Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It was a great discussion going back and forth and the show needs more of it. I lean more to MJ’s side but Hayes did bring up some valid points too. Just spoke out of emotion and hypotheticals a little too much.
I agree. Hayes is right about Leafs not proving it in crunch time, but again emotion let him speak other things which weren't accurate. I think he's another Leafs fan like many of us who just needs a playoff series win. I'm at the point where I don't care if they lose 5-0 leads in the 3rd period of every game in the series, but win in OT. I need a series win.

Playoffs will show if this team has changed.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Noodles will go out of his way to defend every other Canadian team

Ottawa: "They have sneaky good players. Solid system in place. Just need a save"

Montreal: "Best goalie in the world. Forwards are talented. Just an off year. I was right about them last year"

Winnipeg: Always picks them to be the best Canadian team. "2nd best goalie in the world. Ehlers>>>>>Nylander"

Edmonton: "Decent supporting cast around 97 and 29. Just need a save"

Calgary: "Sutter the GOAT. 4th best goalie in the world."

Vancouver: (ok I don't recall him defending Vancouver that much)
He does it to every team though that isn't the Leafs.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
So this is something I have noticed with the Sportsnet broadcasts over the past month, could have been happening longer... not sure.

When there is an in-game break (no commercial ), the producer of the show has consistently been running highlight packages or stat graphics while the faceoff is taking place, and then 2-3 seconds after puck drop they switch back to the live action. I find it soooo annoying, it's like they are trying to be cool or something... just show me the faceoff ffs.

I also did notice that Sportsnet did not broadcast the national anthems tonight (unless I missed them?)... finally... it is not necessary for the tv viewer imo, in fact I don't know why they even play them at all at professional sporting events... but whatever. TSN has been doing this for a couple seasons now.

Yes, this is what my life has become during covid... I guess I am lucky this is all I have to complain about.

I noticed that happening since the extended Christmas break. My guess is it's because they're calling the game remotely, the behind the scenes crew is also all out of sync working here on away games (idk I assume they typically are on site) . Or they have someone new filling in. On the other hand, raptors broadcasts have had the same issue for years.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I noticed that happening since the extended Christmas break. My guess is it's because they're calling the game remotely, the behind the scenes crew is also all out of sync working here on away games (idk I assume they typically are on site) . Or they have someone new filling in. On the other hand, raptors broadcasts have had the same issue for years.

Ah, I had not thought of that. Seems purposeful, but it for sure could.be as you say.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
John Shannon must be beside himself. No one in history has ever kissed another's butt as much as Shannon did with Mellanby.

RIP

Funny thing, Shannon was never Mellanby's boy. Basically, HNIC was devided into 2 camps, HNIC Saturday Nights and week days. Shannon was aligned with Don Wallace who controlled the weekday aspect of CSN (the hockey operating arm of McLaren Advertising). It wasn't until CBC took over HNIC that Shannon became directly involved with the Saturday broadcasts.

Mellanby was a trailblazer. He took HNIC into the 1970s and 80s and helped CBC become a leader in the world of satellite communication. He created many of the elements that continued to make HNIC the most popular and highly rated Canadian program until Sportsnet ruined it.

RIP Ralph! You were and always will be Hockey Night in Canada.

Brad C

Jul 12, 2021
I like John Shannon

He has some great stories.Before HNIC he was the gate keeper in the leafs penalty box

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Why did Sportsnet bring this clown back?

He’s extremely pessimistic. I get that these Leafs haven’t given us anything in terms of playoff success but at a certain point you’ve got to tip your cap to a team with a higher than .700 winning percentage. The Leafs have played great for most of the season, full stop. Last night was a great back and forth game. Hell the Leafs had a slight edge.

9E6EF39F-76FE-447C-97C0-9CB1226A7710.jpeg

Side note OverDrive gets so much better when it’s just Hayes and O-Dog.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He’s extremely pessimistic. I get that these Leafs haven’t given us anything in terms of playoff success but at a certain point you’ve got to tip your cap to a team with a higher than .700 winning percentage. The Leafs have played great for most of the season, full stop. Last night was a great back and forth game. Hell the Leafs had a slight edge.

View attachment 505599

Side note OverDrive gets so much better when it’s just Hayes and O-Dog.
No question. Put Siegel or MJ beside them and it's awesome. Noodles doesn't know or care about other sports and pretty much stays quiet during it. Siegal for example covers the Leafs but he clearly knows and watches other sports. He's very knowledgable.
Like if you think Leafs can't be trusted in key moments in the post season, thats fine and true right now. However being negative after every game is tiring.

Also just put Bunkis, Hayes and Bourne in a studio. They are all convinced it's a disgrace Liljegren is allowed to be in an ice rick and they would have a lot of fun duscussing that.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I just want to say: f*** the haters, f*** the doubters, you're all a bunch of bitches and fair weather cowards. This team is incredible. Stop listening to other people who say this team is anything but incredible. Probably 4 top-10 Leafs on the team right now. Maybe 5. This is the best iteration of the best generation of teams most people that have been alive on this board have seen.

The reality is that dumb shit happens in the playoffs. The Montreal Canadiens have gone from Stanley Cup Finalist to what's probably a top-5 all-time professional team sport year-over-year decline. f*** those guys, and f*** their fans. Our rivals are in f***ing tatters. Buffalo is years in to being a joke, and has no real visible path out. Ottawa blew their team up because some guys said some shit that got recorded in an Uber. Even Boston doesn't seem invincible anymore.

Enjoy this moment. Stop taking shit from those guys. Go on the offensive. Tell a Habs fan to f*** off, and that their goaltender just got sidelined on account of being addicted to drugs.

GO MOTHERf***ING LEAFS GO

Reactions: Auston 316

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Noodles totally embarassed himself in the first segment. Pretty much blamed injuries and the coach why the Habs are bad.

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
Odogs takes on the marchand situation have been ridiculous. First he questions whether the punch actually landed and I don't know how anyone who actually watched the video couldn't see that the punch clearly landed solidly. Secondly he acts like we see punches like that all the time. How often do we see clear cut sucker punches to the side of someones head like that?

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Odogs takes on the marchand situation have been ridiculous. First he questions whether the punch actually landed and I don't know how anyone who actually watched the video couldn't see that the punch clearly landed solidly. Secondly he acts like we see punches like that all the time. How often do we see clear cut sucker punches to the side of someones head like that?

Hardly ever, and when we do they are severly punished. This is probably one of his most ridiculous takes recently!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad