Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v7 (2022 Edition)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't agree with the "Cap going up" solves all our issues. Mainly because the flat cap has caused all non super star salaries to stagnate somewhat. Do you think you're picking up Kampf and Bunting for as little as you did this off season if the cap was at $90M? That is the flaw in the plan no matter what happen with covid and a flat cap. The players want a % of the cap and that means the $$ will go up just because of math. The flaw is having a 2nd line center making 2-3x what we should be paying for. That submarines the whole thing no matter what the cap is.
Let's say no covid and the cap was 10% higher. So we have to pay Kampf and Bunting 10% more, that's basically a rounding error, no significant impact there.

Hayes is literally the person who said Leafs are not better off in this era than the Clarkson era. These people should be ignored all together.
To compare it to the Raptors, he started attacking the Raps for not trading Lowry a year ago, and said it doesn't matter if you made a bad trade, you should have traded him. Yet someone we are supposed to take guys like him as knowledgable?
People really need to get it through their heads that Hayes is an entertainer, period. He's basically like a random person who posts here - sometimes his takes are good, sometimes he's way off but thinking he knows more than anyone else because he's on TV is dumb. They talk about all kinds of sports on their show, so people think they're experts on all of them?

I remember Dubas saying after he overpaid Marner that this was the new reality and teams are going to have to start paying the RFA's from now on. That "now" - lasted about 1 month before other teams got good deals on their players. Once again...Dubas tried to reinvent hockey in some way and got burned.
He really said that? Yikes! I gotta say I like most of the work he's done here, but the more I hear about things he's said here and there, the more I wish he'd just keep his mouth shut.

Reactions: stickty111

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Let's say no covid and the cap was 10% higher. So we have to pay Kampf and Bunting 10% more, that's basically a rounding error, no significant impact there.

People really need to get it through their heads that Hayes is an entertainer, period. He's basically like a random person who posts here - sometimes his takes are good, sometimes he's way off but thinking he knows more than anyone else because he's on TV is dumb. They talk about all kinds of sports on their show, so people think they're experts on all of them?

He really said that? Yikes! I gotta say I like most of the work he's done here, but the more I hear about things he's said here and there, the more I wish he'd just keep his mouth shut.

He's kind of right though. Now, any good RFA is either getting a contract that starts with at least an 8 or a a bridge with a very high QO that puts all the leverage in the player's hands.

Look at some of the RFAs that have signed in the past 2 years: Nick Suzuki around $8M, Kaprizov got $9M after 1 season, Quinn Hughes at around $8M, Adam Fox at $9.5M, Jack Hughes got a ridiculous $8M contract, Brady Tkachuk etc etc.

None of those guys, outside of Fox, had the track record as Mitch at the time of getting their contracts. And Mitch is significantly better that most of these guys except for Kaprizov and Fox and he's probably slightly more impactful than both these guys.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He's kind of right though. Now, any good RFA is either getting a contract that starts with at least an 8 or a a bridge with a very high QO that puts all the leverage in the player's hands.

Look at some of the RFAs that have signed in the past 2 years: Nick Suzuki around $8M, Kaprizov got $9M after 1 season, Quinn Hughes at around $8M, Adam Fox at $9.5M, Jack Hughes got a ridiculous $8M contract, Brady Tkachuk etc etc.

None of those guys, outside of Fox, had the track record as Mitch at the time of getting their contracts. And Mitch is significantly better that most of these guys except for Kaprizov and Fox and he's probably slightly more impactful than both these guys.
I'm not saying Hayes is always wrong, I just don't consider him to be an expert or anything, far from it.

I'm not familiar with the details on all those guys, Fox is the guy I remember the best but whatever. Hayes might be right here, kind of, like you said. Hey even Dubas is kind of right sometimes. :)

I like Dubas I really do but I just think it's better to be right about something and keep your mouth shut then to be right about something and broadcast it to the world. Maybe it's just a matter of taste I dunno, I never cared for much for bragging. Win a cup FFS, then win another one and another after that, then when you're rebuilding again do a bit of bragging if you really feel you need to. JMHO.

Reactions: Brobust

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Pretty much. As a host, he's terrific. His takes should be ignored all together. Also I want to see the Leafs sign Liljegren long term to see him lose his mind.
He did say that. It was such a terrible comment

Reactions: Gary Nylund

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Listening to Leafs Lunch again. Craig Button once again about 3 second in says how Al's Brother is completely wrong. Like first 3 questions/discussion topic by the Hosts his reply is you're wrong.

Like can't someone just put him in his place one day..... I remember Gord Miller did once and he didn't even acknowledge it.... Remember how Pavel Datsyuk once said winning Olympic Gold was more important and the Stanley Cup to him. Button was like no way that's not true at all. Gord looks up the quote reads it to Button and he doesn't even say oh I was wrong or my bad, or never heard that. Just started talking about something else.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
If they took that path with him, he'd be at $8M or so and probably demanding $12M+ for next season. Would that put Toronto in a better cap situation?
Yes it would have for the time of his(Marner's) current deal because we would not have had to trade away Patty's contract and a 1st along with Kappy, Johnsson and Connor Brown to name just a few over the last few years. It's not like we got some 8yr deal out of it to say we paid a bit more and saved later.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Yes it would have for the time of his(Marner's) current deal because we would not have had to trade away Patty's contract and a 1st along with Kappy, Johnsson and Connor Brown to name just a few over the last few years. It's not like we got some 8yr deal out of it to say we paid a bit more and saved later.

You named some real difference makers there.

And hopefully, when Rodion Amirov is fully healthy, he will be a good player for the leafs. Enough to assuage the loss of the 13th overall pick.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario

Have you seen those 3 play? Marner + 2 entry level players is miles ahead what they'd get you.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Has there been any talk on Overdrive about Hayes' absence? He's Derringer's nephew so I wonder if there's a tie-in.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Has there been any talk on Overdrive about Hayes' absence? He's Derringer's nephew so I wonder if there's a tie-in.
I don't listen to Overdrive, but I was curious if this might have been the case. Too much of a coincidence for his absence to not be considered tied to the allegations against his uncle.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I don't listen to Overdrive, but I was curious if this might have been the case. Too much of a coincidence for his absence to not be considered tied to the allegations against his uncle.
I think he was there Tuesday but not the last 2 days. I think they normally say something if one of the 3 has time off and they have plans so this speaks volumes if it's unscheduled. I feel bad for him because of the association.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan

I may have met Hayes at one time or another, should I be worried about an ethics investigation at work?

Reactions: Nylanderthal

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
Why? There isn't much to say about the Leafs right now. The playoffs are still going. Unless you're saying Leaf fans don't care about the playoffs now.
No of course I wouldnt expect leafs talk now, just listening to that segment he seemed right in his element. Sometimes it awkward when he forces his voice of reason all the time and his other sports acumen is lacking

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
No of course I wouldnt expect leafs talk now, just listening to that segment he seemed right in his element. Sometimes it awkward when he forces his voice of reason all the time and his other sports acumen is lacking
The guy grew up in the Edmonton area, played in Calgary and then after retirement, coached in Calgary.

I would expect him to be well versed in the battle of Alberta.

Reactions: BorntoLose

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
They said he simply booked off a couple vacation days a while ago. Probably just said 2 weeks after Leafs done. Wouldn't surprise me if he's off Monday too.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Why does Hayes think that if you took away reviews for offsides, there would have been less uproar about the Makar goal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad