Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I don't normally agree with Craig Button but I agree with everything he said about Sheldon Keefe's post comments.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Hockey Media members are like this. & I get why they are. Hockey fans bitch and complain like no other. Media member makes a comment about a team or a player, hockey fans lose their shit. Hockey media member says a player is being shopped, fans flock to Twitter to discredit said hockey media member because they don’t like thatZ No other major sports fan group talks as much shit about their media personalities than hockey fans. But I think that’s just hockey culture in general.

other sports really embrace and engage well with members of their media even if they disagree sometimes and you just don’t see that in hockey. It’s quite sad
Have you heard of football? Not just the NFL, but also College and High School. In my experience, NHL fans are comparatively tame.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Have you heard of football? Not just the NFL, but also College and High School. In my experience, NHL fans are comparatively tame.

I'm talking about rumours and insider info. I'm a huge NFL fan and NFL fans don't shit on insiders like NHL fans do.

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
Noodles on overdrive today "Giordano might not be having an all star season but he's as good as anyone going to the all star game." This guy gets paid to talk about hockey? Giordano is 38 and is clearly nowhere near the player he was 4 years ago when he won the Norris and clearly not anywhere near the level of the best dmen in the league right now.

Reactions: LeafChief

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Noodles on overdrive today "Giordano might not be having an all star season but he's as good as anyone going to the all star game." This guy gets paid to talk about hockey? Giordano is 38 and is clearly nowhere near the player he was 4 years ago when he won the Norris and clearly not anywhere near the level of the best dmen in the league right now.

Heard that too, not sure what year Noodles is living in right now to make such a claim. Hayes and O knew better not to bother wasting time arguing with him over that ridiculous statement.

Reactions: LeafChief

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
On the positive though, Leafs Lunch is really good. Al's Brother and Julia work well with each other. Julia is a huge upgrade over Andi, and you don't have Button on it who would yell for no reason. Al's Brother knows his stuff too.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Is it Noodles’ job to consistently miss the point? Terrible isn’t even the word to describe him.

Would love if he joined Ray at ESPN or something just to get him off Overdrive

He was really annoying on the Johnson segment yesterday. Like Johnson is talking about how poorly constructed the Oilers roster is and Noodles goes and says “well how can you evaluate with such poor goaltending?” Johnson says well who got them the goaltending and Noodles still goes on about skewed player evaluation when that isn’t the point.

Last edited:

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
He was really annoying on the Johnson segment yesterday. Like Johnson is talking about how poorly constructed the roster is and Noodles goes and says “we’ll how can you evaluate with such poor goaltending?” Johnson says well who got them the goaltending and Noodles still goes on about skewed player evaluation when that isn’t the point.
Trying to pass off Josh Anderson’s albatross of a contract as a good deal was comical to say the least

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Trying to pass off Josh Anderson’s albatross of a contract as a good deal was comical to say the least

His whole Habs analysis was comical. “Well they’ve got good players” who cares? Can literally say that about any bad team. The Horachek and tanking Leafs had some good players too and they were still shit collectively.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
His whole Habs analysis was comical. “Well they’ve got good players” who cares? Can literally say that about any bad team. The Horachek and tanking Leafs had some good players too and they were still shit collectively.

I love Noodles on the show... I think he brings an opposing perspective, and honestly the show (for me) is better with him; it's more fun and a little less serious.. I know a lot of people don't like him because of his seemingly anti-Toronto views, but I am not from Toronto so I don't care about those (and agree with many of them). For a Toronto centric show though... yea, I get why it rubs some the wrong way.

That being said, I don't get his stance on this. They were a crap team last year that went on an unbelieveable run led by a world class goalie who got hot... if not for that they are out in Round 1. It's the NHL, every team has good players like you said, but they really don't have very many, or enough who can lead a team consistently. I don't think they are as good as they were last year, and I don't think they are as bad as they are this year... they are hitting their extremes at both ends... they should be a middling team that misses the playoffs and doesn't get a high draft pick... so really, this is working out better for them than if they were playing the way the probably should be.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
He was really annoying on the Johnson segment yesterday. Like Johnson is talking about how poorly constructed the roster is and Noodles goes and says “we’ll how can you evaluate with such poor goaltending?” Johnson says well who got them the goaltending and Noodles still goes on about skewed player evaluation when that isn’t the point.

I had a good laugh at that, right over his head. Noodles spends too much time being contrarian for the sake of it. Nobody thinks you're the smartest person in the room for providing "balance" and forcing a different viewpoint.

Haha yeah the discussion was Habs contracts, cap hit, age and how these players fit the plan going forward. Noodles begins to ramble on about Josh Anderson's skill set in isolation which was never the argument. Misses point completely.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
So this is something I have noticed with the Sportsnet broadcasts over the past month, could have been happening longer... not sure.

When there is an in-game break (no commercial ), the producer of the show has consistently been running highlight packages or stat graphics while the faceoff is taking place, and then 2-3 seconds after puck drop they switch back to the live action. I find it soooo annoying, it's like they are trying to be cool or something... just show me the faceoff ffs.

I also did notice that Sportsnet did not broadcast the national anthems tonight (unless I missed them?)... finally... it is not necessary for the tv viewer imo, in fact I don't know why they even play them at all at professional sporting events... but whatever. TSN has been doing this for a couple seasons now.

Yes, this is what my life has become during covid... I guess I am lucky this is all I have to complain about.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Noodles will go out of his way to defend every other Canadian team

Ottawa: "They have sneaky good players. Solid system in place. Just need a save"

Montreal: "Best goalie in the world. Forwards are talented. Just an off year. I was right about them last year"

Winnipeg: Always picks them to be the best Canadian team. "2nd best goalie in the world. Ehlers>>>>>Nylander"

Edmonton: "Decent supporting cast around 97 and 29. Just need a save"

Calgary: "Sutter the GOAT. 4th best goalie in the world."

Vancouver: (ok I don't recall him defending Vancouver that much)

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
They really need to give MJ a promotion. He is an absolute star. He did a fantastic job standing up to Hayes's comments today.

It was a great discussion going back and forth and the show needs more of it. I lean more to MJ’s side but Hayes did bring up some valid points too. Just spoke out of emotion and hypotheticals a little too much.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad