time. Is it outlandish to expect a similar output or even an improvement from them?

Centre isn’t great but you could do worse with John. He is what he is but what he is is pretty decent, if not uninspiring. Wish we’d kick Kampf to the curb but that’s spilled milk at this point. I put Domi at 3C but he could just as easily be riding shotgun with Matthews again. It’d be great if Holmberg took a step towards solidifying himself as a real option at 3C.

RW is a bevy of riches at least, with two first line talents occupying lines one and two. Jarnkrok is a good 3RW even if he does turn into an offensive ghost in the playoffs. Reaves at 4RW will be something that needs to be addressed, internally or otherwise. But that’s just a fourth line spot.

Forward lineup is more like 3 golden eggs with a whole lot of magic beans strewn about. We might get something special out of a few guys but it’s no guarantee.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Crunch

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Too many question marks. He's not wrong.

Knies
Robertson
Minten
Cowen
McMann
Holmberg
Reaves
Grebyonkin
Dewar

Liljegren
Woll
Stolarz
Hakanpaa/Timmins
Benoit

That's a crazy long list. So many players that aren't exactly reliable, consistent and/or proven. Some will hit and others won't but that's no way of building a cup contender.

These are all question marks that could go pear-shaped. Will Knies take another step? Will the prospects make the team on merit or just get handed a spot?

Playoffs are a long way away but this is a weaker group. Too much reliance on a core that already disappears when it matters.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I am not as negative compared to most, I guess.

We still have the world's greatest goal scorer. We have two 90-point wingers. We have some solid additional pieces in Tavares, Domi, Jarnkrok, Kampf, and Knies (yes, I'd include Knies in that group, and yes, Kampf is a solid depth piece, though overpaid).

This team will be fine in the regular season. The real problem is finding that next level and the forward group is indeed missing a few pieces on that front. I agree with the previous poster who said that even an average #2C would go a long way in rounding out the roster.

The good news: There is always trade deadline to add. Combine that with some growth from within and I think this team can be a Cup contender. The real concern with this team should be the goaltending, IMO. The Stolarz signing was a decent bet but, like any bet, it could flop.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Not sure what ever made Rosehill relevant but the forward group isn’t the issue. The goaltending and D suck
Rosehill is fun to listen to, but hasn’t he been campaigning that the Leafs should trade Mitch? Then the forward group would really look like Swiss cheese.

There’s no room to do anything else significant this year. Time to play the games

Reactions: Leafs87

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
This team's bottom 6 looks particularly bad to me. If Treliving is hoping that Minton/Cowen play regularly then it's a recipe for disaster. That's no shade on each player. It's just too much to ask them to play meaningful hockey in their 1st go as rookies.

The third line has to look like some team's top 6. There has to be talent there. There's just no way. Yes you can easily blame it on the salary allocation of this team.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Assuming Matthews/Marner/Nylander/JT all play in the top 6, I’d say:
- Top 6 very strong
- Bottom 6 quite weak
- Defence mediocre
- Goaltending mediocre if Woll stays healthy, terrible otherwise

Overall, it’s … about what you’d expect with 4 forwards taking up ~half the cap.
Having Tanev, Rielly, and McCabe in your top 4 is mediocre? I think you'll be in for a surprise. Also, OEL will be a nice addition to our bottom 6, and he will help improve the lack of scoring from our defense, which had to be addressed.

How did you come up with the goaltending being mediocre if Woll stays healthy? If he can stay healthy he is a bonafide #1 goalie. And I believe Stolarz will be a solid 1B goalie as well.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Assuming Matthews/Marner/Nylander/JT all play in the top 6, I’d say:
- Top 6 very strong
- Bottom 6 quite weak
- Defence mediocre
- Goaltending mediocre if Woll stays healthy, terrible otherwise

Overall, it’s … about what you’d expect with 4 forwards taking up ~half the cap.

It will always come down to cap. The only way around it is to cheat someone out of deserved salary or have a steady stream of drafted stars

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
This team's bottom 6 looks particularly bad to me. If Treliving is hoping that Minton/Cowen play regularly then it's a recipe for disaster. That's no shade on each player. It's just too much to ask them to play meaningful hockey in their 1st go as rookies.

The third line has to look like some team's top 6. There has to be talent there. There's just no way. Yes you can easily blame it on the salary allocation of this team.
It's a little insane not to be hoping Cowan can get some minutes. He has proven everything he needs to. He just needs a good camp and it isn't wishful thinking that he can make the roster. It would be a disappointment if he doesnt

Reactions: andora and Roo

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Rosehill seems like he's become a bit of an attention whore the last while.
If there is one way to get attention it's to say something negative about the Leafs.

Reactions: Sypher04

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
…. but it’s Jay Rosehill - you don’t ever question that kind of hockey mind.

Truthfully - he is not totally wrong. A couple of pieces short.

The same Jay Rosehill who racked up maybe 2 goals as a Leaf?

Yeah, his opinion counts.:laugh:

Reactions: Budz

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Other than Bertuzzi what’s different than last year?
Nothing lol. Younger, Higher skill players are getting more of a chance to develop such a Robertson, Knies and Possibility Cowan, this is how you develop your roster to be more competitive, allow younger players to grow into good players.

No point in signing someone average like bert for 5m+.. Robertson can score 21g+ this year at 1m cap hit compared to Bert lol.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Nothing lol. Younger, Higher skill players are getting more of a chance to develop such a Robertson, Knies and Possibility Cowan, this is how you develop your roster to be more competitive, allow younger players to grow into good players.

No point in signing someone average like bert for 5m+.. Robertson can score 21g+ this year at 1m cap hit compared to Bert lol.
Totally agree. Bert didn’t exactly light it up here for 5.5M, I would rather give our young talent we’ve been developing a chance and use the Bert money to sign a quality Dman in Tanev.

Reactions: OddyOh and ACC1224

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Domi-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Addition-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Grebenkin
Dewar-Holmberg-Cowan
Reaves

I mean you just got rid of two of our top PK guys so who are you replacing them with in this lineup? people who want to move Kampf/Jarnkrok generally just looking at offense with no care about the defensive side of the game or the Penalty kill. we were a terrible PK last year and by the looks of it from a forward perspective you just made it worst.

Reactions: IronHookem

Ad

Upcoming events

• Tappara Tampere @ HC Dynamo Pardubice
    Tappara Tampere @ HC Dynamo Pardubice
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $105.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Armenia vs Latvia
    Armenia vs Latvia
    Wagers: 3